Trip Report THE ONE...(February 2020)*COMPLETE*

Ladies, gentlemen, boys and girls of all ages and fellow Magicians, as you can see, I am having a little trouble with the title of this trip report. It could be “THE ONE FOR MY BEST FRIEND’S BIRTHDAY”, or “THE ONE WHERE I LEFT MY BRAIN AT HOME.” Or there is, “THE ONE WHERE I GOT A GLIMPSE OF A DISNEY LEGEND”. There is also, “THE ONE WHERE WE JOINED THE RESISTANCE”.
I think I will begin title less and let all you good people have a say when it is over.

We always begin with the why.
A small bit of background first:
M and I have been friend’s since college (a looong time😎). M’s family has a small family business. When my kids were little my job got to be too much (70-100 hours a week) so I left. When my youngest started Kindergarten M’s family asked me if I would come work for them part time. It is not what I went to school for but it offered me flexibility for the kids, and besides, how do you say no to family?
So some of you may have figured it out, M is not only my friend, but my boss as well.

M is a great friend! No really! Die hard Met fan who will go with me to see the Dodgers when they are in town and actually root (🎶root root🎶) for the Dodgers.
21B50DAE-E983-4578-8D31-4A8BAD4D8EA8.jpeg

M had a birthday coming up. M’s sister and two grown nieces are big Disney fans and we are always talking about what is new with the parks, food and the shopping😍. Poor M, always left out. So I asked if he wanted to go for his Birthday. “YES”, was his answer BTW. (Plus, my oldest son, X had a lacrosse game in Jacksonville so we got to see that as well.)
M hadn't been to WDW in 20 years! So we got the time off from HR (M’s sister🤣) and I started planning.
I will say, taking a newbie (after a 20 year absence you revert to newbie status-this is the way) to WDW is fun! I got to see everything through his eyes, like it was the first time. Plus, if I made a miscalculation or left something out—he had no way of knowing!!!🤣🤣 M’s only request: “can we ride the teacups?” (and he asked X to score 5 goals for him as a birthday gift-stay tuned for that)
“Of course we can!” My family will never ride the teacups with me so I haven't been on them in at least 10 years. This was off to a promising start!!!

tiggerlvr

Monday February 10 cont

We made it to Epcot without issue and headed to the land. M had noticed the big food court the day before and (wrongly) assumed he could get a burger there. He ended up geting a kids pizza meal. At this point I was so hungry I could eat an avocado 🤢🥑
Just kidding-I dont think I could ever be that hungry!

What was the first stop?
Did you guess...
View attachment 452576
You all know me so well.

Second stop...
View attachment 452575
I was determined to have a poutine all to myself after the boys ate all of it on our last visit. That did not happen. See, in M’s world, french fries are a vegetable...and he has been trying to eat healthier. 😂
View attachment 452577
Table for two.

Next we walked on towards France. I wanted to try everything there but was not hungry enough for much. Hmmmm....what is M approved? Moelleux Aux Chocolats Valrhona!
For those of you who don't speak French, molten chocolate cake.
View attachment 452578
Ahh yes, and the frozen French Martini (vodka, chambord, pineapple, orange and grape juices with a lemon lime foam)
Both were absolutely delicious!

Then we saw the show would begin soon. And it was the new Beauty and the Beast sing along. M had liked the Frozen sing along so lets go!

They had some amazing items on display in the lobby to the theatre.
View attachment 452579

View attachment 452580

View attachment 452581

Then we entered the theatre and sat down.
View attachment 452582

And the show began:
View attachment 452583

View attachment 452586

Holy cannoli! Nope! No way! Never again!!!

Has anyone seen Wicked? I put off seeing it for years. I mean a retelling of The Wizard of Oz?!? Blasphemy! I finally saw it when my FIL had a couple tickets he couldn't use and to my surprise it wasn't blasphemy at all. It was good. It actually added to the original instead of detracting from it.

Ok, well, this is nothing like that. This is someone taking a great big 💩 on Beauty and the Beast. I thought the live action BatB was bad....this was so way worser. YES WORSER.

You're martini just reminded me, while we were there everywhere we went the kids would order the lemonade with the (insert flavor) foam. Everywhere but Chef Mickey's was out of the foam. Our last night we went to 1900 Park Fare where they also tried to order the special foam lemonade only to be told they were out. I finally asked why everyone was out and apparently the company that makes it went out of business and as they run out they aren't able to order more. She said to not expect to see the foam in the near future. I'm now curious if there is only one company in the world that made the stuff!

dizfan917

WOW.

I did NOT like the live action BatB, but I adore the original animated version (I also directed the musical a bunch of years ago... love it!). Why on earth would they bother putting some crummy version in there and bump out all but one showing of Impressions de France (which we also LOVE, btw)?!

Hmmmm... now, do I see it to see just how terrible it is or avoid it altogether?! decisions, decisions. @bee - did you see it?!

bee

Finally caught up! Loving your report, OBVS.

WOW.

I did NOT like the live action BatB, but I adore the original animated version (I also directed the musical a bunch of years ago... love it!). Why on earth would they bother putting some crummy version in there and bump out all but one showing of Impressions de France (which we also LOVE, btw)?!

Hmmmm... now, do I see it to see just how terrible it is or avoid it altogether?! decisions, decisions. @bee - did you see it?!
Nope, it opened shortly after my last trip.

Late, but here! I would have freaked out just as much seeing Joe Rohde!! I was there with my parents once during Star Wars Weekends and Anthony Daniels (C3PO) walked right past us on his way to his signing and we all freaked out, too :hilarious:
I have met and performed with Anthony Daniels! One of my coolest jobs EVER was singing in the choir for Star Wars in Concert. It was basically a concert of all the music from Star Wars while scenes from the movies play on a screen behind the orchestra and choir, and he was the narrator. Anthony (and it’s pronounced Antony, btw) came to greet us in our dressing room and gave us character notes. Our conductor took me and a few of the other singers to meet him in his dressing room and he signed our sheet music. 😵

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
You're martini just reminded me, while we were there everywhere we went the kids would order the lemonade with the (insert flavor) foam. Everywhere but Chef Mickey's was out of the foam. Our last night we went to 1900 Park Fare where they also tried to order the special foam lemonade only to be told they were out. I finally asked why everyone was out and apparently the company that makes it went out of business and as they run out they aren't able to order more. She said to not expect to see the foam in the near future. I'm now curious if there is only one company in the world that made the stuff!
That is bizzarre. I assumed it was house made. How hard could it be to make foam? Actually I have been trying to figure it out and have come up blank so maybe it is hard...

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
WOW.

It is like driving past the car crash...you can not help but look at it. My advice? If you go, do as @John Dulmage did and sit near the exit 😉 just in case.

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Finally caught up! Loving your report, OBVS.

Nope, it opened shortly after my last trip.

I have met and performed with Anthony Daniels! One of my coolest jobs EVER was singing in the choir for Star Wars in Concert. It was basically a concert of all the music from Star Wars while scenes from the movies play on a screen behind the orchestra and choir, and he was the narrator. Anthony (and it’s pronounced Antony, btw) came to greet us in our dressing room and gave us character notes. Our conductor took me and a few of the other singers to meet him in his dressing room and he signed our sheet music. 😵
You just gave my TR street cred!
Awesome story.

fractal

Monday February 10th

Good morning!
This is what Bay Lake looks like at 6:46am
View attachment 452185

And 6:47am
View attachment 452186

This is what the Contemporary looks like at 6:47am
View attachment 452187

And this is what breakfast looks like when you couldn’t get a FoP FP and are attempting to rope drop it.
View attachment 452188
At least the garbage can is clean. And for those of you wondering, it’s GREEN TEA!! Who do you think I am? @riverside ???😂

This is what two happy friends look like taking a selfie with THE Tree of Life.
View attachment 452189

And this is what a Disney Legend looks like:
View attachment 452190

View attachment 452191

View attachment 452192

We were walking merrily along into Pandora, following the crowds and I see a small film set. There was a dark background so I could not see who it was but I knew. I just knew. You know how sometimes you just know? It was like that. I knew.

I stopped and had a little freakout moment. M didn't know exactly what was going on but he knew enough by my behavior that it was someone. I snapped the photos and looked at everyone just scurrying by, totally oblivious to who was here. Right here. I swear he looked at me as I was having my little 🤩moment. No one else gave him the time of day.

We continued onto the line for FoP. View attachment 452194

🌴
View attachment 452195

The line took a lot longer than it should have. I have done standby before, many times, so I kinda know how long it should take. Usually during extra magic hours in the morning they send everyone through the FP line. I think at some point we were redirected to the standby line. (My theory in the next post) At that point there was a CM directing us and we were stopped a little bit and I asked what Joe was filming for.
“Who?”
We went into a part of the queue I do not ever remember seeing. There was a bathroom!!!
M and I got ino a conversation about how that works. Do you fight to rejoin your party? That could cause some ruffled feathers. Does the party step out of line then rejoin the line when done using the restroom? I think this would be even worse and cause even more ruffled feathers.
With that a young lady says, “excuse me, I was in the bathroom can I please pass to catch up with my brother?”
“Yes, yes you may and that answers that question.”

Cool!

Did you ask him to fix the Yeti? :D

fractal

Monday February 10 cont

We were done with FoP at 9:00. The park was just opening for non resort guests. We headed to Dinoland. First we rode Dinosaur. There were some really annoying cheerleaders in the preshow. Speaking of the preshow...they should totally update it and use:
giphy.gif

Ha ha ha!!!

View attachment 452408

Then we stopped to refill this bad boy
View attachment 452399
Who am I kidding...first we went to the restroom, then we got the popcorn. M noticed Triceratops spin with no wait so why not?
View attachment 452400
For my friend El⬆

View attachment 452401

View attachment 452402

9:59:58
9:59:59
And 10:00!
View attachment 452403
Isn't that the saying? It’s 10:00 somewhere?

M’s sister was just getting to work so I sent her this picture. “What are you doing?” I asked her.
I can not repeat what she said because
giphy.gif

And I dont want to get banned from here😬

We had a Navi FP so back to Pandora we went. View attachment 452404

We stopped to watch the drummers and an official looking CM was standing there. You know the ones, with the garbage grabber none of them ever use. I asked him if Joe was gone.
“Joe is not here today.”
“Yes he was. I saw him. He was doing an interview right over there (points).”
“Joe the drummer?”
“No! Joe Rohde!”
“Oh, he must have been doing that Nat Geo thing. No I haven't seen him.”

So I will keep my eyes peeled for a “Nat Geo thing”. If any of you see it first, please let me know.

Some of my best work
View attachment 452405

View attachment 452406

Then we saw Lion King. M was amazed at the bird on a wire routine.
The beers were hitting us. Time to find a restroom before the safari. When I came out M was doing a little dance
giphy.gif

Men’s room was closed. We were cutting it close to FP end time. Off to Asia we went. While he did his thing, I did mine
View attachment 452407

You will notice only two flavors. The third was pure liquid. The lady in front of me got it. I said, “that’s not frozen. I am sure they will let you exchange it for one that is.”
She answered, “It’s got alcohol, I am good!”😂

Joe the drummer? Really?

Love the abstract Shaman!

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Cool!

Did you ask him to fix the Yeti? :D
No. But I wanted to. But I would have had to yell it and he was filming and I didn’t want to get kicked out of the park. I am funny that way.

Joe the drummer? Really?

Love the abstract Shaman!
Joe the drummer....some people do not get it😞
But you get my abstractness and Max got my baseball joke so that is all I need!

Loco_driver

No. But I wanted to. But I would have had to yell it and he was filming and I didn’t want to get kicked out of the park. I am funny that way.

Joe the drummer....some people do not get it😞
But you get my abstractness and Max got my baseball joke so that is all I need!
I too appreciated the baseball joke! I am from Texas, but an astros fan I am not!

DisneyGigi

Monday February 10th cont

I needed a stiff drink after that horror show. I settled for a Grand Marnier Slushee. I should say, we settled...two straws.
View attachment 452669
I must say @DisneyGigi I see why you add a touch of vanilla. I taste it now. I don't add the vanilla when I make them at home as I prefer the drink without. I also prefer the drink with extra Grand Marnier!
But you could see, a little vanilla didn't stop me😂
View attachment 452670

This made me think of @JIMINYCR
View attachment 452671

We stopped in America and I got the scallop with chorizo and red pepper coulis. There were plenty of picnic tables and we were going to sit a minute. I was going to enjoy my scallop and M had a problem at work to deal with.

No picture because there was a man and his wife in a scooter vacating a table, although there were plenty. I dont recall who started the interaction but it was pleasant and breezy and then...
Then he started rambling on and on. They live 10 minutes away because they had to sell their expensive house on the water they purchased after retirement. It was on the water. Then he mentioned it was a beautiful house on the water. And they couldn't afford it.
Ummmm, why did you buy it?
Then it got really bad. He started in with the politics. M loves politics so I knew he could hold his own. I wanted no part of any of it. I inhaled my now cold scallop, and excused myself to go to the restroom. HA! For the first time all day, I didn't really have to go.

When I came out they had left.

I thought M would like The American Adventure so we headed in.
I think this is the floor in there? Its kinda cool.
View attachment 452672

He was not too impressed with America Adventure.

Next was Italy.
View attachment 452673
Looks good right???
I ordered the wrong thing. In fact I wasn't even in the right place. 😂
This was a Limoncello something or other.
I took a sip, “it tastes like pledge! Here M, you try.”
“Pass and how do you know what pledge tastes like?”

I could tell M was starting to not feel well. Sometimes he can’t even tell but those around him can pick up on it. I suggested we watch the trains and drink some water. Water cures many an ailment.
View attachment 452674
View attachment 452675
View attachment 452676
After all the water we drank of course we had to use the restroom🤣

I was looking for the refreshment outpost because they had a beer from Boca I wanted to try. M was not feeling well and I must have walked right past it because I was so focused on him. Although I have this picture so we must have been right there.
Trunk up for luck!
View attachment 452677
We got to China and I realized I missed it. M suggested we go back but I knew he was fading fast so we pressed on. His niece had sent a picture of a mickey sorcerer loungefly backpack she wanted. Off to Mouse Gear to look. I think I got my AP magnet too. Or maybe I got it the previous night.
No luck with the backpack but we got M’s sister a cozy blanket as a thank you for holding down the fort while we were away.

We then headed for the monorail.

Get the big one! It comes with two shots and a shot on top. Don’t judge but I always get two. 😳😂 With the Luigi’s,to me, it is a bit too orange so I add the vanilla.
D8D09832-B4A6-4C19-8E4D-474A39E59E2D.jpeg

Now, I need one. 😩 Or two...
edit to add, Gigi does not share!!
B1B9D929-3586-4748-9A08-B7306CA15D47.gif

B gets a Moosehead or two

Last edited:

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Get the big one! It comes with two shots and a shot on top. Don’t judge but I always get two. 😳😂 With the Luigi’s,to me, it is a bit too orange so I add the vanilla.
View attachment 452909
Now, I need one. 😩 Or two...
edit to add, Gigi does not share!!
View attachment 452913

B gets a Moosehead or two
I do love the Moosehead. I may have some in my fridge right now. And my pregame tonight was
B39FA2AF-BA73-4AE9-9CB8-E3AB098B4A43.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom