The Shanghai Disneyland spoiler rich attraction preview thread!

Brer Panther

After I watched the Peter Pan's Flight video, I clicked the link for this expecting similar updates. Unfortunately, its identical to the WDW/HKDL version. And from what I can tell from this admittedly low quality video, it didn't seem to have any notable updates at all. You would think they'd update a ride that's the better half of 2 decades old in some respect. It really surprises me how they decided to update one classic, but not the other.
I did notice that the "Bouncing With Tigger" sequence had a pair of swinging foilage-covered doors. Do the Magic Kingdom and Hong Kong versions have them?

Donaldfan1934

Blessing and a curse: computers can deliver very realistic environments and details for a fraction of the cost of the real equivalent. What's happened in film over the last 30 years is now happening in theme parks. Tron's "sets" were largely the colored screens you see in the making-ofs of the Star Wars prequels (there, too, an example of vast chroma key use). Very rarely do they build gargantuan sets the way they did even in the late 90s. Seemingly every action film that I've seen in the last 3 years uses computers extensively... I'm not even talking about the Marvel movies. The Revenant would not have been possible without the use of extensive digital content. The trend will only continue to grow in the theme park world, because of the near limitless capabilities of the tools.

However, there is a balance to the art of using these tools. To accomplish the most realistic result, you must have some piece of reality attached. In the case of the theme park attractions, AAs and framing decor attempt to be that framing.

WDI appears to have learned from their first and previous attempt, Ratatouille. (I have ridden it multiple times, and while I really enjoyed the attraction, it's clear that they had several kinks to work out.) As we continue to push forward into this new generation of attractions as art, the best ones will be those that can accomplish the seamless fusion of practical and generated content as one unit. (See: The Force Awakens) This seems to be a great step in that direction, and I cannot wait to see what the results are in the Star Wars attraction, as I'm sure marni is 100% in the know as to the direction that ride.
Agreed. If you're gonna use screens at all nowadays, they have to intermingle with practical effects. Otherwise, you might as well save your money and go to a local movie theater. While I feel similarly about practical effects in movies, I don't feel as strongly about it as I do with theme parks. This is mainly because you are supposed to be watching the movie rather than be in it. That's why, if done right, CG and practical effects can blend together because its all happening on a screen. When you're looking at a screen in a theme park ride, however, its clear that none of it's actually there if you use it as the primary medium for a ride instead of practical effects.

friedriches

In my opinion watching screens in a theme park ride completely misses the point. Not saying its not fun or it can't be used as an effective tool, but it will never make me feel like I am immersed in a place. Why get on a vehicle and ride through screens. It just looks like you're riding through a place and then suddenly theres a tv in the background. Maybe not a popular opinion but I hate it.

I wasn't condemning your opinion at all! Projection effects have been used in WDI for a very long time; obviously Haunted Mansion's Madame Leota or Hatbox Ghost being two very early examples. Most of that ride (HM), when you think about it, relys on screens and illusions of light. So many attractions use it here or there, from Spaceship Earth to Splash Mountain, and Everest in between.

However, I can understand the differentiation of these small examples from a projection screen with fully-rendered video content... and that was my point. Being able to use video content and integrate it successfully (see: Mystic Manor, whose finale is almost entirely pre-rendered content, or the new castle walkthrough here in this thread) will continue to be the standard they must fight to maintain going forward as they attempt to properly take advantage of all the tools available to them.

It should be noted, though, in the case of large screens with pre-rendered content (aka POTC SDL), I'm sure being in the room and feeling the scale of IMAX-size screens and the complementary motion synchronized to the video will feel MUCH different than simply seeing a TV in the back of the room (or even seeing said screens on a computer screen on a recorded video). As I said, I've seen the effectiveness of these tools in an attraction of Ratatouille's caliber. I can only imagine where they have taken it from there.

EDIT: Meant to say this: But hey, if you don't like it- that's totally fine! I hope just as much as you that practical environments continue to get richer and richer with every new attraction.

dweezil78

1) I didn't say nothing was happening - so stop that strawman right there
2) The comment was not on the volume of activity but what you actually get as the output

WDW is not the flagship of what Disney can do. It's been falling flat in service for years now, its been falling flat in innovation, and its a train wreck in vision. Attractions like Mystic Manor, RSR, Radiator Springs, BTMRR refurb at DLR, and now these Shanghi attractions are illustrating what the company can do. And WDW keeps getting crap. The peter pan updates and HM stand out to me in recent years as the only ones even in the same zipcode in terms of keeping Disney in the 'awe' category. The castle projections had promise, but is being let down creatively.

Yet all the while Disney is shaking everyone down for dollars everywhere they can. Hopefully the patterns will force people to wise up.

I meant more generally speaking... Not an attack on you. Just general consensus on WDW. I think Orlando just feels the change less because there's so much existing real estate to take into consideration, maintain, update, etc., that's all.

Mike S

1) I didn't say nothing was happening - so stop that strawman right there
2) The comment was not on the volume of activity but what you actually get as the output

WDW is not the flagship of what Disney can do. It's been falling flat in service for years now, its been falling flat in innovation, and its a train wreck in vision. Attractions like Mystic Manor, RSR, Radiator Springs, BTMRR refurb at DLR, and now these Shanghi attractions are illustrating what the company can do. And WDW keeps getting crap. The peter pan updates and HM stand out to me in recent years as the only ones even in the same zipcode in terms of keeping Disney in the 'awe' category. The castle projections had promise, but is being let down creatively.

Yet all the while Disney is shaking everyone down for dollars everywhere they can. Hopefully the patterns will force people to wise up.
The Peter Pan queue update? Not very useful to me since I only ride it with FP. Not worth it otherwise imo.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Original Poster
I meant more generally speaking... Not an attack on you. Just general consensus on WDW. I think Orlando just feels the change less because there's so much existing real estate to take into consideration, maintain, update, etc., that's all.

I certainly agree that the 'infrastructure' side of WDW is grossly overlooked when it comes to how much Disney puts into WDW.. and undervalued by guests because they just blindly assume all that stuff. And I agree with the idea that people forget about activity because what THEY want isn't getting done (you see this in DLR too.. whining DL hasn't gotten anything while billions are being spent right across the esplanade). My commentary was more to the point about when Disney does take attractions down for not just upkeep, but actual show refreshes... the level of the output has been largely lackluster.

Donaldfan1934

I did notice that the "Bouncing With Tigger" sequence had a pair of swinging foilage-covered doors. Do the Magic Kingdom and Hong Kong versions have them?
Yes, it's in both. I can't believe they didn't they didn't change a thing about this ride. There was so much potential for a PPF type improvement.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Original Poster
The Peter Pan queue update? Not very useful to me since I only ride it with FP. Not worth it otherwise imo.

The queue shows how the company can still put out attractions that actually impress you and add in ways that are distinguishing. When one wants to talk about the business.. you should still eval and respect work even if it's a topic that may not directly relate or be consumed by you :)

Stripes

Premium Member
Can they Keep the classic and build this one also at Disneyland? WOW, is this possibly the greatest attraction built in the 21st century, anywhere?

How do the boats work? Are they the omnimover concept we saw where they can control the point of view of the guest by turning the boat in place?
No, this is definitely not an omnimover system. Omnimover doesn't allow for variable speeds, which this ride has. Also, I know it's not been implemented into any other omnimover ride system (though I think it may be possible), but the ride vehicles also have pitch and roll movement, in addition to yaw movement (Previous omnimovers, to the best of my knowledge have only had yaw).

This ride system sounds a lot more like Disney's patent for: "Amusement park ride with underwater-controlled boats"
http://www.google.com/patents/EP2505241A1?cl=en

It fits the bill perfectly.

No Name

Okay I could go on forever but here are a few things I have to say. No new photos or updates in this post. I have so much to say though, so many thoughts. I'd like to say it all, but don't need to clog up the thread.

I'm the kind of person who has opinions on the height, color, and detail of a new street curb, so seeing an entire new park is a lot to take in.

In summary, it generally looks excellent so far.

These scenes look amazing. I'm assuming the boats must be on some type of track/movement system to keep everything coordinated instead of the standard water conduit?

Yes. Basically, each boat is connected to two tracks. The front is connected to one and the bottom to the other. This not only controls each precise motion (unlike WDW's current boat rides) but also allows each boat to rotate and even go backwards.

From the videos, it appears that this movement is used pretty well. While there is some kind of allure and free feel to propelled motion, so much more can be done with this system.

Roarin Rapids area

I love that there's kind of a ropes course / climbing course inside of the park. Looks very fun and more adventurous than your typical walking trail.

Oh course we're still waiting for a Roaring Rapids video. That's one that I'm very excited about.

The queue shows how the company can still put out attractions that actually impress you and add in ways that are distinguishing.

One thing about Shanghai that I've been less than thrilled about is the lack of interactive or even really interesting queues. Of course we've yet to see them all and some look nice, particularly Soarin's. Others, like The Many Adventures's, looks pretty boring, especially the outside portion. I'm especially wondering what SDMT's queue is, particularly if it is the same as MK's.

Again, I've only seen a tiny snapshot of the queues, so that's something I'll have to look for more on. And it'll be one of my big questions for @BrianLo .

Last edited:

Mike S

Having just watched certain parts of the video (skipping Frozen) this park looks fantastic. Crystal Grotto is like a brand new Storybook Land Canal Boats. Snow White walkthrough looks kind of neat too and of course the rides. Their Tomorrowland look is absolutely perfect.

BrianLo

And WDW still has. Looks like it.

Alright - I knew there were a few odd choices going on, there will be a few nit picky flaws I have that can be easily fixed in the future. Seems strange to build a massive theater and use the more temporary production that's already been replaced in DL. I wonder what they were originally planning to use the facility for.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Also an idea what the Star Wars Land E should be like. Minus the water.

The integration of screens and actual props I thought was quite effective. Have to wonder if we'll see similar integration (with regards to screens and actual props) in Na'vi River Journey to create the rich depth seen in some of the concept art which would be almost impossible to replicate with actual props alone.

Uncle Lupe

The integration of screens and actual props I thought was quite effective. Have to wonder if we'll see similar integration (with regards to screens and actual props) in Na'vi River Journey to create the rich depth seen in some of the concept art which would be almost impossible to replicate with actual props alone.
You beat me, that was my train of thought also. Gives me hope for a great ride given the possible short ride time. We were just given a glimpse of what will be used in the Na'vi cruise.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom