The Red Button Option

It Is What It Is

no problem. So all college sports outside of basketball are paid for by college football. Many of those programs are ran in the red (deep red) as it is. So no money coming in they will have to cut many of the sports, maybe even football. Many of the california schools are already in trouble (stanford ucla are two), the SEC for one is going to do everything possible to play football due to the billions of money it generates, where the loss of money would be catastrophic. As far as schools ending football, dont think the power 5 conferences. Think of the teams outside of it.
Im not the best at explaining it, but when my sources do... its terrifying if you love college sports.
BTW the power 5 has been screwing up everything from the beginning.. instead of being unified and basically leaving the ncaa and starting their own thing, they have stuck in their own conferences.

ppete1975, thank you! I knew football paid for a lot of the other sports programs like volleyball, lacrosse, etc. But I hadn't given any thought to the prolonged effect on colleges programs if there wasn't a college football season this year. It very well could be very damaging. Thank you. Oh what a crazy year this is.

It Is What It Is

Disney is far better positioned to bounce back from Covid than literally all other media conglomerates. AT&T and Comcast are saddled with far bigger debt loads than Disney and already both are facing pressure to sell or spin off assets. No such pressure is being applied to Disney, and for good reason. They have stronger liquidity and cash reserves than any other media company. There's *a reason* no credible financial analysts are calling for people to sell their holdings in Disney (by credible I don't mean tech shill Rich Greenfield).
I know you are an knowledgeable person, your intellect shows in your posts. I am curious to your take on my concerns: If these next few earnings calls are not well received by Wall St, the stock price could spiral over the next 9 to 12 months. If that happens like when it was around 80 a few months ago (late March - early April), are you concerned about a tech company, like Apple, trying to buy Disney?

Slpy3270

I know you are an knowledgeable person, your intellect shows in your posts. I am curious to your take on my concerns: If these next few earnings calls are not well received by Wall St, the stock price could spiral over the next 9 to 12 months. If that happens like when it was around 80 a few months ago (late March - early April), are you concerned about a tech company, like Apple, trying to buy Disney?

If ViacomCBS isn't being courted by tech companies at the moment, I sure as heck don't think Disney is up for grabs as well. Not a single tech company is interested in buying media companies right now, because it's not in their business.

There's no hostile takeover happening. It's a wet fantasy shared only by Silicon Valley billionaires.

I think Chapek said the parks wouldn’t be open if they weren’t making a profit. It’s definitely not sustainable for non Disney hotels and maybe even some Disney hotels.

Chapek didn't say the parks needed to be profitable to open; he just said they needed to cover their variable expenses. It's likely that, at such low crowd levels, the parks still aren't covering all their fixed costs.

In other words, Disney is losing LESS money on the parks now than they were a month ago, but they're probably still losing money.

It Is What It Is

If ViacomCBS isn't being courted by tech companies at the moment, I sure as heck don't think Disney is up for grabs as well. Not a single tech company is interested in buying media companies right now, because it's not in their business.

There's no hostile takeover happening. It's a wet fantasy shared only by Silicon Valley billionaires.
So if Apple bought Disney and sold off ABC, cable networks, etc., you are saying Apple has no interest in the other three segments? You don't think Disney+, Hulu fits in their wheel house? And when Parks are profitable, why not have those?

Iger himself said that if Jobs had stayed alive there was the possibility of a merger. I'm trying to understand your rationale, ViacomCBS and Disney are two very different animals. Isn't Disney one of the most trusted brands on the planet? I think plenty of companies want that.

Remember the Verizon rumors a few years ago? I believe there was some truth behind that even though it made no sense on paper.

Why do think Disney isn't a desirable target minus the networks?

celluloid

Chapek didn't say the parks needed to be profitable to open; he just said they needed to cover their variable expenses. It's likely that, at such low crowd levels, the parks still aren't covering all their fixed costs.

In other words, Disney is losing LESS money on the parks now than they were a month ago, but they're probably still losing money.

Well said.
If they have to shut down or reduce things further will hurt them more as well. Now they have invested in procedure and are paying their present CMs again from front line to management.

Disneyland prepared and reopened Downtown Disney and had to close after all that for only two days of operation with no reopening of Cali theme parks in sight.

lazyboy97o

So if Apple bought Disney and sold off ABC, cable networks, etc., you are saying Apple has no interest in the other three segments? You don't think Disney+, Hulu fits in their wheel house? And when Parks are profitable, why not have those?

Iger himself said that if Jobs had stayed alive there was the possibility of a merger. I'm trying to understand your rationale, ViacomCBS and Disney are two very different animals. Isn't Disney one of the most trusted brands on the planet? I think plenty of companies want that.

Remember the Verizon rumors a few years ago? I believe there was some truth behind that even though it made no sense on paper.

Iger has this odd need for people to think he is an innovator like Jobs.

The tech companies big enough to acquire a Disney are all under antitrust scrutiny around the world.

EricsBiscuit

After what they charged me for loaded fries at the Plaza Restaurant I expect them to make a massive profit!

Slpy3270

Disney treats those brands with the same respect and dignity as Marvel, Lucasfilm, Pixar, their own, etc. And they'll still make more money than any of those brands for years to come, so selling them off is a non-starter.

If Comcast is pivoting largely to streaming, why haven't they sold off NBC and their cable nets? Because they'll always make more money than streaming.

ppete1975

ppete1975, thank you! I knew football paid for a lot of the other sports programs like volleyball, lacrosse, etc. But I hadn't given any thought to the prolonged effect on colleges programs if there wasn't a college football season this year. It very well could be very damaging. Thank you. Oh what a crazy year this is.
Stanford currently has 36 sports including sailing, rowing and squash....

Sir_Cliff

Disney is far better positioned to bounce back from Covid than literally all other media conglomerates. AT&T and Comcast are saddled with far bigger debt loads than Disney and already both are facing pressure to sell or spin off assets. No such pressure is being applied to Disney, and for good reason. They have stronger liquidity and cash reserves than any other media company. There's *a reason* no credible financial analysts are calling for people to sell their holdings in Disney (by credible I don't mean tech shill Rich Greenfield).
To be honest, I worry a little that this is a moment where the theme parks and resorts could become a unique concern for Disney's viability. They cost a lot to run whether anyone shows up or not, and presumably all the financial decisions they've made in recent years have assumed that division would continue to generate huge sums of cash. If Covid drags on for longer than people are anticipating meaning the parks either can't operate at a profitable level or at all, wouldn't it be harder for Disney to adapt its business model than companies less dependent on large numbers of people gathering in close proximity?

We're all assuming by some time early next year we'll all be fine, but there's no way of knowing that.

Figments Friend

Independent. @TheRealBobIger is running in 2020 with the goal of uniting the country. And guess who his running mate is!!
View media item 7434

So Bob, if you end up getting elected .....

Who is going to be running the Disney Company..??

There is no way the two of you could run the U.S. and still work for Mickey.

So who will be taking over?
Surely since you two will be planning on world domination you will need someone to replace you guys once you leave for the White House.

-

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom