The Park Formerly Known as Disney's Hollywood Studios? Yep ...

Goofyernmost

You keep taking about the world but the world is not seeing the DisneyParks ads. DisneyParks is a Walt Disney Parks and Resorts initiative and they only get absolute say over the Disneyland Resort and Walt Disney World. International markets with strong visitation to either get advertising for the Resort that is heavily visited. The international destinations run their own marketing.
It doesn't really matter. Because of the locations the other parks are more likely to have independent promotions, but when run in the states, it is one country, 6 plus parks and also generic for foreign travel. It all makes sense to me, obviously not to others so I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I am taking your word for this because I have not seen any other then the ones shown in the States.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
That might be a valid point if DisneyParks usage was not focused on just the US and only arose about four decades after Disney had two US theme park complexes. Cheap brands run dual commercials, like T. J. Maxx - Marshall's, but you do not see Macy's - Bloomingdales ads. Even Six Flags, who does actually have a national chain of parks, is able to not confuse its audience and include the name of the local park(s).

It is an example of Disney being out of touch and cheap because that is the primary narrative of Jay Rasulo's time at Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. The man's disdain for theme parks is well established as is his legacy that focused on removing "expensive" distinctions between the parks.

Exactly even up here in the 'Frozen' northland the local Six Flags ALWAYS uses the local name of the park as the tease in the advertisement and the napkins and paperware have the park name on them. Not the generic dollar store 'One Disney' Disney Parks items Jay Rasulo has pushed on us at WDW.

I never thought I would see the day when Six Flags had more quality touches and localization than WDW.

John

Agreed, but then your focus would be way to small. If you were just going after, to use your example, horseback riders, you have spent a lot of money for a very limited market. As much as we might not like it they have to target a much larger audience and not shortchange one park for the benefit of another. They do not do it because other companies do, they do it because it is the most effective advertising for the big market that they are attempting to reach.

I understand that you like it to be zeroed to individual likes, but, the picture is too big for that to happen anymore and there are more wide reaching media sources now that will spread their message to places that individual targeting would wasted. In actuality, Disney has more of a reason to do generic advertising then those other companies do. The reason is because they have a much smaller inventory of specific selling points and therefore must try to pull in everyone to wherever it is convenient for them to go.

Your right....we will have to agree to disagree. But I just have to point out that your argument actually is opposite of your position. The "One Disney Parks" campaign doesn't show the diversity of the guest experience. As said it shows MK or MS Dl. When you show ALL the other activities at the parks you done show individual likes to a small group of guest but a broader appeal. A golfer might see and ad and say....I thought WDW was for kids....didn't know that they had world class golf courses. Horseback riding and golf are just two of many activities offered. Remember night life at WDW? Its been discussed many times how Disney has strayed away from the adult guest. My point is that the current marketing strategy is making the parks look like.....well just theme parks. When there is (was) so much more. The current campaign is lazy, unimaginative and relies way to much on nostalgia.

Goofyernmost

Your right....we will have to agree to disagree. But I just have to point out that your argument actually is opposite of your position. The "One Disney Parks" campaign doesn't show the diversity of the guest experience. As said it shows MK or MS Dl. When you show ALL the other activities at the parks you done show individual likes to a small group of guest but a broader appeal. A golfer might see and ad and say....I thought WDW was for kids....didn't know that they had world class golf courses. Horseback riding and golf are just two of many activities offered. Remember night life at WDW? Its been discussed many times how Disney has strayed away from the adult guest. My point is that the current marketing strategy is making the parks look like.....well just theme parks. When there is (was) so much more. The current campaign is lazy, unimaginative and relies way to much on nostalgia.
Again, there is a difference between parks and resorts. A tiny amount of research on their part will show what is offered and I can't think of any reason why someone would go to the place just because it has a golf course or horseback riding. Those can be found in many other places. A theme park? Not so much!

lazyboy97o

Exactly even up here in the 'Frozen' northland the local Six Flags ALWAYS uses the local name of the park as the tease in the advertisement and the napkins and paperware have the park name on them. Not the generic dollar store 'One Disney' Disney Parks items Jay Rasulo has pushed on us at WDW.

I never thought I would see the day when Six Flags had more quality touches and localization than WDW.
DisneyParks and One Disney are actually two separate initiatives. DisneyParks was the first, forward facing initiative that sought common branding and experiences between the Disneyland Resort and Walt Disney World. One Disney came after and is focused on back of house areas that probably could have used a lot of reduction. Do you really need a completely separate payroll department in California when computers can now instantly send all of that information to Florida where you already need a significantly larger staff? I even see the wisdom in there just being one Jungle Cruise or Big Thunder Mountain Railroad costume.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Again, there is a difference between parks and resorts. A tiny amount of research on their part will show what is offered and I can't think of any reason why someone would go to the place just because it has a golf course or horseback riding. Those can be found in many other places. A theme park? Not so much!

Why you ask, golf and/or horseback riding might be the deciding vote in a family going to WDW. Dad might be a golf fanatic but rest of family wants to go to parks. Now there is something for dad to do while mom and kiddies enjoy the theme park.

This is a trivial example but you get the picture.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
DisneyParks and One Disney are actually two separate initiatives. DisneyParks was the first, forward facing initiative that sought common branding and experiences between the Disneyland Resort and Walt Disney World. One Disney came after and is focused on back of house areas that probably could have used a lot of reduction. Do you really need a completely separate payroll department in California when computers can now instantly send all of that information to Florida where you already need a significantly larger staff?

Good to know - thanks @lazyboy97o

lazyboy97o

The DisneyParks nomenclature in advertising did not replace the six individual parks, but the two resorts.

djlaosc

I still blame the DisneyParks campaign as part of the reason for the overcrowding of the Magic Kingdom in recent years. Because Disneyland and Magic Kingdom are the only similar parks between both resorts, the commercials way over-emphasize the Magic Kingdom experience. There's virtually no footage of anywhere else on property, and as a result the WDW = Magic Kingdom mentality is further perpetuated in the minds of guests. First-time guests are very easily impacted by marketing, and should be shown that DAK, Epcot, and DHS are equally valid Disney experiences.

I have to say, I was shocked at a UK advert for WDW this year (it came after the one that featured Great Moments with Mr Lincoln that I mentioned above) because it actually featured all 4 parks!

Jon81uk

I have to say, I was shocked at a UK advert for WDW this year (it came after the one that featured Great Moments with Mr Lincoln that I mentioned above) because it actually featured all 4 parks!
Yep the UK adverts seem to be selling it as more than just Magic. I think Disney are starting to realise many people want thrill rides and shows not just "magic".

John

Again I used horseback riding and golf as just TWO of the different activities for the sake of conversation. There are a plethora of activities one can experience. IMO one of the reasons they don't advertise them is so as they can kill them. Like the fishing experiences offered. How many people even here on the Magic knew they offered a guided fishing experience? Google WDW? or DL? HA! How many people show up and don't about fp+ or the DDP? What I will say is that it would be impossible to show everything that is offered in a 30 second spot. But as we all know there is much more to the parks then the fab five some rides and a castle.

I would never devolve in to a discussion of which park is beter......WDW vs DL...but I will say that WDW is much more of a vacation destination then DL. Which IMO would dictate a marketing strategy all of its own.

Different CM costumes? Again this is or was the Disney difference. Would it be cheaper to all CM's have the same? Sure it would. I imagine one day someone will do just that.

lazyboy97o

Different CM costumes? Again this is or was the Disney difference. Would it be cheaper to all CM's have the same? Sure it would. I imagine one day someone will do just that.
You say some day as though you are unaware that it has already been happening. Cloned attractions already share many if not nearly all design features. Why are costumes so sacred that they must be different in look just because? Climate would be a good factor for design differences, but that doesn't necessarily mean you cannot share.

John

You say some day as though you are unaware that it has already been happening. Cloned attractions already share many if not nearly all design features. Why are costumes so sacred that they must be different in look just because? Climate would be a good factor for design differences, but that doesn't necessarily mean you cannot share.

NO I meant the same costumes across the parks period. Not from West coast vs East coast or any other Disney park. My misunderstanding. I meant that one day there wouldn't be any difference between lands or attractions across the board. I also believe it might not happen in the foreign parks such as TDl, but certainly can see it happening here in the USA.

Along the lines of humongous uniforms.....

One of the reason I enjoy riding the people mover so much is because at least when I'm riding that ride, you get a tour of TL, a sense of the land's purpose and it *TRIES* to bring it all together in some sort of mishmashed cohesiveness....and TL is probably one of the most mis-matched areas in WDW...yet because of that ride to me it feels more together than some of the rest.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
NO I meant the same costumes across the parks period. Not from West coast vs East coast or any other Disney park. My misunderstanding. I meant that one day there wouldn't be any difference between lands or attractions across the board. I also believe it might not happen in the foreign parks such as TDl, but certainly can see it happening here in the USA.

Don't give TDO ideas ...

Siren

Wow, another name change -- I think it's embarrassing. They should just call it Walt Disney Studios or Disney Studios and be done with it. I don't know what else you can possibly call it. It's funny how Universal and Busch Gardens and every other theme park has never had to change their name. It seems so odd to me.

And also, I know the tacky BAH is slated for demolition but I do *not* like the idea of the Chinese theater as the landmark of the park -- it really needs to be something Disney and eye catching.
1jp6ja.jpg
I'm sorry but this is a Hollywood icon not Disney. And, the water tower is just blah!

I still blame the DisneyParks campaign as part of the reason for the overcrowding of the Magic Kingdom in recent years. Because Disneyland and Magic Kingdom are the only similar parks between both resorts, the commercials way over-emphasize the Magic Kingdom experience. There's virtually no footage of anywhere else on property, and as a result the WDW = Magic Kingdom mentality is further perpetuated in the minds of guests. First-time guests are very easily impacted by marketing, and should be shown that DAK, Epcot, and DHS are equally valid Disney experiences.
I kind of see your point but Epcot, DHS, and DAK are not really valid experiences -- because they're not complete parks, at least not yet. For me, there is not enough in those parks by themselves to warrant a trip to WDW. MK is my favorite, AK is a close second, DHS is third, and Epcot is last, imo. The other parks are wonderful put pale in comparison to MK. The "Disney Parks" thing does annoy me though, it just lacks something.

Last edited:

Castle Cake Apologist

Wow, another name change -- I think it's embarrassing. They should just call it Walt Disney Studios or Disney Studios and be done with it. I don't know what else you can possibly call it. It's funny how Universal and Busch Gardens and every other theme park has never had to change their name. It seems so odd to me.

Busch Gardens has changed its name several times. Throughout its history, the park has been called Busch Gardens: The Dark Continent, Busch Gardens Africa, and Busch Gardens Tampa Bay. Even Universal has changed the name of its entire resort a few times.

Not saying it's not embarrassing that Disney can't seem to figure out a name for the park, just that it is not without precedent for a major theme park to change its name.

DocMcHulk

As described to me...northeast.
Something I just realized....
Of Walt Disney's 6 US parks, DHS is the only park where the main entrance isn't facing North or South (DAK is slightly west off north)

Think about it:
Disneyland Park- North
California Adventure- South
Magic Kingdom- North
EPCOT- South
Animal Kingdom- Slightly Off North
Hollywood Studios- South West

FigmentJedi

And also, I know the tacky BAH is slated for demolition but I do *not* like the idea of the Chinese theater as the landmark of the park -- it really needs to be something Disney and eye catching.

1jp6ja.jpg

I'm sorry but this is a Hollywood icon not Disney. And, the water tower is just blah!
The entire front half of the park outside ToT and the Hat is composed of Hollywood iconography and architecture. Every building has a specific origin in an actual location in Hollywood and that whole part of LA.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom