The Park Is Too Empty???

hokielutz

I seem to prefer a near empty park, expecially in the evenings. Its a good way to calm down and wrap up the day. Just walking along with all the lights on and spouse on one arm is very romantic and relaxing.

I would prefer a more empty park during the day... but not completely dead. Yeah it may be cool to have a ride to yourself... but the interaction and sounds of others can really enhance the magic. If the park is dead... there is no one to share that magic with and you just end up with people quietly walking from one place to another.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Empty parks are far and away the best. That's why you guys are going to all be dissapointed after I saved up enough money to imitate Eric Cartman and buy WDW and then go on all the rides by myself.

I think there may well be some mental issues with people that prefer crowds over an empty park.

As long as the rides and places are staffed why would anyone want to have to wait in line, get run over by strollers or have random people pushing past you like they're desperate for the last cabbage pacth doll?

Just not normal to want that stuff... Nope.... Not normal. Give me an empty park where I feel like omega man and I'm not going to complain.

sbkline

I think there may well be some mental issues with people that prefer crowds over an empty park.

As long as the rides and places are staffed why would anyone want to have to wait in line, get run over by strollers or have random people pushing past you like they're desperate for the last cabbage pacth doll?

Just not normal to want that stuff... Nope.... Not normal. Give me an empty park where I feel like omega man and I'm not going to complain.

I don't want a park to be overly crowded, but I don't want it to be too empty, either. Unless it's really early in the morning (when I know that it will soon fill up and "come alive") or late at night when I know it's dying down for the day.

But, IMO, an empty park is just kind of depressing. Not that I want it TOO full, with people constantly in my way and hour long waits for the rides. But the people are part of what makes the park feel festive and alive. Walking around and seeing so many other people with their family and friends, having a good time, knowing that there are others from all over the country enjoying the same thing you are. To me, an empty park would be like being the only person in the stadium watching the Super Bowl. How boring would that be? I would imagine very boring.

McJags

My family is associated with McDonalds and they have their World convetion in Orlando every two years. About 6 years ago, McD's rented out the MK for one night for just the people attending the conference. The numbers were still in the tens of thousands but our longest wait was 10 minutes...it was great!! Maybe the fact everything was free also made it so good, free food and beverages while we were there.

LeeSeeBabe

Back in 1999/2000 or so, my mom and I did ToT 13 times and RnRc 5 times all in one day!

On another trip with my parents, the 3 of us were the only ones in the ToT elevator. I was honestly creeped out. The CM let the 3 of us sit wherever we wanted so we all took separate rows and we definitely bought that picture. It was awesome, but at the same time, just flat out weird.

k.hunter30

So, have you ever been to one of the parks and it's just plain old empty. Very few people and you can walk right onto every ride?

Was it cool... or was there something not right about it? I just have the feeling that if I was at the park on a regular day and it was empty for the most part, I would be disappointed. Does this make sense?
:lookaroun
No, no it does not.

bartbrine

empty park

We normally go in July and typically the places are PACKED. But a few occasions we went early in the morning and it was rather nice with shorter lines we did all the rides we wanted by noon. How is December from the 10 to the 20th?

Joepic

I find that the best time to go to avoid the crowds is right in the beginning of December, that first week. The Christmas decorations are up, and nobody is really around. It's such a great feeling and just brings the magic closer so to say

mousermerf

Account Suspended
The day after one of the hurricanes went through, I decided to run over to WDW for the fun of it. Brought a friend, grabbed up one of the many canceled reservations at Cindy's Royal Table.

We parked in the 7th space of the MK parking lot. The monorails were closed because of the weather and the ferries were down too. We had to ride a bus to the front gate.

Maybe 15 or so people on the bus total, even after it stopped at the Contemporary too.

We went right in, walked down Mainstreet to CM's standing outside the shops and such just waving to us. The park was officially open, but no one was there.

We got into Cindy's and were seated very quickly. We were sat next to what would be an awesome view of Fantasyland - except the stained glass windows were boarded up with plywood. We were told the character selection was unusual for our day because they just had pretty much anyone who showed up there, as many did not show up. Our waitress actually worked at Tony's Town Square (and was in that costume) but the restaurant was closed for the day and they needed her at Cindy's.

We mostly went just to have the experience iself, never been to Cindy's before or since. Most characters thought we were odd because we weren't really into them. Alice on the other hand asked us some questions...

"So, no photos?"
"No books to sign?"
"You're really just here to eat..?"

And then declared..

"You're the first sane people i've met here all day!"

After the meal, we went down and were stopped when we were about to exit the castle. They held us and like 3 other people back as they had a big crane in the plaza behind the castle. They were attaching it the little tower thingy on the Sir Mickey's shop fascade.

Whatever they were doing, i think it failed, and the tower/window thingy on the fascade fell off and burst into a million pieces in the middle of the courtyard. They apologized and told us we'd have to walk around the park elsewhere and that we couldn't get to Fantasyland for a while via the castle.

Went over into Tomorrowland, the TTA was down, so we rode the Indy Speedway - the only people on the track were us.

It was still like heavey to moderate rain, sort of cycling the entire time. We went on Peter Pan without any line around like 11:30am. The CMs were suprised to see us. Road small world all by ourselves, had to wait for them to cycle empty boats out of the station so we could unload.

We did a few other things, lots in jest, things we promised we'd only do if there was absolutely no line, so we did them. I think I rode dumbo like 3 times.

Around noon to 1 the rain was letting up and some people starting showing up, but still no real lines. We headed out and went home. :)

dolphinmom

:)

Sorry people but I have to agree with the OP. I have been to the magic kingdom when the crowds are shoulder to shoulder and even though I felt that was too crowded, when ever I look at pics of an almost empty park I really do find it to be a tad depressing.

dolphinmom

leaving in 12 days!!:sohappy:

DSNYKID

Original Poster
:lookaroun
No, no it does not.

Are you just being difficult?

It's not that I don't enjoy light crowds.... because I do. I like being able to go on the rides several times in a row.. but at the same time it gets to a point where your like... ok.. 8 times in a row on BTMRR is enough and you wanna get off.

I know some of you know what I meant in my original post. And believe me, I do not like crowds either. There is just something Electric and Alive about having other excited guests in the park with you. Some have you have mentioned a balance in crowd numbers. Enough people to be there and feel there presence but at the same time not affecting the ques. Others have talked about filming video of the "Lands" when no one else was around. Kinda cool... kinda stange to me.

Xadllas

I wen't to MK during Hurricane Katrina and it was pretty empty and it only rained a little bit. But we got to go on everything without a wait it was fun.(but not fun for most ppl in the world..)

jmicro59

We drove down to WDW in a 30' RV about two weeks after 9/11. We had a large family contingent of Canucks. The park(s) were completely empty. We had CM's asking us to stay on rides or else management would send them home. I can remember how numb my buttocks were from riding BTM for almost a half hour without getting off. :ROFLOL:
That was a weird trip as we all knew why the parks were empty and we tried to enjoy ourselves as best we could. Without the crowds the parks just were not the same. :(

the-reason14

I wish for once I could go down to WDW like this. It will feel wierd alittle and may take away from the overall experience since I wouldnt be used to it. But for real, like no lines? Ill get over it.

miles1

We drove down to WDW in a 30' RV about two weeks after 9/11. We had a large family contingent of Canucks. The park(s) were completely empty. We had CM's asking us to stay on rides or else management would send them home. I can remember how numb my buttocks were from riding BTM for almost a half hour without getting off. :ROFLOL:
That was a weird trip as we all knew why the parks were empty and we tried to enjoy ourselves as best we could. Without the crowds the parks just were not the same. :(

We were there about the same time, right about the time that Disney announced shortened park hours and hours cuts for the CM's. THe CM's all looked genuinely depressed. The parks were eerily deserted. I remember walking through EPCOT one morning by myself and having the ________ scared out of me by PUSH the trash can. Imagine seeing no one anywhere around you and suddenly you start hearing voices from behind you! When I finally spotted the CM controlling it, hiding behind a pillar, he was laughing at me hysterically. It must have been the only laugh he had all week.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom