The Spirited Back Nine ...

wdwfan4ver

hmm...sounds doable for HS on the budget then. Cars Land should be a little cheaper as a "clone". Disney's money may go a bit farther in Florida than in California too...
It depends if Disney does a clone of Radiator springs in terms of how much cheaper Carsland would be at DHS. There been rumors in the past now that it isn't likely radiator Springs would be in the DHS version of Carsland. DHS would get a Cars ride that isn't in the DCA version instead.

DHS should be saving money also from Toy Story Playland based it be a "clone" of Disney Studios Park and Hong Kong Kong Disneyland versions of Toy Story Playland. Toy Story Playland is cheap land to begin with.

DVCPluto

One thing: they had no other choice. The park would have died (no, not closed or anything, but just been a place where folks visit only for hops and spend no money).

There isn't anything there any longer.

The holdup was a few factors that we've discussed and, likely, a few we don't know. But it had to finally happen and now is finally.

You talked about more "entertainment" during construction. Any discussion of closing the doors to speed up the transition? I'm guessing not, but I'm continually shocked by TDO decisions.

Drunks are an issue at EPCOT. Plain and simple. And adding a DRINK RESPONSIBLY on the Food and Wine and Sodomize You With the Prices Fest Brochure doesn't change the fact that instead of a tasting and experimenting with new tastes experience, F&W has become a Get Drunk Around the World For 16 Times What It Would Cost in the Real World Fest.

Of course, they're even worse at HHN's where fights are commonplace and security is nearly invisible in house queues.

Any talk of more restrictions for future F&Ws? or canceling it all together? - the corp lawyers must be losing sleep over all the liabilities. Well, maybe not, since they're corp lawyers.

Grumpy4196

It depends if Disney does a clone of Radiator springs in terms of how much cheaper Carsland would be at DHS. There been rumors in the past now that it isn't likely radiator Springs would be in the DHS version of Carsland. DHS would get a Cars ride that isn't in the DCA version instead.

I agree. I don't think we will see a RSR clone in Orlando. More likely a Radiator Springs area with Flo's cafe and some type of dark ride.

misterID

"Cheap" is the first thing I thought when I got off Gringott's. It's just Primival Whirl........with screens.
She has a point and isn't calling the ride cheap. The tunnels and caverns have phenomenal potential for being used as set pieces for a ride but unfortunately weren't utilized. There is too much reliance on screens in the place of actual sets and thrill ride elements. The 3D, which is amazing, should have been used to enhance the experience, not BE the experience.

hpyhnt 1000

Take this as an opinion, not a fact. But I am 95% certain that RSRs is not coming. Different attraction, different ride system.

Interesting to hear. Would be nice to have an original attraction and not a clone (though I could live to regret that statement if its value engineered).

Overall, a lot of fun spirited ramblings. I would love to see Disney pull the "This isn't the park overhaul you're looking for" nonsense like they did with BLT. Honestly, that strategy was tossed out there? Who thinks of this stuff?

Goofyernmost

Or Despicable Me... God that ride is awful.

Side note, I'm glad Spirit mentioned the ToT audio issues. I'm glad more people are taking notice because one of WDW's top attractions shouldn't be operating under any less than great condition and ToT has had shoddy show quality for quite some time.

What? No it isn't. It's very well done for what it is and what they had to work with.
Despicable was, in my opinion, very well done. The preshow was really good and the show itself was funny and well done. It was far and away better then what proceeded it.

It's been a couple of years since I rode ToT. Can you tell me what you mean when you guys are talking about audio issues? It all seemed good the last time I rode it.

Bairstow

I really liked Minion Mayhem. Never seen the movies, but I thought it was a fun ride, especially compared to the Hanna Barbara thing I did the last time I was there.
It seems to understand that 3D is best utilized by sticking a big object or character right in front of the viewers' field of view and keeping it there for a while, rather than trying to simulate a really far field of depth, which 3D is really crappy at doing.

Also, did anyone else get the vibe that Minion Mayhem was inspired by Portal 2, or is that just me?

Speaking of good 3D, Turtle Trek over at Sea World is mind-blowing.
It's several notches beyond anything you'll see on Transformers, Gringotts, or Mayhem.
Plus, it's the only attraction I know of that implies physical intercourse between the guest and an animal.

She has a point and isn't calling the ride cheap. The tunnels and caverns have phenomenal potential for being used as set pieces for a ride but unfortunately weren't utilized. There is too much reliance on screens in the place of actual sets and thrill ride elements. The 3D, which is amazing, should have been used to enhance the experience, not BE the experience.

Gringotts doesn't even look cheap- it just looks like they used the wrong methods when simpler, older ones would have worked better.
If Dollywood can afford to build decent-looking underground tunnel sections for Mystery Mine, you would think Universal could manage for Gringotts.
It's not like rendering all that CGI is free- every second of that stuff costs money.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It was more than Carsland, but they didn't get all entire make over that Disney announced. Disney announced that there was going to be 2 phases for the makeover, but they only did 1 phase.

Disney never announced a phase 2... some elements just went from planed to elements that would not be done at that time. Fans interpret these pushes as a 'phase 2' when its more of 'here are the things we would really like to do next'... A soft way to phrase "the idea wasn't killed, it just was pulled out of this project". There was a whole list of things they felt were STILL needed to complete the true transformation of the park, but they were just the shopping list of things that were deemed below the line for that round of the makeover. They knew there was things they skipped, but its more about 'now vs maybe later..'

Tom Morrow

It's been a couple of years since I rode ToT. Can you tell me what you mean when you guys are talking about audio issues? It all seemed good the last time I rode it.
The audio is too quiet and/or out of sync in a lot of spots or scenes. If the library is full you can barely hear the pre-show. The ride itself varies depending on which lift you get by how quiet and out of sync it is. The effects are looking shoddy or are configured incorrectly. Rather than going in depth, I will direct to @marni1971 's in-depth report here:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/tower-of-terror-effects-status-watch.861775/page-6#post-6374706

Last edited:

wdw47

That word is getting thrown around a lot here. RnRC could be updated but in terms of problems with DHS it's pretty low on the priority list.
I agree. In terms of what needs help at DHS it is low on the list but it would be great to have it updated and stripped of the current storyline.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Thanks for taking the time to start a new thread. I have a few questions if you don't mind:
  1. Is the budget the same ballpark as the all-in cost for DCA 2.0, the $1.6B or closer to the original $1.2B?
  2. I know all of the details aren't known, but is the general layout going to be Pixar expansion on BLT space and SW Land near Echo Lake side of park?
  3. If Ozzy's lights are going away, will Streets of America end up being part of Pixar, SW or something else?
  4. If no Monsters are we basically looking at Toy Story Playland and Carsland light for the Pixar expansion?
  5. Any idea if SW Land will feature a major E ticket? I am assuming so with that big of an overall budget.

Goofyernmost

The audio is too quiet and/or out of sync in a lot of spots or scenes. If the library is full you can barely hear the pre-show. The ride itself varies depending on which lift you get by how quiet and out of sync it is. The effects are looking shoddy or are configured incorrectly. Rather than going in depth, I will direct to @marni1971 's in-depth report here:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/tower-of-terror-effects-status-watch.861775/page-6#post-6374706
Thanks

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom