The Sorcerer's Apprentice Season 6: ODYSSEY

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes

pi-reviews-png.442441

wuq30x9.png

@JokersWild asked us earlier if they could post their own personal project for this stanza just for fun, and we thought that was a really fun idea! It was interesting seeing a solo project in the mix!

Presentation
First thing I gotta say (And this is good advice for everyone), if your project is a forum post, there is a simple thing you can do that will make it look nicer 9 times out of 10.

View attachment 444953

Align the text to the center and it just looks nicer and flows better for reading.

But that's just a little things. Other than that, the presentation was simple, but great. Nicely organized. Clear to read/understand. Perfect amount of detail for a solo project. A couple of extra reference photos (even just stuff off of Google Images) would have helped. But that's not a big deal for the scale of this project.

Intro
The Disney Pleasure has such a great concept! A ship themed as a steamboat and dedicated to the good old south and classic Americana that is so central to Walt's passions is a brilliant and unique idea! I really adore this theme!

Grand Promenade
You have an amazing sense for describing an environment. There are no pictures and yet I feel like I can see this clearly! Nothing too special in the area, but very solid. And incredibly well described.

Tiana's Place
Again, you have a real talent for describing environments and making them feel real! This is a great choice for the main dining hall! And you do a great job putting a few simple twists on it to make it more exciting rather than just simply recreating the setting from the movie.

Crescent City Saloon
So, a saloon is more of a Western thing than a Southern thing. More Frontierland rather than NOS or Critter Country. But it still fits the rustic theme and feel well enough that it will work well the same way Country Bears fits into WDW Frontierland. It's a slant rhyme kind of a fit, but it works. It would work well as a great blend of entertainment, lounge, and dining. A perfect multi-use facility for a Cruise Ship!

Mark twain Library
Again, such a beautifully described environment!!! I'm always a sucker for libraries, so I love this addition

ETC
The Clemons Lounge is a great secondary dining location. People like pools on cruise ships. Just having a small pool seems like a bad choice. But it fits the quaint theme and tone. Rocking chairs are a nice touch to mention. They help build the atmosphere and fit the southern vibe well. I've never been one for Resort projects, so I appreciate how simple and clear your room descriptions are. Clever and well done, but simple. The entertainment is really great!

Overall, the ship is great! But maybe just sliiiiigghhttllyy too small scale and quaint to be practical. But a really good, simple project. Well done!​

JokersWild

pi-reviews-png.442441

wuq30x9.png

@JokersWild asked us earlier if they could post their own personal project for this stanza just for fun, and we thought that was a really fun idea! It was interesting seeing a solo project in the mix!

Presentation
First thing I gotta say (And this is good advice for everyone), if your project is a forum post, there is a simple thing you can do that will make it look nicer 9 times out of 10.

View attachment 444953

Align the text to the center and it just looks nicer and flows better for reading.

But that's just a little things. Other than that, the presentation was simple, but great. Nicely organized. Clear to read/understand. Perfect amount of detail for a solo project. A couple of extra reference photos (even just stuff off of Google Images) would have helped. But that's not a big deal for the scale of this project.

Intro
The Disney Pleasure has such a great concept! A ship themed as a steamboat and dedicated to the good old south and classic Americana that is so central to Walt's passions is a brilliant and unique idea! I really adore this theme!

Grand Promenade
You have an amazing sense for describing an environment. There are no pictures and yet I feel like I can see this clearly! Nothing too special in the area, but very solid. And incredibly well described.

Tiana's Place
Again, you have a real talent for describing environments and making them feel real! This is a great choice for the main dining hall! And you do a great job putting a few simple twists on it to make it more exciting rather than just simply recreating the setting from the movie.

Crescent City Saloon
So, a saloon is more of a Western thing than a Southern thing. More Frontierland rather than NOS or Critter Country. But it still fits the rustic theme and feel well enough that it will work well the same way Country Bears fits into WDW Frontierland. It's a slant rhyme kind of a fit, but it works. It would work well as a great blend of entertainment, lounge, and dining. A perfect multi-use facility for a Cruise Ship!

Mark twain Library
Again, such a beautifully described environment!!! I'm always a sucker for libraries, so I love this addition

ETC
The Clemons Lounge is a great secondary dining location. People like pools on cruise ships. Just having a small pool seems like a bad choice. But it fits the quaint theme and tone. Rocking chairs are a nice touch to mention. They help build the atmosphere and fit the southern vibe well. I've never been one for Resort projects, so I appreciate how simple and clear your room descriptions are. Clever and well done, but simple. The entertainment is really great!

Overall, the ship is great! But maybe just sliiiiigghhttllyy too small scale and quaint to be practical. But a really good, simple project. Well done!​
Thanks for the kind words. I actually based the deck plan off of an operating steamboat, haha. Some of the scale may seem off because of how small a steamboat actually is. Definitely not fully happy with the completed project, but I’m still glad that I finished it, and I’m glad that you enjoyed it!

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
pi-reviews-png.442441

Team Tomorrow Logo.png

Let me start by saying, as always, amazing visuals by @D Hindley! The Ducktales tower was a new high point for your art just one week ago, and you have already topped it! I adore this presentation too. The recreation of the Cruise Line Site as a Slides was a simple, yet super clever idea. It looks fantastic! Gonna also give a shoutout to @Disneypugs. for being a great team player and a super hard worker this round. They wrote a ton of this project and kept coming back asking if there was anything else they could help write and volunteering for more.

The S.E.A. theme is great! It is something that would really appeal to Disney super fans and has a ton of oppurtunities for cool things to do. My only concern is the broad appeal of it. How many people in the general populace really knows about S.E.A.? Cruises are already a niche thing. With their prices, Disney cruises are even more niche. Is this theme too limiting for what is already a very niche market? It all depends on execution. Lets take a look at the actual project.
  • Disney Adventure. Not a bad name :p
  • The introduction is great! I love tying in Mary Oceaneer into the backstory here. It's subtle, yet a good Easter Egg. You acknowledge in the intro that you have already thought of the potentially limiting audience for the theme. Your mission statement promising to keep things general enough to appeal to mass audiences with an "adventure" theme is smart. You guys are ahead of the game there.​
  • The design of the ship being something that has evolved over the eras is such a fun and interesting concept! It fits story wise and would be such an interesting, striking visual to see. I love little touches like the mention of the fake smokestacks emitting steam.​
  • I'm a little concerned that this ship design is not, for lack of a better term, classy enough. Cruises are expensive. They have to be fancy schmancy. Is this exterior too over the top to work for that? It's very much right on the line there. It's something I would love, but I am not sure if the target audience would.​
  • The Grand Entry Lobby is beautiful. It immeadietly immerses you into the grand, over the top, and exciting world of S.E.A.! From the globe, to the fossil, to the walk around characters, I love it! Already doing a lot to calm my fears over the theme being refined enough while still feeling fun and crazy for kids/families​
  • I like the idea of different decks having different international themes for the rooms based around the places S.E.A. members would be finding artifacts from. This is again inching slightly closer to the "Maybe too cheesey for a cruise audience" type of theming. But it doesn't quite cross the line.​
  • Little visual details like the fake "See Prices" link on this slide really help sell it.​
  • This presentation is also super well organized. The intro slide to the Entertainment section really made me appreciate how clear this is to read.​
  • I'm a sucker for giant puppets, so I'm already sold for 20,000 Leagues​
  • Enchantment sounds amazing!!! My only complaint is that I want slightly more detail. Your level of detail for much of this project is perfect, but this felt slightly light. Is this a broadway style show? Is this one of those shows where the plot is a framing device for a variety of types of acts and/or Disney characters? Is Albert a puppet or a costume or a live monkey? What is here s amazing! I just want like 1-2 more sentences.​
  • Peter Pan as a stage musical bbased on the Disney version would be amazing as well.​
  • Overall, I love these stage shows! You did a great job tying them either directly or thematically to S.E.A. while also making the different shows feel unique.​
  • I love puppets. I love Figment. This is a win-win for me! It would be a great kid focused entertainment option for the ship​
  • I love the seasonal additions! It's one of those small additions that really help round out a project making the ship feel very full and real. I love it!​
  • Another great transition slide into Dining that helps sell the presentation.​
  • One of the first things I said after this round started in the Judges PM was "I would bet actual money that all three teams will have either a new version of the Adventurer's Club or a spiritual successor on their ship." It is a place that just fits so well with a cruise setting (especially a heavily themed one). It's an obvious and perhaps cliched choice. But that's because it is a perfect choice. You guy's copy very little from the real world. So, copying the Adventurer's Club works. Plus, you guys change it up a bit by making it a restaurant more than a bar.​
  • Lost Temple Table sounds so interesting and unique! I wouldn't have minded a little bit about how the temple is one the ship instead of in the jungle or whatever. A very brief handwave story excuse would have been nice. But I love the aesthetics for it. Great use of reference photo btw​
  • The PArty Lounge is interesting to me because it kinda feels like a spiritual successor to the original Adventurer's Club. But you already have a new take on the Adventurer's Club as a restaurant. By all means, the Party Loung should feel redundant. But it feels unique in a way I can't describe. OVerall, it would be a really fun bar to hang out in! But maybe a bit too similar to the Adventurer's Club​
  • Zephyrs is such a simple idea. But simple does not mean bad. In this case, it means: perfect. This is such a great concept and described so elegantly that it feels so real. A perfect balance between heavily themed fun and fancy schmancy that it should please al all audiences.​
  • Trader Sam's. Classic. A great fresh take on it.​
  • Chandler Lounge and Portofino help round out the dining.​
  • Alright, a lot of dining. So much dining.​
  • This team did a really smart thing of taking the layout of an existing ship and just kind of going deck by deck, piece by piece, replacing the real features with unique, S.E.A. themed ones. That was super smart and did a lot for the realism of this project.​
  • BUT 16 restaurants start to blend together when reading through them.​
  • You could've only fully described 2-3 of these and then gone basically bullet point style for the rest and it would have been fine.​
  • That being said, while it is a LOT to read and kind of slows down the project, each one is really well done!​
  • I love the ties to SAU S.E.A. characters from Novus Harbor! Great use of this competition's unique reality.​
  • Its a nice touch having "Coffee Factory featuring Starbucks" rather than just a Starbucks. Another potential nitpick you smartly discussed earlier. How to make a Starbucks not feel out of place. This is the same tactic taken in the actual parks.​
  • Both in terms of what they offer and the themes. You all managed to do a great job making all the dining feel very unique and different while still feeling like they fit in a cohesive environment.​
  • On to Attractions!
  • The submarine simulator sounds like the perfect kind of attraction for a cruise. Very Disney Quest feeling which would be great for this setting to add some more kid/family focused fun​
  • A carousel that double as an observation deck type ride and a Museum of the Weird reference! Love it!​
  • S.E.A. Combat training is maaayyybbeee a bit too dangerous for Disney to realistically do. But it is just such a unique and fun sounding idea that I can't really complain. I love it!​
  • Junior Adventurer's Club sounds like a lot of fun! Great idea for a kid's scavenger hunt with little prizes. It great!​
  • Escape Room! Such a great idea for a cruise activity! And a really great theme for one! Feels like a very Indiana Jones type experience, but free from established IP. Same question as the Lost Temple Table though. Why is there a hidden temple in the middle of a cruise ship? But I'll accept that thematic oversight since it serves the greater purpose of a grand experience.​
  • Mini-Golf! Giving this a setting like someone's lab or a museum to help place it in the environment of the ship would've been nice. But that's a minor nitpick. This sounds like an amazing mini-golf course through fun props and set pieces. Plus, as an engineer, I love Archimedes' Screws! You're speaking my language!​
  • Albert's Splash Trove sounds like a really great pool/water play area. Another scaveneger hunt here might be redundant. But personally I think games like that really fit the theme of adventure and help round out the experience.​
  • The water coaster, Discovery Pool, and Cabanas are all really great additions. Things that would be really fun for guests to splash around or relax!​
  • Its a sign that I'm becoming an old man that Onsen Oasis might be the most appealing part of this project to me. Is the Japanese theming a bit too big of a departure in theme from the rest of the ship? Perhaps. It feels out of place. But so relaxing and pleasant that I don't mind too much.​
  • The maps are incredible! I worry the international themes of the decks might be slightly too clashing depending on execution, but overall I like the idea.​
Wrapping it all up... I loved this! You did so much in this project and it was all so good! I have some concerns that the ship might not cater enough to the usual cruise audience. Or that some elements might not blend in as well with the rest of the ship. But for the most part a great job. Well done!​

Voxel

President of Progress City
Team Tomorrow.. Sadly I can not open Google Doc's at work so I will have to wait to review your presentation because I do have some concerns about the thematic experience.

@JokersWild *Slow Clap*. This is the area I thought people should attack when I read this project.. River cruise are becoming big in Europe and I think their is an opertunity to attack them in the states.. I like the idea of a smaller Disney Americana style ship, it creates demand, you can call for a more premium price for a more premium experience. There is an intimacy about it that some people want with a vacation. I like this because it can also be sold as a more "adult" disney experience similar to how half the Disney Cruise already it. I would have liked to seen European River cruises but this is a great starting off for Disney.

spacemt354

Chili's
Space's Guest Reviews for Stanza II

x1Y47Jw.png

Overall, I think the teamwork was a big step up from the foundation of Stanza I - while some folks on the team were busy, the ones who were present truly came together to bond and build a core that propelled this project forward. Big props in particular to @Disneypugs. who really grew this round and hopefully will for future rounds as well!

To the ship, I think the S.E.A. theme is admirable and love the custom artwork design of the ship! I also really appreciate the attention to detail about trying to make this look like the Disney Cruise line site - great stuff. Back to S.E.A. I also enjoyed how you focused on nautically themed characters like Mary Oceaneer.

For this I would like to review Deck by Deck but the organization of the slides after the introduction could have probably been improved a bit. I think it would have been better to intertwine the deck images that are at the end into the proposal, you could have gone from bottom to top or vice versa and it make a bit more cohesive sense in my mind. That being said, I really like the wide assortment of bars and dining options all themed to S.E.A. characters as well. It embraces the theme you set up and runs with it, which is a huge step up from the advice given for Stanza I by some of the reviews, so major props to that. And as much as we were joking in the PM about the inclusion of Starbucks/The Coffee Factory, you need a coffee shop somewhere on the ship and hey sometimes you just gotta be realistic.

In the end - I think this project was again a big step up from an impressive first project, and I can't wait to see the bonds built on this team even further in future rounds when everyone is at full strength!

1580266887858-png.444936

Similar to the previous review, I am truly happy to see the teamwork evolve over the course of the first two Stanzas and get better with both Tomorrow and now Yesterday. Big shout-out to @Tux as project manager for the first time. She was the glue that held this project together, always asking for tips and feedback, always trying to get people involved, and doing a ton of concepts by herself as well. In addition @NateD1226 has also become a true leader as well (thanks for posting with the team logo!) and also for continuing to design the presentation and evolve your artwork skills. And that doesn't even mention the contributions from the M and the T of TMNT (mickeyfan and Tiki) for their continued valiant efforts as well. Keep it up!

As to the project - while the Tomorrow Adventure focused on S.E.A., this goes a different route and works just as effectively. To kick off I really enjoy the musical as well as some of the small scale attractions, in particular the Neverland Pool - a wonderful callback to Disneyland and inclusion in this more Disney-fied ship. The shops were very well themed also, the only thing I think carried over to me from Stanza I was that while there definitely are more pictures in this presentation - I still think with a site, since you can have unlimited, that you spend a bit more time next round either designing more custom art, or if time is of the essence, just trying to find more reference photos to go along with the text. That said - Nate and Tiki both had great concept art in this one which I appreciated seeing! I also like the attention to detail on the variety of rooms available on the ship, and Tux with the great dining menus as well.

Team Yesterday learned from Yesterday in this round - and worked together to build something great - Kudos and keep up the great work!

team-fantasy-jpg.444956

To start, a valiant effort by @Disney Dad 3000 to post the project and to continue evolving the presentation style with the funny little nods in the opening image. That's the kind of spirit the game was built on so I appreciate it continuing! Now to the project, it's evident that the real world understandably has bogged the team down a bit, not to the fault of anyone, but it does create a void where it can be tough to climb out of in a week. But I think those dilemmas will be solved for you by the start of next Stanza!

To the Adventure - I think you were on to something special here. While much akin to the S.E.A. theme of Team Tomorrow, you were starting to take it in a unique way which a much more thorough backstory and the inclusion of Moana as well as other sea-associated characters. So that was really fun to read. The other stand out I think that might not get enough credit was @orlando678- as the project manager for the first time. While work impacted the end, I'm still continued to be impressed by the amount of effort you put into this and it makes me happy to see you so involved in imagineering teams again. Lastly, the custom logos were really terrific throughout the presentation. In regards to the content, while I don't have problem with the length, it's just a bit dry to read, and that mostly comes from me trying to picture in my head a large paragraph when a picture or two could have been posted with the paragraph so the reader can get a scope of the project. That being said all of the content flowed together very well - the dining, shops, activities, all centered around your theme. So in the end, another display of your talents this Stanza, so my advice would be take your talents into the next round and just keep moving forward!

Thanks and kudos to all teams for contributing to another fantastic imagineering round!

spacemt354

Chili's
@JokersWild - The Disney Pleasure

This is a very unique turn and I really like it - a river cruise to complement the oceanliners in a smaller setting but packed with theme and vibrancy. I would have loved to see this concept play out on a larger scale in a team but your pitch is really something to be proud of. I'm glad you posted it and it compliments the other projects as well showing how a themed ship can take many different forms!

I think I would stay in the Mark Twain Library with a quick stop every once in a while in the Crescent City Saloon the entire trip

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
pi-reviews-png.442441

View attachment 444964

Before getting into Stanza 2, let me quickly visit the frozen wonders of Hoth for a belated review!

This is some incredible work and perhaps my favorite Star Wars project I've read. I'm gonna quickly knock out the few negatives just to get them out of the way and then go into the much larger number of great things!
  • The land is small. Which isn't a problem in and of itself. But in the concept of the Studio Park, a small land doesn't really help with the issue of the lands feeling disconnected and sparse and the park lacking an identity. It needs big, sweeping landscapes and grand lands. Our issues with the real world plan to do a mini-Galaxy's edge and a min-Frozen land instead of full lands was part of what inspired this stanza.​
  • The prevalence of Star Tours is really interesting and makes sense story wise. But the average park guest is, for lack of a better term, dumb. And having all this star Tours themed/related stuff in this park while the actual Star Tours ride is in the other park is just going to be confusing​
Now that we have that out of the way, let's get to the good stuff!
  • The Story!!!! This should have been the set-up for the sequel trilogy. Different factions battling for dominance in the aftermath of the Empire. Warring over important artifacts and locations. It's incredible! And feels so incredibly tonally perfect for Star Wars that I was reading it and almost forgot it wasn't actually from the films! I could ramble for a long time about how much I love the story. To save time, I'll just stop here and pledge 5 bucks to the kickstarter to put this on Disney+)​
  • An ice themed land in a Disney park is something I've wanted for a long time. This is such a great use of the setting! And (there's no map so I'm just assuming) it would transition incredibly well to the nearby Arrendelle while still feeling unique and distinct from it!​
  • The description of the land itself and the placemaking is really clever and cool! Including Luke's X-Wing is such a clever and cool concept!​
  • Star Traders and Blue Bantha are both safe bets, but very cool​
  • The Gold Lounge with the Canto Blight inspiration and the DJ droid was a clever idea! I don't think it was used well in the movie, but I liked the setting and visuals of canto Blight. The story of it being a Star Tours Lounge is really neat too! My only concern is that it would be too "polished" in the middle of the very "worn" land. Might feel out of place. Sort of how Canto Blight felt out of place in Last Jedi.​
  • This might feel like a bit of a step back from Rise of the Resistance, but bigger isn't always better. This was such a great ride through and story! It had excellent pacing, interesting set pieces, just the right amount of story happening to keep things interesting but not fall into the Escape from Gringrotts trap of being 90 percent exposition. It's fully unique while still feeling perfectly at home in the Star Wars universe. What can I say except I loved it!​
Overall, while you might have lost the stanza, there were great parts tot he project and this was a definite stand out! Well done!

Now that we're done with Hoth, let's review the new project by TMNT!

This website and the project has such a pleasing, relaxing feeling color palette. I love the visuals of this presentation. And the art of the ship is so simple yet so beautiful and charming!

Hang on. Peter Pan stuff. Different country mythology themes for different decks. Disney Adventure. This seems familiar...

1580315028372.png

It was remarkable with how different your two teams projects were at first and how slowly more and more similar details were added that made them become more and more similar lol.

Luckily, there's a lot of unique stuff here too.
  • The Around the World theme was one that worried me at first. I wasn't sure how this wouldn't feel cluttered and how it could possibly feel coherent. BUT the focus on mythology really ties it all together thematically and the Small World framing device ties it together visually. You took a concept I was skeptical about and made it work perfectly!​
  • The recapping the brainstorming was an interesting concept. I have mixed feelings. On one hand, I always love behind the scenes type stuff. On the other hand, it gives a lot of info that has little to do with the actual project. It might have been best to either cut down the BTS section or cut it out entirely. But I do find it interesting.​
  • Again, I love the drawing and the description of the exterior​
  • Great collection of themes for the decks. It's clear this was very thoroughly thought out.​
  • Minor nitpick on the website organization: Divide the shows from the other activities. If you had done that, each section of the site would have been roughly equal length.​
  • Sleeping Beauty and Musical World are both great concepts for shows! The presentation leaves a bit to be desired. The formatting on the site could make things more clear and a picture (even just a reference photo) would've been nice. It is clear how incredibly well thought out these shows are and they sound great! Seeing how well thought out these shows are, I assume it is no coincidence that Sleeping Beauty (A movie based around Mary Blair art) was chosen for the vaguely Small World themed ship! Very clever​
  • Disney Journey is a triumph! It is so well written and well thought out! Very clever. Good storytelling. The "Original character is used as a framing device for a series of Disney songs" is a tried and true stage show concept for cruise ships and theme parks. Yet you really elevate this above the rest. Charlie is a great original character with an interesting character arc. Their journey is clear. The Disney characters chosen add to it in meaningful ways instead of just feeling like filler.​
  • Some minor nitpicks, there could have been some pictures included. Something to help break up the wall of text. But it isn't too bad since you use an outline format which helps it not feel like a wall of text.​
  • My other issue isn't really with this show, but with Musical World. Both these shows fill a similar role as the "Disney Greatest Hits" Even sharing a couple of movies in common. Musical World probably could have been replaced with a different concept for a show. It isn't bad, it is just similar to Disney Journey and so overshadowed by it.​
  • Gold Lounge, Up Club, and Neverland Club are all great additions that describe the right amount of themeing and features for their respective age groups. Another minor nitpick: You go from Adults to kids to teens. It bothers my (not actual) OCD to see it not go in either ascending or descending order of age. Great use of pictures though!​
  • An ice rink with projections sounds absolutely beautiful!!!!​
  • I love all the flat rides! (The Tanooki joke was nice too, made me laugh hahaha). Maybe one or two too many for realism sake. But these feel like they could add a lot of value and fun to a cruise. Flat rides are often something people struggle to get right in armchair imagineering. It is impressive to see 4 of them pulled off so well! The wave rider and zipline are also amazing touches. A ton of great entertainment options available here!​
  • The Neverland Pool sounds stunning. I think Tiki is establishing his MO for this season. Take one small part of the project and knock it out of the park! The hand drawn art (Which was a team effort) if great and adds a lot to it! Digital art is great, but sometimes a pen and paper is all that is needed. The "flying" pirate ship could easily become an iconic visual! And I love all the different set pieces and types of water features. Its great! I might not have much to say about every detail, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate all the details. This is an incredible pool area.​
  • I feel it is maybe a bit disconnected from the international/myth theme? Visually it ties great into the Mary Blair art. And Peter Pan is a famous piece of English literature. Plus, Peter Pan ties a bunch of fairy tale tropes together. So, it works. But just barely fits the theme. Its good enough that I don't mind that much though.​
  • I adore the themes of the five shops (Dragon's Hoard is my favorite!). What is perhaps more impressive is that you are able to make each shop be very immersive only selling merchandise that fits the store's theme while still having stores focused on selling all the stuff needed on a cruise ship. Nothing feels missed or ignored, yet you manage to do that while staying fully themed. One generic shop on one of the Small World Themed areas might have helped though. An "Emporium" type store. But you cover all your bases even without one.​
  • The room descriptions are really great and thorough! I love the different themes for the different room types and how clearly well thought out this is. I also appreciate that the themeing is kept subtle in the rooms. Immersion is great, but sometimes a brief rest from the more over the top aspects of Disney is nice. This helps the rooms serve as a break from the sensory overload while still feeling fully themed. Very well done in an area that usually doesn't get much focus even in resort/cruise prompts.​
  • The room descriptions are really great and thorough! I love the different themes for the different room types and how clearly well thought out this is. I also appreciate that the themeing is kept subtle in the rooms. Immersion is great, but sometimes a brief rest from the more over the top aspects of Disney is nice. This helps the rooms serve as a break from the sensory overload while still feeling fully themed. Very well done in an area that usually doesn't get much focus even in resort/cruise prompts.​
  • Do you see the problem with the rooms now? Copy and pasting. Never have the same paragraph three times in a row. Just say something a long the lines of "All three Veranda style rooms have this theme. The Standard has this layout, the deluxe has this layout, etc." Something like that.​
  • I feel like I should clarify, that is just a nitpick. A really small issue. But when the projects are as good as the one's this stanza, nitpicks might just be the deciding factor. You should be incredibly proud of what you've created here. Whatever project wins it will be an extremely close race!​
  • Small note: "Less festive versions of Christmas lights" are called twinkle lights. I won't fault you for not knowing that though. I only know because I dated a girl who was obsessed with them lol​
  • Much like the shops, this is a great selection of restaurants! a wide variety of places that all have differing themes and compliment each other nicely! I love me a good Korma, so I already have a favorite place to dine haha. This is the perfect amount of detail for a project like this. A simple description, a reference photo to help set the tone, and a couple of key menu items. Perfect!​
  • Another nitpick type things, Blair's Bistro being the "General Food" dining location should have been listed first. It's the Main Street of restaurants, it should come first.​
  • The site also has one or two small issues with formatting. Stuff like "Mnguni’s Maturing Market" not having its title bold and bigger like the other restaurant titles. Again, really small stuff that usually wouldn't matter. But thsi stanza has such a high quality, that these tiny things are all I really have to point out beyond just saying "It neat" over and over hahaha​

Overall, a great concept, a great theme, and great execution! Some small nitpicks and formatting issues hold it back slightly, but the writing and visuals truly stand out! Just a little bit more polish is needed. Well done!

mickeyfan5534

My other issue isn't really with this show, but with Musical World. Both these shows fill a similar role as the "Disney Greatest Hits" Even sharing a couple of movies in common. Musical World probably could have been replaced with a different concept for a show. It isn't bad, it is just similar to Disney Journey and so overshadowed by it.
Musical World was sort of meant to be a filler show. The Golden Mickeys/Villains Tonight to the Disney Dreams/Believe that acts more as a revue than the emotional and plot heavy story show. Were there some extra time I probably would have gone further into what sets them apart (or totally rewritten Musical World in general)

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes

pi-reviews-png.442441

Team Fantasy Logo.jpg

This team has some serious talent on it. Perhaps not the time available to fully use that talent, but you guys got about as much done at at the same rate as the other teams with only like a 4th of the activity and messages. It's impressive to watch! Bit props to DDad for cranking out all the final details and getting this posted exactly when it was due! (Well, a minute late, but we can forgive that lol). We were legitimately worried for a bit that the project wouldn't have been completed or submitted last night for a bit.

The presentation is great in a really subtle way. It uses some really unique and clever tactics to create a multimedia project.

I'm weird. When I see a "Click Here" link in a project, even if it is obviously fake, I click it! I did it in Tomorrow's project too! I do the same thing with fake buttons in queue lines. I usually am dissappointed by the links/buttons being fake. Because obviously its a picture and not a website. BUT you did something really clever. You made the picture of the fake website in the intro post a link. The whole picture. For those who didn't know, you can make pictures links in a forum post here. So, when i clicked the link to read more, it actually took me to the project! I went to click the other picture in the forum post with the fake video on it, and it took me to an actual video!!! Such a clever way to do the intro post! Perhaps a little too clever. I could see things being easily missed here sadly. But that's a risk I'm willing to take for something so cool and unique.
  • Disney Adventure. I love the name. Very unique :p
  • I'm always a sucker for fun little Easter Eggs and jokes in fake websites. You didn't disappoint here. Just by looking at the intro post you guys are looking great!​
  • The video was also really cool!​
  • Then I click the link, and its a loosely formatted Google Doc. The paragraphs aren't even indented or center aligned. This is where the lack of availability on the team came into play. There's a lot of polish missing. What is here is amazing, but it just wasn't quite finished as a project. You got 95 percent there which is incredibly impressive considering the activity level. But just didn't quite have time to pull it all together in the end despite DDad's best effort.​
  • I love the backstory here! It fits so smoothly and neatly into the pre-existing Jungle Cruise mythology. The writing really captures the fun and charm of the Jungle Cruise too.​
  • I like the great descriptions for the visuals of the boat. You really paint a picture of the ship.​
  • The jump from immersive Jungle Cruise themeing and talks of imperialism in a really well thought out way to "Also Moana is there" seems very sudden. Even just something simple like a paragraph break to transition might have helped. Or maybe a "host character" isn't even needed when the whole ship has a theme already.​
  • That being said, Moana is a good choice. She's a perfect choice for the Adventureland setting!​
  • I adore the Moana stage show and its description! It perfectly communicates what makes the stage show special. I also like how this feels like a Disney blog post about it. Much of the project does! Which was a smart choice for the presentation​
  • Terk's Crashing the Deck seems like a really fun and intereactive character dining experience. But it feels like it might be a bit much for a food place.​
  • Pirate Takeover Night is a great choice for a special event. Though I'm noticing that much of the theme is more "generically Adventureland" rather than Jungle cruise in practice. But I like it. Even if it might be a bit confused.​
  • Oceaneer Lab is a clever addition, even if its just a clone from real life its a smart pick.​
  • You'll be in my Heart Nursery sounds lovely and sweet. Tropical Hideaway sounds really fun. And the other experiences scattered around sound good too. All very solid.​
  • I love the addition of a Botanical Garden! That seems so obvious in retrospect, but I love it! And added touches like some fantasy fake plants being mixed in and an original S.E.A. character hosting it are just brilliant! This might be a small thing, but I think the gardens might be my favorite part of the project.​
  • The Safari Gallery is a great concept for an arcade/play zone. Virtual Jungle Cruise being resurrected here is really cool and clever too! I miss Disney Quest!!!​
  • I'm always very much in favor of scavenger hunts! I wouldn't have minded something slightly more Jungle Cruise focused rather than S.E.A. and pirates. But it still fits!​
  • The Indiana Jones Mini Golf would be absolutely amazing! I'd love to play on this course! It sounds so cool!​
  • The Disney Adventure Vaults are a great choice! I would have liked if you chose the theme for it rather than just giving a list of possible themes.​
  • Sea Breeze Bar, Tropical Seranade, and Trader Sam's were all good additions!​
  • Adventurer's Club! I mentioned in Tomorrow's review that I was betting money all three teams would have the Adventurer's Club in their ships haha. 2 out of 3 ain't bad! But there's a reason. It's a smart choice for a Cruise Ship!​
  • Skipper Canteen is also a smart pick for a clone to add in here.​
  • All the dining options are really good choices! Even the clones tend to have some kind of Adventureland twist! Who hasn't watched Lion King and wanted to taste those giant bugs they were eating!​
  • These custom logos are great touches! Logos are one thing that are relatively easy to make, but so often forgotten. Not only did you make several, but they all look good!​
  • Maui's Sprayground would be a lot of fun! So would Aquaventure! Not a lot to say about them, but they're clever ideas for fun elements​
  • I love the relaxing sounding adult pools too. Very charming and quaint.​
Overall, there's a lot I love about this project! The theme is really smart and fun! The only really issues is a lack of polish and a slight lack of consistency in the theme. I remember an idea that was thrown out to have each deck represent a different region the jungle cruise travels to. I wish you had gone with that because then all three teams would have officially had the exact same project lol. But joking aside, it also would have helped organize things better. Instead of Africa, South America, and Asia all blended together. But I still love the project. A lack of talent is in no way the issue here, just a lack of time. I look forward to seeing what gets done in the future!​

Evilgidgit

Enchantment sounds amazing!!! My only complaint is that I want slightly more detail. Your level of detail for much of this project is perfect, but this felt slightly light. Is this a broadway style show? Is this one of those shows where the plot is a framing device for a variety of types of acts and/or Disney characters? Is Albert a puppet or a costume or a live monkey? What is here s amazing! I just want like 1-2 more sentences.

For @Pi on my Cake, I decided to expand a little more on Enchantment, the big show stopper on Team Tomorrow's Disney Adventure (how in the world did all three teams have the same name!?). It is a Broadway-style musical that does indeed use the plot as a framing device, though the Disney characters would serve to help the main character through the story to open her eyes to a larger world of possibilities, and to understand and appreciate her family.

Cornelia Mystic is Lord Henry Mystic's granddaughter, but while studious and smart, is rather short-sighted and has little understanding or interest in her grandpa's collection. She is tasked to clean his antique room whilst he is out, but mischeivous monkey Alfred (who would be a puppet like Iago or Olaf) messes around with the music box said to be enchanted and be able to bring inanimated objects to life. The music box's melody awakens the stories and souls related to certain items in Lord Mystic's collection, taking Cornelia and Alfred on a magical, musical journey through several Disney realms, whilst Cornelia comes to understand and better love her grandpa's fascination with the world.

mickeyfan5534

For @Pi on my Cake, I decided to expand a little more on Enchantment, the big show stopper on Team Tomorrow's Disney Adventure (how in the world did all three teams have the same name!?). It is a Broadway-style musical that does indeed use the plot as a framing device, though the Disney characters would serve to help the main character through the story to open her eyes to a larger world of possibilities, and to understand and appreciate her family.

Cornelia Mystic is Lord Henry Mystic's granddaughter, but while studious and smart, is rather short-sighted and has little understanding or interest in her grandpa's collection. She is tasked to clean his antique room whilst he is out, but mischeivous monkey Alfred (who would be a puppet like Iago or Olaf) messes around with the music box said to be enchanted and be able to bring inanimated objects to life. The music box's melody awakens the stories and souls related to certain items in Lord Mystic's collection, taking Cornelia and Alfred on a magical, musical journey through several Disney realms, whilst Cornelia comes to understand and better love her grandpa's fascination with the world.
My lawyer will be in touch. :cautious:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom