The Spirit Takes the Fifth ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

WDW1974

Original Poster
All well and good, but, really if everyone were to open their eyes for a moment, there have been very few news updates and rumors with any verification listed anywhere for a long time. Just a theory here, but, I think Disney has clamped down on leaked information, and the sources of confirmation have dried up. Wouldn't surprise me if a lot of false information is being circulated just to trace where the leaks are. So, with that in mind, we might just as well close the whole board down, because whatever is happening is being held close to the chest. Besides we still have @marni1971 around and I trust his information over anyones. Until then this and any other thread needs to go whatever direction it takes that isn't nasty.

There's plenty of news in my threads, Goof. If you're looking for me to tell you something today and you'll get a press release from Disney (or UNI) tomorrow than you are very naive as to how this game is played. And you've followed me long enough to know what kind of track record I have. I'll just take it as a passive aggressive shot, which is fine.

And trying to get me to compare myself to @marni1971 is ... well, I like the bloke and he usually is quite accurate with his info. But, generally, we write from very different perspectives about different things in the business.

But, no, I don't want this thread to be an all anything chat room. ... especially when I am not around. Last time that happened, I had personal information placed out by some troll with an axe to grind. And @Lee's Internet isn't great in the cabin in the woods when winter comes a calling!

bhg469

Today I heard some MLB Executives discussings the Magic Bands.

It was not complimentary by any stretch of the imagination
MLB has some very cool methods of gate entry.. This is something im very close to in my real grown up life. Their access control is something a lot of people don't think about but they have a lot invested in getting you in ball parks in as many ways as they can aside from a traditional ticket. They are also the reason i may not be coming down this spring due to budget cuts...

WDW1974

Original Poster
...does anyone wanna discuss the horrific smog and it's impact on SDL? Because I think...it's worth discussing.

Disney and more posted that construction is halted due to the bad smog. How on earth is this park going to operate with this factor?

Nothing to discuss. It's bad. Really, really bad.

I just told a friend tonight that it will be perfectly clear come SDL's Opening Day ... but two weeks later it will be back to really bad. This destroying the environment to provide every growth for the dragon's economic engine is the biggest problem in China. It isn't human rights despite what many Americans who have never been there ignorantly believe.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Considering schools closed and traffic was greatly reduced by both pedestrian and even the police force? Hm.

It really begs the question of how the BOD approved plans for this park in the first place.

I'm sure with international travelers it's got to be a concern. What if the smog shuts down the airport (again) and they miss connector flights? Or how about the expensive disney hotels that they can't leave because the smog is so bad and a health warning was issued? How is disney going to cope with people who have spent $500 a night on their hotel in hopes of going to the park but suddenly can't?

...Some famous guy from some movie series once said "I've got a bad feeling about this" and i think this statement applies here...

This is bad at historical levels, to be fair.

Normally, it isn't so bad that you'd have flights grounded and construction stopped. And this is the worst time of year for them. Not making excuses ...

luv

I priced tickets from Orlando to Paris tonight. Just for fun. First Class (coach is fine for a couple hours, but not a long flight like that. Not IMO, anyway.). $10,000+ Per ticket.

I was glad. I don't like to travel, anyway. That sealed the deal. Twenty to thirty thousand dollars for two people is more than I'm willing to pay.

I think were going to Las Vegas. Can't wait to see "Divas Las Vegas"!!!! :D Maybe even drive to Anaheim and see Walt's park, like any good fangurl would do. :)

WDW1974

Original Poster
Thought you might appreciate this, Spirit. Clearly you are wrong about Disney not investing in its parks overseas. ;)

"Disney triples offshore profits, saving on U.S. taxes"

http://touch.orlandosentinel.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-78489938/

That almost counts as an 'attack piece' by Jason P. Garcia (you don't wanna know what the P stands for, so just assume and don't ask!)

Disney off-shores $1.5 BILLION in profit and doesn't pay a penny on it. Yep, sure sounds like Walt's old company and not a soulless corporate goliath, right?

bhg469

That almost counts as an 'attack piece' by Jason P. Garcia (you don't wanna know what the P stands for, so just assume and don't ask!)

Disney off-shores $1.5 BILLION in profit and doesn't pay a penny on it. Yep, sure sounds like Walt's old company and not a soulless corporate goliath, right?
And im worried that i won't be able to retire 30 years from now.. Greed is an awful thing.

WDW1974

Original Poster
You know this post really got me thinking. Some of this Disney cost-cutting is because of guests. It is a shame we live during a time where people walk in to a counter service restaurant and make themselves a salad off of the topping bar.

Recently I see how the fanbois and mommy blogger communities are sharing a post on how you can obtain free autographs from Disney characters sent to your home. They are abusing this perk. These were the little extras that made Disney special. Now you have honey boo boo-esque people feeling they are entitled to these autographs.

The truth is they are intended for special occasions and/or purposes from Guest Relations. The child that had to leave the park early because they were still ill from medical treatments and missed seeing their favorite character. It was for those special circumstances of guest service recovery and/or helping kids and families that physically (for certain reasons) could not do everything the way you and I can.

Expect this perk to go away soon...not because the company is cheap. Because people abuse the perks because they feel they are entitled. Sad....

I don't disagree with this ... most of it. I'll take issue with the topping bar because that stuff doesn't cost much and for every guest who takes a plate full there's a family of four that eat their burgers plain and don't take a thing. I've watched this ... hell, once I did with a former UNI Food and Beverage manager at Cosmic Ray's. Disney is not losing a damn thing and they're making a fortune on selling crappy burger meals for $12 a person.

The other stuff, I absolutely agree with. TDR had to stop giving out a wonderful set of 'attraction cards' ... basically envelopes with 10 attractions at each park (often swapped out) with art and explanations of the attractions in English because one Lifestyler (supposedly connected to the Mongello empire, but not the man himself) took a week trip and every day kept going to Guest Relations demanding many sets of them (usually, they give one per guest ... if you are very lucky two ... but not enough to eBay or give as stocking stuffers to all your favorite fanbois) daily and then Tweeted about it, so it became the norm and the OLC stopped giving them out.

And let's not even talk about how having one mildly autistic child or being FAT became a go to the head of the line with six others golden ticket (actually, we can't as it appears that thread got nasty and shut again!)

Last edited:

Funmeister

I don't disagree with this ... most of it. I'll take issue with the topping bar because that stuff doesn't cost much and for every guest who takes a plate full there's a family of four that eat their burgers plain and don't take a thing. I've watched this ... hell, once I did with a former UNI Food and Beverage manager at Cosmic Ray's. Disney is not losing a damn thing and they're making a fortune on selling crappy burger meals for $12 a person.

The other stuff, I absolutely agree with. TDR had to stop giving out a wonderful set of 'attraction cards' ... basically envelopes with 10 attractions at each park (often swapped out) with art and explanations of the attractions in English because one Lifestyler (supposedly connected to the Mongello empire, but not the man himself) took a week trip and every day kept going to Guest Relations demanding many sets of them (usually, they give one per guest ... if you are very lucky two ... but not enough to eBay or give as stocking stuffers to all your favorite fanbois) daily and then Tweeted about it, so it became the norm and the OLC stopped giving them out.

And let's not even talk about how having one mildly autistic child became a go to the head of the line with six others golden ticket (actually, we can't as it appears that thread got nasty and shut again!)

The toppings bar was just one that came to mind. You are right that in the grand scheme of things that is minimal.

I guess what I mean are the people who need to stock up on Mickey Mouse soap and shampoo to hold them over until their next visit. The people who suck the life out of everything. The same people who used to stalk the "prize patrol" planning their attack to get a free prize years back. (25th anniversary or 100 Years of Magic?). Now the autographs. Hell, does the Goofy birthday line exist anymore? (whoops, should not have said that). Alaos how many hundreds or thousands or hundreds of thousands of people had to get one of each of the gift card blanks on display at cash registers. Sure they had no value but when the same people have to have 15,000 napkins or 100,000 bottles of Mickey Mouse shampoo it gets a little rediculous. What gets me is more of the point and not the cost. I'm tired. lol HAVE A GREAT TRIP!!!!

Best restaurants can be that no name cafe off a side alley! Hell, the 'sandwich poulet' at any train station will do ya good!

WDW1974

Original Poster
VERY IMPORTANT: Vegas has dry heat, Paris has wet cold!

Vegas also has wet cold. I was there the week before Christmas three years ago and experienced waterfalls flowing down LV Blvd. It poured four of the five days ... but I did love watching it from my suite at The Hotel at Mandalay Bay. Great trip except for the Viva Elvis Cirque show that I fell asleep (not kidding!) in and the illness a friend started to develop on the trip that landed him in the ER a week later in O-Town.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I priced tickets from Orlando to Paris tonight. Just for fun. First Class (coach is fine for a couple hours, but not a long flight like that. Not IMO, anyway.). $10,000+ Per ticket.

I was glad. I don't like to travel, anyway. That sealed the deal. Twenty to thirty thousand dollars for two people is more than I'm willing to pay.

I think were going to Las Vegas. Can't wait to see "Divas Las Vegas"!!!! :D Maybe even drive to Anaheim and see Walt's park, like any good fangurl would do. :)

OK, I've flown to Paris in First Class. But I've never paid for it. That's what frequent flyer miles are for!!!

But if you don't like to travel, then it doesn't really matter. There's a whole world of places worth seeing, experiences worth having and people worth meeting ... but you can always do WDW!

Vegas is fine too, and quite cheap this time of year. If I weren't headed to Europe, then I'd have likely gone there again.

cheezbat

Spirit...I'd drop visiting WDW for five years if it meant one trip to Tokyo Disney!

I visited WDW(for free...not forking out money for less and less quality!)yesterday and while many things have been fixed up since my last visit, I dealt with far more rude cast members, had lousier food, and was extremely aggravated with the shorter hours with as busy as it was. Seriously, I know the MK was doing the Christmas party, but DAK closed at 7, DHS at 8, and Epcot at 9:30 during a busy weekend day? Ridiculous. If not for my girlfriend getting the GAC, we wouldn't have done half the stuff we did. (Speaking of the new Guest Assistance Cards, I think they are far more fair!)

As for entry and the whole MagicBand thing...entry was slow as always. No change in speed there. I also noticed that maybe 1/3 of people were using them. They don't look comfortable. I noticed a few families having problems with them, saw insane FP+ lines, and even longer lines at Guest Services. Who thought this would be a good idea and boost their profits?

Anywhoo...looking forward to whatever Uni is announcing on Thursday...

Oh yeah...and Spirit, you will be missed! Enjoy your time though! (Don't freeze to death!)

WDW1974

Original Poster
The toppings bar was just one that came to mind. You are right that in the grand scheme of things that is minimal.

I guess what I mean are the people who need to stock up on Mickey Mouse soap and shampoo to hold them over until their next visit. The people who suck the life out of everything. The same people who used to stalk the "prize patrol" planning their attack to get a free prize years back. (25th anniversary or 100 Years of Magic?). Now the autographs. Hell, does the Goofy birthday line exist anymore? (whoops, should not have said that). Alaos how many hundreds or thousands or hundreds of thousands of people had to get one of each of the gift card blanks on display at cash registers. Sure they had no value but when the same people have to have 15,000 napkins or 100,000 bottles of Mickey Mouse shampoo it gets a little rediculous. What gets me is more of the point and not the cost. I'm tired. lol HAVE A GREAT TRIP!!!!

Best restaurants can be that no name cafe off a side alley! Hell, the 'sandwich poulet' at any train station will do ya good!

Oh, Funmeister, you are hitting on 'my thangs' ... I always leave WDW with a nice supply of soap and shampoos. Again, for every guest like me (or even the few that leave with a bag of the stuff), there are plenty that don't even use one set and/or never take anything. It is a tiny, tiny cost of doing business and at the rates they charge, they aren't taking a hit. ... It's like the whole free soda for life deal.

Look, I get, understand and agree with your underlying point. Totally.

But your examples aren't illustrating it in a way that I feel comfortable with.

I'll also say that much of the bad behavior I see by guests being 'greedy' has increased as Disney has increased its nickel and diming, its offering every less and charging ever more. When your guests start feeling like you're stealing from them they tend to start trying to find ways to do likewise from you.

On my July trip, I literally drank as much soda (or wasted it) as I could because I knew they were installing this ridiculous mug refill station. Since I wasn't staying on property (Portofino Bay doesn't count here, right?) I likely wouldn't have even done it. But I had to go to places like the and PO to get me some free soda one last time. I know it's ridiculous, but I did feel like I was sticking it to them one final time.

WDW1974

Original Poster
And with this post, I hereby conclude my regularly scheduled MAGICal appearances for 2013

I may drop in later this week if UNI announces something I wasn't aware of. I also may post my DLP thoughts from across the pond or just hold them.

I look forward to returning here sometime in February and sincerely wish you all great, happy and safe holidays and WONDERful 2014s.

I also want to apologize to a few folks who had posts on subjects ranging from Disney and ABC Daytime's legal battle with Prospect Park and Walking Dead Season 4 and Frozen that I skimmed and wanted to respond to, but just didn't have the time. Sorry, you probably know who you are.

I may check in a bit this week, but I wouldn't expect to see me post. Again, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to this MAGICal community!

Stitchon

And with this post, I hereby conclude my regularly scheduled MAGICal appearances for 2013 (a year that sucked more than a fanboi at an Imagineering Party!)

I may drop in later this week if UNI announces something I wasn't aware of. I also may post my DLP thoughts from across the pond or just hold them.

I look forward to returning here sometime in February and sincerely wish you all great, happy and safe holidays and WONDERful 2014s.

I also want to apologize to a few folks who had posts on subjects ranging from Disney and ABC Daytime's legal battle with Prospect Park and Walking Dead Season 4 and Frozen that I skimmed and wanted to respond to, but just didn't have the time. Sorry, you probably know who you are.

I may check in a bit this week, but I wouldn't expect to see me post. Again, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to this MAGICal community!

Always a pleasure to read your musings, sir. Enjoy your trip, and have a Merry Christmas as well.

Sped2424

And with this post, I hereby conclude my regularly scheduled MAGICal appearances for 2013 (a year that sucked more than a fanboi at an Imagineering Party!)

Have fun on your trip! I heard Disneyland paris is beautiful my friend recently went and said big thunder is by far the best version of that attraction. Can't wait for uni's reveal on Thursday!

Bolna

If you don't want to do coach, there is always business class. Do your research, but most transatlantic flights now offer flat bed seats even in business and those look nice enough to me.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese

Have a safe trip and a great time. Merry Christmas!

culturenthrills

And @photoginit I've been trying to figure out what your avatar is and for the life of me I can't get it.
It is a pic I shot from Roger Waters The Wall tour. It is from Comfortably Numb when Roger smashes his fists against the wall and it explodes in a rainbow of colors. It is one of the
most visually stunning moments I have ever seen at a concert of a show that is one of the best I have ever seen.

Last edited:

Soarin' Over Pgh

And to you as well! I hope you have a great trip abroad and enjoy your holidays with family, friends, warmth and love.

Here's to hoping for your thoughts on the overseas parks in 2014! Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom