The One Sentence Competition Retrospectives: Seasons 1-8

Disney Warrior

"1972 : in real life, Disney was concerned that Pirates of the Caribbean wouldn't be exciting to Floridians since we are so close to the actual Caribbean so they originally planned to replace it with a similar attraction but with a different theme. In this scenario, you as imagineers have to come up with an 'elevator pitch' for an E-ticket style dark ride in Adventureland or Frontierland, to fill in the void of Pirates in the Magic Kingdom."
How about something in frontierland themed to the Oregon trail?

Brer Panther

"1972 : in real life, Disney was concerned that Pirates of the Caribbean wouldn't be exciting to Floridians since we are so close to the actual Caribbean so they originally planned to replace it with a similar attraction but with a different theme. In this scenario, you as imagineers have to come up with an 'elevator pitch' for an E-ticket style dark ride in Adventureland or Frontierland, to fill in the void of Pirates in the Magic Kingdom."
Three words: The Jungle Book - still a recent movie in 1972, and has the potential for a great dark ride (maybe not a boat ride, though, so it's not too similar to the Jungle Cruise).

Lord Fozzinator

In the Parks
No
Alright so I have a pitch maybe Western River Expedition, but this version will be different. The first part of the ride would be a gondola dark ride and the second part of the ride would be in a boat. For Adventureland I propose a coaster through the jungles of South America and it would go all around the land.

WaltWiz1901

For Frontierland, a boat ride through the exploits of the masked avenger of early California...
Zorro!

Tony the Tigger

I absolutely love any history on the American revolution but this is Frontierland which is mainly based on manifest destiny and the westward expansion of the United States
Actually, it’s in Adventureland in WDW and I misread the prompt.

If it can go in either Frontierland or Adventureland, but not necessarily where Pirates is now, then I’d put it on the border of Frontierland and Liberty Square. Not perfect, but this was an off the cuff answer, not the competition.

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Actually, it’s in Adventureland in WDW and I misread the prompt.

If it can go in either Frontierland or Adventureland, but not necessarily where Pirates is now, then I’d put it on the border of Frontierland and Liberty Square. Not perfect, but this was an off the cuff answer, not the competition.
Not too worried about rules or anything. This isn't part of the game, just fun looking back at old prompts and doing what ifs

I really love everyone's ideas btw

Boston Tea Party, Zorro, Jungle Book, blended ride systems, Oregon Trail, history of human evolution... these are all really cool!

Personally a Zorro or Lone Ranger type hero of the wild west attraction has always been a dream. Or perhaps a boat ride to El Dorado for Adventureland

cdunlap

How about a ride through the Pre-colonial American world of the Mayans, Incas, Taino, Muysca, and Aztecs for Adventureland or a ride through the Pacific Northwest for Frontierland complete with several appearances by that areas culturally diverse Natives?

Last edited:

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
1SC Retrospective
Season 2, Episode 4 - What If?

tot-elsa-jpg.172335

Hosted by: @Daveeeeed
Started on: October 29th, 2016
Won by: A Tie between @FigmentPigments and Your's Truly

Season 2 saw the game evolve from a vague concept of a game into a competition that can stand on its own! Episode 4 completed this evolution!

Technically this was still a part of the Imagineering Weekends. But that was really in name only at this point as the Weekends event had mostly faded away.

This episode had the theme of "What If?" where each round centered around the idea "What if this thing never existed?" Rounds involved stuff like replacing Tower of Terror of Journey into the Crystal Grotto.

The competition continued to grow with the addition of bonuses!

In addition to using 1-5 sentences and up to 2 pictures for the main prompt, you could use 1-2 sentences to also do a bonus addition to your project. The bonus was the same for every round, "Design a Holiday Overlay," and was there mostly just for fun, but the bonus did decide the winner as a tie break in one or two rounds.

This was one of the more in depth seasons. If you used every sentence and did the bonus projects could get up to 7 sentences! Which doesn't sound like a lot, but is more than triple most of the previous seasons. This came with pros and cons of course. On one hand, it expanded both what players and hosts could do with the game! On the other hand it began to stray from the simple charm and ease that the game was originally based on.

Once again, the balance between simplicity and expansion. The constant struggle of the One Sentence Comp. That doesn't necessarily have a clear answer of which is better. The game always tends to swing like pendulum back and forth between bigger and smaller scale.

This Episode introduced bonuses which have become a staple of the game to add an extra fun wrinkle and/or help balance the scores. While the bonuses have taken many forms, the tradition will be kept alive in some form going into the future!

Check out the 4th Episode of the 2nd Season here!

As a Discussion Question for today, let's look at my favorite prompt from Season 2, Episode 4!

"CHALLENGE 2: Replace any ride in Disneyland Paris with the park's first (as of the time of the comp) E-Ticket in the 21st Century"

On a personal note, this prompt is my favorite because it was the first thing I did on this forum. Part of what makes the One Sentence Comp so special to me is that it was my entry point into this whole world of online armchair imagineering! And I still enjoy this game years later! I hope to help introduce others to this forum through this game too!​

WaltWiz1901

"CHALLENGE 2: Replace any ride in Disneyland Paris with the park's first (as of the time of the comp) E-Ticket in the 21st Century"

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Peril is replaced with a version of the fuller, more elaborate Indiana Jones and the Lost Expedition originally planned for Disneyland: the Indiana Jones Adventure EMV dark ride, a redone Temple of Peril, and with the Disneyland Railroad passing through the temple on its way around the park.​

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
I’d replace that Indy coaster with a new indiana jones emv ride telling an original story (not based on a movie)

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Peril is replaced with a version of the fuller, more elaborate Indiana Jones and the Lost Expedition originally planned for Disneyland: the Indiana Jones Adventure EMV dark ride, a redone Temple of Peril, and with the Disneyland Railroad passing through the temple on its way around the park.​
Gotta love Indiana Jones E-Tickets. His adventures lend themselves so well to big event rides like this

Indiana jones is replaced with a jungle book boat ride similar to the jungle cruise
This would be great! Especially because Paris doesn't have Jungle Cruise unless I just forgot about it
How about replacing the Pinocchio ride with an Alice in Wonderland-themed indoor spinning coaster?
I honestly can't believe there's never been an Alice spinning coaster built at any disney park. It seems like such an obvious slam dunk

I’d replace Cars: Road Trip, if WDSP is an option. If not… maybe one of the dark rides?
I think the original project was specifically the castle park, but there aren't really any rules here aside from having fun and replacing Cars: Road Trip is a worthy endeavor lol

Maybe they could reuse the big trams and take out the Cars stuff. Replace it with something that leans into the Studio theme. Make it some kind of Tour through a Backlot full of props and sets with a climax of being put right in the middle of an active film shoot full of fire and water effects! Idk but to me that sounds like a great idea! :p

Miru

Journey Thru The Disney Vault, a replacement for Cars Road Trip, serves as a history of Disney parks taken by tram, showing authentic, restored props and segments of beloved rides past & present, and even some that never came to be will materialize for the first time ever, such as the giant Ursula head from the original version of Ariel’s Undersea Adventure, the Beastly Kingdom dragon, & even entire unmade parks, making this chaotic experience a delightful must-do for Disney fans everywhere, to see their old favorites one more time.

WaltWiz1901

I honestly can't believe there's never been an Alice spinning coaster built at any disney park. It seems like such an obvious slam dunk
Amen...actually, in general, Alice in Wonderland is ripe for more than just the usual teacup spinner (and the additional small attractions that it's accompanied by in Anaheim and Paris)!
I've been armchair Imagineering a dream resort for a while, and in its castle park would be a Wonderland mini-land

Miru

Amen...actually, in general, Alice in Wonderland is ripe for more than just the usual teacup spinner (and the additional small attractions that it's accompanied by in Anaheim and Paris)!
I've been armchair Imagineering a dream resort for a while, and in its castle park would be a Wonderland mini-land
Great idea for a mini land indeed. I think taking out the speedway could make a solid mini-land for it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom