The Sorcerer's Apprentice, Season 7: Fantasmic Journeys [CONCLUDED!]

Chaos Cat

B-Wolf's Guest Review of Team Holland

• First off, that color scheme. Love the each of the colors represents one of the lands while still keeping the retro theme.
  • I heard of temporary entertainment and temporary overlays, but temporary attractions? That's a new one. Definitely a bit of gamble.
  • And we're starting off with a Preview Center. Good stuff. ;) Seriously, though, this seems pretty cool, seeing old theme park stuff like this out of storage.
  • My experience with Magic Journey was basically "Sister found the theme song on YouTube and found it so depressing-sounding she had to share it with the whole family." Not exactly the best experience, so hopeful seeing it in person would be better.
  • One good thing about temporary attractions is that you can do more risky ideas, like Futureport, which will probably only appeal Epcot nerds (*cough* @Mickeynerd17 *cough*). Good thing, too, because this sounds pretty cool and there no way Disney would otherwise allow this.
  • A Hollywood Studio retrospective ride should not be this good, but it is and I love it! I also love how works just as well in the real world as it does in SAU.
  • I like the concept of Melodies. Animal Kingdom doesn't talk about ocean life much, so a show focused entirely around water is cool. I just wish you went into a little more detail. 7.8/10 Too much water (Also, Merbabies sounds like some type of doll line)
  • 50 unique food items!? Remind me to get help from @Imagineer Brandon if I need to work on a restaurant again.
  • The Bay Lake Adventure Island is the old Discovery Island, right? Either way, I like the idea of, like, a sort of mini-park that guests can enjoy.
  • Another Peter Pan update, Yay!
  • The Fantasyland stretch of the railroad was always kind of blah, so a diorama that has the bonus side effect of saving the Energy dino is good in my book.
  • Peoplemover update, and I have to say, thank you for doing something with the Space Mountain section! That part's been really dull since they darken Space Mountain, so thank you for spicing it up.
  • Yay, Imagination update- oh it's over already. Yeah, could of done with more detail here. As is, I have no idea what the new ride is like.
  • You improved Muppet*Vision. How? Is @Sharon&Susan a witch? What black magic are you dabbling is to improve upon perfection?
  • Oh my god, that new storyline for Kilimanjaro is so cute! I love the idea of baby elephant just wandering around the preserve and just messing around and being cute and ah, my heart!
  • Is it bad that I thought that [Bad Scrabble Hand]: The Frozen Ship of Asgard was a Frozen Ever After replacement at first? Seriously though, this is a very cool (heh) walkthrough and I hope what new land gets built there keeps at least some part of it.
  • Classic Disney songs remixed in retro styles by the people behind Agatha All Along? Sign me up! This is such a fun concept for a show, please Disney, please use this idea.
  • Moments of Magic is a pretty solid parade. Nothing too special, admittedly, but the inclusion of Muppets is always good.
  • 50 hour. Event. I don't use the term "absolute madlads" lightly...
  • GAH, SO MUCH COOL RETRO STUFF!
  • 50 float. Parade. I used the "absolute madlads" joke too early.
  • I like watching The Imagineering Story, so if Once in a Lifetime is anything like that, then sign me up!
  • Okay, I think that Merbabies thing at the end was suppose to feel like a Rickroll, but that was honestly so cute I can't get mad at it. So you're good, Team Holland... this time.
  • Overall, this was a pretty cool and fun retro-themed event. Lots of neat, out-of-the-box stuff here. There were some section that need some more detail (Imagination comes to mind), but overall, I greatly enjoyed it.
Okay, two down. Almost done.

Outbound

Original Poster
Outbound's Card.png

This prompt was a special breed. We haven’t had an anniversary prompt all season, and most of the anniversary prompts of prior seasons have all themed around ad campaigns, not the celebrations themselves. For that, you really didn’t have much to go off, and as a result, each team went off in three very different directions.

There’s the more realistic angle - more in line with Disneyland’s 50th Anniversary. Changes are made, but nothing drastic, with a larger focus on necessary improvements than large-scale expansions. Or, you can take the SAU angle, where the sky really is the limit, and use this prompt as an opportunity to build the 50th Anniversary of your dream.

Because of all these different approaches, it is challenging to judge each project side by side. But this is the quarterfinal and a winner must be declared, and unfortunately, a few must be let go. Just keep in mind: every team did something special this round. I’d be proud to have played on any one of these teams this week - this round is an exemplary effort from all of you.

E7ELi6C.jpg

TEAM GARFIELD
The Really Long One

This project is insane. At 233 pages, it’s the longest I am aware of existing in an Imagineering game. I know Team Castle had an infamous 84 Pages for their opening project in Season 4 and Mumbai Disneyland of Season 6 possessed a whopping 138, but that was with 20+ people over two weeks. You had only one week and a mere five.

So for that accomplishment, you all get standing ovations.

But.

To be completely honest, your massive scope of this project hinders you. It reminds me of Team Reality’s New York Project, amazing in all its bits and pieces but the more it goes on the more it strays from plausibility. There are parts of this project that could be submitted as their own separate projects. Dash’s brilliant Tomorrowland overhaul, for instance, or the incredible Celebrate a Wish Come True nighttime spectacular. It is monumental how much you were able to accomplish in such little time, and how much of it is independently fantastic.

What makes it more complicated is that there is very little I would willingly cut. With the exception of the redundant “Already Announced” pages, everything on the website is phenomenal. Instead, I think you should have bitten back a bit and accepted that not everything can be accomplished in a single year. I know it’s not what you want to hear, but I just don’t think Disney, even SAU Disney, would be able to create this many far-reaching changes to the resort in such a short time.

But this is only one concern. It does NOT ruin your project, which on the whole is incredible. It’s just something that I would point to in the future to work on.

MAGIC KINGDOM
All the attraction upgrades are double thumbs-up. EARidescent is a lovely recurring theme, from the ride overlays to Dole Whip, that helps tie everything together.

The Tomorrowland overhaul is excellent. As a Californian I don’t think about this much… but Tomorrowland is really made redundant in Disney World. Toy Story Land in DHS, FutureWorld in EPCOT… Tomorrowland desperately needs a new theme, and the Raygun Gothic approach is a really unique but fitting one to choose! I have nothing but praise towards this overhaul.

Let’s talk about the two shows. I love both for different reasons - the Classic Magic Parade is such a fantastic concept, hitting all the highlights of classic Magic Kingdom, while Celebrate a Wish Come True is basically taking that concept and transforming it into a narrative epic. Given Magic Kingdom’s history, both work excellently for an anniversary celebration.

EPCOT
I’m sad you had to fire Neil de Tyson from earlier, he’s a fantastic voice actor. I don’t know who this Neil deGrasse Tyson guy is but I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt. /s

Upgrading the American Adventure as time passes is always a smart idea.

The Imagination Pavilion Rework is once again, a lovely overhaul for an area much in need of love in WDW today. What interests me most is the level of, well, imagination on display! Most fans would rally towards bringing back the original ride, but instead, you’ve opted for another pass on the classic attraction. Will this work? I’m honestly not sure. Reading it through, I think it captures the whimsical spirit of the original while doing something new. But only time would tell for this change IRL. Regardless, I commend you for choosing originality over a simple refurbishment of the classic ride.

Ending things off, the EPCOT Concert Series is a smart marketing campaign for the 50th. This is one of the few parts of the project where you lean more into the “celebration” aspect of the anniversary, and I really appreciated that kind of focus.

HOLLYWOOD STUDIOS
Star Tours improvements = double thumbs up.

I’m bitterly accepting Pixar Place. Unlike Hulk, Ace, and Space, I was not involved with the DHS Season 4 project, so I really have no right to complain. And it makes total sense for Disney to do this. I guess I just hate change, lol.

A Toy Story Adventure is a super creative approach to the “Toy Story Ride” theme, distinct from all that’s come before it. I love the idea of setting it in Bonnie’s imagination and playing up all the silly tropes that would inevitably follow.

Is a Doctor Strange Sunt Show possible in Orlando? I was under the impression Universal’s Marvel rights extended to characters like Strange, which prevent Disney from using him even if it’s the version from their movies. But maybe I’m not understanding it properly, or in the SAU things are different. I mean if TinTin’s an IP, anything flies, right?

Mickey’s Stardust Circus Parade sounds like a lot of fun, especially with the Fab Five in their unique roles. My only worry is does it truly fit Hollywood Studios? I think it might be a better fit for the Storybook Circus in Magic Kingdom, but MK is already overstuffed with parades and events as is.

Fantasmic 2.0 is a solid overhaul, adding modern IPs while retaining the tone and atmosphere of the original. Not much else to say.

ANIMAL KINGDOM
Burn Chester and Hester! The Excavator is a much better fit.

All in all, this Dinoland retheme is excellent… continuing your theme of Tomorrowland and the Imagination Pavillion by fixing up a land in need. Shifting the Dino Institute’s base to New Mexico also gives the entire area a new feeling, which when compared to the rest of the park helps diversify the biomes at play

The Circle of Life looks fantastic! I love the Lion King tie-in, not just with the images from the 2019 movie but the whole structure of being, hunting, death, and rebirth. It serves as an excellent conclusion to a long day at Animal Kingdom.

INVENTUS
Inventus gets the least overall changes of the parks, but that’s ok. It makes sense considering this is the most recent of the parks. A couple new flat rides will do, plus an improved menu to address fans’ concerns.

DISNEY SPRINGS
Overhauling the Marketplace is a fantastic idea, especially with how much depth you’ve gone into each and every shop available. A bit confused by Mr. Beasts’ inclusion, but everything else looks like the perfect fit for Disney Springs.

MISCELLANEOUS
A series of here-and-there improvements around WDW. Not much else to say, though great job putting such detail into not only the parks but other areas of WDW as well.

The Treats and Merchandise and EARidescent Overlays are some of my favorite details, and I kinda wish there was more of a focus on those sorts of things rather than even more expansions (water parks, disneysprings, etc).

Speaking of which - the Mount Olympus iridescent concept art by MickeyWaffle is absolutely beautiful. In fact, the entire website possesses this wonderful iridescent look that mirrors the celebration's color pallet. Excellent use of a presentation.

CONCLUSION
This project exemplifies “go big or go home”. All five of you contributed in major ways to the final project, adding five massive expansions to the parks and Disney Springs, plus dozens of minor refurbishments, and then general improvements to the resort at large. It’s a dream proposal for a long-term expansion plan… but…

I can’t help but feel like the Anniversary Celebration itself is sorta pushed to the wayside by all the widespread resort changes. My favorite parts of this project were the original Parades, Shows, and little features like EARidescent Treats. Not because the overhauls weren’t fantastic (they were!) but because it felt the most relating to the prompt of a 50 year anniversary.

In summary, you should be immensely proud of what you were able to accomplish in just one week. It truly shows incredible teamwork from everyone for this to happen, not to mention great leadership from your project manager and dethroner of the tiara, Tcool. Next week though, I’d suggest slowing down a bit, and trying to find a closer blend between ambition and realism relating to the prompt.

9Gd5hTD.jpg

TEAM HOLLAND
The One With Weird Colors

At a mere 20 pages in one week, Team Holland came in a lowly second place for pagecount. The travesty to have Tegan on your team and not win the tiara --

Ok I’ll stop, all a joke please don’t take that personally. I’m sure you’ll get your revenge on Tcool next round!

But actually, this may be my personal favorite project (objective rankings aside). You’ve done an excellent job blending realism with originality. Despite all the amazing ideas on display, it’s focused and logical. You don’t go overboard with expansions or new entertainment, but you also make sure to use enough ideas to fill out the entire resort with things to do all year long.

The choice of a 70s color pallet is an inspired idea, but I’m not entirely sure how it will work in execution. It gives off a great effect on your Google Doc, but whenever I look at the (very well made) concept art, I can’t help but think of Halloween with all the oranges and browns. It’s an example of an idea I love in concept but am a bit iffy on in execution.

The overall message of looking back to the past is a great one. My only concern is it feels a lot more relevant to Magic Kingdom and EPCOT than it does the rest of the resort. This is especially true for Animal Kingdom and Inventus, where the nostalgia felt in MK and EPCOT are pretty much nonexistent. However I consider this a minor nitpick, and more than worth it for the unique theme on display throughout the rest of the resort.

ONCE IN A LIFETIME ATTRACTIONS
Taking older attractions/ideas and retrofitting them back into the parks only for the anniversary year is a brilliant concept. That it lasts only a year is absolutely essential - in a single act, you add more to the anniversary while encouraging guests to visit for just this year, not the next!

I also appreciated how realistic these attractions are. The Progress City Preview Center feels like exactly the sort of thing Disney would do if they were feeling retrospective. Bringing back Dreamfinder and Figment in Fantastic Journeys is a little fan-servicey, but it fits perfectly with the theme you established at the beginning of the celebration. Plus, and this is most important, it’s cheap. Realistically speaking, when an attraction only lasts a year it’s not going to be given the same budget as an attraction meant to last a decade-plus.

Moving on, the “black box” attraction for Hollywood Studios is an excellent fit. I could easily see this existing in real life, and the decision to start the black box with a loose analogue to the Hollywood Tram Tour, removed earlier in the season, is absolutely perfect.

EPCOT’s “black box” I’m less sure about. I love Futureport - traveling around the past of EPCOT and hearing all the classic songs is a dream for most WDW fans. I’m more curious about the black box’s future. I’m not sure FutureWorld fits in as a black box as well as the ever-rotating Hollywood film industry does. Thinking it through, I’d predict it falling into the “sponsorship” model of the past - where specific companies sponsor the black box in an effort to show off their recent products/breakthroughs in low-budget dark rides. It’s interesting to think about.

Last, Melodies: The Magic of Water is a great night-show for Animal Kingdom! It feels a little different from the rest of the temporary attractions, where those were very nostalgic by their nature, this feels more like a modern show that could conceivably stay full time. Part of me wishes it did - I think it fits better than Turning Red as Animal Kingdom’s long-term nighttime spectacular, but that’s a matter of personal preference.

50 SPECIAL TREATS
This is one of those smaller additions that you wouldn’t necessarily notice a difference without it, but it really rounds out your project. And you didn’t skimp on it either, with each of the 50 snacks unique in both snack and location throughout the resort. Bravo!

WHEN THE CELEBRATION ENDS...
This is another small piece that I love. It really drives home this is an anniversary and not just a timed mega-expansion. 50th Anniversary events will close and new attractions will come in. Everything makes so much sense.

BAY LAKE ADVENTURE ISLAND
Discovery Island returns! If there was one addition I’d call the “headliner” of this celebration, I think this would be it. And I love how it’s not a simple retread of what came before, but something new for the property. Bay Lake sounds like a fun “mini-park” to enjoy during extended stays in Orlando.

OTHER REFURBISHMENTS
Peter Pan, PeopleMover, Journey into Imagination, Muppet Vision, Safaris. What do these all have in common? They’re all beloved properties that have over the years fallen from their prime. I love how, rather than just returning them to their original glories, you’re creatively revising the attractions to be better than ever.

Both Primeval World and Skidbladnir are cool concepts that make perfect sense for the SAU. I don’t have as much to say about them, but I still think they’re great to include here.

SHOWS AND SPECTACULARS
Turning attention to shows, Once Upon Once in a Lifetime is an excellent “thesis” for your theme of celebrating the past in a special Disney way. I love how each decade gets a franchise and message, with each tying together to create the perfect Disney vacation. Moments like these truly tie together your more retro-style anniversary setting.

Once Upon Once in a Lifetime’s daytime parade counterpart, Moments Of Magic, doesn’t skimp either. Following the path of Walt is always a great theme to touch upon with Disney anniversaries, although ironically I feel it’s a bit disconnected from Walt Disney World proper. Most of the parade’s attention is directed towards accomplishments outside WDW, which I’m not sure flows as well as it could for a 50th WDW Anniversary.

THE 50 HOUR EXTRAVAGANZA
You sold me at 50 hours… there’s so much to do on this day, I feel the time would run by fast all things considered.

OTHER EVENTS
Ending off the project is a series of smaller changes that continue to add a strong sense of realism to this project. A Disney+ Show about WDW is the ideal marketing tool to encourage people to come to the 50th. I also disagree with Space on Retro Revivals… while yes, it might take you out of the attraction, I think the fact you’re lucky enough to “ride the gold one” more than justifies it. It’s a once-in-a-lifetime event that you will forever remember.

Finally, obligatory “yay to the trashcans” comment. It’s there, I noticed it, I commented regarding it.

CONCLUSION
Of the three teams, I think this most hits the “middle ground” between ambition and realism. Garfield went highly ambitious while Maguire played it very safe. Will this middle-ground approach pay off for Team Holland, or will things go horribly wrong? If so, it’s all Pi’s fault for picking out those darn pesky colors.

But actually, fantastic work Team Holland!

pIPJhwe.jpg

TEAM MAGUIRE
The One With the Typo

Tobey Maguire is the campiest Spider-Man and yet Team Maguire is the most realistic of the bunch. It’s treason, then.

Led by two veteran armchair imagineers and three dependable newbies, Team Maguire silently chugged along to produce a project that shines in the smaller details. Its careful attention to realism makes it without a doubt the most likely of the 50th Anniversaries, with significant focus given to areas outside the parks like the resorts and skyliner. Although they may be easy to forget, they are just as much a part of the resort as the parks, and focusing on everything really boasts the realism for this team's project.

On the flipside, with realism comes a bit less out of the 50th Anniversary. Although there’s certainly still much to do - taking into consideration the real-world construction Disney is already undertaking for future properties, perhaps it is even too much to be plausible IRL - compared to the other projects, this 50th Anniversary is somewhat shorter. But that’s by no means a bad thing: it allows you to focus more on the smaller changes made throughout the resort.

So without further ado, let’s break them down one by one!

MAGIC KINGDOM
Adventureland is a smart choice for refurbishment. Removing the Magic Carpets earns a thumbs up from me, as it clears out the space for foot traffic. Likewise, removing the Treehouse for something more accessible is a smart move. Falco’s Flight fulfills its job as Adventureland flat ride wonderfully, plus a SEA reference is always appreciated. Finally, Moana makes more sense in Adventureland than it ever did in FutureWorld, so double thumbs up there.

Magic of Memories is an excellent combination of IPs with classic Magic Kingdom fun. I love how you tied all of MK’s lands together with their own elements in the show… it sounds like the perfect conclusion to one’s day at the Magic Kingdom. Plus, Joker’s video is just awesome.

For the Celebrate the Magic Parade, I wish there was a little more detail to fit with the rest of the project. It doesn’t have to be as detailed as Magic of Memories, but maybe just some photos would have helped break up the largely blank page. Consistency is key to team projects, particularly when you break off into different tasks. It's ok to have a little bit more or less detail than others, but you don't want that to become the norm. As a team, it's a good idea to determine a general detail level so you're on the same page: again, it can be varied here or there, but a general detail level to follow always helps.

Finally, the unique foods and beverages for each land in the Magic Kingdom are a great touch!

EPCOT
A walkthrough for Turkey makes sense. Kudos for using an element of the SAU in your anniversary celebration. Custom food options around the World Showcase for only the 50th is a great marketing tool! Especially the alcohol: I'm sure that will draw large crowds ;)

HOLLYWOOD STUDIOS
Having seen the cinematic masterpiece that is Godzilla v Kong twice in the span of 24 hours, this is beautiful.

WDW: 50 Years in the Making is the exact sort of thing I’d expect Disney to do during the real 50th Anniversary. I especially appreciated the attention to detail you took in outlining not only the real groundbreaking changes of WDW but also the SAU’s groundbreaking changes. Looking at it now, in the SAU Disney World has been through a lot!

ANIMAL KINGDOM
I absolutely adore Primeval World! Animal Kingdom desperately needs family dark rides, and what you’re describing here is basically just that, with hints of EPCOT edutainment and Dinosaur levels immersion without any of the fear.

Thumbs up to the character boats!

INVENTUS
Well, that’s one way to bypass Inventus lol. But I suppose it makes sense to end the 50-year celebration with a 5th park to “move things forward”. A fantastical finale to enter 2022.

RESORTS AND CELEBRATION HUB
This is where the project really shines. The renovations into Disney's Backlot Movies Resort are detailed and well-reasoned. Families going to this resort will likely love the IPs chosen.

The Celebration Hub is an excellent idea. I wish you had formatted the website to start with this, as it would make for the ideal “base camp” for the rest of the Celebration around the resort. VR sounds really cool: to my understanding, it's a sort of advertisement of the type of things you’ll find during the 50th Anniversary, as to encourage guests in Disney Springs to head out to those parks/resorts? This is really interesting. It may be worthwhile to expand this VR model further to locations like local Disney Stores, to try and draw people to visit WDW from places beyond Orlando.

Lastly, Phase 2 of the Skyliner gets the classic double thumbs up!

SIGNATURE DINING
For some reason, I completely skipped this on my first readthrough! These menus are fantastic! But I have to agree with Ace’s comment that it’d make a lot more sense for these to be part of the foods in each park, rather than all kept in the corner of the website. Still, great work!

CONCLUSION
This is a shorter project than the rest, but it is also the most realistically designed. I think for that those on Team Maguire deserve a pat on the back.

If there was one point of constructive criticism I’d make, it's that your presentation didn’t really hold up to the rest of the teams. This is ironic considering you possessed some of the best artwork (the interactive map, fireworks show) but when it came down to compiling I think you were a bit rushed for time, leading to less formatting than usual in a presentation, and a certain typo on the MK page. And that’s perfectly understandable, mistakes always happen, but in the future, I’d suggest starting to compile your work together a bit earlier. It’s not the end of the world: the ideas are always going to be more important than how you present them. But it doesn’t hurt to make things look pretty.

Again, good job to all of you. Despite being overall a quieter and less large-scale team than your rivals, you more than made up for it by having every part of your project count.​

TheSquirrel

Team Garfield Review
I enjoy all of the minor changes except the EARidescent colours look like a rainbow version of the 90s VHS filter.
The Raygun Gothic look is very nice for Tommorowland and I never thought of it before you did it.
Vince Quasar is amazing.
The nighttime shows are really good.
The Epcot updates are amazing.
Every else is amazing nothing else to say

Chaos Cat

LAST ONE!
B-Wolf's Guest Review of Team Maguire

• Starting off, we... have a placeholder. "-INSERT DAYTIME PARADE DESCRIPTION SENTENCE-" Great start. 😅 Also, links at the bottom are always nice.
  • Expanding the Jungle Cruise to include the Amazon is a great idea and love the new temple finale. Also, "including multiple gags that I'm not paid nearly enough to try writing" is ironically a very good Jungle Cruise gag.
  • Another Adventureland Plaza redo, can't get enough of those! Falcon's Flight is not the type of ride I would expect for Adventureland, but it works so well. Got to love that classic Jungle Cruise humor.
  • Magic of Memories is another one of those "tribute to the park" shows like Team Garfield's Celebrate, but it feel wholly unique. I especially like how you used all of Main Street for this.
  • I take it the parade was a last minute job because wow that is brief.
  • I know nothing about Istanbul, but what you wrote and the images you used made me want to go, so good job.
  • Nice upgrade to Godzilla to keep it relevant but still timeless. The 50th documentary looks nice too
  • Another Dinoland overhaul, Yay! Journey Through the Primeval World is a cool idea; a sort of primeval safari. However, it's not entirely clear what ride system it uses. Is it a Bus Bar? An EMV?
  • The character boats are a nice way to kinetic energy and give a new purpose to the old boats, so I'm glad you decided to keep them. The presence of Sid and Diego surprised me, though it does make sense.
  • For Inventus, you guys... retconned it into be opened as part of the anniversary and basically left it untouched. Bit of a cop-out there.
  • Wow, you actually made me want to stay at All-Star Movies. Top 10 Anime Redemption Arcs
  • Okay, I'm not fully sure what the Celebration Hub is, but that map is really cool.
  • Honestly I'm kind of surprised Disney didn't already have the Skyliner go to Disney Springs already.
  • Overall, when your project was good, it was really good. But the quality was really up and down. Placeholder text left in. Descriptions that were probably written at the last minute. If I remember the PMs correctly, you even had to change your site setup at one point. All thing considered, though, it was still a good project. Just not the most polished.
And done. Thank you all for letting me review all of your lovely work and OH GOD THE SUN IS UP I SPENT ALL NIGHT ON THIS WHY DID I DO ALL THIS IN ONE GO I HAVE WORK TOMORROW AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-

JokersWild

Really appreciate the feedback, everyone. To speak to Team Maguire's presentation, we had a few scheduling issues as the week progressed so we ended up with a more rushed presentation. A few people had some things come up over the weekend as well, leading to some shorter write-ups. Initially the interactive map was going to be how readers would navigate the site (with a regular directory as well) but it ended up being a bit too large a project to pull off in a week. That being said, I love what @Disney Dad 3000 was able to accomplish and I'm glad that he was able to get a smaller version of it up in our presentation.

Evilgidgit

EVILGIDGIT'S REVIEW -- TEAM HOLLAND

• 65 PAGES!!?
  • The colour scheme used for the castle are a surprisingly great pallet (not that I know much about colour pairings), and help the makeover stand out from the usual whites and pinks.
  • I had assumed the preview centre named after Progress City would also include Progress City.​
  • Magic Journeys' return is more than welcome.​
  • I am concerned about the FuturePort attraction. Communicore East is a relatively small building, and though large enough to house a trackless dark ride, the sense of scale for each scene feels a bit mismatched. I do love the soundtrack.​
  • Although I hate the idea of this black box tech, the use of it for the Backlot attraction was a fantastic choice. Revisiting the orignal purpose of DHS will certainly stir the hearts of some guests (though the same could be said for all in this proposal).​
  • "Disney Short MERBABIES to coincide with it being added to Kingdom Hearts 4 as a new world" -- what? Having never heard of Merbabies, it is certainly a unique, unexpected addition, if a weird one.​
  • Bay Lake Adventure Island sounds like a fun addition, and a good place to take the kids if they are either wiped out or want a quieter day.​
  • The Peter Pan renovations are lovely.​
  • The Magic Kingdom doesn't have a diorama? Put it in now!​
  • Any improvement to Figment is more then welcome. It's time for Eric Moonface to go. I do wish there was more of an outline to this attraction, but it is a good pitch.​
  • Adding and updating MuppetVision is a fantastic idea, introducing new scenes that blend perfectly into the original version are genius ideas.​
  • I always thought that Kilimanjaro Safaris never needed a story considering the animals are the highlight, but unlike animatronics, they cannot be controlled. Having the additional story is a good choice, and adds a little extra charm.​
  • I've always appreciated Disney including small walkthrough attractions, and Skidbladnir is just an incredible idea. I love the choice to make it part walkthrough/play area, and relying on legitimate Norse mythology rather than just taking the Marvel route.​
  • Presenting the 50th fireworks display with "moods" is something I did not expect, but adds plenty of flavour to the celebrations.​
  • The 50 float parade is something I'd sit through.​
  • The seals feel like a nice nod to what Disneyland's 50th celebration did with the golden Mickeys.​
  • All in all, the plans are fully loaded with a celebration of the past, the present, and the future. The presentation is straightforward and easy to read, and although lacking a little in details for some attractions compared to others, it is a fine pitch for WDW's 50th anniversary.​

tcool123

What makes it more complicated is that there is very little I would willingly cut. With the exception of the redundant “Already Announced” pages, everything on the website is phenomenal. Instead, I think you should have bitten back a bit and accepted that not everything can be accomplished in a single year. I know it’s not what you want to hear, but I just don’t think Disney, even SAU Disney, would be able to create this many far-reaching changes to the resort in such a short time.
So an oopsies on my part is that we had mentioned earlier in our discussions that not everything was opening at once, but rather the openings of things were to happen before and throughout the anniversary spreading them out in a more realistic way similar to how insiders have said that Runaway Railway and Galaxies Edge have gone to say that Disney was going to include those two additions as 50th offerings, but we forgot to circle back to include our timeline so woopsies 😅

Orange Cat

@Honey Bee could use fleshing out. Right now it’s simply a preliminary list of floats. It’s a solid foundation, which needs to be made into a narrative.
I actually had pretty much zero confidence parade but that doesn’t change the fact that this is only one of two @s in the entire post which makes me feel weirdly targeted.
Moments of Magic is a pretty solid parade. Nothing too special, admittedly, but the inclusion of Muppets is always good.
I believe this is the highest praise I’ve gotten on it so thank you!

spacemt354

Chili's
Celestial Soda Pop
9a37bc4fd914d1b6050a35314c0dbd90.jpg

Continuing to navigate the Celestial, Yen Sid heard familiar background music across the desolate landscape, providing a calm, yet eerie tone to his stroll.

Coming up on what would have been the Penny Arcade, and a morphed Main Street, Yen Sid noticed the Main Street Theater was playing a short film called - The Tale of the Three Hats.

"Hmm this is intriguing, why would the Celestial be trying to tell me this? Does it think for itself?"
ljky2uo.jpg

Before the dawn of time, the Grand Wizard had two apprentices - M&M - Mickey and Maleficent. Both were extremely powerful in the art of magic and imagination. However, as the Sorcerer's Apprentice Universe came into reality, Yen Sid denied Maleficent her continuation of being an apprentice.

"I don't understand!" Maleficent cried "How could you do this to me?"

"I'm sorry Mal" Yensid explained "But we can only have one Sorcerer's Apprentice, and Mickey is the fan favorite, he is of course, the Sorcerer's Apprentice."

"But how come nobody likes me? Why can't there be more than one?" Maleficent retorted. Yen Sid looked upon his former apprentice.
9ldqV9b.png

"I'm sorry Mal, but there's no room for you in this universe." Yen Sid explained

"So I can't even be a part of this, after helping design it all - this is no fair!" she charged out of the conversation and into the darkness.

"Wait!" Yen Sid ran after his former apprentice. "I still want you to be a part of this universe, you can play a role"

"Fool, can't you see I had a role? And you took it from me. Now! I'm going to take something from you."
nFokrlo.jpg

Battling her former master, one of Maleficent's power blasts ricocheted and hit the Sorcerer's Hat, dividing it into three hats.

"Maleficent stop!" Mickey tried to interfere with his former friend, but it was no use. All three hats began to shake. Maleficent, still tearful eyed, vowed to return and collect what is rightfully hers.

*Flashback to Season 5* And Maleficent did just that
enhance

*Flashforward to Season 7* Maleficent's not just after the SAU, but the entire multiverse...

Yensid finished watching and began having flashbacks to how he hurt Maleficent

"This is all my fault" He told himself "I need to stop this, but she's too powerful now. We need allies, hopefully Tintin will be able to find them across the SAU"

Yen Sid also pondered the three hats, as he remembered the original hat is hidden under Indiana Jones and the Temple of Peril. But the duplicate hats, they've been used in Seasons 4 and Season 6. Yen Sid has the Season 4 one stored away, but perhaps the Season 6 hat that caused the Celestial's formation, is hidden within the Celestial itself...

spacemt354

Chili's
STANZA XIV RESULTS
After much deliberation and feedback, we've come to a decision for the anniversary projects. It can't be stressed enough again how much valiant effort was put in across the board. With that said...

Team Maguire
Some strong individual components, but the overall package compared to the competition left some room for improvement. An extra day or so and this could have been a contender for the win based on how strong some of the aspects such as the interactive map were as a whole.

Team Garfield
While 233 pages is by far one of the coolest accomplishments in an imagineering competition, just based on the sheer size and scope of the project, the scope also made the project suffer from focus. It felt more like wishlist of must-do things at WDW at times and some of the special offerings for the 50th which, if it was more the focus of the project, could have won!

Team Holland
The 'goldilocks' project - the perfect combo of nuanced additions mixed with a theme for the 50th that we all agreed we would make the trip down to WDW for the 50th to see - because it is truly a once in a lifetime event!

Stanza XIV Retired Players
We talked about this ad nauseum throughout the week back and forth - but due to the effort and enthusiasm put forth among the cast, we've decided to add 2 spots to the semi-finals roster! So instead of 10 advancing, it will be 12! That being said, it was still difficult to narrow it down to 12. Everyone played a role in the game and we decided the most fair way to go about who advances would be to focus on activity and engagement with the team, regardless of placement. So with that we bid thanks and farewell to
Solaris Knight, TwilightZone, and Imagineer Brandon

Thanks again for all the contributions. The teams will slightly reshuffle for the semi-finals, and those will be coming up next along with the Stanza XIV epilogue, Stanza XV comic, and Stanza XV prompt!

Outbound

Original Poster
Stanza XIV Epilogue
Meanwhile, the Timekeeper, still reeling from seeing another version of himself, was searching for the origin of the Celestial...

WjVIRqK.jpg

80bhyqq.jpg

Meanwhile in the Celestial, Mickey found Walt Disney and they began to reminisce about where it all began.

1618155034414.png

"Mickey?" a voice cried off in the distance.

"Yen Sid!" Mickey exclaimed

"Mickey I've been hard on you over the years...too hard..." *Yensid began to remember how strict he was with his Apprentice*

11.png

"We're going to need all the help we can get. We have to assemble a team of heroes to defeat Maleficent. She's too powerful, so let's do this together"

"Sounds great, Master! Where do we look first?"

"Walking around the Celestial, I discovered we can peak into the SAU, we just can't travel through it without the Sorcerer's Hat, so for now, we'll have to send messages from somewhere beyond"

"I think I have someone who can help with that" Walt Disney stated

OyhgJ0J.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom