In the Parks
Yes
1SC Retrospective
Season 2, Episode 1

d9qnu43-53a81e5e-3fca-4bf2-a376-df77ac203f7f.png

Hosted by: @tcool123
Started on: February 19th, 2016
Won by: @spacemt354

Season 2 is when the initial idea of this game began to form into The One Sentence Competition as we know it today!

This Season started as a part of the Imagineering Weekends. This was a series of casual games played over the weekends on this forum. Simple and goofy things usually like Where in the World or joke threads based around things like Whose Line is it Anyways. These Imagineering Weekends things sound fun maybe they should be brought back too

I wasn't around during the actual Imagineering Weekends events, but many of the most popular threads kept going long after the weekends they were originally intended for because they were just pure fun.

There was only 4 rounds in this episode making it the shortest full season of the game so far. The game started with the same "2 sentences max, no pictures" rule as the first season, but as this episode went on each round expanded more and more. By the end it involved map making and 5 sentences.

There was some controversies. Problems that started here and has been a consistent struggle with the game.
  • The balance between it being fun to write a bit more and that taking away from the simplicity​
  • The risk of accidentally judging a one sentence project as more of a short project rather than an elevator pitch​
  • The struggle of how to expand and grow the game as it continues without losing it's charm and ease​

These three points of contention started here and have continued even into the most recent episodes. It can be a tough balancing act to host the one sentence comp and accommodate the different view points on how people want it to go. And with this being so early in the game's life there wasn't much of a history to look back on and learn from. @tcool123 handled it with grace, was very open to feedback, and did a great job pulling it together. Even creating an anonymous survey to learn how to improve the experience in future Episodes!

The game had some growing pains at the start, but this was part of building this into an amazing game! The feedback he received and the way he responded to it are definitely going to be kept in mind as we head into the future!

Check out the 1st Episode of the 2nd Season here!

As a Discussion Question for today, let's look at one of my favorite prompts from Season 2, Episode 1!

"CHALLENGE 3: Create a new Daytime Show for the Hollywood Hills Amphitheater (The Fantasmic Theater) without using Star Wars, the MCU, or Toy Story"

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Turn fantasmic into a daytime show somehow
If the castle stage shows can work during the day, then everything other than the fountain projections should work more or less the same. A daytime edition of Fantasmic would be fun!

This is a tricky one... something similar to that Cinemagic thing they had at Disneyland Paris?
Cinemagic always looked like such a fun concept for a show! I would adore something like that coming to Studios

maybe a show based on the history of Disney world. Also don’t you mean hoo Pi.
I'm always a sucker for disney history!

Hoo's on first?

Pirates of the Caribbean. Done.
Short sweet and too the point. And honestly a great idea

I've thought for years that a daytime version of Fantasmic focused on live action films anchored by a showstopper Pirates of the Caribbean scene would be AMAZING

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
1SC Retrospective
Season 2, Episode 2

Started on: April 16th, 2016
Won by: @spacemt354 once again!

Season 2, Episode 2 continued to refine the original concept of the game.

This was once again a part of the Imagineering Weekends. Thus, there was only 4 rounds in this episode making it tie for the shortest full season of the game so far.

This game scaled back to the rule of only 2 sentences and no pictures. Simplified and streamlined.

There was only 8 players involved and not everyone played in every round. This smaller cast allowed the prompts to get more specific and small scale which added a bit of a different vibe. Nearly every round had an extra challenge or restriction on what IP could be used to push people to think outside the box!

Not too much new to this season, just a solid refining and continuation of the previous Episode. Which was exactly what this Episode needed to be. It took what worked and focused on that and it took what didn't and cut it back. The 1-2 punch from TCool at the start of Season 2 set up the game to grow into what it became! A strong foundation lead by a host willing to listen to feedback and grow from that.

This effort to build on what came before it is definitely something that will continue on into the future (and is partly what prompted this retrospective!)

Check out the 2nd Episode of the 2nd Season here!

As a Discussion Question for today, let's look at my favorite prompt from Season 2, Episode 2!

"CHALLENGE 1: E.P.F.O.T - Add a new Flat Ride to any existing EPCOT Pavilion"

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
1SC Retrospective
Season 2, Episode 2

Started on: April 16th, 2016
Won by: @spacemt354 once again!

Season 2, Episode 2 continued to refine the original concept of the game.

This was once again a part of the Imagineering Weekends. Thus, there was only 4 rounds in this episode making it tie for the shortest full season of the game so far.

This game scaled back to the rule of only 2 sentences and no pictures. Simplified and streamlined.

There was only 8 players involved and not everyone played in every round. This smaller cast allowed the prompts to get more specific and small scale which added a bit of a different vibe. Nearly every round had an extra challenge or restriction on what IP could be used to push people to think outside the box!

Not too much new to this season, just a solid refining and continuation of the previous Episode. Which was exactly what this Episode needed to be. It took what worked and focused on that and it took what didn't and cut it back. The 1-2 punch from TCool at the start of Season 2 set up the game to grow into what it became! A strong foundation lead by a host willing to listen to feedback and grow from that.

This effort to build on what came before it is definitely something that will continue on into the future (and is partly what prompted this retrospective!)

Check out the 2nd Episode of the 2nd Season here!

As a Discussion Question for today, let's look at my favorite prompt from Season 2, Episode 2!

I loved this prompt because I've thought for a long time that flat rides were sorely missing at epcot. Perhaps a Mary Poppins carousel in the UK or a really colorful and crazy looking spinner by imagination? Some stuff both to add some "filler" rides for the whole family and to add some more life/kinetic energy to the park

What do yall think?

Miru

For those prompts:

1. Turn A Goofy Movie into a stage musical using elaborate Broadway-style puppets, (plus the expected costumes) plus some audience participation in the show as well for added spice, giving the area a new coat of paint.

2. Groot’s Swing-a-Song, a swing ride similar to Silly Symphony springs, placed at the GOTG CR pavillion as a flat ride and space-taker.

Last edited:

WaltWiz1901

"CHALLENGE 3: Create a new Daytime Show for the Hollywood Hills Amphitheater (The Fantasmic Theater) without using Star Wars, the MCU, or Toy Story"
A show about the history of Mickey Mouse (or the history of Disney Animation as a whole, with an ending very much like that of Once Upon a Studio)
Pretty simple, this, but a Dreamcatcher spinner in the Imagination Pavilion

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
I feel like the Imagination Pavilion would work the best for a flat ride... it'd probably have to be outside. Maybe it could be a recreation of the origami merry-go-round in the original version.
Oh that could be super fun!

Maybe find a way to move the carpets to the Morocco pavilion?
The World Showcase could really use a nice flat back in that half of the park

For those prompts:

1. Turn A Goofy Movie into a stage musical using elaborate Broadway-style puppets, (plus the expected costumes) plus some audience participation in the show as well for added spice, giving the area a new coat of paint.

2. Groot’s Swing-a-Song, a swing ride similar to Silly Symphony springs, placed at the GOTG CR pavillion as a flat ride and space-taker.
Love this! That side of Future World really is lacking in kinetic energy and a nice spinner like that would help a lot

Drop tower for the space pavilion
Yes! Love a good drop tower

A show about the history of Mickey Mouse (or the history of Disney Animation as a whole, with an ending very much like that of Once Upon a Studio)

Pretty simple, this, but a Dreamcatcher spinner in the Imagination Pavilion
Love both of those ideas! A lot of fun!

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
1SC Retrospective
Season 2, Episode 3

onesentancecontest_zpsperrc3pr.png

(The logo says season 3, but it was retconned back into season 2)

Hosted by: @spacemt354
Started on: August 25th, 2016
Won by: @FigmentPigments

Season 2, Episode 3 was the first time the game would be used as a lead-in/compliment for a larger game.

Technically this was still a part of the Imagineering Weekends. But Space took the game and expanded it to really stand on its own beyond just the weekend events.

This episode served as a lead in for the Twist in Time Competition. It featured the same time travel theme as the larger game did and was a perfect warm up for Twist in Time. All while still standing on its own.

Many of the biggest tenants of the One Sentence Competition started here. The drop in/drop out format, the more community based focus over competitiveness, the classic Gold/Silver/Bronze medal clip art used in several Episodes since...

gold_medal.png

This Episode sought to expand the game and try to stand on its own (while still keeping the small scale charm). Up to 5 sentences could be used plus a picture or music! But Space's very casual and light hearted style as a host kept it from feeling like too much or overwhelming. It was simply allowing people who wanted to do more to do more without the pressure making them feel like they had to.

Other measures taken against people getting too intense with the competitiveness were things like having multiple rounds where multiple people would tie for different medals. And a Dundies award ceremony at the end where everyone got an award unique to them (A @spacemt354 specialty). This kept the game being pure fun.

It wasn't a perfect episode and the game still had some growing pains, but this episode did amazing work serving as a bridge taking the game into the future!

This was also the first time there was a "theme" to the One Sentence Competition with the time travel set up. Each round taking place in a different year. The addition of themes to most rounds is one of the things that has kept the game feeling fresh for 10 years! While the theme of the next episode is a lot more subtle, the tradition of having a "focus" for every Episode is alive and well.

Check out the 3rd Episode of the 2nd Season here!

As a Discussion Question for today, let's look at one of my favorite prompts from Season 2, Episode 3!

"1972 : in real life, Disney was concerned that Pirates of the Caribbean wouldn't be exciting to Floridians since we are so close to the actual Caribbean so they originally planned to replace it with a similar attraction but with a different theme. In this scenario, you as imagineers have to come up with an 'elevator pitch' for an E-ticket style dark ride in Adventureland or Frontierland, to fill in the void of Pirates in the Magic Kingdom."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom