The Splash Mountain Appreciation Thread

Walt Disney1955

So how do you push for the ride to stay the same? I am hearing that the "racist" angle is a mere smokescreen and that the true reason could actually be just cost-cutting with the animatronics. That bothers me as well, since how many Disney rides are filled with animatronics? Pirates, Small World, Carousel of Progress, Hall of Presidents, Peter Pan, CBJ, American Adventure, Little Mermaid, etc. Lots of them. All of this anti-American stuff is really bothersome as well, and I'm a Canadian and it bothers me a lot. That doesn't bode well for a lot of different rides all over the place. If Disney is caving to supposed racism, that's a bad thing. If they are caving because they are cheap and are willing to let perhaps the best ride in the park die because they can make things cheaper, then that's possibly even worse. Both are bad.

Does anybody else remember Dixie Landings before it was renamed Port Orleans Riverside? It had a lot of neat Br'er Rabbit stuff. He was on the shower curtains in the Alligator Bayou section, he was on the resort's refillable mug, the shop was always stocked with Br'er/Splash merchandise.

John park hopper

Does anybody else remember Dixie Landings before it was renamed Port Orleans Riverside? It had a lot of neat Br'er Rabbit stuff. He was on the shower curtains in the Alligator Bayou section, he was on the resort's refillable mug, the shop was always stocked with Br'er/Splash merchandise.
Sure do --we stayed there when my boys were young they loved it. I went to WDW shortly after it opened in 71 and all I can say is I am glad I got to visit before all this PC nonsense started. IMO it is a shame Disney has caved to to the few at the expensive of the many. My last visit will be when my grandsons are old enough to go --Thanks for the memories of old Disney

One of the things I've seen the Splash critics bring up a lot is the Walt Disney quote: “Disneyland is something that will never be finished,” but I’m pretty sure he wouldn’t take a consistent smash-hit, crowd-pleaser for the past three decades like Splash Mountain and say, “Hey, guys, I know this is a masterpiece and people absolutely love it, but what the hey, let’s gut it.”

Here are some other Walt Disney quotes which make me believe he would not be in favor of this change:

“You can’t live on things made for children – or for critics. I’ve never made films for either of them.”

“We are not trying to entertain the critics. I’ll take my chances with the public.”

“I love the nostalgic myself. I hope we never lose some of the things of the past.”

“Happiness is a state of mind. It’s just according to the way you look at things.”

“That’s the real trouble with the world, too many people grow up. They forget. They don’t remember what it’s like to be twelve years old. They patronize, they treat children as inferiors. I won’t do that. I’ll temper a story, yes. But I won’t play down, and I won’t patronize.”

KenHutch

I have loved this ride since 2006 on our 1st trip. My then 5 year old daughter got soaked. She looked at me and said Daddy Your Fired. It cost me a Haunted Mansion Top Hat before she told me I was daddy again. Planned for a year? Maybe by an Imagineer wanting to make his/her career. This was a knee jerk reaction by a CEO who I refer to as a legend in his own mind. Just stupid but with the money that WDW is bleeding and with new projects on hold this could turn out to be an improvement that it years away.

Parker in NYC

One of the things I've seen the Splash critics bring up a lot is the Walt Disney quote: “Disneyland is something that will never be finished,” but I’m pretty sure he wouldn’t take a consistent smash-hit, crowd-pleaser for the past three decades like Splash Mountain and say, “Hey, guys, I know this is a masterpiece and people absolutely love it, but what the hey, let’s gut it.”

Here are some other Walt Disney quotes which make me believe he would not be in favor of this change:

“You can’t live on things made for children – or for critics. I’ve never made films for either of them.”

“We are not trying to entertain the critics. I’ll take my chances with the public.”

“I love the nostalgic myself. I hope we never lose some of the things of the past.”

“Happiness is a state of mind. It’s just according to the way you look at things.”

“That’s the real trouble with the world, too many people grow up. They forget. They don’t remember what it’s like to be twelve years old. They patronize, they treat children as inferiors. I won’t do that. I’ll temper a story, yes. But I won’t play down, and I won’t patronize.”

I don't see how any of those quotes apply to the issue at hand. Also, welcome to the boards.

Bpmorley

I love this ride. I get some of the controversy, but come one people. We are talking about a movie made 75 years ago. get over it.

dave&di

Splash mountain was my favourite ride, it was second ride I went on during my first trip to WDW in 2008, first being PP! I’m not a thrill seeker, I’m more about atmosphere and entertainment. This instantly showed me ‘disney’ it had great theming and to me it was a ‘thrill’ ride, that is the type of ‘coaster’ I'm happy to do! It won’t be there for my 2022 trip 😢

tanc

Tokyo has an exclusive Splash Mountain theme quick service restaurant. There's a seating area near the passing log flumes.

Attachments

• grandma-saras-tokyo-disneyland-restaurant-010.jpg
    grandma-saras-tokyo-disneyland-restaurant-010.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 142
  • sara 2.jpeg
    sara 2.jpeg
    213.6 KB · Views: 125
  • sara.jpg
    sara.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 138
  • grandma-saras-tokyo-disneyland-restaurant-009.jpg
    grandma-saras-tokyo-disneyland-restaurant-009.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 130
  • tdlgmasplash.jpg
    tdlgmasplash.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
There's the little things such as seeing the stump of Chickapin Hill from Adventureland as you're walking that way and watching logs go down at night with the distant sound of harmonicas and banjos while you're eating at Pecos Bills that would just completely vanish with a retheme.
One of my first Disney memories is eating at Pecos while being so excited to take on Splash! One of the best atmospheric moments in the Park

Brer Oswald

One of my first Disney memories is eating at Pecos while being so excited to take on Splash! One of the best atmospheric moments in the Park
That was me but completely terrified. I didn’t know that within that hour, my love for Disney would be reignited, and I’d have a new dream...only for that all to be crushed years later.

Just for fun, some dialogue out of Song of the South:

Johnny: I wish I had a Laughing Place.
Ginny: Me, too.
Uncle Remus: What makes you think you ain't? Course you got a Laughing Place.
Johnny: Really, Uncle Remus?
Ginny: Really?
Uncle Remus: Everybody's got one. The trouble is, most folks won't take time to go look for it.
Johnny, Ginny: Where's mine?
Uncle Remus: Well, now, that I can't exactly say. 'Cause where 'tis for one mightn't be where 'tis for another.

JillC LI

Splash Mountain is a classic that I've always enjoyed. But the ride is not going anywhere, just the theming. While I may miss the original theming (as I do with POTC), I understand and support the reason for the change. Everyone can still get their big fun, wet drop at the end.

novum

I very much enjoy the flume ride, especially its length, and so I'm very happy the flume ride remains. I never liked the "theming" (and honestly always found it in poor/questionable taste), so I'm happy its changing and can't wait to see the new theme design. I also wish one got a little more wet from the drops!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom