The Seas with Nemo & Friends getting a makeover?

Siren

Original Poster
I guess my perspective is completely different... I found the original pavilion with an overview into the creation of the seas, then transporting guest to Seabase Alpha was absolutely amazing... I was intrigued and loved exploring the exhibits... Of course I am not accompanied by toddlers or easily bored children. The new Nemo version I skip most of the time because it is just so dumbed down... I guess if I was 3-7 I would like it... maybe...
I enjoy visiting The Seas with Nemo but the overall experience is sort of lacking. We all know that Disney can do better. I really wish I could have seen The Living Seas and Seabase Alpha. Now that I know what was there before, I would love to see some version of it come back.

And, I just realized that Finding Dory has not been released in the UK, yet. They shouldn't have to wait so long.

Siren

Original Poster
Agreed. To me the old exhibit was so very dry. (Ha!) Turtle talk and nemo ride are improvements. Without them there was nothing at the living seas I couldn't find at my local aquarium in Boston, so we'd usually skip. (As members of the New England Aquarium we end up going 4 or 5 times a year!)

Still was an amazing aquarium much like the NEAQ, but now it is an amazing disney aquarium that we rarely skip at epcot.

I DO get the dumbing down of Epcot. But in this case, the tie in to Nemo only minimally dumbs it down while making it much more fun.
Wow. So, you're another one who prefers The Seas with Nemo. We all know that Nemo is not going anywhere, especially with the success of Finding Dory -- it's early but I totally expect some of Epcot's billions to be spent here for upgrades, preferably a total revamp.

Siren

Original Poster
Agreed. It could be a world-class learning center with Nemo and friends as guides to teach about the oceans, ecology, etc.

I'm hoping that after the rumored changes to UoE and that area of the park, the attention will turn to Seas and Imagination, in particular. Both are a shadow of their former selves, but could be truly amazing and fun attractions again. We ride Nemo mainly because it is a chance to sit down for a few minutes and the track through the aquarium is pretty cool.
Great comment @KikoKea! *sigh* Epcot needs so much stuff, so I totally agree that there are much higher priorities there that deserve to be taken care of first.

But, The Seas w/Nemo has the most powerful IP -- which drives investment. Disney would capitalize on this like they did with Frozen but the interest is just not there among guests.

Regardless of how any of us feel about Nemo and The Seas, there's no reason to believe this pavilion is anywhere on Disney's radar for any significant changes. Nor should it in my opinion, as there are greater needs in FW.

It wouldn't matter if Finding Dory beat the Avatar record, none of that money is coming back into the parks. I don't think the typical guest even knows the difference anyway, and I wouldn't be surprised if the pavilion isn't already seeing more traffic thanks to the movie.

On to Imagination and Energy...
Ouch, but okay. I totally agree that there are higher priorities but Finding Dory was a surprise hit for Disney. I was also wondering if The Seas had seen an increase in traffic because of Finding Dory.

DisneyFans4Life

My 2 year old daughter absolutely loves the "Nemo ride" and asks to go on it everytime we're at Epcot. I don't recall Seabase Alpha so I honestly don't have anything to compare The Seas to, but I would say I enjoy the ride as well as the entire exhibit. I'm a home aquarium fan, so being able to see some of the tanks they have setup is very enjoyable.

KikoKea

that's a tough one. I'd put Imagination in there above UoE. At least UoE has somewhat of an old Epcot Center feel to it.
You are right- Imagination is an embarrassment- so is having an empty WoL pavilion. I just look at Seas and see so much potential that is not being realized, but it is not as bad as those other two.

MrToadFan55

Sorry to BUMP this thread but I was just at Epcot this morning and saw this and took it on the monorail to MK
55520298-F8A0-44C2-B9E6-BD1D098A6AC2.jpeg

Mainahman

I enjoy visiting The Seas with Nemo but the overall experience is sort of lacking. We all know that Disney can do better. I really wish I could have seen The Living Seas and Seabase Alpha. Now that I know what was there before, I would love to see some version of it come back.

And, I just realized that Finding Dory has not been released in the UK, yet. They shouldn't have to wait so long.
My first trip in 2001 to Epcot was still with seabase alpha. Far superior even as much of a "Nemo" fan that we are, heck I've got my own reef here at home. I love Nemo, but miss the seabase elevators.

jimbojones

My first trip in 2001 to Epcot was still with seabase alpha. Far superior even as much of a "Nemo" fan that we are, heck I've got my own reef here at home. I love Nemo, but miss the seabase elevators.
you mean hydrolators :) Seabase Alpha was awesome it really felt like you were being taken to another place, which is what Disney does so well when they try. Craming Nemo in there really took it down a notch. It is also profoundly devoid of life compared to what it was before the Nemo overlay. Seabase Alpha was chock full of stuff to look at and you could easily spend hours there ( and not just in lines). Stepping out of the pavilion was jarring becuase it did such a good job of making you feel like you were in an actual submarine research facility. Finding Nemo is a great film that has stood the test of time but it was a terrible conversion of the Living Seas to the Seas with Nemo.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom