"The Problem With Disney Fans"

erasure fan1

What is also critical is impartiality: A business analyst must not have any affinity toward any solution, but rather must be ruthlessly objective with regard to consideration of solutions. That's part of "The Problem With Disney Fans": So many of them think that because they have feelings about what they like or dislike that that qualifies them to analyze the business and its decisions. Nothing could be further from the truth. Having affinities (such as what the company used to do) actually is a detriment to analysis of the business.
Except that this is a "Disney fan" site. So if you are expecting in depth Disney business analysis, you are sadly in the wrong spot. On a fan site, everyone is qualified to agree with or criticize what Disney is doing. I don't agree with most of what you say on here. But does it matter? No, because your opinion is no more right or wrong than mine, or anyone else on this forum. Personally, I don't give a rats bum about affinities being a detriment to business analysis. I care about what I like. And if I don't like it then I'll say it. But that is kind of your fault if you take that as I'm claiming fact.

Zorro

There may be a lot of anecdotal evidence leading to the conclusion that Pirates (the ride) was based on Treasure Island (the book). I've never read anything to indicate that Walt was basing his attraction on Treasure Island, but that may indeed have been the case.

The attraction is clearly influenced by "Treasure Island" - "yo ho" and the "dead men tell no tales" hearken back to and/or imitate language used by Stevenson. X Atencio said so as such in interviews. However, it is not based on the book in the same way that "Tom Sawyer's Island" is based on the Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens book. Instead, POTC is derived from a multitude of sources and inspirations - history, tradition, lore, Howard Pyle artwork, novels by the likes of Stevenson and Sabatini, pirate cliches/stereotypes, whatever was floating around in Marc Davis' head, and definitely pirate themed movies. John Hench noted in interviews how various pirate movies proved to be influential to the development of the attraction.

WallyWorld

"Disney fans" are not the problem. Forum warriors are. Threads like the gondola thread., for example...(I have been scouring through after seeing them and wanted to learn more)....there is SO much great info/pics/plans at every stage and workings. Then there are the same old "jokes" repeated time after time and posting just to argue semantics.

Moderators warn....it continues...still not funny. I am just grateful people contributing new pics/info/ updates aren't run off.

Thanks to all who share so much.....so many contributors did a lot of work. If you look back, from permits and minimal info, there are contributors who drew up their ideas of how things might look....UNCANNY how well they did.

Rant over....

Zorro

That’s parody for you.
giphy.gif

bUU

A "Like" pointed me back to this earlier message which I read with new eyes this morning...
Success in consumer entertainment is not just blind random luck.
Indeed, which is why those who haven't actually run successful consumer entertainment enterprises the size and scale of Disney are incapable of offering useful insights about what would or would not bring about said "success", and instead could share only what everyone is equally qualified to opine, i.e., whether they themselves like or dislike something.

No, I'm pretty sure your posting proves yourself incorrect.
Coming from you, that means nothing. However, it is ironic that your own words, above, provided the context for me to make clear the delineation between what folks here can legitimately claim to understand (what they like and don't like) and what they cannot claim to understand (what brings about success in consumer entertainment).

It's why every good sampling tosses out the extremes... because they are not representative of typical.
Like a number of curmudgeons I could point out.

Except that this is a "Disney fan" site. So if you are expecting in depth Disney business analysis, you are sadly in the wrong spot.
I'm not in the wrong spot. What is in the wrong spot are lame attempts by Disney "fans" to perform business analysis rather than sharing what they like versus don't like.

Personally, I don't give a rats bum about affinities being a detriment to business analysis. I care about what I like.
You're correct that there is nothing wrong with fans sharing what they like and don't like; I've said that a dozen times. But that's not all that's going on, and as I indicated earlier, there is a broader issue here. Put plainly, echo chambers within which biased analysis is promulgated as legitimate analysis damage the community.

Last edited:

erasure fan1

You're correct that there is nothing wrong with fans sharing what they like and don't like; I've said that a dozen times. But that's not all that's going on, and as I indicated earlier, there is a broader issue here. Put plainly, echo chambers within which biased analysis is promulgated as legitimate analysis damage the community.
I get what you are saying. But is it really damaging the community? Maybe I'm naive to think that people are smart enough to realize they are on a fan site, on the internet, and nothing should be taken for more than just opinion. We all know, or should know, that biased analysis is the vast majority of any fan site. I'd wager a guess, that is part of why people come to sites like this. I guess you can either embrace the arm chair CEOing or you can't.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Is it possible there is so much “negativity” around now because Disney is doing a particularly bad job...right now?

Granted perception varies...but to assumed they are well managed is a huge leap to make ALL the time.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That's like saying that a few "harmless" sexist comments in the office isn't damaging to the workplace, since nothing a blowhard co-worker says should be taken for more than just opinion. There is a lot of evidence that online misinformation has a similarly damaging and similarly termed impact, but to avoid pointless argument I'll grant that the impact might be more subtle and might take longer to have its effect as compared to sexist banter in the workplace. It still has damaging effect.
That’s not at ALL like that.

Criticizing anything a stock company does as long as it’s not hateful or dangerous is a valid expression as an individual. Disney doesn’t have “feelings”...they sell mass produced product.

What is out of line is trying to shut down all discussions because someone PERSONALLY doesn’t want to believe that there are downsides to the operation. It’s immaturity...at a minimum.

Tom P.

That’s not at ALL like that.

Criticizing anything a stock company does as long as it’s not hateful or dangerous is a valid expression as an individual. Disney doesn’t have “feelings”...they sell mass produced product.

What is out of line is trying to shut down all discussions because someone PERSONALLY doesn’t want to believe that there are downsides to the operation. It’s immaturity...at a minimum.
Who do you think is actually trying to shut down discussion? If anything, those of us who tend to be more on the "pro-Disney" side of these discussions have been arguing in this thread that a variety of opinions and discussion are welcome and beneficial. If anyone is trying to shut down discussion, it is the side that is trying to argue that only the consensus of some elite group is relevant.

mharrington

Original Poster
The big reason why I brought this up is because I'm quite tired of the VAST number of comments here about the bad and very, VERY few numbers here on the good, almost as if the vocal minority know what's best for the company and that it should be catering to them and no one else.

I just couldn't describe it very well, until I came across Offhand Disney's video on this.

Last edited:

sedati

To be a "fan," I would expect one to be at least 51% positive. I don't see that from a large portion of regulars on this forum.
For many here I've just come to the realization that they actually hate theme parks. An odd conclusion to reach on a forum devoted to theme parks, but you can only hear someone complain about:
Lines
Heat
Crowds
Children
Walking
Standing
Waiting
Prices
and decide that theme parks are the last activity these people should participate in.
Not only that, but there seems to be too many who enjoy getting one over on the company they supposedly support. A few too many tricks for getting free stuff and cutting lines. Perhaps coming here is just a way to hone their skills at being a more effective outraged guest.

Epcot82Guy

I understand the confusion on negativity in a fan site. I think part of the issue with Disney, especially Walt Disney World, is how quickly they have changed some things recently. I've been a fan for years and on this forum for years. Many regular posters here have as well.

Longing for the past can be blind nostalgia. But, there is also a lot of evidence that the past people long for is 5 years ago or even less. That's not blind nostalgia. Disney (for better or worse) had chosen these actions and they timeline. So, that creates rifts.

I would challenge everyone to explain their feelings. Saying Disney is great without reason is just as suspect as saying everything is bad. Companies don't grow it their fans don't challenge them - assuming that feedback is constructive.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom