The Red Button Option

HauntedMansionFLA

thats why i said at least parts of it. It will start... maybe delayed but i dont see any way college football gets to the bowl games. What might happen and you are already seeing aspects is the ncaa will be splintered through this. There is no central management that is running this, each conference is doing there own thing. I see some of the non power 5 maybe moving to spring this season, the power 5 (some have already announced) that they will start later and only play their conference this year. At that point you could have the possibility of the SEC (which is going to be stubborn, they want packed stadiums still) trying not to shut down football, the pac IF they start up prob shut down first few positives, big 12, big 10 (my opinion the safest conference), acc somewhere in the middle. You could have a situation where college football is on tv but its only the SEC and the big 10.
To me this was a great spot for the power 5 to become unified and dump the ncaa.
Sorry didnt mean to make this a football post.
This is when the president of the NCAA steps in and makes a call ( if he has the power to make that call to do so)

Joesixtoe

And this is the goal of those who would spread misinformation.
I know someone with first hand experience, went to New York to help out during the outbreak, came back and said not all were covid deaths, but counted as so. That's someone who left their family behind, traveled across country to help out during a major outbreak. This person comes back and says not all were covid deaths. They might be wrong, but I wasnt there, they were.

ppete1975

It doesn’t matter if the death rate is falling.
  1. More COVID cases means more beds and resources in hospital taken away from other needs like elective procedures, cancer treatment, labour and delivery/NICU.
  2. People who get COVID could very well experience permanent damage to their bodies after they have recovered.
  3. The herd immunity crap being peddled about will result in far more deaths and a prolonged recession/depression than is necessary
The parks, like FL, opened prematurely and there are folks who don’t care about the consequences and will distort the data to justify your worldview.
the herd immunity really takes a hit, when you see that people that have had it lose the anti bodies quickly. The biggest fear to me is i am afraid this could be a trojan horse style illness. Even if you never show symptoms, damage to your lungs and chances of clots may increase that shows up later.

ppete1975

This is when the president of the NCAA steps in and makes a call ( if he has the power to make that call to do so)
doesnt have the power, and will never happen. The power 5 has the power. Honestly college football is a huge mess, the more you look at it the more you see it cant continue operating like it does for another 10 years. And its all about money. Do you really think Alabama wants to share and money with North texas state? Texas paying for arkansas state?

Lilofan

When the layoffs come then I will be part of them so at this point my loyalty to the NDA is ....let's just say less effective. Not like I am giving trade secrets just some info on where they are headed from a thought process based upon publicly available data.

When I see most of my fellow cast furloughed, forced to go on unemployment , use PTO to try to eek out some normal pay then the company thanks them for their service in Aug/Sept (date rumor) by laying them off after the unemployment runs out then it is hard for me to "feel the magic" anymore. I came to Disney years ago and loved working here but as things get bad you are seeing how weak the leadership really is due to infighting and people trying to protect their "territory". I will be leaving soon and I hope it is by choice and not via pink slip.

Sorry Ultra-Disney fans to burst the bubble with a differing opinion on the RUMOR forum....LOL

This has been an interesting experiment to watch how fans react to news and information that challenges world views😂
If you leave by choice you will not be eligible to collect unemployment however it you are part of the future layoffs, you are eligible. Good luck to you.

ppete1975

When the layoffs come then I will be part of them so at this point my loyalty to the NDA is ....let's just say less effective. Not like I am giving trade secrets just some info on where they are headed from a thought process based upon publicly available data.

When I see most of my fellow cast furloughed, forced to go on unemployment , use PTO to try to eek out some normal pay then the company thanks them for their service in Aug/Sept (date rumor) by laying them off after the unemployment runs out then it is hard for me to "feel the magic" anymore. I came to Disney years ago and loved working here but as things get bad you are seeing how weak the leadership really is due to infighting and people trying to protect their "territory". I will be leaving soon and I hope it is by choice and not via pink slip.

Sorry Ultra-Disney fans to burst the bubble with a differing opinion on the RUMOR forum....LOL

This has been an interesting experiment to watch how fans react to news and information that challenges world views😂
Thats not disney. Thats corporate america. Especially when that company loses almost all of their diversified income. If you think about it Disney was pretty diversified. Sports, cruise lines, merchandise, films, theme parks, tv networks (espn and abc which both utilize sports), streaming media (this went up but isnt a huge profit maker to make up for the others)... who would have thought almost all of these would suddenly have the bottom fall out.
btw loyalty or not.... you dont understand what an NDA actually is if you think that if they lay you off you can choose to just ignore it, although i dont think thats what you meant.
Regardless, i hope you find something that makes you happy, although this is absolutely a horrible time to find a new job and anything middle class or above (didnt know how to term medium to higher wage jobs)
Good luck :(

Lilofan

Thats not disney. Thats corporate america. Especially when that company loses almost all of their diversified income. If you think about it Disney was pretty diversified. Sports, cruise lines, merchandise, films, theme parks, tv networks (espn and abc which both utilize sports), streaming media (this went up but isnt a huge profit maker to make up for the others)... who would have thought almost all of these would suddenly have the bottom fall out.
btw loyalty or not.... you dont understand what an NDA actually is if you think that if they lay you off you can choose to just ignore it, although i dont think thats what you meant.
Regardless, i hope you find something that makes you happy, although this is absolutely a horrible time to find a new job and anything middle class or above (didnt know how to term medium to higher wage jobs)
Good luck :(
I always believed and was taught a long time ago to save, invest and live below one's means. It's mostly a mindset and attitude. When the sky is falling and rains heavily, one can be better prepared.

_caleb

I know someone with first hand experience, went to New York to help out during the outbreak, came back and said not all were covid deaths, but counted as so. That's someone who left their family behind, traveled across country to help out during a major outbreak. This person comes back and says not all were covid deaths. They might be wrong, but I wasnt there, they were.
That's the thing- we all know someone with first hand experience. When the best data we have doesn't support what we're hearing anecdotally, we tend to look to "alternative" data that does.

denyuntilcaught

I know that the media pounds of the number of cases as the end all be all but people are going to get this and we need to treat people who get it and not prolong this to kill more people by other means than COVID.

The death rate in FL is falling daily and the heath dept is watching that as the main indicator....the media is about sensational stuff and ratings. The underlying data gives us a better handle on real information.

A few questions that no one is asking in the media.
Of these cases that were reported in March, April, May , June - do these people ever recover or become free of transmission after x weeks? Do you ever not have transmittable covid after recovery?
What does success look like? All I hear is fear and wear a mask or you will kill everyone
What happens if we never get a vaccine for this virus like many other viruses? Is this your new normal

You do touch on one good point - you never hear about the number of recoveries. That's one big metric that has really been forgotten in America, and yes, the media does play a role in that.

Speaking to some of my colleagues in newsrooms across the country and they all say the same thing - "we'll never have this good of a year again, so we're taking advantage of it."

TrainsOfDisney

I always believed and was taught a long time ago to save, invest and live below one's means. It's mostly a mindset and attitude. When the sky is falling and rains heavily, one can be better prepared.

So many of your posts are about money... do you realize that many people care about their job for more than money? It’s become part of our life and we’ve worked hard because we care about what we do and what we get to be a part of.

UNCgolf

100%. But also, data can be cut to tell any story you want it to tell. I am a firm, firm believer that this pandemic is the worst thing to ever happen to this country (well, after the 2016 election but the two go hand in hand and this isn't the right forum), and I do believe that we need to do a better job of taking care of each other during this time.

I also believe that there are people, entities, and figures behind the scenes that are preventing part of the full story from coming out.

It's terrible, but you think it's worse than the Civil War, the Spanish Flu pandemic, etc.?

_caleb

If you think about it Disney was pretty diversified. Sports, cruise lines, merchandise, films, theme parks, tv networks (espn and abc which both utilize sports)
Disney's business was not diversified enough. All of these things require people getting together in the same place in order to be produced or consumed. This is why I think Disney would be wise to focus on what they did originally and what they do best- animation.

Animation can be produced by remote/distributed teams, consumed by individuals safely distanced, and can entertain, educate, and inspire (while also selling ads). They have the platform in Disney+, and HUGE opportunities: with so many schools moving to virtual learning and so many businesses doing remote training, public health and safety videos, video games (again only better this time), etc.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom