Trip Report The ONE with the Bowl that was not so Super šŸš½ 2/5-2/9, 2021*COMPLETED*

giphy.gif

HA HA HA!!!
Hello everybody! I returned yesterday from a last minute long weekend to WDW.
How? Who? Why? You ask. Well my Magical friends, here is everything you want to know, and maybe some things, you donā€™t.

It all began a few weeks ago at work when my bff/boss suggested we go to Disney for his birthday. I took him last year and we had a great time. We looked at dates and flights and room rates and hemmed and hawed for a couple days. We decided we would go Presidentā€™s weekend. But my kids would be out of school and they would want to go. Then, texting with @Tuvalu she said ā€œyouā€™re going presidentā€™s weekend!?!?šŸ˜³šŸ˜³šŸ˜³ā€

Ok, she didnā€™t say it like that but that is how I heard it in my mind. I said to my friend, M, ā€œwhat the heck are we thinking? Letā€™s go the weekend before.ā€ His sister/business partner/my other boss gave her blessing (then promptly booked a whole week in Florida for herself at the end of the month) and we started looking at rooms.
Pop was cheap with the AP discount so I booked.

We picked out our flights, then added a day and picked out new flights. Friday came, my day off and two weeks before departure and we had decided on everything. All we had to do was book the flights, which were $69 each way. Then I looked again and the flights were down to $49 each way. I texted M, ā€œBOOK BOOK BOOK! This is not a drill!!!ā€

Then Saturday came and I canceled Pop and booked a studio at Saratoga Springs Resort using my DVC points. Bought Mā€™s park ticket and made park reservations and some ADRā€™s. I also filled out the Magical Express request form and ordered a couple t-shirts.

13 days to go and we were all set.

MickeyCB

Food poisoning has many causes. Sure, serving spoiled food is one cause but there is also cross contamination. A cook or bartender or server might not have washed his or her hands properly. Fresh fruit or veggies might have been contaminated at the farm with tainted water and not washed properly before serving. The water in the dishwasher might not be hot enough to disinfect the plates and flatware. And so on and so on.
Timing wise the cupcakes makes perfect sense but a cupcake is not usually a carrier of food borne illness (unless the people handling the cupcakes contaminated them).

We have landed on the French Fry appetizer as the most likely culprit but we donā€™t know for certain.
You are much much more knowledgeable regarding food prep, safety, etc. than me.
What was the sauce on the French fries?
What I know from my end of things is you ingest something called a preformed toxin produced by certain bacteria, and because it's ready to go when you are eating it, it causes rapid onset of symptoms. Nasty, nasty stuff.

And I have a question. With your experience/food expertise, do you think this was a one off experience, or should we avoid that dish in the future?

Last edited:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
So what made us sick?

We donā€™t really know for sure so I never did call to report it. While the poutine seems like it could be the culprit I doubt it was. There were over twelve hours between when we ate the poutine and we got sick. Generally speaking, illness begins 3-8 hours after ingestion. (Size, metabolism etc play a role).

Dinner seems like the obvious choice but not the entrees. I did not try his burger and he did not try my brisket. Although he did point out that there was brisket in his burger. So maybe. But I donā€™t think so.

The strawberry drink? Perhaps.

Food poisoning has many causes. Sure, serving spoiled food is one cause but there is also cross contamination. A cook or bartender or server might not have washed his or her hands properly. Fresh fruit or veggies might have been contaminated at the farm with tainted water and not washed properly before serving. The water in the dishwasher might not be hot enough to disinfect the plates and flatware. And so on and so on.

Timing wise the cupcakes makes perfect sense but a cupcake is not usually a carrier of food borne illness (unless the people handling the cupcakes contaminated them).

We have landed on the French Fry appetizer as the most likely culprit but we donā€™t know for certain.

There's nothing worse than getting sick while on vacation, away from home. Sorry to hear about this. I'll bet that the most frustrating part was just not knowing WHAT caused it. That's often the case with food poisoning, especially when you had meals at multiple locations. Glad you're feeling better now.

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
I am due to take my health dept recertification class & test that I have to do every 5 years.
May I suggest to them that you teach the course b/c you put it in plain, simple English & your explanations are very cut & dry compared to what I'm going to have to deal with here soonšŸ¤¦ā€ā™€ļø
Haha. I took that class many times. I even taught that class...well, not that exact class, but a similar class we had to take every two years.

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
You are much much more knowledgeable regarding food prep, safety, etc. than me.
What was the sauce on the French fries?
What I know from my end of things is you ingest something called a preformed toxin produced by certain bacteria, and because it's ready to go when you are eating it, it causes rapid onset of symptoms. Nasty, nasty stuff.

And I have a question. With your experience/food expertise, do you think this was a one off experience, or should we avoid that dish in the future?
The rapidness really depends on what you have ingested. Some items digest more slowly. Some people digest (their food) more slowly. Since it took a bit I do not think it was any of the drinks, they would have digested quicker. Honestly, it was probably the meat but I canā€™t see how.
Also, I very much think this was a one off. A food handler got lazy and M and I paid the price.

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
There's nothing worse than getting sick while on vacation, away from home. Sorry to hear about this. I'll bet that the most frustrating part was just not knowing WHAT caused it. That's often the case with food poisoning, especially when you had meals at multiple locations. Glad you're feeling better now.
Thank you for the kind words @MinnieM123
When I returned home I slept. And hydrated. And slept some more!

cdeev8690

Oh no! What started out so beautifully, took a rather unfortunate turn. I hope you were able to salvage the rest of your trip after such a difficult evening.

I also was victimized by food poisoning at Disney many years ago. I suspect that it happened at the breakfast buffet at Crystal Palace. I was out of commission for a night and a full day and it was obviously upsetting because IT'S VACATION, you're not supposed to get sick! But it was also my Senior Trip and and something I had been looking forward to for years, as is the tradition in my childhood hometown. When I think back on the trip, the food poisoning was a small blip but overall it was worth the hype in my head. It was an amazing time and I made the most of it. I'm sure you also did! Looking forward to reading the rest

Last edited:

Billy6

Friday February 5th cont

We left Jockā€™s (we are on a first name basis nowšŸ˜‰) and headed back out into DS where we window shopped.
Loved this Man City jersey!
View attachment 531844
Not a huge nike fan and these did not do it for me. @Billy6 would you wear these?
View attachment 531845

We reached the end of DS so we sat down at the outside bar at City Works. I have been dying to eat here since it opened and have had to cancel multiple reservations for one reason or another. However, I will take what I can get, and today it was a drink at the bar in the sunshine (it was chilly so the šŸŒž felt great).
Also, during my holiday drink quest I came across the French 75? French 15? whatever it is called. I purchased the ingredients and tinkered. I wanted to see if it tasted better when a professional made it.
View attachment 531846
Our bartenderā€™s name was Christine and she asked if I wanted it traditional or on ice.
ā€œWhy would you put it on ice?ā€
ā€œWhen itā€™s warm out.ā€
ā€œWellā€, I answered, ā€œthere is a sliver of sun. I will try it on ice.ā€
View attachment 531847

We shared it. It was light and refreshing. This would be good at the beach with a bacon, egg and cheese.
View attachment 531848

We had a dinner reservation at the Edison. I had never been and the menu is M approved. One thing about Mā€™s eating habits, that is, his diet. It is awful. Terrible. Picky picky picky. He wonā€™t eat chicken! But he will eat a tuna fish sandwichšŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø
Therefore, any place we ate had to have something for M. The Edison had a burger which he eatsšŸ‘

On the way, I saw some old friends:
View attachment 531849
View attachment 531850
ā¤ļøšŸŒ“
Negative....I would not wear Nike as they would burn my feet. 3 Stripe Life for me....

Man City šŸ¤®

amjt660

Premium Member
Gelatinous gravy on your poutine might be the culprit. When in doubt, just blame Canada!
canada blame GIF

Sorry @amjt660! šŸ˜‰
OK so first off - I'm sorry

Wait - stop - force of habit

But secondly - this poutine was bought in an American restaurant in Disney Springs
Not at the Canadian pavilion in Epcot
Which to the best of my understanding might not even have any Canadians working there anymore

So to summarize...

I am sorry

Max

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

OK so first off - I'm sorry - wait - stop - force of habit

But secondly - this poutine was bought in an American restaurant in Disney Springs
Which to the best of my understanding might not even have any Canadians working there anymore

So to summarize

I am sorry

Max
Are you getting us back for shutting down that pipeline one American Disney Fan at a time? šŸ™‚
For the record, I did NOT want the pipe line shut down šŸ™

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Negative....I would not wear Nike as they would burn my feet. 3 Stripe Life for me....

Man City šŸ¤®
Good man. Nike is the šŸ‘¹
As for Man City...it was a cool jersey. Way nicer than Arsenalā€™s jersey. Or have you seen PSGā€™s 4th??? Hideous! The worst!!

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No

So to summarize

I am sorry

Max
giphy.gif

Apology accepted. But I am pretty sure it was not Canadaā€™s fault.
....this time....

Loco_driver

So to summarize

I am sorry

Max
Apology accepted? One other thing. Weā€™d like to thank you for letting us borrow a little bit of winter, but weā€™d really like it if you took it back now.
0D90DD68-DE69-43CD-A262-87C9FD4DFE7B.jpeg

963FF574-06DA-47F0-BB6C-F9283C0BC2EA.jpeg

F18E62E5-887A-4C64-B7D6-7D64FB41C6D8.jpeg

I know that 9 inches of snow and -2 degrees is like a warm spring morning for you guys, but at 7 am it was -4 degrees with a windchill of -20. That is the second coldest temperature ever recorded here, the coldest being -8 in the winter of 1899!

Back!Elbow!Shoulders!

Omnia mutantur, nihil interit
Premium Member
Apology accepted? One other thing. Weā€™d like to thank you for letting us borrow a little bit of winter, but weā€™d really like it if you took it back now.
View attachment 532847

View attachment 532846

View attachment 532845

I know that 9 inches of snow and -2 degrees is like a warm spring morning for you guys, but at 7 am it was -4 degrees with a windchill of -20. That is the second coldest temperature ever recorded here, the coldest being -8 in the winter of 1899!

As much as I can look that snow and temps and not be impressed I do genuinely feel bad for all you Texans. You guys just arenā€™t equipped for this clothing and infrastructure-wise. Hope it warms up soon.

How did Pickle like the snow?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom