The Sorcerer's Apprentice Season 5 - ENDGAME

D Hulk

Original Poster
enhance

enhance

IT'S DINNER TIME!!!

It’s the themed restaurant challenge!!!

Your task is to propose a new immersive restaurant for Disney-MGM Studios circa 2019.
  • Don't you mean Disney Hollywood Studios? Well, in The Sorcerer's Apprentice Season 4 our players created an alternate history for this park which substantially altered its identity. True, Maleficent did destroy this project in her Snap...but maybe your additions can rescue this one part of the Sorcerer's Apprentice Universe from her destruction.​
  • That Season 4 project was set from 1995 - 2001. You have 18 years of additional alternate history, meaning you can make any large-scale changes needed to fit your new restaurant.​
  • While the primary focus here is on creating an original and fully immersive restaurant setting, don’t lose focus on the food. That is to say, make a menu.​
enhance

Project Managers
Warriors
- @Brer Oswald
Princes - @PerGronStudio

Individual Reviewers
Warriors
- Magic Feather, michmousefan
Princes - Magicart87, mickeyfan5534

This Project is due Friday, March 1st, at 11:59 PM EST

Time Zones

Pacific Standard Time - 8:59 PM
Eastern Standard Time - 11:59 PM
Barbados Party Time - 12:59 AM
Greenwich Mean Time - 3:59 AM
Central European Time - 4:59 AM

Any specific questions feel free to ask in your brainstorming PMs or below. Thank you and best of luck everyone!​

D Hulk

Original Poster
enhance

Program Guide

Link to The Sorcerer's Apprentice Season 4's MGM Studios proposal.

Villainous Advice

“So Kronk, are we all set to take over Disney Dining?”

“Oh yeah. I thought we’d start out with ADR reservations at Be Our Guest, then see how we feel after that.”

“Not the dinner reservations, Kronk! The…youuuu knowwww.”

“Oh riiiight, the competitors. Trying to stop the competitors. Trying to stop the competitors from creating a restaurant for Hollywood Studios…That thing?”

“Yes, that thing!”

“Soooo…What do we have to do with Hollywood anyway?”

“I’m a vain, image-obsessed lady and you’re a tanned, muscular dimwit. It’s perfect, I tell you!”
- Yzma & Kronk

--------

Heroic Hints

enhance

--------

Stanza VII Sound Trivia - The Famous Noises of Hollywood

Voxel

President of Progress City
enhance

enhance

TEAM PRINCESS

To both teams, congrats! For such a speedy challenge, there is free-flowing creativity from all. Both proposals are the most purely fun things so far this season!

Team Princess, you really nailed your humor and your cohesion. The whole project feels like a perfect little whole, all building like a steam train towards the final punchline of “Which project are they doing?!” And then it’s just another ad campaign?! Hilarious!

All the very 2013-centric visuals feel unified. The satire on the Disney fan community’s madness is spot-on. For such a short, sweet, bit-size little project there are plenty of ideas here which all somehow complement each other. There really isn’t much more to say about this. Good use of format, fun, funny, clever, a great ad campaign proposal.

Lastly, a few of my friends were extras in the original Sharknado! Really.

enhance

TEAM WARIO

This is an unexpected “viral” direction, going back to Sorcerer’s Apprentice’s most quintessentially ‘80s project and doing a proto-viral ad campaign.

I feel this proposal was made specifically for ME. I mean, I created The Microverse…with @Voxel. Incorporating Ratigan’s movie? Yay! :joyfull:Oh, and M.J. also recorded the Sorcerer’s Apprentice Season 5 theme song (“Thriller”) just for us! With a vocal cameo from Vincent Prince, the voice of Ratigan! What serendipity!

Your competitors had a more cohesive presentation. The Great Mouse Detective tie-in is stylistically and narratively a bit removed from the video and song, though cute on its one. The song is the centerpiece! The lyrics are fun. I’ll have them stuck in my head tonight. (@TheOriginalTiki, you MUST sing this song on the next podcast!) The video is believably ‘80s EPCOT Center, making my own artwork from last year feel like genuine period concept art!

Too bad you weren’t able to get the lyrics into the video itself. I have to play the vid twice – once to see its visuals, and once to attempt singing along.

But what was it your team did best? You truly tied this proposal into the greater Sorcerer’s Apprentice Universe. Team Princess did a tossed-off gag – a good one. You took one of the game’s more realistic proposals and you enriched it with a very realistic marketing blitz.​
I see you trying to put my name into small font. I would argue that it was an equal effort. I feel like I need to go back and iron out the coaster portion of the pavilion. I think it needed better show points, but the visuals we did worked for it perfectly. I did love what Warriors did with this, I think it fits the Mirco Pavilion very very well.

Also I need to look back on the designs, I cant remember who suggested the inverted pyramid for the design.

D Hulk

Original Poster
I see you trying to put my name into small font. I would argue that it was an equal effort. I feel like I need to go back and iron out the coaster portion of the pavilion. I think it needed better show points, but the visuals we did worked for it perfectly. I did love what Warriors did with this, I think it fits the Mirco Pavilion very very well.

Also I need to look back on the designs, I cant remember who suggested the inverted pyramid for the design.
I didn’t mean to undersell your contributions to The Microverse even if my review literally belittled your name. The reviews sometimes take a slightly ironic tone, is all.

@Voxel’s contributions to The Microverse might’ve been more 65% of it. I’m such an EPCOT Center neophyte, he helped to ground us in a real sense of that park’s unique style. His 3D rendering of the pavilion was top notch. That Particle Accelerator coaster concept holds enormous promise.

Not to undersell my other Brava teammates either! Their work on the Turkey pavilion was also fantastic. #VBB

Voxel

President of Progress City
I didn’t mean to undersell your contributions to The Microverse even if my review literally belittled your name. The reviews sometimes take a slightly ironic tone, is all.

@Voxel’s contributions to The Microverse might’ve been more 65% of it. I’m such an EPCOT Center neophyte, he helped to ground us in a real sense of that park’s unique style. His 3D rendering of the pavilion was top notch. That Particle Accelerator coaster concept holds enormous promise.

Not to undersell my other Brava teammates either! Their work on the Turkey pavilion was also fantastic. #VBB
Haha I'm just teasing you man. I had to give you a hard time for putting my name in small font instead of BIG font. XD.

That project might be one of my favorites.

PerGron

Experience a recording of the most coveted awards ceremony of the year: The Golden Mickey’s right here at Disney's MGM Studios! Have a fancy meal while witnessing the award ceremony of the century. This attraction doubles as a show and restaurant, making for a truly magical experience.

To create this special attraction, Disney will be removing the Great Movie Ride, much to the dismay of fans, but they quickly realized that expansions since 2001 had made the old ride irrelevant. Instead, the large chunk of space could be used for an all-new land in the Studios!

The Golden Mickeys will be Phase I of a larger expansion. More details on this land are to follow after the show's opening.

With all of the changes to Disney's MGM Studios up until 2001, the one constant that remained was the Chinese Theater and the Great Movie Ride. An integral part of the park as both a binding narrative and its physical placement in the park since inception, this began to fade in the years of expansion up to 2001 and the years that followed. Closing the attraction was no small decision, but doing so allowed a good bit of its footprint and surrounding buildings to create a new land expansion for the park. By keeping the iconic façade and replacing the interior with a restaurant themed to the movies and the movie-making experience, a balance and theme for the park could be maintained while also enhancing guest offerings.

Opened in the summer of 2019, The Golden Mickeys Award Show & Dining Experience sought to keep the spirit of the attraction that it replaced and bring a new immersive dining experience in line with the original studio theme of the park. Set to an awards night gala, The Golden Mickeys will be taking place inside, and those guests lucky enough to snag an invite or a nomination will be there for a great meal, and to be a part of the show.

This is not an ordinary award show though, as you'll all be extras in the filming of the extravaganza. From the red carpet to the delectable desserts, guests will not only get the full gala experience but be a part of a live movie set running throughout the day that has staged the even for a new big budget film. All of it will make for a meal and experience they'll never forget.

From the outside, not much will have changed to the façade itself. Gone will be the attraction signage, replaced with an equally Hollywoodesque premier sign for the restaurant. In keeping with the theme, a vintage limo will be parked out front with a few lucky patrons throughout the day being chosen to film pulling up to and walking into the theater.

The current entrance to the attraction will be maintained for the restaurant entrance itself. Upon entering, guests will notice that all of the memorabilia has been moved along with all of the queue Stanton and replaced with a free-flowing walkway complete with red carpet, award show backdrops, a cheering crowd, and background audio of all the "who are you wearing" questions you could want.

After checking in with directors for your reservation, guests will have ample opportunity to mingle down the red carpet and take photos with a few rotating wax celebrities on loan from Madame Tussaud's. Utilizing some of the transitioned cast from the Great Movie Ride, you'll also encounter a camera crew or two looking to interview you for the broadcast.

Once your red carpet duties are complete, you'll have made your way further inside the theater and away from all the hubbub of your arrival. Here you can gather yourself and have some time to freshen up or peruse some of the relocated items from the old attraction. Once your table is ready, a cast director/host/hostess will greet you giving you a few pointers on the awards show, the opportunities that might come up to possibly be a part of the filming if you so desire and take you into the grand ballroom.

Inside, you'll notice nothing but pure Hollywood elegance. All variety of tiered seating arranged throughout the room to accommodate numerous size parties and spread before the stage with not a bad view in the place. Beautiful rich tones are used for the set décor around you. Tables and linens all neatly pressed and awaiting their guests. Adorning either side of the stage are large statuesque Golden Mickeys, replicas of the awards being handed out. A large video screen center stage provides and various monitors around the room provide ample viewing to catch the dailies that run every 40-45 minutes in between filming and the show.

Even though you are working on set and celebs are never supposed to eat, a fine menu awaits you once you've gathered yourself at your table.

On with the Show
While enjoying your delectable meal, guests will enjoy an incredible show that celebrates the glitz and glamour of Hollywood (well, the Disney side of it at least). There are four different versions of the show. 2 different host characters and each host character has 2 different sets of award categories. Each show is roughly a half hour long with a half hour in between shows meaning that most diners will only see one performance while dining. For the sake of brevity, this write-up will only focus on one specific host with one set of award categories.

The host for this evening is Danielle Spink (Daughter of former Citizen of Hollywood character, Danni Spink,and granddaughter to one of the Dapper Dans. Entertainment runs in her blood). Danielle has a very goofy sense of humor. She would almost feel out of place in the glitz and glamour of Hollywood if she didn't carry herself with such confidence.

She opens the show with a short musical number about the Golden Mickey's awards. It is full of in-jokes about the film industries, Disney movies, pop culture of the last year, and more. This song is updated twice a year to feel fresh but is one of the few constants across all four versions of the show with every version starting with the same song.

This is followed up by the first award category! Best Pratfall by an Animated Actor or Actress (A personal favorite of Danielle's). The video seen below plays on the big screen.

Danielle comes back on stage to reveal that the Golden Mickey goes to Goofy for Hawaiin Holiday! Goofy (a character costume with an articulated mouth) comes up to give an acceptance speech. He is sure to thank his little Maxy and That Sir Fig Newton guy for discovering gravity which helps a lot with falling. Goofy then leaves the stage and loud crashing is heard implying he fell again the second he was out of view.

Other categories include: Best use of Cartoon Physics, Best Villainous Laugh, Best Slapstick by a Non-Animated Actor or Actress, Best Acting by a Stormtrooper (In helmets of course), Most Handsome Disney Prince (this category was written and rigged by Flynn Rider. He was all the nominations and brags about rigging it. He still loses to Kuzco who is not even a "prince"), Best Acting by an Animated Princess, Best Singing in a Non-Musical Film, and Best Disney Movie of 20XX (the current year).

On top of these awards (Each with a small introduction to the topic by Danielle and an acceptance speech by the winner), there are joke segments between Danielle with different audience members similar to the ones from Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor. She retells the story of two different films during the show: one is Inside Out and the other is Snow White and the Seven Dwarves. Random audience members are chosen to fill the different roles. When it is time for their character to do something, the camera will shine on them and they'll be seen on the big screen. Danielle will then prompt then person the person to do something to represent the character (Make an upset face if you're picked as "Grumpy" or make a happy face for "Joy"). Hilarity ensues as you get people of various excitement/commitment levels playing along to a fast paced, high energy retelling of the classic Disney movies! Each person who was picked will receive a button saying who they played (After the first year of operation, the buttons are replaced by stickers). Guests can also purchase their own personalized Golden Mickeys saying they are winners of Best Supporting Actor/Actress for their role as whatever character they played.

Similar to the Laugh Floor, one Diner is chosen as "That Guy" who becomes a running gag of the camera going back to him at various times to be a bit of the butt of the joke. At the end of the show, the final award category is best supporting actor/actress. Whoever was "That Guy" wins beating out Pumba, Mike Wazowski, and more. They then get the Golden Mickey statue for free (After the first year, the free statue is replaced by a free button).

NOTE: These audience gags may seem slightly derivative of Monster's Inc. Laugh Floor, but that is ok. A little known fact about the SAU is that Monster's Inc. Laugh Floor Never Existed. Jar Jar Binks Tonight, a parody of late night talk shows hosted by Jar Jar Binks, has been "delighting" guests instead all this time.

A Sampling from the Menu
Lawrence of Arabia Kebabs
  • 1/16 Cup of Vegetable Oil
  • 1/12 Cup of Honey
  • 1/12 Cup of Soy Sauce
  • 1/16 Teaspoon of Ground Black Pepper
  • 2-3 Skinless, Boneless Chicken Breast Halves- cut into 1-inch cubes
  • 1 Cloves Garlic
  • 2 Small Onions, cut into 2-inch pieces
  • 1 Red Bell Pepper, cut into 2-inch pieces
  • Skewers
Additional updates to the Disney MGM Studios from 2001 - Present Day
2002-2003
-No changes due to completion of 2001 expansions, beyond refurbishments.
-In 2003, a new sub-land for Sunset Boulevard, Streets of Symphony, is announced to be built behind the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror.
-The Streets of Symphony open, celebrating the emergence of radio in America, featuring a rollercoaster called Sound!, exploring the history of radio with an emphasis on Orson Welles' War of the Worlds radio play; and the Sunset Showcase Theatre hosting Newsies.
-The Muppet Mobile Lab debuts in Muppet City.
-The Magic of the Movies Parade debuts, based on classic Disney shorts.
-Jedi Training: Trials of the Temple debuts in Star Wars Land.
-Animagic fireworks end, replaced with the Hooray For Hollywood fireworks.
-The Legend of Captain Jack Sparrow, reimagined as a stunt show, replaces Cinderella in the Lillian Bounds Theatre.
-The Great Movie Ride undergoes a mass refurbishment, containing new scenes.
-Toy Story Playland is announced to open in 2010 to tie in with Toy Story 3. The land is built in the area behind the Warehouse of Wonder, featuring Midway Mania (in a new spot), the Slinky spinner, RC Racer, and the Green Army Men Parachutes.
-A new version of Fantasmic - Fantasmic: Ocean Dreams - debuts, inspired by Tokyo DisneySea's version.
-Toy Story Playland debuts.
-Star Tour: The Adventure Continues replaces the original Star Tours.
-Parade of Smiles debuts, a toy-themed daytime parade recycling old floats from the 1999 Toy Story parade.
-Newsies closes, fans riot! It is replaced by the playful Winnie the Pooh and Friends show, set in 1926, and wins back some fans with its charm.
-Animation Courtyard and Toontown are refurbished.
-Muppet*Vision closes, replaced with The Muppet Show Spectacular, an elaborate animatronic show.
-Goofy For Hollywood ends, replaced by Max's Powerline Hour.
-Wishes and Wonders fireworks debuts.
-Legend of Captain Jack Sparrow closes, replaced by Frozen: An Enchanted Musical.
-Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge and mass changes to Toy Story Playland are announced. SW:GE will not be a copy of Disneyland's version, but instead set on an original ice planet with the Podracers coasters reimagined as a mountain expedition into Wampa territory. Toy Story Playland will lose most of its attractions, though MM remains, gaining the Slinky coaster, A.S.S., and a Pizza Planet restaurant.
-Toy Story Playland construction begins.
-Newsies returns!
-Disney's Flights of Fancy Parade debuts, based on flight/aircraft.
-Star Wars Land closes to undergo its transformation into Galaxy's Edge.
-TGMR is to close in 2018, replaced by the brand new Golden Mickeys Restaurant.
-Toy Story Playland re-opens with new attractions.
-A brand new version of the Hooray For Hollywood fireworks show debuts.
-Galaxy's Edge opens.
-The Golden Mickey Restaurant opens.

spacemt354

Chili's
team-warriors-logo-trans-png.349817

New York Street BGM Loop

After the elegant expansion of the Disney-MGM Studios in 2001 to honor the upcoming 100 Years of Magic Celebration, the park went through several transformations in the coming years. As the library and popularity of Disney-Pixar films grew, it saw a greater presence in the parks, beginning with Toy Story Land in 2008 - complete with Slinky Dog Dash and Toy Story Midway Mania. This land took the place of the Backlot Tour and eventually shut down an alley of Maroon Studios that would be abandoned - until now.

Themed after 1930s New York City, 'New York Street' would be inspired by the false facades of the Backlot Tour that was torn down for the Toy Story expansion. Bringing MGM back to its roots, this newly installed quaint area of the park offered guests a peak into the roots of Manhattan, as well as its finest delicacies.
maxresdefault.jpg

picmgm.jpg

To round out the area was two restaurants to expand the offerings of MGM Studios. One was Bowery Deli, a counter service restaurant/deli with seating inside and possibly outside. It's menu serves kosher meals offering a unique palate unlike any in the Disney parks. Its menu is described below.

-------------------------

Nevertheless, the main restaurant of this expansion is...
Untitled3333.png

Themed after a 1930s Firehouse in the heart of Manhattan converted to a diner restaurant - this is unique to all Disney restaurants in that its signature style is an all-day breakfast menu complete to the 9s with classic treats to savory all your tastebuds.

The interior is laid out in various rooms occupying the the prior firehouse. Guests can marvel at its history from the inception of the Firehouse est 1908 to the 'present day' in the 1930s/40s. The classy decor is sophistated by also family-friendly given its location in the park close to Toy Story Land as well as Muppet City in the quaint alley of New York Street.
the-chicago-firehouse.jpg

firehouse-interior.jpg

Below is a menu offering detailing all the restaurant has to offer.

As a bonus - in the small giftshop near the entrance/exit to the Firehouse, guests can purchase their own cookbook featuring several menu items the restaurant has to offer.
4ced99b1-a4bb-4c59-a5df-74686284b3bf-jpeg.353054

66b0de6b-c048-4194-8cbc-7618542734d9-jpeg.353331

c8646c73-6cb8-45b6-aab9-ff1fdc72a7fd-jpeg.353332

We hope you enjoy New York Street as a part of the 30th Anniversary celebration of Disney-MGM Studios. See ya real soon!

mickeyfan5534

View attachment 353554

Experience a recording of the most coveted awards ceremony of the year: The Golden Mickey’s right here at Disney's MGM Studios! Have a fancy meal while witnessing the award ceremony of the century. This attraction doubles as a show and restaurant, making for a truly magical experience.

To create this special attraction, Disney will be removing the Great Movie Ride, much to the dismay of fans, but they quickly realized that expansions since 2001 had made the old ride irrelevant. Instead, the large chunk of space could be used for an all-new land in the Studios!

The Golden Mickeys will be Phase I of a larger expansion. More details on this land are to follow after the show's opening.

With all of the changes to Disney's MGM Studios up until 2001, the one constant that remained was the Chinese Theater and the Great Movie Ride. An integral part of the park as both a binding narrative and its physical placement in the park since inception, this began to fade in the years of expansion up to 2001 and the years that followed. Closing the attraction was no small decision, but doing so allowed a good bit of its footprint and surrounding buildings to create a new land expansion for the park. By keeping the iconic façade and replacing the interior with a restaurant themed to the movies and the movie-making experience, a balance and theme for the park could be maintained while also enhancing guest offerings.

Opened in the summer of 2019, The Golden Mickeys Award Show & Dining Experience sought to keep the spirit of the attraction that it replaced and bring a new immersive dining experience in line with the original studio theme of the park. Set to an awards night gala, The Golden Mickeys will be taking place inside, and those guests lucky enough to snag an invite or a nomination will be there for a great meal, and to be a part of the show.

This is not an ordinary award show though, as you'll all be extras in the filming of the extravaganza. From the red carpet to the delectable desserts, guests will not only get the full gala experience but be a part of a live movie set running throughout the day that has staged the even for a new big budget film. All of it will make for a meal and experience they'll never forget.

From the outside, not much will have changed to the façade itself. Gone will be the attraction signage, replaced with an equally Hollywoodesque premier sign for the restaurant. In keeping with the theme, a vintage limo will be parked out front with a few lucky patrons throughout the day being chosen to film pulling up to and walking into the theater.

The current entrance to the attraction will be maintained for the restaurant entrance itself. Upon entering, guests will notice that all of the memorabilia has been moved along with all of the queue Stanton and replaced with a free-flowing walkway complete with red carpet, award show backdrops, a cheering crowd, and background audio of all the "who are you wearing" questions you could want.

After checking in with directors for your reservation, guests will have ample opportunity to mingle down the red carpet and take photos with a few rotating wax celebrities on loan from Madame Tussaud's. Utilizing some of the transitioned cast from the Great Movie Ride, you'll also encounter a camera crew or two looking to interview you for the broadcast.

Once your red carpet duties are complete, you'll have made your way further inside the theater and away from all the hubbub of your arrival. Here you can gather yourself and have some time to freshen up or peruse some of the relocated items from the old attraction. Once your table is ready, a cast director/host/hostess will greet you giving you a few pointers on the awards show, the opportunities that might come up to possibly be a part of the filming if you so desire and take you into the grand ballroom.

Inside, you'll notice nothing but pure Hollywood elegance. All variety of tiered seating arranged throughout the room to accommodate numerous size parties and spread before the stage with not a bad view in the place. Beautiful rich tones are used for the set décor around you. Tables and linens all neatly pressed and awaiting their guests. Adorning either side of the stage are large statuesque Golden Mickeys, replicas of the awards being handed out. A large video screen center stage provides and various monitors around the room provide ample viewing to catch the dailies that run every 40-45 minutes in between filming and the show.

Even though you are working on set and celebs are never supposed to eat, a fine menu awaits you once you've gathered yourself at your table.

On with the Show
While enjoying your delectable meal, guests will enjoy an incredible show that celebrates the glitz and glamour of Hollywood (well, the Disney side of it at least). There are four different versions of the show. 2 different host characters and each host character has 2 different sets of award categories. Each show is roughly a half hour long with a half hour in between shows meaning that most diners will only see one performance while dining. For the sake of brevity, this write-up will only focus on one specific host with one set of award categories.

The host for this evening is Danielle Spink (Daughter of former Citizen of Hollywood character, Danni Spink,and granddaughter to one of the Dapper Dans. Entertainment runs in her blood). Danielle has a very goofy sense of humor. She would almost feel out of place in the glitz and glamour of Hollywood if she didn't carry herself with such confidence.

She opens the show with a short musical number about the Golden Mickey's awards. It is full of in-jokes about the film industries, Disney movies, pop culture of the last year, and more. This song is updated twice a year to feel fresh but is one of the few constants across all four versions of the show with every version starting with the same song.

This is followed up by the first award category! Best Pratfall by an Animated Actor or Actress (A personal favorite of Danielle's). The video seen below plays on the big screen.

Danielle comes back on stage to reveal that the Golden Mickey goes to Goofy for Hawaiin Holiday! Goofy (a character costume with an articulated mouth) comes up to give an acceptance speech. He is sure to thank his little Maxy and That Sir Fig Newton guy for discovering gravity which helps a lot with falling. Goofy then leaves the stage and loud crashing is heard implying he fell again the second he was out of view.

Other categories include: Best use of Cartoon Physics, Best Villainous Laugh, Best Slapstick by a Non-Animated Actor or Actress, Best Acting by a Stormtrooper (In helmets of course), Most Handsome Disney Prince (this category was written and rigged by Flynn Rider. He was all the nominations and brags about rigging it. He still loses to Kuzco who is not even a "prince"), Best Acting by an Animated Princess, Best Singing in a Non-Musical Film, and Best Disney Movie of 20XX (the current year).

On top of these awards (Each with a small introduction to the topic by Danielle and an acceptance speech by the winner), there are joke segments between Danielle with different audience members similar to the ones from Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor. She retells the story of two different films during the show: one is Inside Out and the other is Snow White and the Seven Dwarves. Random audience members are chosen to fill the different roles. When it is time for their character to do something, the camera will shine on them and they'll be seen on the big screen. Danielle will then prompt then person the person to do something to represent the character (Make an upset face if you're picked as "Grumpy" or make a happy face for "Joy"). Hilarity ensues as you get people of various excitement/commitment levels playing along to a fast paced, high energy retelling of the classic Disney movies! Each person who was picked will receive a button saying who they played (After the first year of operation, the buttons are replaced by stickers). Guests can also purchase their own personalized Golden Mickeys saying they are winners of Best Supporting Actor/Actress for their role as whatever character they played.

Similar to the Laugh Floor, one Diner is chosen as "That Guy" who becomes a running gag of the camera going back to him at various times to be a bit of the butt of the joke. At the end of the show, the final award category is best supporting actor/actress. Whoever was "That Guy" wins beating out Pumba, Mike Wazowski, and more. They then get the Golden Mickey statue for free (After the first year, the free statue is replaced by a free button).

NOTE: These audience gags may seem slightly derivative of Monster's Inc. Laugh Floor, but that is ok. A little known fact about the SAU is that Monster's Inc. Laugh Floor Never Existed. Jar Jar Binks Tonight, a parody of late night talk shows hosted by Jar Jar Binks, has been "delighting" guests instead all this time.

A Sampling from the Menu
Lawrence of Arabia Kebabs
  • 1/16 Cup of Vegetable Oil
  • 1/12 Cup of Honey
  • 1/12 Cup of Soy Sauce
  • 1/16 Teaspoon of Ground Black Pepper
  • 2-3 Skinless, Boneless Chicken Breast Halves- cut into 1-inch cubes
  • 1 Cloves Garlic
  • 2 Small Onions, cut into 2-inch pieces
  • 1 Red Bell Pepper, cut into 2-inch pieces
  • Skewers
Additional updates to the Disney MGM Studios from 2001 - Present Day
2002-2003
-No changes due to completion of 2001 expansions, beyond refurbishments.
-In 2003, a new sub-land for Sunset Boulevard, Streets of Symphony, is announced to be built behind the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror.
-The Streets of Symphony open, celebrating the emergence of radio in America, featuring a rollercoaster called Sound!, exploring the history of radio with an emphasis on Orson Welles' War of the Worlds radio play; and the Sunset Showcase Theatre hosting Newsies.
-The Muppet Mobile Lab debuts in Muppet City.
-The Magic of the Movies Parade debuts, based on classic Disney shorts.
-Jedi Training: Trials of the Temple debuts in Star Wars Land.
-Animagic fireworks end, replaced with the Hooray For Hollywood fireworks.
-The Legend of Captain Jack Sparrow, reimagined as a stunt show, replaces Cinderella in the Lillian Bounds Theatre.
-The Great Movie Ride undergoes a mass refurbishment, containing new scenes.
-Toy Story Playland is announced to open in 2010 to tie in with Toy Story 3. The land is built in the area behind the Warehouse of Wonder, featuring Midway Mania (in a new spot), the Slinky spinner, RC Racer, and the Green Army Men Parachutes.
-A new version of Fantasmic - Fantasmic: Ocean Dreams - debuts, inspired by Tokyo DisneySea's version.
-Toy Story Playland debuts.
-Star Tour: The Adventure Continues replaces the original Star Tours.
-Parade of Smiles debuts, a toy-themed daytime parade recycling old floats from the 1999 Toy Story parade.
-Newsies closes, fans riot! It is replaced by the playful Winnie the Pooh and Friends show, set in 1926, and wins back some fans with its charm.
-Animation Courtyard and Toontown are refurbished.
-Muppet*Vision closes, replaced with The Muppet Show Spectacular, an elaborate animatronic show.
-Goofy For Hollywood ends, replaced by Max's Powerline Hour.
-Wishes and Wonders fireworks debuts.
-Legend of Captain Jack Sparrow closes, replaced by Frozen: An Enchanted Musical.
-Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge and mass changes to Toy Story Playland are announced. SW:GE will not be a copy of Disneyland's version, but instead set on an original ice planet with the Podracers coasters reimagined as a mountain expedition into Wampa territory. Toy Story Playland will lose most of its attractions, though MM remains, gaining the Slinky coaster, A.S.S., and a Pizza Planet restaurant.
-Toy Story Playland construction begins.
-Newsies returns!
-Disney's Flights of Fancy Parade debuts, based on flight/aircraft.
-Star Wars Land closes to undergo its transformation into Galaxy's Edge.
-TGMR is to close in 2018, replaced by the brand new Golden Mickeys Restaurant.
-Toy Story Playland re-opens with new attractions.
-A brand new version of the Hooray For Hollywood fireworks show debuts.
-Galaxy's Edge opens.
-The Golden Mickey Restaurant opens.

I'm about to leave for work so I'll make this quick.

You know, when my biggest issue with a project is that you got the timeline from a project and a small history point from the past messed up, you done did good. Amazing job, though I would have gone for a dinner show approach than the continuous show you have running. It's tight, it's fun, and you had some great teamwork going. Keep this up and I genuinely can't wait to see what comes next week.

Just to clear that timeline issue up, which I'll just take as some SAU shenaniganery:
Animagic was intended to close in 2001 when Fantasmic opened
Fantasmic opened at TDS in 2011
Goofy About Hollywood was originally a Theatre of the Stars show, scaled down moved to the Chinese Theatre courtyard while the Sunset Boulevard expansion was being constructed and the Theatre of the Stars was closed and ended when the Lillian Bounds Theatre opened with Cinderella

D Hulk

Original Poster
enhance

enhance

Not even a “prince”?! ARGHHH!

THE GOLDEN MICKEYS

An awards show dinner theater? What a neat idea! It so perfectly fits the Studios park, it’s sort of shocking something like this (in any form) doesn’t already exist there. I’m only vaguely aware of the Golden Mickeys show on Disney’s cruises, except that it seems to be a perpetually popular pick in Armchair Imagineering. Without knowing it, I cannot judge your originality. Benefit of the doubt, I’ll assume this isn’t a simple copy-paste.

The presentation opens with the destruction of Great Movie Ride! That’s a shocking beginning! If I recall, you justified this during brainstorming. Those justifications aren’t there in the presentation, making it a harder sell. This is an especially surprising gambit coming from @Disney Dad 3000, Patron Saint of GMR.

But given that you are axing GMR, I like how you’re improving the overall park as a result. Using this prompt’s premise, you’ve back-doored major infrastructural improvements to Disney-MGM Studios as a whole! While that wasn’t a central component of the challenge, it was intentionally baked in and I’m pleased to see you ran with it.

But onto the central component…the restaurant. With my Californian perspective, I’m getting major Carthay Circle vibes. That’s a great thing; I adore CC as DCA’s icon & premiere eatery. You’ve taken their luxurious ambiance and created a genuine attraction out of it, something which is far more immersive and “theme park-y” while retaining Carthay’s robust foundation.

Initially while reading, I grew concerned about how you’d handle a “dinner theater” format in a theme park. Turns out I needn’t worry! You’ve modified the show (alternating between live performances and video screens) to accommodate continuous seating without sacrificing the gala vibe. The writing conveying this info is elegant, nicely integrating practical details with more evocative descriptions. One potential pitfall inherent in your underlying concept, carefully avoided!

The menu itself – both the dishes plus the visuals – is top notch. It feels very realistic. Enough variety without being overwhelming, a tasteful design, fun Academy Award references. Best in show right here! Even the lack of prices – maybe someone will complain – seems reasonable since I assume this is a prix fixe establishment.

Lastly, I tasked both teams with a recipe “bonus challenge.” Last night I hosted a cookout where (in addition to salads and over 5 pounds of red meat) I prepared one dish from each team. For Team Princes, I grilled up the Lawrence of Arabia Kebabs.

enhance

They were tasty. The honey- and soy-based marinade gave the chicken a light sweetness, complimented nicely by the smokey flavor from the grill. There are no leftovers! When the meal concluded, I informally asked my guests if they preferred this or Warriors’ dish. It was a tie! Everyone liked the kebabs, so you have a winner here.

Some parts stood out as stronger (the menu). The presentation format, after so many rounds of innovation, is very basic. Nothing wrong with that, especially when the fundamentals are clearly conveyed. A little distinct formatting though for, say, the park-wide updates, that would’ve helped. Overall, though, very good work Princes.​

D Hulk

Original Poster
enhance

FIREHOUSE 89

While I like Princes’ award show idea, and I feel it’s a more obvious fit for MGM Studios, I must say that personally I am a much, much, MUCH bigger fan of your firehouse concept. No surprise there! You consciously catered to my tastes (kudos @James G.). Yes, I am a former firefighter. Yes, your menu is basically how I already cook. And it’s a great idea anyway, sure to have broad appeal.

The execution suffers a bit in comparison.

While initial brainstorming went well, the teamwork got a lot iffier as the challenge progressed. There was a painful lack of communication yesterday. Roles were either unassigned or not understood, and it’s not clear if your Project Manager realized he was Project Manager.

Part of the challenge with these quicker prompts is communication. Schedules might get in the way, so let others know. Don’t wait for someone else to do your work in the final hour. If you have constructive criticism early on, say so. If your Project Manager is inactive, it’s up to someone else to take the reins. And that someone else shouldn’t be the veteran with nothing left to prove. In the next round, I’d like to see some newer players lead the charge. You’re able to do this, you’ve done it before! Any problems you had in this round, they’re behind you now, they’re in the past, but the way I see it, you can either run from it…or learn from it. –Rafiki

Some aspects of your presentation, sadly, suffer from the rushed production. The writing (“the classic décor is sophistated [sic] by also family-friendly”) gets wonky at times.

The central idea – an immersive firehouse eatery – feels undernourished. Undercooked. Underbaked. Raw. There’s a brief mention of playground elements. What else goes on here? How does it compete with Sci-Fi Dine-In or Primetime Café? Do the servers act in-character? Are there stunt demonstrations of firefighting? What elevates Firehouse 89 from a well-themed café to a special, one-of-a-kind experience?

Now…I do like your menu. Visually, it’s fine. What you’re serving, though, the food itself, that’s all extremely appetizing, particularly the all-day breakfast items. If anything will help Firehouse 89 stand out, it’s that. I also like the attention to hot sauces as a thematic element. Your dishes are all-American yet exciting, accessible to the average park-goer without feeling dumbed-down. Perhaps for a theme park restaurant the menu is a bit extensive; it feels a local coffee shop menu.

The cookbook is a neat additional idea. It’s also largely unnecessary. Are you just copy-pasting someone else’s preexisting recipes? It’s a crazy thing to dedicate 11 pages to. More time spent fine-tuning your own ideas would’ve been time better spent.

Of course one recipe was requested, for the specific reason that I wanted to prepare it. Let’s see how that turned out…

enhance

Last night I made your Firehouse Chili. The various spices provided a richly layered flavor profile. The recipe provided was very NOT spicy (“false alarm” by your menu’s nomenclature), and ultimately I went slightly off-book and dumped in a mostly-empty bottle of Tapatio to get it up to “training session.” That was the ideal “noticeable but painless” spice level. Hot chili proved very comforting on a cold March evening. My guests who preferred this specifically called it nostalgic.

Conceptually, Team Warriors had the winning idea. There’s unrealized potential here, which is a shame. There are high points, of course (both teams have great menus, which matters a ton to a foodie like me), and low points (the immersive element needs more work). With better communication, with more ambition, your next effort can easily surpass this!​

AceAstro

I like the idea of an awards show in Hollywood MGM Studios. I think it's a very nice addition to the park and one that I would love to see in real life!

One thing I am surprised about is how much this expansion is taking up as it's also knocking out the ABC Commissary and Sci-fi area while knocking down the show building for GMR. What a large overhaul!

The idea of the full "experience" is great! From the red carpet to the lights to everything in between, it looks like a really great time.

Moving on to the menu, it looks very nice. It is themed to fit the restaurant while also clear on what each item was. Each name is really fun as well! But where are the prices? Is it a la carte or a full meal?

I like the idea of the quick turnaround for the shows but I feel like the show needs to be a bit longer. It is not hard to spend over an hour in a Table Service at Disney, especially a well-themed one like this.

I love the Pratfall nomination video! Taking those old shorts to make nominations is great (although I feel it would be hard for Goofy to not win any of the "fails").

I think all the running jokes is fun but would really add to the showtime. Monster's Inc. Laugh Floor is currently a 10-minute show with the jokes and stories (sped up) and more. I don't know if all of this could be done in a 30-minute show.

The timeline is fun but left me with a big question. In 2008 this happens "-The Great Movie Ride undergoes a mass refurbishment, containing new scenes". But earlier in the project the ride was called irrelevant "they quickly realized that expansions since 2001 had made the old ride irrelevant." Would the ride really be irrelevant 10 years later if new scenes were added?

Overall, it was a great project! A lot of fun to do an awards show!

AceAstro

Right to the point! We had a quick introduction to the area (which made sense) before diving right into the two dining options.

Starting with Bowery Deli, it is a simple sandwich shop that has some very nice sandwich options (I'll take a Brooklyn!).

On to Firehouse 89 now. A nice idea! All day breakfast is a great idea that so many people love I am sure this place would be lined up out the door!

The menu all look delicious (not sure what I'd pick but you can never go wrong with steak and eggs)! The cookbook is a great idea as I could see lots of people buying it (even though you can get most recipes at Guest Relations for free).

All in all, it's a great project with a great menu there were just a few things missing. I finished reading wanting more. That being said, two menus is no small task so I definitely applaud you for that!!​

kmbmw777

Great work as a whole! Your idea and execution were both amazing, and I loved the way that you incorporated SAU lore (and even SYWTBAI lore) into your presentations. On a large scale, I would say this - remember to center your final presentation. While sometimes you may want it left (or right) spaced, I feel like for this style of presentation, you definetely should have at least the images center spaced. It just gives the presentation a cleaner, more professional vibe to it.

As for your idea itself - I'm a huge fan. Exactly what the doctor ordered - a fun, immersive experience that you can only get at a Disney restaurant. The idea and accompanying visuals were amazing!

My only complaint is that the detail in the presentation left something to be desired. The one award you described in detail sounded hilarious, and I would have loved to read more about different ones. Even if it wasn't in as much detail as the first, it would have been hilarious and awesome to see more. Just to be clear, I'm not saying a video for all of them, because that is a ridiculous amount of work - btw the video editing is awesome, Pi! - but short lists would go a long way.

The 'that guy' gag, and 'Jar Jar Talk show' was hilarious and actually had me laughing out loud. Great ideas all around in this part.

Did I say the menu and video were amazing yet? I think I did, but I cannot express how much I love that aesthetic that you chose.

Final notes about your changes to the park - which were more of an afterthoughts, as they should be. That being said, you axed the Great Movie Ride! :0 . While I am not opposed to the idea itself, especially if you could use the space better like you did, I wish you added just one more sentence justifying this. The change is seen to be incredibly controversial in real life

Firehouse seemed like a logical pick for the studios and it had a lot of potential to provide a unique dining experience. Yet it falls flat.

You guys create a great menu with a fun cookbook, but the restaurant itself (decor, how it immerses guests) falls very flat to me. It feels like Mama Melrose's - great food, but not nearly as fun as SciFi Dine in or 50s Prime Time.

I also think that the new Warriors needs to figure out how to organize themselves as a team better. The team fell apart in the end, which was sad to watch because of how strong you were in the early stages of this round and last round as a whole. Next round hopefully, we'll see wiser communication, and you can use this round as a learning experience - build off each other's strengths and time commitments.

On a more positive note, I was a huge fan of the visuals and cookbook that accompanied your project. Your menu made me more hungry than Prince’s did (which is awesome, because I was super hungry after reading princes - and I tried to eat a full breakfast before reading, so hunger wouldn’t persuade my votes!). Awesome work in that department.

Overall, your team had great ideas and a very aesthetically pleasing execution. Great work!​

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom