The Sorcerer's Apprentice, Season 7: Fantasmic Journeys - Hype Thread

Tux

Question Of The Day
Question of the Day
With just over 12 hours until the game begins, for the veterans, what is your favorite past SAU prompt. For the newcomers, what are you most excited to try?
II know it wound up not being one of the more successful projects, but Stanza l - From Paris With Love from The Sorcerer’s Apprentice 6: Odyssey stands out because that’s when Team TMNT started to form, although it didn’t officially become a thing until season 2. That, and the Efteling from Season 6: Odyssey, since I liked the bullet point format I did for the renovations there.

Sharon&Susan

Sorry for responding a bunch and deleting my replies. Why do you need to change your avatar soon?
Julius Kelp is a nerdy and not very handsome chemistry professor at small college. The mild mannered Kelp has been bullied all of his life and is now pushed around by his students, especially the football players. One of his students, the pretty Stella Purdy, encourages him to stand up to them but his approach is to develop a chemical solution that will turn him into a different man. What he develops turns him into Buddy Love, who Stella aptly describes as a rude and discourteous egomaniac. One thing he can't control however is when he turns back into Kelp, something that puts his secret in danger of becoming public.
It's just roleplay
I think

DisneyManOne

Let's get reviewing!

Alien Encounter Returns

iu
First, you move all the props and chairs leftover from SGE from Tomorrowland to Disney's California Adventure (yes, really), then you make a brand new state of the art animatronic for the alien, then record new queue footage and even incorporate a new plot involving some Marvel ties so the reference in Mission Breakout isn't empty and BOOM ALIEN ENCOUNTER YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

if that doesn't count as improving idk what does
Honestly, this one left me a little cold. Simply bringing back Alien Encounter with nothing new about it apart from some new animatronics, just seems too easy. I think you would have done much better to expand upon the "Marvel ties" concept. I can easily recall Monsters After Dark and how they used the Fire Dragon from Thor: Ragnarok. If you had sprungboard from there, and maybe have the Fire Dragon replace the Alien, that would have worked so much better! There is a glimmer of promise in this concept, but it ultimately fell flat due to its rehashed nature.
Future Autopia
Sponsored by (Whatever car company that's willing to sponsor)

View attachment 524071
An extensive refurb of the Tomorrowland Speedway, this revamp will add elements from it's Disneyland big brother such as more greenery and more overpasses along with additions of it's own such as a new fleet of electric cars and two new short dark ride sequences. Ride on the highways of tomorrow, get a peek inside a factory making environmentally friendly vehicles of tomorrow and even get a new paint job, the future is moving indeed moving forwards here!
Excellent work here! Seeing as how electric cars don't really get much recognizability -- even in this more futuristic age we live in -- this could be a lot of fun! It's certainly a lot better than what we have now!
There are so many ways to go with this, but for a simple one that works for a practice prompt;

TEST TRACK

View attachment 524076

Yeah, it’s fun, but upon subsequent rides the interior portion of Test Track is incredibly bland. We’re gonna add more of the “flat, illuminated, Tron-like” scenery in the first third of the ride (brake check), and spruce up the mirror rooms (heat, cold, corrosion) with some next gen projection effects that make the reflection of the ride vehicles look like super futuristic autonomous cars. And then we’ll add way more lights to the “crash test” room and maybe like a blue lightning effect on the garage door just for the cool factor.
Very clever concept! I admit, it has been a long time since I've last rode Test Track, so I'm a little fuzzy on how the interior looks, but this could help to make the ride stand out more. The projections are my favorite part, IMHO. Maybe it could be augmented further by giving each guest "Test Glasses", so that way, when they look in the mirror, it'll look like they're riding the vehicle they created in the pre-show!​

Soarin' Unplugged
View attachment 524083
Take a look behind the curtain and experience the science and technical wonder
of Soarin' Over the World without the distraction of CG Polar Bears and a bendy
Eiffel Tower. Rise, fall, and shake in time to an in-depth explanation of this ground-breaking
attraction from its lead designer, Mark Summer in what will surely make this already popular attraction
truly evergreen.
Hmm, this sounds interesting... It's not every day a Disney attraction actually showcases how the ride works. Given how EPCOT celebrates technology, it would be more than welcome there! On the other hand, it's the kind of thing best saved for documentaries. Plus, would Summer be on the screen, 'cause I think that would be quite the humorous visual.

Space Mountain

SpaceMountain-AtlasV-01202017-1.jpg

Space Mountain in Walt Disney World has seen better days and is definitely in need of some T.L.C., especially when its new neighbor is the newest Disney coaster to date (Tron Lightcycle Run). Among the laundry list of items for improvement in the attraction will be the ride track (which will be completely replaced for a smoother ride experience), the ride vehicles (which will be completely redesigned for more guest comfortability and addition of SOBATs/synchronized onboard audio tracks), the current effects inside the dome (enhancements of the current lighting and projection systems), as well as the addition of new story elements that will be unique to each track (randomized "encounters" with various celestial bodies interacting with the track done through projection domes/screens a la Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind at EPCOT), a redesigned "wormhole" re-entry tunnel to the unload platform (which will also be redesigned to match the load station; why doesn't it match, I don't know), and a new attraction score from Pinar Toprak (Captain Marvel, EPCOT).​
Bravo! I am not a big thrill ride guy, but if Space Mountain was refurbished just the way you laid out, I would absolutely give it a ride! From what I've heard and seen on YouTube and online, this is one ride in desperate need of an upgrade, and you gave it a good one, and then some!​

Peter Pan's Flight, Refreshed
View attachment 524100
We all love Peter Pan's Flight, but it could certainly benefit from a refresh - the ride hasn't been truly updated in quite some time. The ride vehicles are swapped out for four-person ships a la Disneyland Paris, making for better capacity (which hopefully leads to shorter wait times), animatronics are made much more advanced, new special effects and gags are added, and new dialogue for Captain Hook and Mr. Smee is recorded by Corey Burton and Jeff Bennett (as many have noted that Captain Hook's voice in the ride sounds incredibly off) - all giving the ride a much-needed update but still retaining the magic and charm.
There's only so much one can do with Fantasyland dark rides due to their limited space, but you made the most of it. I can easily see this working for Peter Pan, especially given what Disneyland's Peter Pan underwent a few years ago!
Mickey's Remixed PhilharMagic

mickeys_phil_2.jpg

Mickey's PhilharMagic is a fun show, but it's definitely been feeling a bit threadbare with a basic music selection (where the bulk is focused on the Disney Renaissance), so a revamp with a new show film and effects plus an emphasis on celebrating Disney music from throughout the years could just give it the jolt it needs. Just imagine Donald Duck chasing after the magic hat through such songs as "The Unbirthday Song" from Alice in Wonderland, "I've Got a Dream" from Tangled, or even "The World's Greatest Criminal Mind" from The Great Mouse Detective (just to name some potential songs).​
Very comprehensive! I've heard many ideas for a rotating PhilharMagic concept over the years, but never one for a whole new film. The idea of having a different song represent each era of Disney films (at least that's the concept I gleamed from reading this) is a very clever one. Plus, it would give some lesser-known Disney songs their time in the spotlight!
Journey Into Imagination With Dreamfinder

While You’d Think Disney’s Core Audience Would Be Children Interested In Some Bullcrap Like Frozen, Apparently It’s A Bunch Of Young Adults To However Old @D Hulk Actually Is That Went To The Park When They Were Young & Hate All The New Stuff (Though Admittedly I Also Get Overly Upset At Disney From Time To Time So I Suppose I Can’t Be Too Hypocritical), So Here’s The Easiest Way To Please The Fans, Chapek. Remake The Original Journey Into Imagination & Replace “With Figment” With It, Just Make It Higher Budget & Change The Name So It Doesn’t Get Too Confusing When Talking About Different Versions Of The Ride, (Catches Breath), Oh & Uh Also Bring Back The Dreamfinder/Figment Walkaround Character.
Let me get this straight: Your plan to improve Journey Into Imagination is to simply remake the original? This is the exact same problem I had with TwilightZone's Alien Encounter concept: no originality. Even the slightest changes --i;e new projections and effects, or a new scene -- would be enough. For example, when I did Dreamflight for a prompt back in Season 5, I made sure to make a few changes so it wasn't the same thing as the Magic Kingdom ride. Also, I admit the constant capitalization and the fact that your prompt begins with one big run-on sentence made things very, very hard for me to read, but that's just a minor nitpick.
Indiana Jones' Truly Renovated Adventure (DL Version)
View attachment 524143

This attraction has constantly been plagued with downtime and a slew of broken effects throughout its lifetime that seriously need to be addressed to have a more functional and reliable attraction. Updates to this attraction would include fixing multiple effects including the Chamber of Destiny entrance, falling rocks, the moving snake head, the boiling lava, and improved consistency with the boulder along with an improved maintenance schedule for less downtime, adjustment of the audio levels in the ride, and repairing Indy's dialogue so it doesn't cut out halfway through his speeches creating a much more memorable experience for guests at Disneyland!
I must admit, this was incredible! Indiana Jones Adventure is already one of Disney's best dark rides, warts and all, and your concept would help improve the attraction tenfold. However, this concept is dampened by one small thing that makes a big difference: The prompt specifically requested Walt Disney World, not Disneyland. As much as I'd love to have this ride in Florida, sadly, it just can't be...at least for now.​

STAR TOURS III
THE ADVENTURES CONTINUE TO CONTINUE

(Not that it really needs help but the more the merrier)

New Planets, Characters, and More! Star Tours is a huge success, and for 2021 this success will expand with even more variety in stories so that you can ride all day and still find new adventures to explore.

9KAHvMg.jpg
That was incredible! The choice of new locations is very well done. I love how it really spans the Star Wars universe. Plus, we'll finally get to go to Endor, after 34 years of not being able to! However, I do admit: I fear that Star Tours' days are numbered, given that Galaxy's Edge may soon make it redundant. Also, I would complain that this would break the ride's theme of being set in-between Episodes III and IV, but no one's seemed to care about that anymore (Remember, the OG Adventures Continue had a Hoth scene, even though that wouldn't be of any importance until Episode V). I'd recommend going back and saying something about a new timeframe for the ride, and that would help make the presentation stand out a bit more.​

DisneyManOne

The Sorcerer's Warmups: Final Countdown Results

Here, for the last time, are the placers for the Sorcerer's Warmups.

Honorable Mention: Star Tours III by @Outbound
A very solid concept and an excellent way to improve one of Disney's most beloved thrill rides.

However, I do admit, I would've given this to @Mickeynerd17, but alas, they went against the prompt and did a Disneyland attraction and not a Disney World attraction. Are "Honorable Honorable Mentions" a thing in this game? They should be.

Bronze Medal: Mickey's Remixed PhilharMagic by @DashHaber
Basically catnip for hardcore Disney fans like me; and frankly, a fun way to get some new music into the attraction.

Silver Medal: Space Mountain by @montydysquith-navarro
This is to Walt Disney World's Space Mountain what the 2005 refurb was to Disneyland's Space Mountain and I love every last inch of it!

Gold Medal: Future Autopia by @Sharon&Susan
Of all of the ones I considered the best of the bunch, this was for the attraction that needs a refurbishment more than any of the other attractions discussed, hence why it edged out some very stiff competition in the end!

Thus concludes The Sorcerer's Warmups. Congratulations to all of you who took part in the warmups; and best wishes to you all going forth in The Sorcerer's Apprentice, Season 7: Fantastic Journeys!

Play us out, Fantasmic!

Mickeynerd17

The Sorcerer's Warmups: Final Countdown Results

Here, for the last time, are the placers for the Sorcerer's Warmups.

Honorable Mention: Star Tours III by @Outbound
A very solid concept and an excellent way to improve one of Disney's most beloved thrill rides.

However, I do admit, I would've given this to @Mickeynerd17, but alas, they went against the prompt and did a Disneyland attraction and not a Disney World attraction. Are "Honorable Honorable Mentions" a thing in this game? They should be.

Bronze Medal: Mickey's Remixed PhilharMagic by @DashHaber
Basically catnip for hardcore Disney fans like me; and frankly, a fun way to get some new music into the attraction.

Silver Medal: Space Mountain by @montydysquith-navarro
This is to Walt Disney World's Space Mountain what the 2005 refurb was to Disneyland's Space Mountain and I love every last inch of it!

Gold Medal: Future Autopia by @Sharon&Susan
Of all of the ones I considered the best of the bunch, this was for the attraction that needs a refurbishment more than any of the other attractions discussed, hence why it edged out some very stiff competition in the end!

Thus concludes The Sorcerer's Warmups. Congratulations to all of you who took part in the warmups; and best wishes to you all going forth in The Sorcerer's Apprentice, Season 7: Fantastic Journeys!

Play us out, Fantasmic!

Oh, I completely missed the WDW part and thought it was all-parks related. Oh well!

mickeyfan5534

Whelp, just finished WandaVision episode 1. I have no idea what’s going on but I’m really enjoying the classic sitcom references. Onto episode 2!
Episode 2: Onto the 60s. Really fun 60s sitcom hijinks with some more mystery about what’s going on. I think the black and white to color scene might end up being the iconic image for Phase 4 as a whole.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom