The Spirit Takes the Fifth ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travel Junkie

Why couldn't they put it Orlando or Southern California, where it would be more accessible to fans? Whenever I go to California and whenever I go in the future again, it is/will be Southern California. They better build HSR from LA to San Fran FAST so I can ride it to San Fran in a future trip to California and I would be able to see the museum!

Walt's daughter Diane who is one of the founders lived in the area, so that probably played a role in the location. The museum is in a great touristy location near the Golden Gate Bridge and the whole Presidio is amazing. SF is one of the worlds great cities. Anyone taking a trip to California without seeing San Fran is really missing out. SF is a short cheap flight away from LA.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Walt's daughter Diane who is one of the founders lived in the area, so that probably played a role in the location. The museum is in a great touristy location near the Golden Gate Bridge and the whole Presidio is amazing. SF is one of the worlds great cities. Anyone taking a trip to California without seeing San Fran is really missing out. SF is a short cheap flight away from LA.
Or if you have the time an amazing drive. If you take the coastal route at least part of the way it's still doable in a long day.

FigmentJedi

I wonder how different the SF museum is from the one in Marceline, MO.?
Very different, covers Walt's entire life and career and has a much bigger budget.
The Marceline museum is mostly just Walt's time in the town and stories of his family as well as Marceline's Railroad history.

TP2000

I wonder how different the SF museum is from the one in Marceline, MO.?

It's about as different as Disneyland is to a county fair. They are both wonderful family entertainment, but in very different leagues.

Speaking of Disneyland, here's a view of the Disneyland exhibit room at the huge Walt Disney Family Museum.
WDFM%20Gallery%209%20Overview%20Photo%20by%20Ric%20Miller%20Courtesy%20The%20Walt%20Disney%20Family%20Museum.jpg

The museum ends in this room on the lower level. It can easily take several hours to get through the museum's previous rooms and levels before reaching this final room. And that panel in the lower middle is the one section of the museum dedicated to anything in Florida. But that's not the Florida we know today, but rather EPCOT and the Florida Project as Walt envisioned it in 1965-66 just before he passed away. The museum ends quite suddenly with news clippings of Walt's death in December, 1966. Then you literally exit through the gift shop and back out into the Presidio.

There is very little in this huge museum about Florida or Walt Disney World, as Walt had been dead for five years by the time WDW was built. And what showed up in 1971 wasn't much like Walt had been planning in 1966. So there's really no good reason for this museum to ever be replicated in Florida.

It's in San Francisco because that's where Walt's daughter and son-in-law live. It's truly fabulous. I took a day trip up to San Francisco from Orange County once just to see the museum. There are plenty of hourly flights from any of the five SoCal airports to SFO, and then hop in a cab and say "The Presidio, please" and you're there.

You won't regret it, but give yourself at least three hours at the museum. Up to five hours if you want to see any of the longer film presentations or break for lunch in the museum's café.

Last edited:

71jason

A little more "what could have been" ...

From an Equity source, American Idol Experience was very much on the chopping block. Contract for the IP is up early in 2014, and it's "kind of expensive" for the return they get. Actors were making plans to find something else in a hurry. However, due to the freeze on Imagineering, TDO realized they have no choice but to keep AIE right where it is. Good for Orlando actor job security, meh for guests.

71jason

Also, may have been reported elsewhere, but Orlando Eye grand opening targeted for NYE 2014 (i.e. 1 year from now), with soft openings and the surrounding attractions opening in late November/early December.

In other words, the largest Ferris wheel in the country, and a CityWalk/PI-like development to boot (with tenants!), will be built in less time than it takes TDO to throw up a parking garage.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Also, may have been reported elsewhere, but Orlando Eye grand opening targeted for NYE 2014 (i.e. 1 year from now), with soft openings and the surrounding attractions opening in late November/early December.

In other words, the largest Ferris wheel in the country, and a CityWalk/PI-like development to boot (with tenants!), will be built in less time than it takes TDO to throw up a parking garage.

But it will be a magical parking facility.

doctornick

A little more "what could have been" ...

From an Equity source, American Idol Experience was very much on the chopping block. Contract for the IP is up early in 2014, and it's "kind of expensive" for the return they get. Actors were making plans to find something else in a hurry. However, due to the freeze on Imagineering, TDO realized they have no choice but to keep AIE right where it is. Good for Orlando actor job security, meh for guests.

sigh. Personally, i can't wait until AIE is actually replaced by an attraction I'm interested in visiting. If it is Star Wars related, all the better.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I've never bothered to see AIE.

I saw your post first (being the most recent one) and had to go back and read the previous page since my mind went immediately to Alien Encounter! Bad news for an existing attraction if I initially recall a long defunct piece of entertainment. I didn't even know AI was no longer on the air.

Not sure how long the contract lasts, but given the ratings, seems like they could have a real issue of an attraction whose prize is a Fastpass to a show no longer on the air.

Without a good prize, who is going to want to spend a HUGE chunk of their day participating in the contest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom