The Spirit Takes the Fifth ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goofyernmost

But they all know Pirates of the Caribean and Nemo. Gives us the answer to the question of who is going to book fastpass for a ride that never has a wait.
Anyone that doesn't know that they never have a wait. Many of those places like CoP will also have people signing on that have never been there. They may very well have heard of it before and therefore assume that there will be lines there, they won't know until they get there and by then have used up a FP+ that wasn't needed. That's how the whole thing is supposed to decrease the lines at the major attractions.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Anyone that doesn't know that they never have a wait. Many of those places like CoP will also have people signing on that have never been there. They may very well have heard of it before and therefore assume that there will be lines there, they won't know until they get there and by then have used up a FP+ that wasn't needed. That's how the whole thing is supposed to decrease the lines at the major attractions.
That's pretty much what I was saying. First timers will probably know popular franchises like Pirates, Nemo, Indy, etc... They have no clue which rides have long lines or short. They get the little flash drive thing in the mail and it tells them how to setup their account and book FP reservations. When they look at their choices to book they are likely to pick things that they know and like. If little Jimmy loves Pirates then POTC gets reserved. Little Suzy loves Finding Nemo so the Seas gets booked. Dad loves the Indy movies so Indiana Jones Stunt Show gets booked...and so on. Now when they are waiting in line for Test Track and Soarin they may be sorry, but how many guests never understood or knew how the regular FP system worked?

ParentsOf4

That's pretty much what I was saying. First timers will probably know popular franchises like Pirates, Nemo, Indy, etc... They have no clue which rides have long lines or short. They get the little flash drive thing in the mail and it tells them how to setup their account and book FP reservations. When they look at their choices to book they are likely to pick things that they know and like. If little Jimmy loves Pirates then POTC gets reserved. Little Suzy loves Finding Nemo so the Seas gets booked. Dad loves the Indy movies so Indiana Jones Stunt Show gets booked...and so on. Now when they are waiting in line for Test Track and Soarin they may be sorry, but how many guests never understood or knew how the regular FP system worked?
If only we could count on large numbers of inexperienced WDW visitors booking PotC and Nemo.

Last week, FP/FP+ lines for all the major attractions were considerably longer than previous Thanksgiving weeks.

It was obvious to me that plenty of folks knew which FP+ to select.

Once FP+ rolls out to everyone, booking FP+ is going to be just like ADRs. :(

RSoxNo1

There's no question that, at best, Thanksgiving week runs a distant 4th in terms of crowd levels behind the three holidays you mention. Depending on how spring breaks line up, I wouldn't be surprised if there are other weeks in February to April that are more crowded.

It's why I thought Thanksgiving would be the first good test of FP+. All onsite resorts are using FP+ and crowds are up but not at peak. From what I observed, it's clear that they have some problems to work out, all of which are solvable.

However, looking at the big picture, it's also clear that FP+ simply changes how wait times are distributed. Some guests will be better off with FP+, some will be worse.

In total, FP+ doesn't improve anything, it only changes it. FP+ & MDE feel like a lot of smoke-and-mirrors, as if we are supposed to equate "different" with "better".

I suspect the new DAS policy is having a bigger impact than FP+ on wait times. And that new policy was effected at modest cost.

At least when increased crowds are attracted by brick-and-mortar additions, they are partially offset by increased ride capacity. Not with MyMagic+ though.

Given that the stated goal of MyMagic+ is to get guests to stay onsite longer and since MyMagic+ doesn't increase attraction capacity, a successful MyMagic+ program simply means that we all wait in line longer.

Guest opinions are influenced largely by how long they wait in lines. If MyMagic+ does keep guests onsite longer, then MyMagic+ essentially was designed to make guests less happy.

MyMagic+ only could have been approved by executives who spend half their days with their heads buried in their smart phones, who have never stood in hour-long Standby lines like everyone else.
Another huge problem with this is that they're using paying customers as guinea pigs while they work out the kinks. Is your average guest going to care that the reason behind these inflated lines is that they're "testing something"? This testing is creating ill will, and damage has already been done to the Disney brand.

Right now they are running 2 separate ride reservation system, Fastpass and Fastpass+. There has been evidence that indicates the two systems aren't directly linked, and there is additional evidence that they are tweaking the numbers between the two systems often. When Fastpass+ was only available at select resorts, it wasn't as intrusive (although I did report quicker distribution times at TSMM, TT and Soarin'). By scaling up the system as they have, it shows that day guests will be at a remarkable disadvantage. This is something that any person that passed 8th grade math could have told them.

Should they chose not to make the necessary adjustments, people will most assuredly act accordingly. I'm sure there are people that have already sworn off Disney for years after a negative My Magic + experience.

It was addressed previously, but it deserves repeating. Walt Disney World has a capacity problem. It doesn't have a Fastpass capacity problem, it has a capacity problem. If Disney had taken the approach of adding the extra "Fastpass capacity" by also adding to the overall capacity, Fastpass+ may actually have a fighting chance. Unfortunately for them, this means building that third theater in Soarin' and adding 2-3 more D/E tickets per park.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
If only we could count on large numbers of inexperienced WDW visitors booking PotC and Nemo.

Last week, FP/FP+ lines for all the major attractions were considerably longer than previous Thanksgiving weeks.

It was obvious to me that plenty of folks knew which FP+ to select.

Once FP+ rolls out to everyone, booking FP+ is going to be just like ADRs. :(
No doubt that will be true, especially at busy times. There are so many online resources plus travel books to help people decide. There will be whole sections of sites dedicated to help maximize people's FP selections.

Once they completely phase out regular FP I am assuming it will free up some capacity for FP+ too. They have to hold back some capacity for regular FP and there is a lot of double dipping going on now especially from people who are familiar with both systems. I personally did not double dip on my recent trip, but the crowd levels were low and we had FP+ for all of the headliners. We made out reservations before the tier limitations were put in place. I did notice people wearing bands returning with paper fast pass tickets. They started phasing out FP with the value reports first which is a big chunk so I'm guessing by the end of the year or some time in January the whole system will be phased out. Then it will get interesting to see if they start allowing non-resort guests to book FP in advance. None of this solves the problems with lack of ride capacity, but it's still interesting to me to see how it unfolds.

Cesar R M

ding ding ding! we have a winner!!
as someone who just went to Disney world for the first time (one day for each park WITH AN EXTRA DAY on early october of this year).. you hit the JACKPOT!
we had no clue what to visit, we selected things according to what sounded interesting in the internet or that where famous (like pirates, nemo, indiana jones, etc..etc..)
we were facepalming at the huge lines of Toy Story at hollywood studios and the new pirates.
same with the huge line of the pirates of magic kingdom.

|Q|

Contrary to some opinions, DLP isn't about to close up shop. Yes, I hate the way it has been run for most of its existence and, yes, it has more debt than the average Walmart Black Friday shopper. But it isn't going away.

So, do they have a plan?!

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I don't know if they would want DC, I believe the big characters are already licensed out to various companies over many agreements. The ability to capitalize and get a immediate ROI is probably not there.

Recall that the licensing income then becomes a revenue stream for TWDC. As a long term strategy DC would give TWDC a lock on the superhero universe and unlike Uni Orlando - there are no character restrictions for in park use.

I'm sure Disney would like Nickelodeon for the kiddie demographic, But that would involve a Viacom takeover and I don't think Sumner Redstone would go quietly into the night especially after kicking his kids out of the Viacom kingdom. But Viacom has only a quarter of the market cap of DIS.

Another would be TWC - This would put DIS on the same footing as NBCU as they would have a cable distribution system and a captive audience for their cable properties as well as a traditional network. The food fights at contract renewal time would be amusing with DIS/NBCU both practicing brinksmanship with popular properties.

stevehousse

Sixflags holds the theme park rights for DC comics...I don't see six flags letting go of that considering most of the big coasters are named after all the comic characters...it's not like Uni's IOA where it's just one land (marvel) that exists. We are talking about a good 5-10 rides in each six flags park around the globe that would need to be rethemed!

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
There are rumors that Iger is looking at another acquisition, but I don't intend to stir that rumor's flames.

And the company is much more than P&R, although I certainly agree with your point that it isn't being run in the best interest of fans, guests, cast and long-term investors.

Hmm.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
If I HAD to guess it would be DC Comics as then Disney would control the superhero universe.

DC is a subsidiary of TimeWarner and Disney has no chance in hell of buying it. However, they could be eyeing TWC, which was spunoff and apparently Comcast declined to acquire them.

My guesses:
- DreamWorks/Reliance Entertainment (relationship is there and Disney likes the market in India, though they already purchased a major studio there)
- Netflix (Bob loves digital)
- TWC (I'm not sure why they would want to be in the business but who knows)

Cesar R M

Sixflags holds the theme park rights for DC comics...I don't see six flags letting go of that considering most of the big coasters are named after all the comic characters...it's not like Uni's IOA where it's just one land (marvel) that exists. We are talking about a good 5-10 rides in each six flags park around the globe that would need to be rethemed!
unless they do a similar setting to the Marvel characters vs Universal Theme Parks.
aka the permission and license to keep using the names.

RSoxNo1

You're right, how could Six Flags possibly re-"theme" all their DC inspired coasters? I'm willing to bet that Disney spent more on the Fastpass+ signage throughout Walt Disney World than would be required to re-"theme" the majority of Six Flags' coasters. They have some themed areas, but all told it's minimal. I would guess that buying DC's theme park rights from Six Flags would be easier than buying out Universal for the Marvel theme park rights.

artvandelay

DC is a subsidiary of TimeWarner and Disney has no chance in hell of buying it. However, they could be eyeing TWC, which was spunoff and apparently Comcast declined to acquire them.

My guesses:
- DreamWorks/Reliance Entertainment (relationship is there and Disney likes the market in India, though they already purchased a major studio there)

TWC is on the market, but it looks like Charter Communications is the buyer.

the.dreamfinder

My guesses:
It's probably Netflix, TWDC doesn't own a premium cable channel like Time Warner (HBO) and CBS (Showtime). The price for Netflix, I would imagine, would be very high and his largest acquisition which he'll consider the ABC/Capital Cities of his tenure.
Studio Ghibli, like Lucasfilm, seems inevitable plus that would mean they could really promote their films in other markets with Merch sales to follow as well as theme park rights for the japanese parks.
They could always reacquire Miramax and bring the Weinsteins back to TWDC, but Bob loves tent poles though I have a feeling BoD may want TWDS to shift towards more singles and doubles.

Or... since Bob believes the only way to solve Disney's problems is to buy stuff, Acquire OLC in exchange for its parent mega corporation getting a large holding in DIS plus cash. OLC runs P&R and purges the division. But that's a silly fan dream.

Last edited:

BrianLo

While it was nice that Disney and More and Screamscape gave credit to this site for the SDL roster I provided, it would have been nice if they actually identified ME as the poster responsible. I do have two considerably large things (do NOT even go there my dear fanbois!) namely an ego and an online following. While I have no problem seeing WDWMAGIC.com getting a shout out, it should be as part of what I provided to the community.

@WDW1974 - http://disneyandmore.blogspot.ca/2013/12/shanghai-disneyland-update.html

Looks like Alain does care. Not one but two named shout outs bridging the article. ;)

TinkerBelle8878

I'm wondering if the new IP being bought might be either Hunger Games, which has been speculated to want a theme park presence, or...and this is reaching..what about Hanna-Barbera and that whole catalouge? I know its out of left field but who owns it now? If its Time Warner, is it up for sale?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom