Trip Report The ONE with the Bowl that was not so Super šŸš½ 2/5-2/9, 2021*COMPLETED*

giphy.gif

HA HA HA!!!
Hello everybody! I returned yesterday from a last minute long weekend to WDW.
How? Who? Why? You ask. Well my Magical friends, here is everything you want to know, and maybe some things, you donā€™t.

It all began a few weeks ago at work when my bff/boss suggested we go to Disney for his birthday. I took him last year and we had a great time. We looked at dates and flights and room rates and hemmed and hawed for a couple days. We decided we would go Presidentā€™s weekend. But my kids would be out of school and they would want to go. Then, texting with @Tuvalu she said ā€œyouā€™re going presidentā€™s weekend!?!?šŸ˜³šŸ˜³šŸ˜³ā€

Ok, she didnā€™t say it like that but that is how I heard it in my mind. I said to my friend, M, ā€œwhat the heck are we thinking? Letā€™s go the weekend before.ā€ His sister/business partner/my other boss gave her blessing (then promptly booked a whole week in Florida for herself at the end of the month) and we started looking at rooms.
Pop was cheap with the AP discount so I booked.

We picked out our flights, then added a day and picked out new flights. Friday came, my day off and two weeks before departure and we had decided on everything. All we had to do was book the flights, which were $69 each way. Then I looked again and the flights were down to $49 each way. I texted M, ā€œBOOK BOOK BOOK! This is not a drill!!!ā€

Then Saturday came and I canceled Pop and booked a studio at Saratoga Springs Resort using my DVC points. Bought Mā€™s park ticket and made park reservations and some ADRā€™s. I also filled out the Magical Express request form and ordered a couple t-shirts.

13 days to go and we were all set.

donaldtoo

Friday February 5th cont

We left Jockā€™s (we are on a first name basis nowšŸ˜‰) and headed back out into DS where we window shopped.
Loved this Man City jersey!
View attachment 531844
Not a huge nike fan and these did not do it for me. @Billy6 would you wear these?
View attachment 531845

We reached the end of DS so we sat down at the outside bar at City Works. I have been dying to eat here since it opened and have had to cancel multiple reservations for one reason or another. However, I will take what I can get, and today it was a drink at the bar in the sunshine (it was chilly so the šŸŒž felt great).
Also, during my holiday drink quest I came across the French 75? French 15? whatever it is called. I purchased the ingredients and tinkered. I wanted to see if it tasted better when a professional made it.
View attachment 531846
Our bartenderā€™s name was Christine and she asked if I wanted it traditional or on ice.
ā€œWhy would you put it on ice?ā€
ā€œWhen itā€™s warm out.ā€
ā€œWellā€, I answered, ā€œthere is a sliver of sun. I will try it on ice.ā€
View attachment 531847

We shared it. It was light and refreshing. This would be good at the beach with a bacon, egg and cheese.
View attachment 531848

We had a dinner reservation at the Edison. I had never been and the menu is M approved. One thing about Mā€™s eating habits, that is, his diet. It is awful. Terrible. Picky picky picky. He wonā€™t eat chicken! But he will eat a tuna fish sandwichšŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø
Therefore, any place we ate had to have something for M. The Edison had a burger which he eatsšŸ‘

On the way, I saw some old friends:
View attachment 531849
View attachment 531850
ā¤ļøšŸŒ“

I played soccer for years, including varsity in high school, and in an Austin city league after that (never went to college), and those shoes are definitely different than what we had available back in the day...!!!!! :hilarious:

That drink sounds good...!!!!! :hungry:

donaldtoo

Saturday February 6th, 2021

I have mentioned before that I am from SoCal originally. Californians are known to be pretentious. I mean, look at me with the SoCal.
would we schitts creek GIF by CBC

Anyhow, I am going to quote myself, please forgive me.

Saturday 3:00am

I awoke, not suddenly like one would from a bad dream but slowly with a feeling of dread, doom and pain, so much pain. My stomach! It was if there were something in there begging to get out. I tried to get up but it felt as if all my muscles had gelatinized. Keeping my eyes closed I pushed back the covers and willed myself to be strong. You are an athlete. You can do this. Nothing lasts forever. Nothing lasts forever. Nothing lasts...

I felt my way to my bedroom door, opened it quietly so not to wake M asleep in the living room, made a sharp right and opened the bathroom door, shutting it behind me. Nothing lasts forever. Then a left to open the door to the toilet. No time to clorox wipe anything. I fell to my knees, keeping my eyes closed and my face as far as I could I released the demons trying to escape my stomach. I sat on the floor gasping for breath. Nothing lasts forever. Again and again I forcefully ejected the contents my stomach found objectionable. Eyes still closed I flushed it down then uprighted myself and stumbled to the sink. I was shaking as I washed and dried my hands.

I opened the bathroom door and there was M.
ā€œDid I wake you?ā€
ā€œNo.ā€

I retreated into my bedroom and my half of the bathroom, the half with the tub and the gorgeous sink and the stupid closet that should be a second toilet! I fumbled around for my toothbrush, put some toothpaste on it and brushed my teeth. It felt as if there were something lodged in my throat. Oh my throat, it burned. It felt like road rash with a chunk of asphalt still embedded in it.

With trepidation I took a small sip of water. Mistake. Bed. I needed to lie down. But the bed was so far away. Nothing lasts forever. Nothing lasts forever.

Sleep was elusive and fitful. My body lay still but my mind raced. What the heck is this? Did I drink too much? No, thatā€™s not it. I felt fine before bed. FOOD POISONING! Who? What? Where? What time is it? RotR BG in a few hours. Nothing lasts forever. Sleep. Sleep damn it sleep.

Several times over the next couple hours in my semi sleep state I could hear M get up and make his way to the restroom. Just after 6:00am my stomach woke again, and was still angry albeit not as angry as before. M was in the bathroom and even if he wasnā€™t there was no way I was sticking my face near that bowl again. Nothing lasts forever.

Willpower was the answer. You will not throw up. I grabbed my phone and hustled into my half of the bathroom grabbing the brand new, never been used trash can and sat on the floor leaning against the tub. My body heaved a few times trying to dismiss every last poisonous crumb, but there was none remaining.

Shivering I checked the time. Boarding groups would be dropping in about 10 minutes. I had trained for this and even compromised I could do it. I restarted my phone and switched off wifi. Waiting for My Disney Experience to load I started to burn up. Sweat beaded up around my hairline, my heart thumped audibly, blood swished within my ears. I lay down on the cold tile floor nestling my cheek into the cool comfort. Nothing lasts forever.

Time check: 6:58.
What happens if I get an early boarding group? Can I do this? I donā€™t want to disappoint M. What is worse? Sorry I didnā€™t get it or I got it but I canā€™t go?
7:00
With trembling hands I pushed the join now button then the next join button. I had trained for this. It circled, then it circled again I knew it was too late before the red screen appeared telling me the groups were full. Relief washed over me but it was quickly replaced by nausea. I sat on the floor leaning against the tub with the trash can between my legs.

I needed to tell M so he didnā€™t get up and start getting ready. But I could not stand. My muscles were too weak, my body shaking, switching between shivers and sweats. I crawled to the bedroom door and opened it from the floor. Exhausted I slumped over to regain my strength.
ā€œM???ā€, I called quietly, my throat burning with every syllable.
ā€œI didnā€™t get the boarding group.ā€

M walked over to where I was sprawled on the floor.
ā€œYou okay?ā€ he asked.
ā€œI think I have food poioning and I feel like sh..ā€
ā€œMe too,ā€ he responded, ā€œI have been in the bathroom all night. But I feel a little better now. Can I get you anything?ā€

I must have felt a little better too. I asked for a bag from our groceries so I could line the trash can in case I got sick again. I did not want to ruin a brand new trash can. Even ill I have priorities.

ā€œLets sleep another hour and see how we feel. We donā€™t have a boarding group so we can head to Hollywood anytime we want.ā€

Nothing lasts forever

So very sorry to hear.
At least yaā€™ faced it with poise...!!! ;)

56B54AB7-F7F8-44CF-8424-A6698F796E27.gif

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Weā€™re holding up ok I guess. Iā€˜ve been stuck here at the office helping the dot try to at least clear a lane on the interstate since Sunday morning(the road home is impassible). A is at home with the pups, but has power and water at the moment so thatā€™s a good thing. Hoping to start thawing on Friday and Saturday.

Pickle gets really excited about snow for about 5 minutes then sheā€™s done. Our Lab, Belle, absolutely loves it though.
View attachment 532955

Wait. What? Pups?? When did Pickle get a beautiful lab sibling? Sorry to hear you are trapped at work (I hope there is at least some couches to sleep on? Or maybe you canā€™t get home but have been sleeping in a hotel when you arenā€™t at work?) and Iā€™m really glad A has power and water.

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
What a great pic of the two of you!

And wow--what an amazing day: a major pixie-dust room upgrade, PLUS a Tuvalu meetup/gift exchange!! So glad that things starting turning around for you after the horrible way the trip started.

I like the Pandora charm that M bought for the famous R. I'm assuming it's made of metal so I'm looking forward in the future to reading about all the times she forgets about it and gets pulled out of line for a security screening... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Holy cow! I think I peed a little I laughed so hard! You have a mind like a steel trap!!!
giphy.gif

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Such a lovely CM interaction! So nice that they were able to get you some extra pixie dusting. Especially after the food poisoning issue. Hope you all had a fantastic rest of the trip!
I always say it, and I will say it again, Saratoga has some of the BEST CMā€™s in all the World!
The pixie dust did help the food poisoning issue. If we had not have gotten sick we would have been in a park and no upgrade would have happened. Mā€™s Mom always said things happen for a reason.
Fantastic extra magic there with the room! And a Tuvalu meet up! Things seem to be looking up for your trip.:happy:
Extra magic is right. I could not believe it. They could see I had already been upgraded once but they insisted on doing it again. I made the boys go thank the front desk when they went to get dinner.
And hanging out with Tuvalu was great! She is such a charmer and so fun!

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Those new rooms at Saratoga are super nice looking. That and the point charts have me looking pretty hard for a trip later this year. I really like that the studios switched to the Murphy bed instead of those horrible looking sleeper sofas.
Agreed. And in these times with nothing to do at night except go to Disney Springs it is nice to be able to walk there! Plus, the staff really is the best!
Keep me updated on this!!

Loco_driver

Wait. What? Pups?? When did Pickle get a beautiful lab sibling? Sorry to hear you are trapped at work (I hope there is at least some couches to sleep on? Or maybe you canā€™t get home but have been sleeping in a hotel when you arenā€™t at work?) and Iā€™m really glad A has power and water.
Sheā€™s had two siblings for quite a while. Belle and ranger. Both of them showed up at our house hungry and scared. Range was abused as a puppy we think. It took him a long time to warm up to anyone except A. Heā€™s a healthy happy boy now, even if he looks a little grumpy in this picture
5A19B690-47BC-45A4-A9BD-7907E422658B.jpeg

I have an air mattress here and packed a pillow and blankets in anticipation of the roads being too bad to drive on. The state is providing us with food and water as well, so Iā€™m good!

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Sunday February 7, 2021

The previous morning I was awoken by the exorcist in my stomach. This morning I think it was Thor:
8263723E-7EF2-4D06-9508-8167F248D265.png

C451C550-D9BC-4963-A24C-C82C0FC8F3CE.png

406108B2-94C4-4AE5-9959-5F5561BDA026.png

I did not care what the radar said or what it looked like outside! I was going to Magic Kingdom and I was bringing the 4 menfolk with me and we were going to have a great time!!!

The night before I told the boys we would catch an eight am bus. X said ā€œthatā€™s it? I told them be prepared to wake really early because you are kinda crazy when it comes to Disney.ā€

Vote...compliment or insult???

I did a load of laundry because the knuckleheads forgot bathing suits and swam in their clothes. Technically two of the knuckleheads forgot bathing suits. The third just didnā€™t put it on.
And while we are on the forgetful topic, two of the boys forgot toothbrushes. And the third forgot toothpaste. College boysšŸ¤¦šŸ¼ā€ā™€ļø
3523CE4C-7F5F-42B9-AC80-25946179426D.jpeg

Then I made breakfast.
39DA6C0B-D19F-4439-A4AF-807348F03C3A.jpeg

B101D656-0733-4BEC-A938-81201E7DB849.jpeg

And we headed to the bus stop with our ā€œcoffeeā€šŸ˜‚
(I was teaching them how to really enjoy Disney)
70A536F3-05C3-4C47-B3CD-629F7E3CB442.jpeg

Look at that weatheršŸ‘ŽBut we were prepared.
30D7C4F5-ADF0-45F9-9746-26A9615BD822.jpeg

cgersic

And the bathroom. Hallelujah for a second bathroom!
That made me smile harder than it should have šŸ˜ That is some serious pixie dust there! You look like you feel fabulous, and so does M! Can't wait to see what happens next. Edit: I just saw what happens next. I LOVE your kind of breakfast!! However, orange juice would make me do what you had done the night before, so I use pomegranate!

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

Saturday February 6 cont

After our purposefully bland lunch I went to the front desk. My oldest son, X was coming later with a friend, or two or three? X plus one we could handle. X would share the king with me and the plus one was bringing an air mattress. But every single time I spoke to X the cast of characters changed so I had not done anything to prepare for them/him.

I met up with Corinne at the front desk. I explained, ā€œmy son is coming and may bring a couple friends. Our room only sleeps 4, so, since we are in the one bedroom part of a lockoff I was wondering if the connecting studio is available and if I would be able to pay cash?ā€ Corinne handed me off to Jean and I explained again. I also told him I wasnā€™t positive what I was doing but wanted to know my options.

Jean checked his computer and verified the room was indeed empty. He explained I would have to call the reservation number as they were not allowed to do cash reservations at the front desk. He assured me he put a hold on the room and if I needed it it would be there.

I thanked him and M and I walked outside. I told M we had to get ā€œthe horse pictureā€ everyone gets when at SSR. But instead I sat on a bench just outside the Carriage House and called my son to see if they were on the road and what the head count was.

Jean came running out, ā€œHANG UP! HANG UP!ā€
I told X I would call him back.
I told Jean that I was talking to my son.
ā€œOhā€, he said, ā€œI thought you were calling reservations and I am going to make some magic for you!ā€
I was speechless.
Long story short:
They ended up giving me the two bedroom preferred room and I only paid (in points) for a studio non-preferred. And I hadnā€™t even played the food poisoning card!

I purchased one day park hoppers for the boys and thanked everyone a million times.
I had brought one of Xā€™s magic bands but the other two boys got these.
View attachment 532982

Then, M and I took our horse picture. I called my son to get his ETA and face timed my husband to tell him about the amazing pixie dusting I had just gotten. Then I texted a good friend who was also in WDW and made a plan to meet up.
View attachment 532981
That free upgrade was SUPER! I have to wonder, @Darstarr is such a frequent visitor, and letā€™s face it, spends ALOT of $$ at WDW, when they look her up in the system, bells šŸ”” and whistles šŸŽ‰ must come up saying, **EXCELLENT CUSTOMER** , you deserve the free upgrade!

I hope their system is smart enough to know this, but for whatever reason, good work by the castmember and you deserve it and I am happy for you!

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Sheā€™s had two siblings for quite a while. Belle and ranger. Both of them showed up at our house hungry and scared. Range was abused as a puppy we think. It took him a long time to warm up to anyone except A. Heā€™s a healthy happy boy now, even if he looks a little grumpy in this picture
View attachment 533138

I have an air mattress here and packed a pillow and blankets in anticipation of the roads being too bad to drive on. The state is providing us with food and water as well, so Iā€™m good!
Ranger is gorgeous. And who took the picture? I am assuming it was A because you are somewhere being provided with food and water by the state. Hmmmm....
pirates of the caribbean dog GIF by Disney Parks

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
That made me smile harder than it should have šŸ˜ That is some serious pixie dust there! You look like you feel fabulous, and so does M! Can't wait to see what happens next. Edit: I just saw what happens next. I LOVE your kind of breakfast!! However, orange juice would make me do what you had done the night before, so I use pomegranate!
That is why I go light on the juicešŸ¤Ŗ

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
That free upgrade was SUPER! I have to wonder, @Darstarr is such a frequent visitor, and letā€™s face it, spends ALOT of $$ at WDW, when they look her up in the system, bells šŸ”” and whistles šŸŽ‰ must come up saying, **EXCELLENT CUSTOMER** , you deserve the free upgrade!

I hope their system is smart enough to know this, but for whatever reason, good work by the castmember and you deserve it and I am happy for you!
Thank you. I donā€™t think the system works quite like that but...when Jean was in my MDE linking the boys tickets he said, ā€œwow! You have a lot of Magic Bands.ā€ So I guess they could figure it out but they have to be looking for it?? I have no idea actually....

The manager, Jeff, who made it happen said they love to give upgrades when they arenā€™t busy.ā€ FYI it took close to an hour for the whole process but some of the delay was due to family in MDE having the same name. Jean and I began talking in avatars. ā€œLink Goofy, not Hamm.ā€ šŸ˜‚

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Sunday February 7th cont

We arrived about 8:30 and I immediately called for a picture.
X: ā€œI also warned them you take a lot of pictures.ā€

Xā€™s friends had been to WDW before but over 10 years ago. So much changes that if you have not been in 10 years it is like itā€™s your first time all over again. I wanted to take pictures for them.
380487AE-3154-46F3-8A7D-9FDA748FE0AD.jpeg

2F9054C2-0870-4776-BA3A-FC8234945581.jpeg

C84380C7-1615-48D7-BFEC-64FBAFA196FE.jpeg

We walked down main street and took a few more.
FFD23451-6500-4A79-A19C-2AA4EC8FADD2.jpeg

2B470584-729D-44D8-A0AE-4E2457B3DEAA.jpeg

D97132C4-9F4D-4943-9848-A3DCE67750D5.jpeg

Then we went around the side of the castle towards BTMRR. There is usually a P3 there. And score! He was there and alone!
44C843F9-2613-405A-829E-8896A4ED9C22.jpeg

D9003455-1168-4B58-B1F0-A1DA7AB0E49B.jpeg

The boys yelled out ā€œPROM POSE!ā€
I guess M and I weren't invited to the prom.
73AF3344-81E2-40BF-8225-D20FBFDC224B.jpeg

This picture took me awhile to understand. Now, I assume because you can not take pictures with characters, they add a bunch of photos of characters into you PP account. I just thought this was a picture of Cinderella. It took me two days before I saw what was going on herešŸ˜‚

72F844C2-1F6F-4CB2-9A3D-4736D31CE01F.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom