The Spirited Back Nine ...

the.dreamfinder

Disney's letting Lucasfilm do projects besides Star Wars. Lucasfilm Animation and ILM are putting out a film called Strange Magic, a loose animated musical version of A Midsummer's Night Dream.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=125026
I was wondering if that was still happening. It seems there's no confidence in it if they're dropping it in mid January. However, Lucasfilm did make the little know, well loved Twice Upon A Time.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/touchstone-release-lucasfilms-animated-strange-748181

PhotoDave219

The are doing the Frozen themed mall castles around us.
I'm not sure if Disney is part of these events though.

I believe they are… I've seen a bunch of them on Facebook. And I wasn't searching amount, somehow my friends went to those things. Hopefully Betty Ford will find away from my friends to recover after such a horrifying experience.

PhotoDave219

A high of 0 is delightful compared to a Polar Vortex in far northern Wisconsin. -40 without windchill. It was so cold that the nav screen in my vehicle was frozen and wouldn't move. I was out snowmobiling the night before in -20ish and it wasn't bad, a little brisk at times but overall I was comfortable. But -40 is just absurd.

Since when did we start referring to an arctic low-pressure system as a polar vortex?

It bugs the living crap out of me when where marketing terms are suddenly felt into meteorology with the intention of scaring people so they can get advertising dollars or page clicks.

See also http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polar_vortex

71jason

I missed the Travel Channel special where Uni Creative hyped up the Weasley figure and bragged about it being the one-of-a-kind centerpiece of Diagon Alley.

Probably because it was on NBC, not Travel Channel.

But come on. It's meant to be the first thing you see when you walk in, to "announce" you're in Diagon Alley--and it doesn't work far more often than it does. Its not as bad as the barkers in London, but it's a definite fail.

Cesar R M

You are obviously not in the food business. Food trucks are no cheaper then brick and mortar locations any more. They are a fad that allow cool cuisines to flourish with little overhead cash outlay.

Food is no cheaper. And in some cases way more expensive.
food trucks still have one big point.
If the economy sucks or the food is not popular in a zone, you can move the truck elsewhere.
Its not fixed.
So you dont have to shell insane $$$ on location.

Cesar R M

Since when did we start referring to an arctic low-pressure system as a polar vortex?

It bugs the living **** out of me when where marketing terms are suddenly felt into meteorology with the intention of scaring people so they can get advertising dollars or page clicks.

See also http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polar_vortex
Well, they have to sell news..
The Ebola thing is slowing down.
So, its either the "polar vortex".. or the violence in Mexico.

PhotoDave219

Well, they have to sell news..
The Ebola thing is slowing down.
So, its either the "polar vortex".. or the violence in Mexico.

Fear is the ultimate commodity. Fear sells.

Fear of not being the best. Fear of not having the latest device. Fear of not being on the cutting edge. Fear that your woman won't want you anymore. Fear that the world is going to come to an end. Fear that your vacation will not be the best ever if you don't upgrade to the special party. Fear of being left out.

Everything is sold to us using fear. Politicians. The weather. Crappy German lager for export only. And the marketing geniuses of the world exploit this like nobody's business…

TalkingHead

Probably because it was on NBC, not Travel Channel.

But come on. It's meant to be the first thing you see when you walk in, to "announce" you're in Diagon Alley--and it doesn't work far more often than it does. Its not as bad as the barkers in London, but it's a definite fail.

All true, but the comparison was to the Yeti, and I'm calling a false analogy on that point.

OSUgirl77

I believe they are… I've seen a bunch of them on Facebook. And I wasn't searching amount, somehow my friends went to those things. Hopefully Betty Ford will find away from my friends to recover after such a horrifying experience.
Yeah, photos from these things have infested my Facebook as well. I just assumed they weren't Disney sanctioned, based on the questionable looking Annas and Elsas. One friend said they stood in line for 5 hours at one of these events. Insanity.

Donald Razorduck

I would say a video game/board game/toy themed park (linked by childhood/imagination) would fit better than a music themed park.

Music is pretty limited as to how many lands/attractions there could be

I get what your saying. What toys? GI Joe? What else that isn't snapped up. Nick has their own properties and license agreements.

Music has plenty to fill a park, it doesn't have to be themes lands. That's the Disney coming out. But you could do lands if you had to. 60s London Scene, hippie peace scene, hairspray 80s LA just to name a few. That place had an awesome dark ride based off The Moody Blues' Knights in White Satin. A mine train coaster to the Eagles. The music and artist lended it all it needed but location and 08 killed that place.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Off topic, but I thought this thread would the best place to ask this question. I have seen a few places doing "Frozen" events around Atlanta. Our local roller skating rink is advertising Frozen party once a week, Piedmont Park in the city had a banner up recently promoting a Frozen event as well, I even saw something related to Frozen at what appeared to be a day care center. Funny thing was that none of the banners/signs had a Disney trademark. They DID have the official Frozen and/or Anna, Elsa, Olaf on them though. Is this illegal? Does anybody else see anything like this in there area?

I would bet some of these places are trying to fly under the radar with this stuff. Here's a video of a Frozen sing along done in Ocean City, NJ over the summer. I would be surprised if Disney approved this.

FigmentFreak

Fear is the ultimate commodity. Fear sells.

Fear of not being the best. Fear of not having the latest device. Fear of not being on the cutting edge. Fear that your woman won't want you anymore. Fear that the world is going to come to an end. Fear that your vacation will not be the best ever if you don't upgrade to the special party. Fear of being left out.

I'm afraid I don't understand what you're trying to say with this ;)

truecoat

I get what your saying. What toys? GI Joe? What else that isn't snapped up. Nick has their own properties and license agreements.

Music has plenty to fill a park, it doesn't have to be themes lands. That's the Disney coming out. But you could do lands if you had to. 60s London Scene, hippie peace scene, hairspray 80s LA just to name a few. That place had an awesome dark ride based off The Moody Blues' Knights in White Satin. A mine train coaster to the Eagles. The music and artist lended it all it needed but location and 08 killed that place.

Another thing that killed that place was the way it was marketed. Vague marketing for a project like that doesn't work.

FrankLapidus

Skipper John was most notable not listening to advice when dealing with Disney Interactive business unit and their projects. Also not listening with regard to the issues with park rides without knowledge of how to build a ride.

I also would say animation is done better elsewhere at a cheaper cost. e.g. Toy Story 3 budget was around $200million and DM2 was around $76million. Others who work at Pixar, like Pete Docter who can do JL role and possibly be better.

Disney get bashed for cutting costs at the parks and now you're criticising them for allocating big budgets to animation. If $200 million finances a film of such quality as Toy Story 3 then I hope they spend the same money on all of their animated features. Its not like the budgets have effected the profitability of the films; Toy Story 3 was a huge critical and commerical success, likewise Frozen while Big Hero 6 has just beaten the latest Christopher Nolan blockbuster at the box office.

Not too long ago David Stainton was sitting at the top table of Disney animation, critiquing Musker and Clements' Fraidy Cat and giving tips to Barry Cook on My Peoples. Unsurprisingly neither of those promising films ever saw the light of day having been effectively destroyed by a leadership that barely had two creative brain cells to rub together, that had no business being at WDFA let alone granted free reign over the division to cut costs, destroy morale and micromanage genuinely creative talents.

Lasseter has completely turned WDFA's fortunes around. Animation is his real domain, that is where he is best, that is the industry in which he has built a lasting legacy and that is where he, along with Ed Catmull, has instigated a huge upturn in quality and success at Disney.

Pete Docter might well be a long-term successor down the line because he and others like Andrew Stanton have been involved in the collaborative creative process that has defined Pixar's success and is now a major part of the creative process at Disney animation, having been implemented by Lasseter and Catmull.

The suggestion that Disney would be better off without "Skipper John" just doesn't hold any weight. Animation is where he will ultimately be judged and Disney animation is thriving in ways it hasn't since the "Renaissance" of the early to mid-90' under his creative leadership.

Long may it continue.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom