The Spirited Back Nine ...

Nemo14

I will admit that I enjoy Frozen more than one of the 90's Disney movies. I like it better than Pocahontas. The animation and music of Pocahontas of course is way better than Frozen, but I prefer the characters and story in Frozen. This is saying a lot coming from me as well because I have huge flaws with Frozen and actually dislike a lot of the music in it. I found a lot of Pocahontas very bland though. I saw it as a kid and both myself and my (then early 40's) mother found it very bland and boring, a sharp step down from the quality of previous Disney movies of the decade. Saw it again as an adult hoping to give it another chance and it was still dull and uninspired. Thankfully Disney bounced back from that lapse in quality with Hunchback, Hercules, Mulan and Tarzan.

The rest however I entirely agree with, I like all of them considerably more than Frozen. I'll go one step beyond and say that I don't even think the good Disney animated movies stopped with Tarzan (it's the era when quality was mixed but there was still some good mixed in as well). They technically got "worse" sure, but worse in this case is going from constantly amazing 9/10's and 10/10's, and switching instead to some still good and great 8/10's instead (just with some lower rated ones mixed in alongside them). Not quite as high quality as '89-'99, but that 90's era was a standard of animated film that I don't see EVER being topped again (i'd even argue the best of the 90's were some of the best the company had ever produced in ANY era, even Walt's era). Only a small amount of post-90's Studio Ghibli films have compared with those for me. But even a few of the 2000's era Disney animated movies were quite good and IMO better than Frozen to be honest. For instance I love Atlantis, Lilo and Stitch and Treasure Planet. I'd place all of those above Frozen.

I am so grateful that my kids were "youngsters", particularly my daughter, in the late 80's and 90's, and got to experience all those great movies as they came out. Starting with The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, The Lion King, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, and various classics as they were re-released from the "Disney vault", we watched them together over and over and laughed, cried, sang along, and just simply enjoyed the entertainment of it all. It was hard to even choose a favorite back then simply because they were all so good (although my daughter did take her copy of LM with her to college). We recently babysat our 19-month-old grand niece for a few weeks, and had to endure Frozen at least a half dozen times, and I found myself cringing at the songs and story to the whole thing. Hopefully by the time we have grandchildren of our own, Disney will get back on track to quality entertainment.

FigmentJedi

I was in the Home Depot yesterday and saw Christmas decorations everywhere. There was a huge inflatable Darth Vader holding a candy cane. That's tacky and dumb and oh so Disney. George Lucas doesn't care.
Star Wars and tacky Christmas stuff has been a thing since the Holiday Special.

Hell, a couple years before the buyout there were snowglobes with Darth Vader building a Death Star out of snow.

Ignohippo

I think you forget that these plane movies were never meant for theater release to begin with. These were to be straight to DVD titles like the tink movies. They never were suppose to e on caliber with Pixar or official Disney animated movies to begin with. It was just a way to make extra money. The first planes movie was entertaining, but I do agree that fire and rescue was not very good. But again, I knew going it it wasn't going to be Frozen or finding nemo quality...

Not entirely. While the first Planes wasn't originally intended for theaters, the budget was upped and the decision was made to make them theatrical releases from a very early point.

Planes: Fire and Rescue was always intended for theatrical release (and I am extremely thankful we didn't spend the time or the money to go see it in theaters).

PhotoDave219

Spirited request:

My threads are a no-spoiler (or reasonable version) zone, so just like I won't be talking about tonight's decent, if VERY predictable Walking Dead episode, I'll request that no one uses the thread to blabber on about Interstellar and Big Hero 6.

I'll be seeing the former this week and the latter Thanksgiving week and I'd appreciate no plot comments or the like.

Oh, another request ... you want to talk cheesesteaks? The Sixth Sense is available for those comments.

Yes, I generally give people a ration of crap about spoilers. I think you'll like Interstellar and thats all I'm gonna say.

Ignohippo

Pixar isn't exactly in the toilet, either. No, their last three films haven't been great and coming off TS3 in 2010 I think it would have been very tough to top that. But the last three films still made a ton of money and sold a ton of merchandise. And none of the films (yes, including Cars 2) were awful. I do think they were more aimed at kids, at least Cars 2 and Brave. I really enjoyed Monsters U a lot. So, I don't see any luster off the Pixar BRAND at all.

It's a tough call to say what is really going on with Pixar. Brave was "meh", Cars 2 was horrific and Monsters U underperformed (although, personally, I really enjoy it).

It's nice to see Pixar getting out of sequel-mode temporarily. We'll get a better idea of what Pixar still has left when Inside Out and The Good Dinosaur come out. If those two are amazing, then Pixar will remain the king.

It's just too bad they'll go back into sequel-mode again (Finding Dory, Cars 3, Incredibles 2 and Toy Story 4). It'd be nice of they could come out with a release schedule that had one original and one sequel each year.

...and I completely agree with you about Frozen. Highly overrated. As a similar movie, Tangled was miles better. What saved Frozen's weak story and horrible pacing were the songs. It's too bad Tangled didn't have songs the quality of the ones in Frozen. The song during the lantern scene was completely forgettable. If they would have hit a home run with that one song, Tangled would have been as big, or bigger, than Frozen.

Last edited:

PhotoDave219

Trying to catch up after my internet free weekend (no access at the lake house). Holy **** Batman. Meanwhile, here in the center of "Winter Storm Astro"...I am looking at over a foot of snow on the way. Luckily, we finally got the leaf thing done at the lake house, the driveway marked with orange stakes and we are ready.

One pertinent comment...I agree with Mr. Spirit...I just spent 9 days with the mouse on site and I am a stockholder (but rely on others for the analyses). I have every right to my opinion. I'll be back with mine when I catch up.

If you use the name of a winter storm, which is just a marketing ploy by The Weather Channel, I will make fun of you faster than making fun of a lifestyler chaining themselves to Maelstrom or the hat.

Back to the snow.

PrincessNelly_NJ

David's just hiked their DVC point rental price from $14/point to $16/point for 7+ months-in-advanced bookings at BLT, BWV, BCV, VWL, and VGF because demand exceeds supply.

At $16/point, a BLT Lake View Studio on the weekend of December 12-14 costs $304/night.

$304/night is pretty darned expensive but WDW's rate (with tax) for a Lake View room in the Contemporary Tower is $745/night. :jawdrop:

Even with 30% off, that's still $522/night. :jawdrop:

Those prices made David's $304/night look like a bargain.

It's not really surprising that so many want to rent points, and why DVC rental places like David's are pleading for points at key resorts.
Crazy, is it JUST because resort popularity or just because David's is the most highly recommended?
DVC Rental Store has been offering points for $10/point since the end of July. They had points as low as $7-$9/point for September stays.
Even when we added days to our trip this past October, we could have gotten the VWL & VGF for $140 to $180 night (checking roughly 6 weeks out from arrival)but we went with POR instead.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I'm a nice blend of capitalistic ideals without going all power hungry :) It comes from my analytical base... short-term results that cripple you long term are just lies. I'm a huge believer in setting objectives and constantly validating your choices against those objectives. If the choices conflict with those objectives, you need to step back and have everyone agree we are in conflict.. and decide if those objectives still are valid or if they should be updated. I'm a big opponent of lying to yourself as an organization.

I do believe in the value of good employees. I do believe in the notion of rewarding good work. I do believe that having employees that WANT to do the work is a huge part of your success. I am a huge believer in empowerment and flat organizations. But that also means I am cutthroat when it comes to bad employees, bad management, and failing to adhere to the principles we set for ourselves. I am against systems that reward mediocrity or protects it. I am against the notion of a 'living wage' in its design (it's flawed). I do believe in paying people well - but in return they need to perform. I am all for pruning dead wood.. and efficiently.

I do believe employee satisfaction is way beyond what their hourly rate is. I do believe how you treat employees and the work environment you create for them is more significant in retaining great people than just straight pay scales.

I view the employer and employee relationship as a symbiotic one - the employer selects candidates and nurtures them to better itself.

It's appalling to me that a company whose's primary 'product' has been customer service and guest satisfaction like Disney Parks does not act like it's front-line CMs are responsible for 'creating' that product and hence should be some of the company's most valuable assets.

And maybe that's what separates me from many readers on this site - I don't believe Disney's main output is POTC, or Splash Mountain or Sleeping Beauty... those are the specific ways Disney has delivered it's product. The real product Disney created were really amazing, wholesome, immersing experiences that brought you happiness and satisfaction. That is why the Disney company could reach out into so many different ways and be successful.. be it film, parks, cruises, whatever. The company is about that 'delight' they delivered.

When the company loses sight of that true objective... that's when they are steering it into the ground. And that is why I'm negative towards many of the company's actions of late... because they miss the bigger objectives in their smaller choices.

THIS needs 1,000,000 Likes

@flynnibus has once again nailed it, In that Disney's primary product is not parks or rides per se but a a complete entertainment experience, This is what I talk about where one used to be able to go to WDW and completely check out from reality for a while,

This is no longer possible with Disney's new direction which forces you to bury your nose in a smartphone, And don't give the bit about using the kiosks instead - yeah if there were MORE of them that might be practical but there are not and even at a 'slow' time you can count on waiting in line for 15-45 minutes.

Disney has truly lost its way of late and WDW is the most glaring example.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Crazy, is it JUST because resort popularity or just because David's is the most highly recommended?
DVC Rental Store has been offering points for $10/point since the end of July. They had points as low as $7-$9/point for September stays.
Even when we added days to our trip this past October, we could have gotten the VWL & VGF for $140 to $180 night (checking roughly 6 weeks out from arrival)but we went with POR instead.

David's is the best experience - they handle ALL the details and work hard at giving a good experience to both renters and sellers consequently they are most in demand.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The price increase is for the popular resorts between 7 and 11 months out. Short term points have lesser value since usually all that is available is SSR and the owner may face losing the points if they were banked from last year.

BrerJon

I think you forget that these plane movies were never meant for theater release to begin with. These were to be straight to DVD titles like the tink movies.

They were absolutely marketed as if they were though, from being released in cinemas to the eyes on the Backlot Tour planes, there was a deliberate attempt to make the uninformed viewer think Planes was a sequel to Cars from the same people.

This cynical short term thinking, with no thought whatsoever to how doing so - while selling a few extra tickets for sure - might cause long term damage to the public perceptions of what quality level to expect from Disney/Pixar animated movies, is sadly typical of today's TWDC.

aka_emilicious

Philosophically I'm sure many will miss the significance of this.. but I'll post it anyways. These "Viking Rules" reflect a mindset or philosophy that ring so true IMO with successful people and organizations. It's not about the LITERAL implementation of these, but about the mindset in how you operate. I encourage you to read these and think about how they apply or not to organizations or people you find successful or not.

I had a former boss share these with me, and while he was Norwegian and I had been exposed to their way of working and what they valued... reading these really made clear some of the core principles that shaped the way he was raised and shaped. Again, do not take this literally - no I do not think he was a 'viking' or was raised by vikings.. This is about culture, mentality, and what your values.

View attachment 73115

This is now printed and hanging in my sad little cube. Thank you.

Stevek

But please, fanbois, MM is NOT coming to WDW. Not now. Not ever. It may be a unique creation, but it IS HKDL's Haunted Mansion and it just isn't coming here as we already have one.

I still think it could work well in DCA using Winchester House as the setting. I don't believe the average guest out here will even associate it with the DL HM...it never even crossed my mind from watching the videos to be honest.

Stevek

Coming in the middle of a discussion, but my time is very limited right now, but I don't see Planes harming any BRAND -- Disney's or Pixar's.

The first film was actually decent. I saw it last fall on my Disney MAGIC voyage and was pleasantly surprised. haven't seen the second one as it isn't on my radar really. If I see it sometime, fine. If not, then that's cool too.

I'm sure I'll get some good-natured abuse for this but...I actually liked both Planes movies. They weren't anything spectacular but the animation was very, very good and the stories worked. Nothing amazing, but fun. Feel free to pile on.

michmousefan

But try to see it on a real, big screen IMAX in film. IMAX tickets prices across the board are the same, but the full size IMAX is even more immersive!
List of threaters playing Interstellar in IMAX proper (US and Canada only)
https://interstellar.withgoogle.com/imax-experience-in-70mm

A more technical explanation of the differences between IMAX and LIEMAX.
http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat...ax_experience_70mm_35mm_4k_2k_here_s_how.html

The black hole sequence is truly stunning in IMAX with the massive square frame.
Yep, the 70MM IMAX experience is great. I've read that there were some theaters that had lousy sound mixes but luckily that wasn't the case here in Michigan.

As a bonus, the lengthy film just by itself barely fits on the huge 70mm platter for the projector, so when the lights dim, the movie starts. No previews, no ads, nothing. Just the movie.

PrincessNelly_NJ

David's is the best experience - they handle ALL the details and work hard at giving a good experience to both renters and sellers consequently they are most in demand.
The price increase is for the popular resorts between 7 and 11 months out. Short term points have lesser value since usually all that is available is SSR and the owner may face losing the points if they were banked from last year.
Gotcha. I know most people go with David's because of his reputation and others go with DVC rental store because they like having that same 45 day payment policy disney has.
I love disney and want to experience all the resorts but I'd take OKW/SSR at 5 months out for $7-$10/point in a heartbeat. LOL, I'm cheap tho :D... I was shocked when the VGF & VWL were still available 6 weeks out, even AKLV had no rooms.. I almost switched us of over to the VGF but decided having two beds & free dining was worth staying at POFQ.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom