The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

TarzanRocked99-

Good point. I think there is a bit of sensationalism here just as there is on the other side of the coin, but good point nonetheless. I haven't stayed here, but I have heard decent things about it. We did eat at one of their restaurants and it was pretty subpar.

So if this hotel is far cheaper and not "ungodly" ;) expensive, I would be curious to know if the occupancy rate is substantially higher. If swalphin is on par with the boardwalk resorts (room, amenities, etc) and is 70% the cost, then I would assume it will be much higher than the other three in that area.
Swan/Do runs at much higher occupancy than the rest of the Disney Deluxe options although their Revpar is generally a bit lower.

NormC

Because the going rate for the theme park rights for Marvel would be a lot higher today than what Marvel asked for pre-movies when they were digging out of bankruptcy. They are locked into an agreement they would never make under the current situation. They would get out of this in a heartbeat if they could.

Of course the contract benefits both parties. It currently benefits Uni much more than it benefits Marvel/Disney.
Disney/Marvel gets money for nothing. Uni has to do all the work. Uni only gets revenue from the admission to the theme park and they have to spend some of it to pay Disney and maintain the Marvel Universe to Marvel's standards as defined in the contract. I still see Disney/Marvel as the winner here but we can agree to disagree.

bhg469

I'm surprised they haven't thought to come out with an option to create a custom Dining plan.
Like the ability to select x amount of QS/TS credits and/or snacks.
We got free dining this year and have about 9 QS credits that will probably go to waste.
For a few meals, tangerine cafe especially, we could have shared a QS meal. And like I said I can eat! It was just a lot of food.

seascape

I'm surprised they haven't thought to come out with an option to create a custom Dining plan.
Like the ability to select x amount of QS/TS credits and/or snacks.
We got free dining this year and have about 9 QS credits that will probably go to waste.
I'll post this before someone else does. you are supposed to waste credits. that is one of the ways Disney makes money. It is also one of the reasons to determine which offer is better, the discounted room or the free dining. In many cases the discounted room is a better deal.

71jason

They will have a lot of freedom then, because as changed of appearance more than a NFL player changes socks.
and some of these changes are kinda radical.
Specially for Rocket and Groot.

Agreed. Plus the characters don't really fit in a Marvelized NYC. I think Universal misses the boat on GotG; if it's a hit, they'll cry themselves to sleep a bed stuffed with $1,000s made from Diagon Alley.

Well deserved.. ipad photographers look hilariously bad... only worse thing is.. videotaping with an ipad!

Yup--apparently iPad guy wanted to videotape the performance that was to be shown on national TV just 2 hours later. Because your iPad in the middle of a crowd is going to do a better job than all the professional cameramen above and around the stage.

But then again, I feel the same way about people who videotape parades. Live in the moment and enjoy it; plenty of video online if you ever feel the need to relive it. Or do your friends not really believe you went to WDW?

Last edited:

lebeau

Disney/Marvel gets money for nothing. Uni has to do all the work. Uni only gets revenue from the admission to the theme park and they have to spend some of it to pay Disney and maintain the Marvel Universe to Marvel's standards as defined in the contract. I still see Disney/Marvel as the winner here but we can agree to disagree.

Sure we can.

Let me ask you this though. Would Disney sign that contract today?

I know Universal would. Disney would not. They would either use the property themselves or demand a heck of a lot more money for it.

Universal wins.

seascape

First class standards are subjective. It would be difficult for Disney win a dispute over the upkeep and upgrading the attractions based on Disney standards. However, Universal has to maintain them to first class standards and they have set that rather high. Universal has to keep the Marvel Attractions to the same standards as HP. That is how six flags can keep the DC rights and only have to keep them to the first class standards that exist in their parks. Subjective standards are hard to determine. I think everyone here would agree that Universal's standards on HP are as high as anyones. DA look fantastic and that is what matters.

NormC

Would they sign it today? Probably not. If they did I agree it would be worth a lot more. Disney however is not losing anything as they still have an income stream for doing nothing but keeping the status quo of a contract that existed before they were the owners. If Disney were losing money from the deal I am sure they would buy it out. But for now it is money for nothing and they have no reason to change that. There is no current need to put those characters in WDW. Disney wins.

71jason

You know how much crap I get from people in real life because of posters who do things like that?

It becomes more & more difficult to defend being on this message board lately.

You put it out to the public? Be ready to defend yourself, or shut up and take it. Scpeshul snowflakes need to stay off Twitter.

That said, if you post about Tweets here but not on Twiter--or if you post about MAGICal threads on Twitter but not here--you're basically a spineless Gen Y wussy, and the reason our nation is in decline.

seascape

Swan/Do runs at much higher occupancy than the rest of the Disney Deluxe options although their Revpar is generally a bit lower.
I always wanted to stay at the Swan/Dolphin. I finally did last September and would never stay their again. The refrigerator did not work and one of the lights was out when we moved in. Then the next day there was water all over the bathroom, the toilet had a leak. What did they do for me. they moved me to a room one floor below and gave my wife and I a free breakfast. Wow. I even ran into others at the pool and they said their refrigerators did not work either. Their service stunk, they have all sorts of hidden fees and they don't care about their customers. I would never stay their again.

PrincessNelly_NJ

I'll post this before someone else does. you are supposed to waste credits. that is one of the ways Disney makes money. It is also one of the reasons to determine which offer is better, the discounted room or the free dining. In many cases the discounted room is a better deal.
I guess. We will probably find a way to spend them. Maybe use them to pay for another family's meal.
Free Dining saved us 1,100. Those 9 credits are probably worth $100 to $140. No room discount is offered for that week as of now and probably won't be since I'm at POFQ, so we still came out ahead.;)

lebeau

Would they sign it today? Probably not. If they did I agree it would be worth a lot more. Disney however is not losing anything as they still have an income stream for doing nothing but keeping the status quo of a contract that existed before they were the owners. If Disney were losing money from the deal I am sure they would buy it out. But for now it is money for nothing and they have no reason to change that. There is no current need to put those characters in WDW. Disney wins.

It was a good deal for both parties at the time. But at the time, Universal was able to negotiate pretty much whatever terms they wanted. Marvel needed money desperately. And they could have cared less about theme park rights because they were never going to own a theme park.

Since them, things have obviously changed. The Marvel movies have greatly increased the profile of the Marvel properties. They are more in demand than ever before. But Universal still gets to use them at bargain basement prices.

Given that Disney can't go back and time and prevent the contract from being signed, they are perfectly content to keep collecting licensing fees. That's the point you are making and it's valid. But it doesn't change the fact the contract favors Universal heavily.

NormC

Given that Disney can't go back and time and prevent the contract from being signed, they are perfectly content to keep collecting licensing fees. That's the point you are making and it's valid. But it doesn't change the fact the contract favors Universal heavily.
My point is that Disney gets money for nothing. All the costs involved are Uni's. Yes I am positive Uni still nets a profit but so does Disney. Disney benefits from the deal that they had nothing to do with.

seascape

It was a good deal for both parties at the time. But at the time, Universal was able to negotiate pretty much whatever terms they wanted. Marvel needed money desperately. And they could have cared less about theme park rights because they were never going to own a theme park.

Since them, things have obviously changed. The Marvel movies have greatly increased the profile of the Marvel properties. They are more in demand than ever before. But Universal still gets to use them at bargain basement prices.

Disney paid less for Marvel than they would have if it the Marvel/Universal deal had been a good deal for Marvel. You can't look at this in a vacume. Marvel has been a gold mine for Disney which may not have happened if their had not been a Marvel/Universal deal. A better question is why did Universal give up the rights in California and the rest of the world. That makes no sense to me and is why I believe the day will come when Universal gives up the rights for nothing. I see no reason for Disney to ever buy them because they don't need them in Orlando.

lebeau

My point is that Disney gets money for nothing. All the costs involved are Uni's. Yes I am positive Uni still nets a profit but so does Disney. Disney benefits from the deal that they had nothing to do with.

There is no such thing as "money for nothing". They are locked into a contract they would never sign today. Getting out of it is more money than it is worth. So they will maintain the status quo.

Win?

PhotoDave219

You put it out to the public? Be ready to defend yourself, or shut up and take it. Scpeshul snowflakes need to stay off Twitter.

That said, if you post about Tweets here but not on Twiter--or if you post about MAGICal threads on Twitter but not here--you're basically a spineless Gen Y wussy, and the reason our nation is in decline.

Agreed. I have. I problem defending what I say, I just get sick and tired of hipsters and twinker people getting all righteously indignant about a message board post.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom