The Sorcerer's Apprentice Season 5 - ENDGAME

Disney Dad 3000

STANZA XIII submission from Disney Dad. Going old school and using a forum post, but breaking it up into two for reading purposes so you guys don't totally hate me. Side note to the judges, I did partially violate the IP rule, not on the overall theme of the attraction, but within it. Once I had the idea I had to run with it.

IMAGINEERING WITH DAD
March 26, 2027

Bom dia Future Imagineers, DisneyDad here and thank you for dropping by as I share stories of my time with the Disney Company, and an occasional hint about what I’m up to now. At the moment, I’m relaxing to this tune and drinking a Caipirinha with one Tom Morris if that gives you any hint of where I’m at. That’s right, I’m back in Brazil and checking out one of our company’s grandest achievements in size and planning, Disneyland Brazil. (Strictly here on a pleasure visit and no truth to the rumors that I’m researching for an addition to a certain land that was added to a certain park a few years go).

Wow, this place brings back so many memories. It has actually been about 8 years since I was last here. What a trip that was! I know I’ve dropped tidbits here and there about my numerous workings on the Brazil park, but that last visit, that one was something else. For those of you who are aspiring Imagineers, probably a story worth telling.

It was the spring of ‘19 and I had just finished up most of the design and prep work with an outstanding group of people for Port Disney in Anaheim, when I got a call from Bob(Chapek that is). Turned out there was a project of immediate need for the planned park in Brazil, not to mention the construction timeline was being bumped up significantly. Originally intended to open in the mid 2020’s, that opening got switched to 2024 so as to not steal any thunder from Inventus, that was being slated for a 2025 opening.

Now mind you, at this time, I had been pretty busy. After doing some consulting work on Inventus and Port Disney, among a few other smaller projects over the previous year, I was slated to head to Shanghai in mid-May for a pretty large-scale project of its own (remind me to tell that great ride of a story later). After working on Port Disney, I was looking forward to a months long break before China, but I couldn’t pass up a chance though to get one last crack at Brazil.

It had been about a year since the former Brava division of WDI had wrapped up all the research and design work for Adventureland, the last piece of Disneyland Brazil needed for construction to begin. I had pirates and bats on the brain after working on Pirates of the Barbary Coast and Adventureland for all of those months. Much like my prince of a team in Anaheim, those Brava blokes often left me holding the tab, but some of those tales are for another day.

This trip though was all about Fantasyland. As I said, the design work had been pretty well complete in 2018, but with the bumped up construction schedule, and accounting for slow build time in Brazil, they were looking to get any last-minute changes fully laid out before work got too far along.

Here’s a little early Christmas present for you all (and before you ask, I was given permission to share). While this may look mostly familiar, you’ll notice some significant differences, as this is the original finalized plans for Disneyland Brazil once the Adventureland planning was complete.

ADDITIONAL INFO ON THE PARK

After my work in Fantasyland in 2019, @D Hindley, @kmbmw777 and a few others came back for additional last-minute updates to Tomorrowland and Frontierland that you know and love today, and to start long-range planning for a second park. @Voxel even came out of retirement for one last hurrah. My old WDI buddy @AceAstro was around too, but I don’t think he left the construction site of Muppets Land for a minute. He was going to make sure no detail was missed.

Fantasyland really had and has a tremendous design. With great transitions in and out and between sub-areas, as well as plenty of walking space I didn’t really see much of a need for changes. The thinking was though, management wanted to bring a touch of old-school Fantasyland into the park in the form of another lap-bar style, and light-hearted family dark ride. As the land stood, it had a fantastic lineup that included a coaster, an omnimover, a boat and sub ride, a suspended dark ride, a teacup spinner, a trackless dark ride and the wonderful Snow White and the Magic Mirror, the lone land, track based ride. I wasn’t about to remove any of these great attractions.

The issue I had, was the mandate to use an IP or idea that had not been done and make it fit. With open plots in Wonderland, the Frozen area and the Small World/Nemo sections, I just didn’t find an unused IP that would work without shoehorning an attraction and throw off the theming of those areas. Sticking Home on the Range and Elsa next to each other wasn’t going to work. Sounds silly saying that now after the Home on the Frozen Range crossover film did so well at the box office last year.

Having been in Anaheim all those recent months, I’d spent a decent amount of time enjoying the parks, especially Disneyland, and had Walt on the brain (more so than usual). Right before I left for Brazil, word made the rounds that Philharmagic was making its way into California Adventure. With a presence in most of the parks around the world, it was a fun film and music oriented Disney experience. This got me thinking.

I didn’t want to necessarily bring Philharmagic to Brazil, but what about a musically inspired idea? Something that was significantly old school, that Walt had worked on, and I could turn into a simple, yet enjoyable dark ride for Fantasyland? I’d recently been binge watching a bit of Silly Symphony shorts and the idea seemed too perfect. Two in particular, with a similar theme caught my eye; Mother Goose Melodies and it’s 1933 remake, Old King Cole.

I’ll be honest, I was happy with my idea at first, but fitting it into Brazil was going to be a challenge, and require a bit of rearranging. Needless to say, management was not initially crazy about my plans to relocate a few attractions with ground prep work mostly complete and foundation work in Frontierland , Toontown and Muppet Land well underway. Of the three sections of Fantasyland, Castle Courtyard, Storybook Forest and Wonderland, the forest section made the most sense. As these nursery rhymes from Mother Goose were distinctly English, the Storybook or English Forest would be a perfect fit, and while planning, an attraction in Frontierland caught my eye.

At the entrance to Storybook Forest from Frontierland sat Paul Bunyan’s Ox Roundup, based on the American folklore of the same name. As much as I hated to move Pooh’s Hunny Hunt, by using that space for the attraction we could create a Storybook Lane of sorts with a transition between the two lands going from Paul Bunyan to Mother Goose and keeping the wonderful Mickey & the Beanstalk Shop to cap off the lane.

With that, I’ll save a few more of those stories from Brazil for another day, but hopefully gives you all some interesting food for thought about all of the moving pieces that can go into creating and updating a theme park, even for one attraction. As an added bonus, I’ve got all of my original notes and ideas that were pitched to WDI, on April Fools of all days, and hope you enjoy.

Until next time Future Imagineers!
DisneyDad

Last edited:

Disney Dad 3000

Taking influences from Silly Symphony classics Old King Cole and Mother Goose Melodies and the celebrity angle of Mother Goose Goes Hollywood, this track based lap-bar style dark ride will take guests of all ages through many of the well-known Mother Goose nursery rhymes accompanied by a fantastic musical score. The score of the ride will take from those original films and be re-recorded using many of the same sound effects.

Premise
Old King Cole is throwing a party in Storybook Land for all manner of nursery rhyme and storybook characters. Using Mother Goose goes Hollywood as a starting point, these rhymes will be portrayed by using numerous Disney characters (in lieu of Hollywood stars) in a fun and whimsical way.

Attraction Vehicle and Stats
To help fully immerse guests into the stories, they will accompany Mother Goose herself in these goose inspired vehicle. Each will accommodate up to 4 guests (two front and back) and be guided throughout the attraction by a track running along the floor through each scene.

Estimated Ride Time: 3 minutes 15 seconds
Estimated Hourly Capacity: 900-1000

To fit the attraction, the Tea Cups were moved into the forested section near the Rabbit Hole Coaster, with Pooh’s Hunny Hunt and 100 Acre Goods then occupying all of that space. The new attraction and shop will occupy a similar but slightly altered footprint from the departed Pooh. Additional landscaping will be added in Wonderland and Storybook Forest around the ride buildings to further disguise and keep theme.

Fantasyland
36 - Belle's Castle
37 - Snow White and the Magic Mirror
38 - Cinderella's Carousel
39 - Cinderella's Chateau - WT/M&G
40 - Pooh's Hunny Hunt
41 - Dumbo The Flying Elephant
42 - Peter Pan's Flight
43 - Neverland Play-Area
44 - Through the Rabbit Hole
45 - Mad Tea Cups
46 - it's a small world
47 - Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage
48 - Frozen Mountain
49 - Olaf's Summer Chateau - QS/S/M&G
50 - Mad Hatter's Tea Party - QS
51 - Cheshire Delights - QS
52 - Hundred Acre Goods - S
53 - Mickey and the Beanstalk - S
54 - The Princess Royal Tea Table - TS
67 - Mother Goose’s Silly Symphony
68 - Rhyme & Dime

Attractions highlighted signify those that were relocated and/or added to Fantasyland

Attraction Layout

Queue
The queue itself will fairly simple in nature. Upon entry though, Disney fanatics will recognize some of the familiar tunes of Silly Symphony tunes. Halfway after entering the switchback queue, guests will come upon the Silly Symphony Play Area. Using the mold created by the Dumbo expansion at the Magic Kingdom as part of the New Fantasyland, guests and their children will have the option to enter and enjoy this play area until re-entering the queue.

Using similar tech as found in Image Works, children of all ages will be able to make musical works of art with their bodies in motion through various exhibits. Re-mastered Silly Symphony cartoons will play back to their musical achievements. With a few other playground style items, this area will be a nice diversion for guests. While there is also a play area near Peter Pan, this indoor space will provide a nice respite on a hot Brazilian day.

Ride Through
Having made their way out of the queue, guests will arrive to the load/unload hub. Essentially a scene in the attraction, once the exit point of the queue is reached, the room opens up into an expanse, filled with many story book style trees. Dotted throughout the forest are numerous hardcover replicas of many nursery rhymes and stories from Mother Goose.

Guests exiting their Mother Goose style vehicles will head down the forested path leading towards the Rhyme & Dime gift shop while those ready to begin their journey will take their place. Light string music plays in the background completing the ambiance. Once aboard, the ride begins moving towards the thick forested grove ahead, the trees parting at just the last minute

Scene 1 Storybook Land
Welcome to Storybook Land. The ride will move further into the forest and the music in the background shifts to a more upbeat, brass tune. Trumpets blare as if announcing your arrival. On either side, three sets of frogs in royal attire are seen marching along, trumpets in hand.

For Your Listening Pleasure

A long flowing scroll spreads through the trees with numerous nursery rhyme characters names evident and and invited to the castle for a party. Ahead lies a large-bound book; Old King Cole written across it in Olde English. As your goose approaches, the pages of the book open to allow you entry.

Scene 2 Old King Cole
The forest gives way to an idyllic castle and the throne room of one Old King Cole. The opening words to his nursery rhyme appear on the parchment as you enter and are accompanied by vocals in the background.

Old King Cole was a merry old soul
And a merry old soul was……….

The background vocals cut off as riders get their first glimpse of the king. Clad in kingly attire, definitely out of the norm for him, sits one Hades, king of the Underworld aimlessly directing his jovial minions around who are preparing for the party.

Merry am I, yada yada yada.
Work with my here guys, you know that goes over there
(pointing at his staff)

As listless and carefree as Hades is, party prep goes on all around him as simple animatronic figures and cut outs move about the room staging for the other nursery rhyme guests. Exiting the castle, the trumpeting music slows fades as another page leads to the next scene.

Scene 3 Hickory Dickory Dock
Vastly different from the previous scene, guests have now entered the inner workings of a life-size clock. In the background, the light tune Hickory Dickory Dock plays on. All around are gears, knobs, bolts and wire of all various sorts and sizes, twisting and turning in unison. The clock is counting down to the beginning of the party and eventually its close.

Amongst all the organized chaos of the clock hides one Gurgi, popping his head in and out of various spots inside the clock. As you enter further, the clock hand can be heard turning and finally gonging to signal one o’clock. Completing the scene, Gurgi is shown scampering his way out of the clock, high-tailing it for the party one would presume.

Scene 4 It’s Raining, It’s Pouring
Leaving the din of the clock leads to our next nursery rhyme and the gentle patter of a heavy rain. The ride enters a grand bedroom filled with all manner of decorative furnishings. A large window to the side leads to a terrace and evidence of the rain heard upon entry. The patter of the rain mixes with the rattle and shaking of the furniture for a full symphony of sounds.

The peaceful rain is then broken by the wall-shattering bellow of a hideous beast. All of the furniture can be seen slightly shaking, and as you make your way further into the bedroom, you find out why. Sprawled out on a double king sized bed, lies the Beast. He’s asleep as one can get, and snoring loud enough to wake the dead.

On his head sits the biggest knot once can imagine, rising and falling with each snore as he’s bumped his head during the night. He will be one cranky beast when he wakes up for the party, if he wakes up that is.

Scene 5 Little Bo Peep
The bedroom doors open into a beautiful, quiet countryside soundtracked by a light harp. The nursery rhyme Little Bo Peep is scrawled on the parchment as you enter. In the background can be hard the Baaa, Baaa of sheep and the whimsical tunes from a flute and clarinet, but there are no sheep in sight.

Oh no, I’ve lost my sheep
Where oh, where can these sheep be?
Who are we kidding?
Whose bright idea was it to make a dragon tend the sheep?
I’m a dragon people. Draaagggon.
When is this party at by the way?

Halfway into the dialogue, Mushu comes into view seated atop a rocky outcropping. Chin in hand and waving the other towards the countryside beyond him. There you spot the sheep, way too afraid to return to their tender.

Scene 6 There was an Old Woman

Making your way around the grazing hills of the sheep, you happen upon a large, old and worn shoe in a grove of trees. A flustered voice is heard as you come across one Mad Madam Mim waving her wand about wildly, her cottage turned into a less than ideal home for a witch.

There was an old witch who lived in a shoe,
She tried her magic to change it, but didn’t know
What to do.
She failed so many times, the strings turned into knots,
Once again, tricked by Merlin, she’s now covered in spots

Making your way around the shoe, you see Mim once more, as cranky and frustrated as ever. The appears even more gnarled and twisted than before, and of course, Mim is covered in spots, a victim of her own failed spells.

Scene 7 Hey Diddle Diddle
The pages of There was an Old Woman lead to a darkened, opened expanse of land lit brightly by the moon shining above. An odd pairing appears as you happen upon a cat and a dog having a moonlit picnic. As riders approach, a fiddle solo begins, courtesy of said cat.

Various utensils and serving ware can be seen marching away during the song. As if this odd scene wasn’t enough, colorful humpback whales are shown flying over the moon in the distance.

Scene 8 Rub a Dub Dub
The ambiance of the moonlit scene is suddenly broken after turning the page into our next rhyme. Ocean waves rise and fall all around you under a piercing sunlit sky. Ahead lies a bathtub of a all things, filled with three distinctive characters. A dancing guitar solo leads the background instrumentals.

Rub a dub dub, three
Birds in a tub
And who do you think were there?
The rooster, the parrot, the duck who’s
A sailor
And all of them shaking a feather.

The Three Caballeros, at their zany best, are partying it up on the ocean, in this oddest of vessels. Fish are seen popping in and out of the water to the music. Making your way through a few more waves, you leave the caballeros behind as Donald has fallen out and is bobbing in and out of the water as Jose and Panchito try to pull him out.

Scene 9 Old Mother Hubbard
As guests make their last stop to peek in on the assorted nursery rhyme guests of Old King Cole getting “ready”, they’ll happen upon the barebones structure of a home. There is little color, nary a bite to eat and it’s far from the upper crust fanciness of society in the village. The tense notes of base violins lead the background music.

Lady Tremaine, or Wicked Stepmother Hubbard, is seen scrounging about her belongings, looking for anything suitable to wear. No fairy godmother apparently making their way to her home tonight.

Scene 10 The Finale
With that, guests find themselves back at the castle and the hospitality of a somewhat jovial Hades/Old King Cole. All of the characters made it from their stories, some a little worse for ware, and are partying away in the castle. Movement fills permeates the scene as the characters make simple motions on their bases, all of the objects about magically move in time with the music. The score builds up to a crescendo as the clock can be heard striking midnight.

Time for everyone to return to their story.

Rhyme & Dime
After exiting Mother Goose’s Silly Symphony, guests make their way into the Rhyme & Dime. This eclectic looking store has all things nursery rhymes where you can purchase printings of the actual Mother Goose, or the Disneyfied version as well. Here you can also find newly minted Silly Symphony swag, from t-shirts, recordings and songbooks from all of those original shorts.

Last edited:

PerGron

After some technical difficulties, here is my presentation.
Before I submit, I just wanted to thank our hosts @D Hindley @kmbmw777 and @AceAstro for hosting such an amazing game, and no matter the results, I had so much fun participating this season and I hope to continue participating in any upcoming seasons. Thanks to the hosts and my fellow players for such a fun time, and I hope to continue working with y'all in the future.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Black Cauldron, to many, the black sheep of Disney animation, came out in 1985, after years of development trouble, from the film being considered too dark, to Jeffrey Katzenberg and Michael Eisner taking over Disney and Disney Animation and making edits and cuts to the film, to a poor reception of Disney’s films during the 70s and 80s. However, as time goes on, The Black Cauldron is creeping up in popularity as a cult classic due to its darker tone and gorgeous animation.

Based on the five-book series The Chronicles of Prydain, written in the 1960s by author Lloyd Alexander, The Black Cauldron is loosely based on the first two books: The Book of Three and The Black Cauldron. However, there are still three books untouched by Disney’s repertoire. In summer 2021, Disney’s Chronicles of Prydain: The Black Cauldron will release in theaters, a live-action remake of the 1985 animated film. In order to tie into the extremely anticipated film, Disney Parks & Resorts Chairman Joe Rhode and his team of Imagineers announced the newest Fantasyland Dark Ride: The Curse of the Cauldron.

1TxWd_ysukVo9Dt12H6539kjaYoTgH5wZCKRSadLfGy-aAoqzMDfsb6Mhr53rE_np2dV2cztIyvBWjNUk3m4YyuzEU-yd2VQIl5JJKtnX1ZMVPluX6-Cu2N_ZPTZzOD52ZNmUXAt

Situated in the former location of the Tomorrowland Indy Speedway, the Curse of the Cauldron makes use of a large expansion plot which will hold the ride situated in the Horned King’s Castle

3oSX0ZXuTReFKqY2lCyDWpbL0KivuIEwSp2Fk2w-VO0-_jn2b_PaHDICp2rMTN0r1xGVDaokw4MJ3_gvkYtnBYpr5pzR18Umf-ZI3vUX1TyeBqoiyhwWMBTnuSxXC3Ywf1gIbkW-

Our dark ride will be one of the most unique in all of every Fantasyland across the world as it combines two incredibly innovative ride systems into one. A trackless dark ride system along with a standard dark ride system.

Guests will enter their own cauldron, which seats up to five individuals in it, allowing for most families to ride in one cauldron. These cauldrons will be attached to a ride track to begin the attraction, winding slowly through the different show scenes, but as the storyline changes into a more epic story, the trackless elements will kick in, allowing for a completely unique dark ride more reminiscent of Dinosaur than Snow White’s Scary Adventures.

All of the animatronics in this attraction will be similar to the Beauty and the Beast animatronics teased for Tokyo Disneyland Resort, made with fluid movements to appear almost lifelike.

Curse of the Cauldron will host 16 individual show scenes, making for one of the longest Fantasyland dark rides ever made, but with a story like this one to tell, any less would feel criminal. In fact, thanks to head Imagineer of this project, PerGronStudio, Curse of the Cauldron has an elaborate story reminiscent of an 80’s basement game of Dungeons and Dragons, something that, along with the film and the book series, played an important role in writing the storyline for this attraction.

However, without final ado, we happily present to you: Curse of the Cauldron

Voxel

President of Progress City
That Main Street of Brazil's Disneyland is still one of my favorite concepts. The state of AWE is seeing the castle is unique but does cause some backup in the main entrance area. The concepts of hiding it with Main Street builds the anticipation until you spin around the corner and come face to face with my favorite @MonorailRed Castle.

mickeyfan5534

Guest Review 1 - @James G.
My friends, my son Anton and I are proud to present

THE SWORD IN THE STONE

https://sites.google.com/view/swordinthestone/home

You know, there's a one thing I've never noticed from the original project. Nouvelle Fantasyland, not Fantasyland Nouveau (French grammar for everyone's future reference, adjectives relating to Beauty, Age (such as Nouveau/Nouvelle), Goodness, and Size (BAGS) go before a noun, in that order, all other adjectives go after. Adjectives all have masculine and feminine forms. La fantaisie is a feminine noun). Some research would have helped, because The Sword in the Stone is actually titled "Merlin, l'enchanteur" in French. The restaurant name is way too long and could have been simple "Le Roi Arthur Salle de Ronde" or "Fête du Roi Arthur." Basically, I'm nitpicking here because I have so few negatives that I'm having trouble actually giving critiques. So onto the good.

A Sword in the Stone (or should that be Merlin, l'enchanteur ;) ) ride is a great idea. I don't think we've seen that enough. Which is a shame as I think the movie is a really wonderful film with a look unlike any other film. It's prime for a Fantasyland dark ride. I think you took the book report but added to it, with a heavy focus on the environments that makes it work even better. The story is tight, the ride is fun, the effects are realistic. All the kudos to you. I really appreciated the note about why you chose this, and it is clear the story means a lot to you. I'm glad you could extend this experience to Anton, fitting in with your own childhood memories of seeing this film with your father. The family that Imagineers together, stays together. Or something like that.
Merci beaucoup pour la projet. C'est un fort et joli experience avec nostalgie pour vous. Bravo et trés bien.

James G.

Guest Review 1 - @James G.

You know, there's a one thing I've never noticed from the original project. Nouvelle Fantasyland, not Fantasyland Nouveau (French grammar for everyone's future reference, adjectives relating to Beauty, Age (such as Nouveau/Nouvelle), Goodness, and Size (BAGS) go before a noun, in that order, all other adjectives go after. Adjectives all have masculine and feminine forms. La fantaisie is a feminine noun). Some research would have helped, because The Sword in the Stone is actually titled "Merlin, l'enchanteur" in French. The restaurant name is way too long and could have been simple "Le Roi Arthur Salle de Ronde" or "Fête du Roi Arthur." Basically, I'm nitpicking here because I have so few negatives that I'm having trouble actually giving critiques. So onto the good.

A Sword in the Stone (or should that be Merlin, l'enchanteur ;) ) ride is a great idea. I don't think we've seen that enough. Which is a shame as I think the movie is a really wonderful film with a look unlike any other film. It's prime for a Fantasyland dark ride. I think you took the book report but added to it, with a heavy focus on the environments that makes it work even better. The story is tight, the ride is fun, the effects are realistic. All the kudos to you. I really appreciated the note about why you chose this, and it is clear the story means a lot to you. I'm glad you could extend this experience to Anton, fitting in with your own childhood memories of seeing this film with your father. The family that Imagineers together, stays together. Or something like that.
Merci beaucoup pour la projet. C'est un fort et joli experience avec nostalgie pour vous. Bravo et trés bien.
I greatly appreciate your comments. First, and obviously, I don't speak French and relied completely on an on-line English -French translator. It does seem that the French aren't happy using five words to describe something when they can use ten! I based the "Fantasyland Nouveau" wording on the logo from the earlier SA creation. Sorry that I missed the "Merlin, l'enchanteur" name, but I didn't find that in any of my research (which everyone who has ever worked with me in this competition knows that I do- extensively). It does make sense, since Merlin is very much the dominant theme of the film, with the Sword in the Stone being a late-appearing footnote.

Thanks again for your compliments- they are very much appreciated. I admit that I was a bit hesitant to try to use French names for the attractions, but seeing as though everything posted about Disneyland Paris attractions uses the French name, it (or as close as I could get) seemed appropriate. I'm just glad I didn't chose one of the Asian Disney parks!

mickeyfan5534

I greatly appreciate your comments. First, and obviously, I don't speak French and relied completely on an on-line English -French translator. It does seem that the French aren't happy using five words to describe something when they can use ten! I based the "Fantasyland Nouveau" wording on the logo from the earlier SA creation. Sorry that I missed the "Merlin, l'enchanteur" name, but I didn't find that in any of my research (which everyone who has ever worked with me in this competition knows that I do- extensively). It does make sense, since Merlin is very much the dominant theme of the film, with the Sword in the Stone being a late-appearing footnote.

Thanks again for your compliments- they are very much appreciated. I admit that I was a bit hesitant to try to use French names for the attractions, but seeing as though everything posted about Disneyland Paris attractions uses the French name, it (or as close as I could get) seemed appropriate. I'm just glad I didn't chose one of the Asian Disney parks!
Fantasyland Nouveau is nothing on you. It's just something I never noticed till now. Neither is "Merlin, l'enchanteur" as a matter of fact. For future reference, IMbD is a really good resource for film names. I was really nitpicking here. As someone who fell in love with Disneyland Paris when he visited the park, this is an addition that would further add to an, admittedly (as in the infamous 84 page project I led on lost the round) already great addition to the park

James G.

Fantasyland Nouveau is nothing on you. It's just something I never noticed till now. Neither is "Merlin, l'enchanteur" as a matter of fact. For future reference, IMbD is a really good resource for film names. As someone who fell in love with Disneyland Paris when he visited the park, this is an addition that would further add to an, admittedly (as in the infamous 84 page project I led on lost the round) already great addition to the park
Believe me, I took it as constructive. I've always strived for accuracy, often to the point of obsession ( I've tell people I have CDO, which is like OCD but the letters are in the correct alphabetical order!). Thanks for your hard work and striving for accuracy.

mickeyfan5534

Guest Review 2 - @TwilightZone
tenor.gif

What I'm getting at here is that you took Fantasia 2000, boiled the film down to it's pure environmental essence, added in the traveling theater concept, and created pure magic. I think the only placement issue is that you could have saved the Frozen expansion.

There's plenty of room to use right next to it, and even then you could also use it to eat up Toy Story Playland for something worthwhile if you really need more room than that (it's about 3/4 the size of Frozen making a guestimation). Anyway, onto the actual attraction.

I honestly wish you did a more fantastical facade. The opera house is nice, but to go from a medieval village to a modern opera house is going to be jarring. Even if you went more Versailles with it, it'd fit pretty well. I love the idea of the entry room being the concert hall set. I think that is one of the most underrated things in an underrated film.
I come in with bias and comparison, since I did Fantasia for my final project in last season. I like opening with Pines of Rome. It's a genuinely stunning piece and I think you got the epicness of the flying whales across. However, I think that you should have saved it and opened with the comedic Carnival of the Animals or abstract Symphony No. 5 and then gone into the more epic Pines of Rome. It would have really done something for the pace of the ride which currently feels all over the place, a problem with my Fantasia ride as well. I like how you ended things back where the guests began, but with some extra magic in there with the sky reveal. Again, like I had to do for James G. I'm having to nitpick because everyone did so well.

Last edited:

TwilightZone

Guest Review 2 - @TwilightZone

tenor.gif

What I'm getting at here is that you took Fantasia 2000, boiled the film down to it's pure environmental essence, added in the traveling theater concept, and created pure magic. I think the only placement issue is that you could have saved the Frozen expansion.
View attachment 361029
There's plenty of room to use right next to it, and even then you could also use it to eat up Toy Story Playland for something worthwhile if you really need more room than that (it's about 3/4 the size of Frozen making a guestimation). Anyway, onto the actual attraction.

I honestly wish you did a more fantastical facade. The opera house is nice, but to go from a medieval village to a modern opera house is going to be jarring. Even if you went more Versailles with it, it'd fit pretty well. I love the idea of the entry room being the concert hall set. I think that is one of the most underrated things in an underrated film.
I come in with bias and comparison, since I did Fantasia for my final project in last season. I like opening with Pines of Rome. It's a genuinely stunning piece and I think you got the epicness of the flying whales across. However, I think that you should have saved it and opened with the comedic Carnival of the Animals or abstract Symphony No. 5 and then gone into the more epic Pines of Rome. It would have really done something for the pace of the ride which currently feels all over the place, a problem with my Fantasia ride as well. I like how you ended things back where the guests began, but with some extra magic in there with the sky reveal. Again, like I had to do for James G. I'm having to nitpick because everyone did so well.
Thank you! Facade was honestly the hardest part for me, very tricky! I figured it wouldn't be super bad since Fantsyland is both medival village, carnival, and whatever it's a small world is haha.

I felt opening it with the epic pines of rome was the best way to go. Then you could get all your wows out of the gate! But I will keep in mind to make ordering a little better in the future!

Last edited:

mickeyfan5534

Guest Review 3 - @Evilgidgit
I love Hercules. I love it so much. It really deserves a dark ride. But here's my biggest problem. Shanghai is already in need of attractions. Why for the love of Walt did you decide to make this replace Voyage to the Crystal Grotto? With all the space inside Shanghai for expansion, there's absolutely no reason for attractions to need to be closed and replaced at this point. Now that we got that problem covered, you did a lot of good with that space. Creating a small miniland for the area filled with things to do, you used the area well. I can really imagine Mount Olympus behind Enchanted Storybook Castle and adding a really dynamic and interesting look to the park.
The ride itself is great and something really special. I love the idea of Pegasus leading the vehicle. It's a really good idea.
So reading through this, I was reminded of something. And it finally hit me reading through it again while writing this, the concept for Disneyland Paris's Little Mermaid attraction. You have some really cool scenes here like the Hydra and the deal with Herc and Hades. The slideshow at the end was helpful. The one thing I could have really used that would have added so much was a ride map. Nothing elaborate but it would have sent a strong project into a fantastic one.
Overall, good job.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom