The People that don't get it.

wannabeBelle

33 more days for me!! WOO HOO I Am so excited!! I love the post about the couple who thinks 1 day should suffice for Disneyworld!! That gave me a really good chuckle. And Garyhoov I love your avatar!! Nice job!! Belle

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
Originally posted by wannabeBelle
And Garyhoov I love your avatar!! Nice job!! Belle

Thanks! I've been playing around with Photoshop. I may try to enter one of Main Street USA and Now Inc's contests at some point. (though I am a bit intimidated by the level of competition)

:wave:

ACE

I think most people who don't like WDW, probably think it's like any other "amusement park" and that's where they are mistaken. Also too many people wanna go and do as much as possible, trying to see all the shows and ride all the rides, in a short period of time.

I don't think this is how WDW should be enjoyed. You need to slow down and enjoy the ambience. The joy of WDW isn't just the shows or rides, it's the whole experience. Take in the theme of the area you're in, whether it's MGM, a country at Epcot, or Fantasy Land at MK. That's what makes WDW the "Happiest Place on Earth".

How many people out there have ever just sat on a bench on Main Street, with their favorite snack, and just soaked it all in. That's what WDW is all about. It's a total experience. Sights, sounds, smells, taste, and the wonderful feeling you get from just being there.

Anyway just my .02.

:wave: ACE

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
My roommate and suitemates don't understand. I have all the vacation planning videos from like '98 til now on our video tower and my roommate complained about the space they took up. I refused to take them down and put them somewhere else for her chick flicks to have space. I get such flack for being on here so much during the day between work and classes. I just tell them they're being naive for not seeing how great WDW really is. I've ALMOST converted one of them! She's going for thanksgiving and I'm slowly turning her. :drevil:

ACE

Originally posted by One Lil Spark
I get such flack for being on here so much during the day between work and classes. I just tell them they're being naive for not seeing how great WDW really is. I've ALMOST converted one of them! She's going for thanksgiving and I'm slowly turning her. :drevil:

Remember, with great power, comes great responsibility.:lol:

:wave: ACE

wdw100

Try giving a presentation about Imagineering in front of grade 10’s and having 3 rude people at the back laughing!!!!!! It’s probably because people stereotype Walt Disney World…they think every ride is It’s a Small World or Dumbo the Flying Elephant. It’s not like that…I hate when people think there so cool! Then this stupid guy asked me where my Mickey shirt(or something referring to clothing) was last week……Well…..I want to say to people like him and everybody who laughs at Disney….Walt Disney World attracts 40 million people a year…..So %&^*$$# (fill in any available comment)!

RPMdfw

For me, it's my best friend. Ironically, it's because of him that I first visited the world. In 2000, he and his partner moved to Orlando for work. We're very close and got tired of keeping touch over the phone, so in 2001, when I got my vacation, I went to Orlando to visit him. Since he worked during the day, I figured I'd check out the parks, since it WAS my vacation, and I didn't want to just sit around all day. He told me I'd hate it, and even gave me his unused park hopper, because he swore he'd never use it again.

I was hooked INSTANTLY!

He made fun of me for spending 8 hours at Epcot. ("What could you possibly have done there for that long? It's SO BORING")

When he got his day off, he took me to Islands of Adventure, because he really likes it (we're both very into rollercoasters). We had a great time, and when we were done he said. "See doesn't that just blow Disney completely out of the water?" And then was mad at me when I told him that as much as I liked it, I didn't think it was as cool as Disney World.

He moved back to Dallas, and always makes some snide remark when I talk about going back to WDW. And each time I remind him that it's his fault that I got hooked, and he should just deal.

He just doesn't understand. Oh well, to each his own . . .

Lord Alfred

Of course, I've run into people who don't like WDW, and I've recently gone there with people who don't get it, and there are generally a few catagories people fall into.

1. They went and tried to do everything in less time than is really needed. Of course, they did not have fun.

2. They went during the height of summer or during other "school's out" times and did not have fun due to the crowds. Many teachers fall into this category.

3. They are thrill-lovers who do not appreciate dark rides or shows of any kind. I went to WDW last week with a fellow that could not understand why I liked Imagination, Pirates, or Buzz Lightyear. "There's nothing to most of these rides but blacklights and flourescent paint!" he would cry. He doesn't get it anymore. He had not been in several years and said "I remember liking it more than I do now". Folks like that "grow up" and just can't appreciate it for the artistry.

4. Those who hate to be educated or refuse to watch educational programming usually dislike WDW, especially Epcot and AK. I know several people who despise Epcot, but my family and I love it. We also love watching Discovery Channel, too.

5. Finally, some people hate WDW because either they can't afford to go or refuse to pay what it costs to go. These folks will come up with all kinds of excuses, complaints, and comparisons to make themselves feel better about not going. It's only human nature. "We can really only afford to go to Six Flags, son." "That's okay, Disney World sux anyways!"

I've had the same problem as far as kiddy-ness is concerned. Besides WDW, I also love Nintendo games. Nintendo generally makes games that are "family-friendly" (sound familiar?). Many gamers can not understand why I would want to play wholesome games with bright, colorful graphics. "That stuff's for kids!" they say. Yes, like WDW, it is designed to be accessible to kids, but it's also designed to be challenging and enjoyable to everyone who can appreciate it.

mickeyfanatics

Just a big kid - I love you Avatar. I still have a puzzle somewhere with the original logo for EPCOT and the one for WOM like in your avatar. I love Disney and just about everything about it. We have premium annual passes and go just about every 2 weeks, if not more often. Parking and entertainment are included, so all I pay for is food and gas (only 45 min.) so it is cheaper than any movie. Some people think I am crazy too, but hey, Mickey RULES!

I also agree with some of you that people do not like Disney Edutainment. My wife and I love it. Some of my favorite attractions are edutainment, like the American Adventure and the Hall of Presidents (or is it the Hall of Haunted Presidents?). I went to a Six Flags park in Denver this summer and I also go to Sea World because they let teachers in for free. The type of people who go there are a lot different from those who frequent Disney.

Merlin

Account Suspended
Originally posted by garyhoov

Thanks! I've been playing around with Photoshop. I may try to enter one of Main Street USA and Now Inc's contests at some point. (though I am a bit intimidated by the level of competition)

:wave:

What are these that you're referring to? Are these web sites that you can enter photo contests or something? Just curious as I'm a huge photo buff. Thanks!

Firewolfe51

I have a good friend who takes his family each year to Cocoa Beach or Melborne Beach. Never has he made a trip to any Disney parks. He got tied up in a BIG traffic jam on I-4 at the sr-192 exit and blames every bit of it on Disney traffic. Although he is making his first trip spring of 03 for his daughters cheerleader competition. Can't wait for his reaction after his return home.

Firewolfe51:p :wave:

GOING TO POLY OCT29 CAN'T WAIT

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
I just want to thank you all for "getting it". It's good to find people who love Disney too who I can talk to and not feel totally stupid about it. :D

THANK YOU SO SO SO MUCH EVERYONE! You all are appriciated whether you know it or not. :sohappy:

Merlin

Account Suspended
Originally posted by garyhoov

I meant the contests on this site. Here's a link, but you can also get to it from the main forum menu:

Thanks, I never even knew this was here! I'll check it out!

cymbaldiva

33 more days for me!! WOO HOO I Am so excited!! I love the post about the couple who thinks 1 day should suffice for Disneyworld!! That gave me a really good chuckle. And Garyhoov I love your avatar!! Nice job!! Belle

Hi Belle!

Are you going before December too?

I'm so jealous!

Oh yeah, and about the couple with one day for DisneyWorld? One word...WHATEVER!!! :lol: :lol: They too will learn...

wannabeBelle

Hey Cymbal Sure am I am going in October for the Mickey's Not So Scary deal and the food and wine festival, then again in the first week of December. Have you shaken anyone down for some money??? LOL Belle

mwitkus

My sister is married to a guy like that! She gets so upset because she talks about bringing their 2 boys there when their older and he keeps saying it isn't a vacation and he isn't going! I keep telling her that's fine, we'll have a better time without him! (You don't think I am going to miss seeing my nephews reactions to Disney???)

I hope he does stay home.. We will definitely enjoy it more!!!

homer424

Oh yes! My DH would make fun of all things Disney. I talk about WDW a lot and it aggrivates him because he thinks it is "c-r-a-p". I think the reason he doesn't like it is because his first and only trip in 1985 was with his senior class and he and his best friend got into a fight on the trip and he basically spent it alone and didn;t enjoy himself. So he has a "colored" view of WDW because of that experience. I talked him into going on the trip because I said it will be much more fun this time around because there is more to do and you will spend it with your two favorite girls ;) I will make him a freak like me YET!! LOL

Then there are people like my aunt and uncle who hate crowds of ANY kind (to them 5 people in a store is a crowd) and they associate Disney with crowds. They also think it is just stupid to want to go there (even though they have never been). My grandmother and I were planning a trip for 2000 for her and I and my daughter(DH still too skittish to go). My uncle, who is just a *genius*:rolleyes: , says to my grandmother "Instead of going to that place why don;t you go to Sandals where you can have fun?". Hmm...Sandals for a 75 year old woman, her granddaughter and her 1 year old great granddaughter...oh yeah! We will fit right in with the honeymooners and the regualr couples on the beach! LOL

I agree with the above-they don't get it because they had a bad time once, think it is lke any other theme park or maybe can;t afford to go so they try to play it off as a cruddy place anyway. Or in my case with my aunt and uncle, because they are so dang miserable and nasty (hmm can we say issues? LOL)

Donna (153 days left!)

cymbaldiva

Hey Cymbal Sure am I am going in October for the Mickey's Not So Scary deal and the food and wine festival, then again in the first week of December. Have you shaken anyone down for some money??? LOL Belle

Dang Belle! I need to figure out how to get those kind of bucks! :lol:

Enjoy the Magic for me 'til I figure out how to get there!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom