The Shanghai Disneyland spoiler rich attraction preview thread!

Stevek

New Pirates DSLR shot video out.

Awesome attraction but should be called Jack Sparrows Pirates of the Caribbean.

Also an idea what the Star Wars Land E should be like. Minus the water.
I think the name works as is as I'm guessing the majority of the folks experiencing it in Shanghai, locals, etc. will really only know Pirates from the movies. To you and me, we get the difference. To them, they'd probably come to ours and think there wasn't enough from the movies.

Mike S

New Pirates DSLR shot video out.

Awesome attraction but should be called Jack Sparrows Pirates of the Caribbean.

Also an idea what the Star Wars Land E should be like. Minus the water.
Jack Sparrow's Battle for the Sunken Treasure would be a good name if the ride was ever cloned for a resort that also had the original (I highly doubt it ever would though). They're different enough that they could coexist if they removed the movie characters from the old ride imo. Also is it just me or would anyone else absolutely love if they updated the original to have a night sky projection as good as the underwater one in this ride?

About Star Wars; bring, it, ON!!!!!!! :D

flynnibus

Premium Member
Original Poster
The JS and Davy Jones figures in that attraction are insane. THOSE are AAs worth fighting for. Most of the video integrated scenes were done well, some, not so much. They should blend a bit better in person too vs on camera.

The 'diving' sequence looks like it was done pretty well. I guess there is a bit of moving backwards, etc to help disorent people a good bit too.

Shanghi certainly has it's bait to draw people in now for sure. And if people don't understand why crappy simple sustaining refurbs aren't enough for attractions like Space Mountain, or BTMRR like we've gotten.. I hope you finally understand why. So much is possible yet WDW gets ' just keep it running' more often than not.

Wendy Pleakley

And if people don't understand why crappy simple sustaining refurbs aren't enough for attractions like Space Mountain, or BTMRR like we've gotten.. I hope you finally understand why. So much is possible yet WDW gets ' just keep it running' more often than not.

I hear this. I've been complaining about the lack of a wow factor from Disney ever since I went on Pooh's Hunny Hunt in 2002, and realizing they just aren't raising the bar stateside like they could be.

dweezil78

And if people don't understand why crappy simple sustaining refurbs aren't enough for attractions like Space Mountain, or BTMRR like we've gotten.. I hope you finally understand why. So much is possible yet WDW gets ' just keep it running' more often than not.

WDW has both the blessing and curse of having 4 parks, countless resorts, water parks, etc. With so much to do and so much built up already, there's not a burning need to pour $$$ into development. But you shouldn't ignore the fact that there is construction going on everywhere with Avatar (+ RoL and night upgrades), Star Wars Land, Toy Story (meh, but it's still something) while the resorts get cool upgrades like Trader Sam's and Disney Springs continues to be built up. That's gotta count for something.

Would it be nice for SM and BTMRR to get even more plussed up then they were? Well yeah, sure... Can't have it all I guess! :p

futurecastmembr

My favorite part was when the ride vehicle went from the battle outside into one of the interiors of the ships where its flooded out. Gorgeous. I think Soarin' works great in their Adventureland equivalent land too.

However, I really disagree with the idea the integrating screens is the only way to make a modern attraction and I find it really unfortunate that it is becoming the standard for every new attraction. I never understood why movies can build gargantuan sets in soundstages only to be torn down, but we never see truly large scale environments in show buildings for attractions. Imagine the Tron building with a set that takes up the whole thing and riding through that instead of a dark room with glow in the dark cut outs. It looks like you're riding through a techno salad instead of in an arena on the grid. I love the ride vehicles though.

Their Tomorrowland exteriors should be used as inspiration for a refresh of Epcot's Future World.

friedriches

However, I really disagree with the idea the integrating screens is the only way to make a modern attraction and I find it really unfortunate that it is becoming the standard for every new attraction. I never understood why movies can build gargantuan sets in soundstages only to be torn down, but we never see truly large scale environments in show buildings for attractions. Imagine the Tron building with a set that takes up the whole thing and riding through that instead of a dark room with glow in the dark cut outs. It looks like you're riding through a techno salad instead of in an arena on the grid. I love the ride vehicles though.

Blessing and a curse: computers can deliver very realistic environments and details for a fraction of the cost of the real equivalent. What's happened in film over the last 30 years is now happening in theme parks. Tron's "sets" were largely the colored screens you see in the making-ofs of the Star Wars prequels (there, too, an example of vast chroma key use). Very rarely do they build gargantuan sets the way they did even in the late 90s. Seemingly every action film that I've seen in the last 3 years uses computers extensively... I'm not even talking about the Marvel movies. The Revenant would not have been possible without the use of extensive digital content. The trend will only continue to grow in the theme park world, because of the near limitless capabilities of the tools.

However, there is a balance to the art of using these tools. To accomplish the most realistic result, you must have some piece of reality attached. In the case of the theme park attractions, AAs and framing decor attempt to be that framing.

WDI appears to have learned from their first and previous attempt, Ratatouille. (I have ridden it multiple times, and while I really enjoyed the attraction, it's clear that they had several kinks to work out.) As we continue to push forward into this new generation of attractions as art, the best ones will be those that can accomplish the seamless fusion of practical and generated content as one unit. (See: The Force Awakens) This seems to be a great step in that direction, and I cannot wait to see what the results are in the Star Wars attraction, as I'm sure marni is 100% in the know as to the direction that ride.

Mike S

Also, I just wanted to say something.

Battle for the Sunken Treasure is a ride based on a movie based on a ride.
Rideception!!!
IPception!!!
My favorite part was when the ride vehicle went from the battle outside into one of the interiors of the ships where its flooded out. Gorgeous. I think Soarin' works great in their Adventureland equivalent land too.

Their Tomorrowland exteriors should be used as inspiration for a refresh of Epcot's Future World.
The sets you speak of are only built to look good on camera not to last like a set in a theme park.
Blessing and a curse: computers can deliver very realistic environments and details for a fraction of the cost of the real equivalent. What's happened in film over the last 30 years is now happening in theme parks. Tron's "sets" were largely the colored screens you see in the making-ofs of the Star Wars prequels (there, too, an example of vast chroma key use). Very rarely do they build gargantuan sets the way they did even in the late 90s. Seemingly every action film that I've seen in the last 3 years uses computers extensively... I'm not even talking about the Marvel movies. The Revenant would not have been possible without the use of extensive digital content. The trend will only continue to grow in the theme park world, because of the near limitless capabilities of the tools.

However, there is a balance to the art of using these tools. To accomplish the most realistic result, you must have some piece of reality attached. In the case of the theme park attractions, AAs and framing decor attempt to be that framing.

WDI appears to have learned from their first and previous attempt, Ratatouille. (I have ridden it multiple times, and while I really enjoyed the attraction, it's clear that they had several kinks to work out.) As we continue to push forward into this new generation of attractions as art, the best ones will be those that can accomplish the seamless fusion of practical and generated content as one unit. (See: The Force Awakens) This seems to be a great step in that direction, and I cannot wait to see what the results are in the Star Wars attraction, as I'm sure marni is 100% in the know as to the direction that ride.
I just want great and immersive rides. I'm fine with however they're made.

futurecastmembr

In my opinion watching screens in a theme park ride completely misses the point. Not saying its not fun or it can't be used as an effective tool, but it will never make me feel like I am immersed in a place. Why get on a vehicle and ride through screens. It just looks like you're riding through a place and then suddenly theres a tv in the background. Maybe not a popular opinion but I hate it.

I would like to see more of an evolution and modernization of the dark ride like Indiana Jones.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
Original Poster
WDW has both the blessing and curse of having 4 parks, countless resorts, water parks, etc. With so much to do and so much built up already, there's not a burning need to pour $$$ into development. But you shouldn't ignore the fact that there is construction going on everywhere with Avatar (+ RoL and night upgrades), Star Wars Land, Toy Story (meh, but it's still something) while the resorts get cool upgrades like Trader Sam's and Disney Springs continues to be built up. That's gotta count for something.

Would it be nice for SM and BTMRR to get even more plussed up then they were? Well yeah, sure... Can't have it all I guess! :p

1) I didn't say nothing was happening - so stop that strawman right there
2) The comment was not on the volume of activity but what you actually get as the output

WDW is not the flagship of what Disney can do. It's been falling flat in service for years now, its been falling flat in innovation, and its a train wreck in vision. Attractions like Mystic Manor, RSR, Radiator Springs, BTMRR refurb at DLR, and now these Shanghi attractions are illustrating what the company can do. And WDW keeps getting crap. The peter pan updates and HM stand out to me in recent years as the only ones even in the same zipcode in terms of keeping Disney in the 'awe' category. The castle projections had promise, but is being let down creatively.

Yet all the while Disney is shaking everyone down for dollars everywhere they can. Hopefully the patterns will force people to wise up.

dweezil78

In my opinion watching screens in a theme park ride completely misses the point.

I'm not a huge fan of screens when they're the sole means of storytelling (at that point, just go to a movie theater) -- but when it's tightly integrated into elaborate sets and used right I think it can be great. You may be right, this may look totally unconvincing in person compared to how it shows up on camera. I have a feeling, based on the gut reactions of riders of letting out those loud 'WOWWWS' that it's pretty dang cool though.

I mentioned it up-thread, but I still think Spiderman absolutely crushes it in this dept -- and that was back in 1999.

There are some seriously amazing looking sets and AAs in the Shanghai Pirates ride and it looks like they are using crazy dome projections for some of those more immersive moments. I hope to someday see it with my own eyes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom