The Sorcerer's Hat Is Staying

wdwcrazy

Don't the Disney people know that changing things around like that causes diehard fans grief?

No, it really doesn't cause anybody grief. I guess it's just you. Hell why we're at it, let's cut down the tree of life and tear down Cinderella's Castle!

spagmoid

Account Suspended
The hat fits right in for one simple reason: MGM is a very poorly designed park. Look at the hub in MK, and the design of Epcot. Those are masterpieces. MGM 's pathways are not based on any sort of logical design, the park's theme's don't flow. It is a mess.

On the other hand, the sign over Spaceship Earth is blasphemy. That's like making a sequel to Cinderella, and intentionally making it direct-to-video quality. Oh wait, they did that too.

jmarc63

Originally posted by spagmoid
The hat fits right in for one simple reason: MGM is a very poorly designed park. Look at the hub in MK, and the design of Epcot. Those are masterpieces. MGM 's pathways are not based on any sort of logical design, the park's theme's don't flow. It is a mess.

On the other hand, the sign over Spaceship Earth is blasphemy. That's like making a sequel to Cinderella, and intentionally making it direct-to-video quality. Oh wait, they did that too.

If any one was at MGM before they built Sunset Blvd with ToT there was the ampltheater right where Sunset connects with Hollywood Blvd today . they rebuilt it at the end of Sunset where it is now.

the amplatheater was Mickey's right ear of the hidden Mickey, when they removed the Amplatheater, it totaly destroyed the hidden mickey effect. I dont think in retospect they knew what there plan was. I suspect they did that as a cheaper way to expand than going to the other side of World Drive like I had heard rumors of when they built MGM.

wdwcrazy

Disney-MGM Studios is pretty well designed except for Mickey Blvd. There is only one entrance to the blvd, so you if you're over near the Muppets you have to walk all they way over to the otherside of the park.

meanmice

I never really understood how MGM was designed. I always felt that it had flow problems. As for the hat, I was there when they were building it and felt that it was an eye sore because it blocked the wonderful view of the Chinese Theature when you walked in. I feel that it should be taken down.

LRV3400

Originally posted by meanmice
As for the hat, I was there when they were building it and felt that it was an eye sore because it blocked the wonderful view of the Chinese Theature when you walked in.

I just looked again last night and noticed palm trees are planted on each side of the hat that help block the sides of the chinese theater that would have not been blocked by the hat. Looks like they wanted to totally erase it from view.

JLW11Hi

Originally posted by meanmice
I never really understood how MGM was designed. I always felt that it had flow problems. As for the hat, I was there when they were building it and felt that it was an eye sore because it blocked the wonderful view of the Chinese Theature when you walked in. I feel that it should be taken down.

Well, you could look at it that way, but for a park that is based basically on the entertainment industry, which is highly diversified, it can be hard to make things "flow" properly. There is Hollywood Boulevard, which defines Hollywood's "golden age", and, ignoring the shops, is one of my favorite designed places in the park. Then there is Mickey Ave., which basically is themed as the "Backstage" of a movie studio. Echo Lake has a lot of "Television" themes around it. Sunset Boulevard, which I think we can all say was made strictly for the Tower of Terror, defines more of "old Hollywood" during the 1930's, and is another of my favorite designed places in the park. New York Street, which I think is having some of the biggest theme problems, was first only made for the backlot tour, and never had any real atttractions to fit its theme when they opened it up to the guests. The Muppets sort of fit in here, but I think they need some kind of "gangster" type ride here. And, as I said before, movies and entertainment are very diversified, so many attractions had to be put in places completely out of theming than the area around them (Indiana Jones, Star Tours, Rock and Rollercoaster). But these rides do have a lot of theming given to them in just the queue area, almost giving each attraction its own "area". Still, overall, none of the rides based on movies and such are really ever given full theming to make it feel you are really in their own world, as opposed to making it feel like you are on a movie set. (ex. Indiana Jones is set up as a movie being filmed, instead of actually making it seem like you are in the world of Indiana Jones).

I personally think that all of this diversified theming makes it such a great park, because you could put just about anything here, kinda like the Magic Kingdom.

Of course, you all might have been talking about the design of the park as in how the paths are confusing and not as efficient as other parks, which I agree with.
I hope I didn't just debate on the wrong subject :lookaroun

Ok, Im done :D

LRV3400

Great comments JLW.

I would like to second the observation that throughout almost all of the park every thing you see is ment to be a set or production and not the actual place. (In RnRC the alley and garage you load in are lit from the ceiling with obvous theatrical lighting. Same at StarTours)

I would point out that the Hollywood Tower Hotel is the one attraction that is not a set. We all know the ride's story, but notice that once you step though the gates you are not on the "set" of a Twilight Zone episode, you are IN the TZ show's reality. This is one of the key drivers to the bellhops' behavior. They are NOT actors playing the part, they are the actual bellhops from 1939 who were zapped into today.

Just some food for thought on my favorite old hotel. :D

raven

Originally posted by TheDisneyBoy
Kinda looks silly the way that it blocks your view of the Chinese Theatre from down Hollywood Blvd.

I've always thought that too. They should move it outside of the gates before you come in. That would be a good place for it and it wouldn't block the view of the theatre.

Tramp

Originally posted by raven

I've always thought that too. They should move it outside of the gates before you come in. That would be a good place for it and it wouldn't block the view of the theatre.

That's exactly where I would've put it...walking into the Studios under that beautiful hat would've been tantamount to walking thru the Castle at the Magic Kingdom...very impressive and meaningful!

Tramp

Originally posted by wdwcrazy
Well I hope you guys get to like it where it is because the hat isn't gong anywhere.:sohappy:

I'm already use to it but will never like the location...perhaps if I never knew the way Hollywood Blvd looked before the Hat, I would be more receptive to it.

Attachments

• mgm2.jpg
    mgm2.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 151

JLW11Hi

Originally posted by LRV3400
Great comments JLW.

I would like to second the observation that throughout almost all of the park every thing you see is ment to be a set or production and not the actual place. (In RnRC the alley and garage you load in are lit from the ceiling with obvous theatrical lighting. Same at StarTours)

I would point out that the Hollywood Tower Hotel is the one attraction that is not a set. We all know the ride's story, but notice that once you step though the gates you are not on the "set" of a Twilight Zone episode, you are IN the TZ show's reality. This is one of the key drivers to the bellhops' behavior. They are NOT actors playing the part, they are the actual bellhops from 1939 who were zapped into today.

Just some food for thought on my favorite old hotel. :D

Thanks, LRV.

That is one great thing with the Tower of Terror theming-wise, because although it is not set up like a movie set, it is designed to be an actual part of Hollywood (The Hollywood Tower hotel), aside from the idea of movie making.

wdwcrazy

I didn't say it didn't look good before the hat, I just think it looks a lot better with the hat, and adds some magic to Hollywood Blvd. The Chinese Theatre isn't Disney, it's just a copy of a real landmark. This debate will never end, I like it, you don't, oh well.:brick:

cymbaldiva

Originally posted by wdwcrazy
I didn't say it didn't look good before the hat, I just think it looks a lot better with the hat, and adds some magic to Hollywood Blvd. The Chinese Theatre isn't Disney, it's just a copy of a real landmark. This debate will never end, I like it, you don't, oh well.:brick:

Thank goodness I still have the freedom to not like it ... seems like there are so many of these "improvements" that I don't care much for lately! Sometimes it feels like all of the magic has been sucked out of WDW...:cry:

MKingdom25

Originally posted by raven

I don't think this would be a good idea because it would really stick out. Whetherr you like the current location or not, I think something that big and well-designed wouldn't fit right unless its in the parks somewhere.

Originally posted by Tramp

That's exactly where I would've put it...walking into the Studios under that beautiful hat would've been tantamount to walking thru the Castle at the Magic Kingdom...very impressive and meaningful!

I don't think it would be the same because the Castle is not at the very front of the park. You are already well in the park when you encounter the Castle, unlike if you put the Hat at the very front, and the Castle serves as a central point for the rest of the park and fits in very well.

cymbaldiva

But Spaceship Earth is right at the front of Epcot, and that's worked out ....

Oh yeah, and which Dallas suburb? I went to high school in those parts...I might have heard of it! :)

JLW11Hi

Originally posted by cymbaldiva
But Spaceship Earth is right at the front of Epcot, and that's worked out ....

Oh yeah, and which Dallas suburb? I went to high school in those parts...I might have heard of it! :)

Epcot and the Studios are two completely different places. Spaceship Earth is a ride, opposed to just a big landmark (or store in this case :)). Spaceship Earth is the introduction to Future World, and I think the imagineers almost wanted most visitors to ride this right away before anything else, to give them a feel of what Epcot is all about.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom