The Resort TV channel is going away

zombiebbq

We all have our little pieces of bygone Disney days that we love and wish we could cling to. I have lots personally and know you can't fight time / modernization, But this will be missed. I loved the cheesy videos hyping parks and attractions, plus the music. Heck I'll throw on a disney vacation planning video from the early/mid 90s just for fun and nostalgia.

MickeyLuv'r

The information is only one piece, which by the way is being downgraded here. The other pieces are the aesthetics (graphics) used and music. Both were downgraded. The new feature is poorly designed, visually speaking. It’s a cheap cookie cut replacement that they just slapped screenshots from the regular resort TV into.
Multiple times the music of the old/new channels have been mentioned in this thread, and that the new music isn't Disney music.
But wasn't the old the channel the one that played music from the Nutcracker Suite?

That always seemed out of place to me. Nutcracker isn't Disney music. It is Christmas music, so it is a little odd to have to hear an endless loop of Christmas music 11 months of the year, when there is plenty of Disney music to play.

Touchdown

Multiple times the music of the old/new channels have been mentioned in this thread, and that the new music isn't Disney music.
But wasn't the old the channel the one that played music from the Nutcracker Suite?

That always seemed out of place to me. Nutcracker isn't Disney music. It is Christmas music, so it is a little odd to have to hear an endless loop of Christmas music 11 months of the year, when there is plenty of Disney music to play.
except the nutcracker suite is a Fantasia section (dancing mushrooms, flowers.). It’s as Disney as the Sorcerer’s Apprentice and Night on Bald Mountain.

correcaminos

I always forget at first about Nutcracker being from Fantasia. It did play AFAIK or recall and as much as I like that song, it felt odd in June lol.

The new music isn't Disney music. Ours was fitting for the resort we were in (VGF) and enjoyed it playing on all 3 TVs upon check in. We were tired and just chilled for a while listening. My 14yo loved it and is a massive Disney fan so while it wasn't Disney music he said it fit. Much like the music the piano player at MK plays isn't always Disney stuff but it fits the whole Main Street vibe.

But it just sits there with a list of the parks and music playing with no information unless you're interacting with it.

That's fine but it has no utility unless you are interacting with it. It also doesn't show the weather or bus information or other special event information. Sure it's interactive but it's still worse lol

It plays generic non-Disney music now.
I agree with you. I think a lot of the people responding aren't understanding the difference. I really liked the info that was right there and available as I got ready for the park, made coffee, etc. Didn't have to search or mess, just there and convenient.
Also, a lot of people are simply not observant.
And some are just trying to argue technology. They don't understand what you are saying, and don't look or notice.

correcaminos

I agree with you. I think a lot of the people responding aren't understanding the difference. I really liked the info that was right there and available as I got ready for the park, made coffee, etc. Didn't have to search or mess, just there and convenient.
Also, a lot of people are simply not observant.
And some are just trying to argue technology. They don't understand what you are saying, and don't look or notice.
Or some of us really just.... didn't like or use the channel? Truly we all have different opinions. Go check out the MSEP thread for more polarized thoughts. We really don't watch TV much but turned TVs on for the music. Before I turned away asap due to noise. So... different strokes I guess.

Minnesota disney fan

I'm not too surprised that the current leadership (?) at disney stopped this iconic show.
We always enjoyed turning it on for information and entertainment with Stacey! It was a part of the disney experience which we looked forward to on each visit. Disney is rapidly eroding the little fun things that are loved by many, not including the big fun things that are gone too. It's very sad what disney is becoming, IMO.

BeentoallDParks

Throughout the 1970s, if you drove to the parks there were all these signs telling you to turn on a certain AM radio channel, and there was a program on a loop that told you about all the things there were going to be for you to do. Back then the Orlando area wasn’t so built up, so kids knew the long car ride was almost over when Dad could turn on the radio station. It was so exciting. Arriving at Disney got a lot less magical when that was removed. I STILL miss it. No one can say losing these things doesn’t matter in the long run.

MickeyLuv'r

I always forget at first about Nutcracker being from Fantasia. It did play AFAIK or recall and as much as I like that song, it felt odd in June lol.

The new music isn't Disney music. Ours was fitting for the resort we were in (VGF) and enjoyed it playing on all 3 TVs upon check in. We were tired and just chilled for a while listening. My 14yo loved it and is a massive Disney fan so while it wasn't Disney music he said it fit. Much like the music the piano player at MK plays isn't always Disney stuff but it fits the whole Main Street vibe.
Some of the WDW music we enjoy is also not classic Disney songs. I find the bus music annoying, but the...I'm not quite sure what to call it but the music from the Hollywood Blvd area of HS. The loop includes "I'm beginning to See the Light by Harry James/Kitty Kallen. (Duke Ellington/Ella Fitzgerald also did a great version of same song!)

I'm open to the idea that the new music might be enjoyable. Or maybe just kinda...ignorable background noise.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
I'm all for advancing tech but why would you use a native smart tv UI over any streaming stick? It's an infinitely better experience with a streaming device for such a low cost. Smart tvs are by design slow downed and updated. Every smart tv I ever have owned inevitably slows down. Any TV without smart technology runs as well as it did when I first got it.

The only difference is one is a "dumb tv", and the other is a smart tv.

This is a move Disney is making though, but I wonder how fast it will be phased out.
Streaming sticks are bugged and slow down all the time, they're no different than a smart tv.

Anyway, I dont see this as a big deal. Things change.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
But it just sits there with a list of the parks and music playing with no information unless you're interacting with it.

That's fine but it has no utility unless you are interacting with it. It also doesn't show the weather or bus information or other special event information. Sure it's interactive but it's still worse lol

It plays generic non-Disney music now.

Is it really THAT big of a deal though? It's just a looping channel.

spock8113

Takes too much xtra money and too many extra people that costs too many extra dollars to churn out what is considered 80's cliche.
I won't miss and yet I will.

Cmdr_Crimson

Throughout the 1970s, if you drove to the parks there were all these signs telling you to turn on a certain AM radio channel, and there was a program on a loop that told you about all the things there were going to be for you to do. Back then the Orlando area wasn’t so built up, so kids knew the long car ride was almost over when Dad could turn on the radio station. It was so exciting. Arriving at Disney got a lot less magical when that was removed. I STILL miss it. No one can say losing these things doesn’t matter in the long run.
Youtube had this....

TwilightZone

Now this one makes me sad, even though I am a Disneylander, I loved the resort tv channel and would watch it all the time growing up. I fear they will do the same thing there as well. Pity.

muddyrivers

This is a real throw back, but does anyone else remember when there was a TV station at the resorts that played audio from WCBS AM 880 in New York? That seemed pretty random to me. And it was either the same channel or another one near it, but the video was a radar loop of the area so you could see the weather in real time (before the days of everyone having an app they could check on their phones or their laptops).

Indy_UK

Don't forget that all the rooms will soon be receiving 'Hey Disney' on all the amazon Echos in room so they dont need so many services saying the same information

Imhere

We used to have the Resort TV station on all the time because that was the only place to get the info we wanted.

Now, all that info is other places where you can access it quicker.

Last trip at Coronado Springs we loved the resort specific music and played it all the time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom