The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Since it's Disney and live action they will probably produce the first Star Wars film ever which LOSES money. Another 'John Carter' with 3x the budget and 30x the #FAIL

I don't see any scenario where Ep7 makes less the $1 Billion world wide. Ep1, widely considered the worst of the SW movies, released 15 years ago still managed to make $1 Billion world wide.

Gomer

Figure Distribution budgets to be 1/2 2/3 of Production, The Box Office figures I saw for the last two Pirates Movies were 475 and 325 Million respectively. I don't recall those as being billion dollar movies could be wrong however.

And I DO enjoy Johnny Depp wandering 'round looking for the next bottle of rum.

Not trying to contradict you, but they guys at box office mojo do a good job of tracking this stuff. These are the numbers they have listed for the last two Pirate's movies. Linked for reference.

Clearly worldwide is where they see their biggest success. Domestically popularity is falling. But money is money no matter where you get it.

At Worlds End:
Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $309,420,425 32.1%
+ Foreign: $654,000,000 67.9%
= Worldwide: $963,420,425
http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=piratesofthecaribbean3.htm

On Stranger Tides:
Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $241,071,802 23.1%
+ Foreign: $804,642,000 76.9%
= Worldwide: $1,045,713,802
http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=piratesofthecaribbean4.htm

ABQ

Since the next Thor movie will be made BY Disney the director and producer and even the composer for the score have bailed out of the project a real vote of confidence there in Disney's live action skills. (ie they want no part of a large scale failure).
Where's the story on the new Thor movie? I didn't even know it was announced yet.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Not trying to contradict you, but they guys at box office mojo do a good job of tracking this stuff. These are the numbers they have listed for the last two Pirate's movies. Linked for reference.

Clearly worldwide is where they see their biggest success. Domestically popularity is falling. But money is money no matter where you get it.

At Worlds End:
Total Lifetime Grosses

On Stranger Tides:
Total Lifetime Grosses

Thanks @Gomer, I'm not a big movie fan and most of my info on that front comes from the WSJ, I had not heard of Boxofficemojo until you pointed it out to me.

the.dreamfinder

At Worlds End:
Total Lifetime Grosses

On Stranger Tides:
Total Lifetime Grosses
Also worth mentioning that China and Russia, which are two of the fastest growing international markets for Hollywood films, had fewer screens than they do today which actually hurt those films international grosses in retrospect.

jt04

By commenting here one learns new things, Also one learns when one is incorrect but unless the question or statement is made one does not learn the objective truth from others.

I am pretty sure Star Wars falls into the 'live action' category also. So there is that. There are also rumors percolating of an Indiana Jones reboot. Not to mention possible live action movies coming from Pixar.

71jason

Also if you're on Twitter, there is a bob office analyst named Gitesh Pandya who reads off BO numbers throughout the weekend.

Yeah, Box Office Guru. I feel bad whenever I forget that site, because I actually went to college with Gitesh (and it wasn't a big college!). He was doing the B.O. analysis thing back when "the internet" was just message boards.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
I don't see any scenario where Ep7 makes less the $1 Billion world wide. Ep1, widely considered the worst of the SW movies, released 15 years ago still managed to make $1 Billion world wide.

And to boot, JJ Abrams has a very good track record with tent-pole type releases. Not a dedicated Star Trek fan but the movies in general were engaging, my son who hated Star Trek liked the reboots enough to see them multiple times with friends and me.

Moving back to film for a more retro feel, bringing back the original trio even in supporting rolls, building sets for the more realistic feel instead of green screen work add up to JJ Abrams bringing more realism to the film while hopefully working from a stellar script. I will take a wait and see approach generally but for SW7 I have very high hopes tempered with mediocre expectations.

It is a guarantee that they will get $13 for me for the IMAX version opening day. Disney knows this, they have to produce a movie that captures the 99% of people who won't go to the opening.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
And to boot, JJ Abrams has a very good track record with tent-pole type releases. Not a dedicated Star Trek fan but the movies in general were engaging, my son who hated Star Trek liked the reboots enough to see them multiple times with friends and me.

Moving back to film for a more retro feel, bringing back the original trio even in supporting rolls, building sets for the more realistic feel instead of green screen work add up to JJ Abrams bringing more realism to the film while hopefully working from a stellar script. I will take a wait and see approach generally but for SW7 I have very high hopes tempered with mediocre expectations.

It is a guarantee that they will get $13 for me for the IMAX version opening day. Disney knows this, they have to produce a movie that captures the 99% of people who won't go to the opening.

I am a Star Trek fan and I did enjoy JJ Abrams reboot, In light of the director Ep 7 has the potential to be great however if corporate lards it up with PC crap like the did with John Carter and Lone Ranger it can also be unimaginably awful.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom