The People that don't get it.

JungleJim

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Do any of you know people that don't undersatnd your appreciation for Walt Disney World?
I know people that think Disney World can't possibly be fun for adults! They think because of kids and lines it's not much of a vacation.
They just don't get it!

SpongeScott

Yep--I live next door to one. His family is going down in a couple of weeks and I have helped them with their trip planning and they are very excited about going--except him. He's not even making the trip--staying home to work (choosing to). He says that Disney is not for adults and with his kids Mom and grandparents there, that that is enough adults to be there with them. He asked his wife to shoot video, but she told him what he could do with his video!!

I also have other people that can't believe that we are going again after going last year. They kinda look at me like I'm an idiot. I guess this is akin to people owning pets--only pet owners can really understand; only Disney lovers can really understand.

General Grizz

It's true. Most people believe it's "kid stuff"...in actually, it's "family stuff"...and even half of those who enjoy it don't understand its message.

I guess people like to dissociate with it for their "cool" reasons...:brick:

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
I have met many people who just can't grasp the fact that some adults love Disney. I find that it's usually someone who has never been, or someone who had a bad experience there. How could anyone not like Disney?

Pam

ArsonWinter

Sometimes, I'll say something about (for example) the Haunted Mansion, and my friends just give me this look like I'm too old to be quoting "Grim Grinning Ghosts" or something.

But, not always. Many of my friends actually like rides like Star Tours, RnRC, Alien Encounter, Test Track, etc., but when I talk about Horizons or Timekeeper like it's the greatest attraction ever made, they once again will give me that infamous look.

Come to think of it, several years ago, I narrowly escaped getting an F on an assignment in school because I said I liked Epcot, and that Horizons and Living with the Land were some of the highlights of said theme park. A little talk with the teacher, a big World Showcase fan, changed her mind. The day was saved, folks.

GalacticGobbler

One of my good friends is that way. He just can't understand , and little does he know that if he would have an open mind and go one time he too would be hooked.

lLoveDisney99

This guy in my theatre class said that Disney World was the "most boring place on earth". :eek: I couldn't believe it! How could anyone not like Disney World?!

JungleJim

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Originally posted by Kingdom Konsultant
I have met many people who just can't grasp the fact that some adults love Disney. I find that it's usually someone who has never been, or someone who had a bad experience there. How could anyone not like Disney?

Pam

The people that have had a bad experience are the ones that go to Disney and think they can see it all in three days.

cymbaldiva

Alot of people I talk to thing that Disney is only for kids...

Generally they've either never been, or haven't been since they were actual children themselves.

I just figure...whatever! If they don't bother to go, it's just less crowds for me when I'm there! :lol:

hockeymom

Yes, I know many people like that, mainly it's just the fact that they've never been there, so when I talk about it I always tell them that "it's just something that you have to experience". They really don't know what they're missing!!! of course WE all know what they are missing!!!
:)

I know plenty of people who think that they couldn't have fun at a "kiddie"park... well, i'm 28 and damn proud to say i've been to Disney in 2000,2001,and 2002 :) True some of the rides are a tad aimed way more towards kids than some would like but i think it's a great getaway and gives me a MUCH NEEDED mental break from real life. And tell me someone in today's society who doesn't need a place to go and just get away from the craziness.. Ok.. i'm done blabbing..:lol:

Merlin

Account Suspended
I live in California and people don't understand why we would go "all the way to Florida" more than once a year when "we have Disneyland right here". These people assume that "Disneyworld" is identical to Disneyland, only a lot bigger. They really think it is just the theme park (yeah, only one theme park) and nothing more. It kind of annoys me actually. I mean, I don't mind people not knowing any better because they never really thought to look into it, but it frustrates me when I try to explain it to people and they don't get it. I'll explain that WALT Disney World (not "Disneyworld") is an entire resort (actually, technically a city), that it's twice the size of Manhattan (or the same size as San Francisco) and that it includes more than just the FOUR separate theme parks (a lot of people I talk to think that Epcot is PART OF "Disneyworld" (i.e. Magic Kingdom)). I tell people that when we go, we aren't just spending our time going on Space Mountain again and again. I tell them that we go canoeing, ride horses, go to nightclubs, rent speedboats, go on nature walks, eat in a countless variety of great restaurants, go to water parks, play miniature golf, see awesome dinner shows, etc. And still, people just don't seem to get a clue. It is like it is a concept people just don't seem to grasp for some reason.

On that same note, I've had people ask my advice about making their own trips to WDW and then they don't listen to me and then don't understand why they don't have a good time. For example, I worked with a woman who took her two daughters there right smack in the middle of easter vacation a few years back. I begged her not to go during such a busy time. I even told her which days to avoid which parks because of crowds and told her which days she should go to the water parks and do other stuff. She completely ignored my advice and when she came back, she said she would never go to WDW ever again because it was so crowded and all they did was stand in line the whole time. If only she'd listened to me, she could have had a completely different experience.

VinnieG

Well it is the same as people on the East coast go to Disneyland because it is the first Disney park.But anyway I have been to WDW 9 times & Disneyland 1 once.I do prefer WDW because it is only 9hrs away.
One of these people that do not get it is my wife I drive her nuts because I love going to WDW.She likes it but does not understand why I like to go year after year.Me & my daughter drive her crazy in the car becuse all we sing to is Disney Cds love Grim Grinning Ghosts. But I do know others that do not want to go because there is alot of walking & it drives me nuts.I personally love walking aroung all 4 parks especially MK it is my favorite.:cool:

wannabeBelle

I get that all the time. Mostly at work though. Two of my bosses just have no clue why I can go there again and again. They keep telling me to go to a Club Med or something! And for me it isnt even family stuff, it is FUN stuff!! I Am quite single so it isnt even the kid thing that appeals to me. A few of my friends are a little more skeptical, but the way I explained it to them is this, If I am intelligent enough to keep your interest as a friend, and I like Disney, chances are that you would probably at least think it was interesting!! So far I have managed to convince them to keep an open mind!

wee-haggis

LOL...its a common comment usually from folk who have'nt even been there or if they have been there ,it was only for a day or two.
There idea of a good holiday is sitting baking on a beach for 2 weeks....whooppee for them!
I have a friend who goes for weekends up to a cottage and for 3 weeks during the summer every year.
After calculating his expenses for these trips , he actually pays more than my 1 week trip to WDW.
Sure,I pretty well do'nt do anything for the most part of the year....but its worth the sacrifice even for 1 week!

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
That's what great about this board. I see people counting down and I get excited for them and understand how they feel. I'm always telling people at work how many days I've got left and they laugh politely (I'm the boss, so people often pretend they don't think I'm as stupid as they really think I am), but it's clear they don't get it.

117 Days, 9 hours, 46 minutes, 15 seconds:sohappy:

CAPTAIN HOOK

I have a colleague at work who is going in 3 weeks - he's just the opposite of these folks that you're talking about - he's crazy. I've introduced him to this website and now he's hooked on it.

wee-haggis

we know folk who are going down with their 2 young kids to St Petes.
we asked "are you going to Disney".....and the reply is...
"yes,we are going for the day...that should be suffice!"....
They do'nt get it!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom