The Old Disney Channel

Bamboo7ster

What I'd suggest is ripping your DVDs to your computer (DO NOT STEAL, only rip what you own, fair use copyright laws apply to making a backup copy of what you own), then use a home network to create your own on-demand Disney Classics channel. It'll do until the real thing comes along.

That doesn't make any sense. If we all had dvds of all of these classic shows and movies we wouldn't be clammering for a DTV Classic channel. It's not the actual channel we're on about, it's the content.

Animaniac93-98

The reason Disney ended Vault Disney was they wanted to make money off that kind of stuff by releasing them to DVD (remember the short lived "Vault Dinsey" DVD line?). It's a shame that they ended up only releasing mostly extremely sub-par DVDs of older content and are still missing alot of older WWoC specials (Guy Williams in the Prince and the Pauper, Mr. Boogedy etc.) and only recently did we see stuff like the colourized complete first season of Zorro on DVD get released in Region 1 as a Disney movie Club exclusive (and many other titles too, which Disney doesn't want to bother putting out in stores).

I miss older Disney channel stuff too like Adventures in Wonderland (I swear the entire series is on youtube and it's still good!) and I wish they would bring back Vault Disney because, well telling from threads like this it would definitely be popular and probably increase early morning ratings on the channel.

If anyone cares the Treasure of Matecumbe (1976) will be released to stores on August 26th (as a fullscreeen no bonus features DVD, but the picture quality is probably decent).

PaisleyMF

A Vault Disney Channel, in my opinion would be a great asset for Disney Enterprises. Do you know how much material Disney owns and can use.

Just Imagine shows like Disneyland, The Wonderful World of Color, MMC, Inside Out, and So on.

We are a big global community, why not place a petition to either create the new channel or bring Vault Disney back.

Now this petition must be more amazing than usual. it must have feeling and make them get the picture. It should include a programming package that should be included, Maybe make it Seasonal (as Summer, Winter... not TV seasons) give something to everybody in the family.

But then thats my opinion and I could be wrong.

Senderella

The ONLY thing I bother with on the Disney Channel now is House of Mouse. They'll occasionally have old cartoons mixed in. I do remember growing up on all the old Disney Channel shows. I've been wishing they'd do a classic Disney channel where they went back to the old classic cartoons and full length movies (all..animated/live action) for a LONG time now. I'd give anything to be able to leave my tv on a classic Disney channel for background noise rather than Investigative Discovery LOL (my new fave channel). I miss DTV also... oooh and the old park commercials (were they commercials?). I remember one of HM. I still think Disney needs to worry about appealing to the adults because... regardless if the young kids they're catering too right now are the future paying guests... we're the ones paying for it right now. Cart before the horse maybe? :rolleyes:

Spyne

I would love to see the old Disney Channel return. It was definitely the best, and how it is now is just boring, with all these "tween" shows.

KCMouse

I used to be able to watch The Disney Channel 24/7 when I was a kid. It is where I fell in love with The Sword in the Stone. Back when they used to mail the monthly program guide, I would circle all the times it was playing and try to watch every showing. It would drive my parents nuts.

Old Yeller, Apple Dumpling Gang, Donald Duck Presents, Pete's Dragon, and countless other shows seem lost to a new generation. When I grew up these shows were from a previous generations and I didn't care. It just doesn't make sense that the current generation can't love classics as well.

Of course when I grew up, cable was about 30 or 40 stations with just Nick and Disney focusing on kids. Now we have 200 or 300 stations with a ton of programming for kids. Disney has to compete. It still seems like that with all the stations available, Disney can make a new station that focuses on anything made before 1996 and draw just as many viewers as the American Life channel or the Fox Reality Channel!

daliseurat

I loved the old Disney Channel. Especially VAULT DISNEY. When they originally switched over I was OUTRAGED. I wrote numerous letters of protest. I did actually get a couple calls from Disney about it.

And as you can imagine the switch had everything to do with MONEY. The current programming at that time was not getting the ratings and subscriber base they wanted. The only programming that was generating the desired revenue was the PLAYHOUSE DISNEY stuff and the TWEEN stuff.

They were also in the process of putting together various DVD's that would contain much of the VAULT DISNEY material. That material was being restored. Now, they figured no one would buy this material if they were showing it, so off it went.

Also, the material that WE all love so much was the lowest revenue generator. And I can understand why. I taped a lot of that material, so I didn't have to watch it when it came on. So, I was guilty of not watching the material I loved as much as it needed to be watched.

When the NEW Disney channel premiered I was not happy. Nothing for me to watch. But, we just had a child. Guess what? SHE loved PLAYHOUSE DISNEY. Now she loves all the TWEEN stuff. So Disney has created a whole new generations of Disney fans who like the NEW stuff.

Now when you go to the parks you find PLAYHOUSE DISNEY LIVE, HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL and so on. As much as I want all the CLASSIC stuff, I have to admit, from a BUSINESS point of view Disney made the right choice. And, I now have a GREAT collection of restored VAULT DISNEY material in my TREASURES collections. I'd still prefer the old Disney Channel, but I might not watch as often as my DD does now.

What would be TERRIFIC is if they just decided to create a whole VAULT DISNEY section on ITUNES so we could download what we want. But again, I don't know how many of us would actually but the stuff. I know i wouldn't buy all of the ZORRO episodes. But might for Mickey Mouse Club!

disneyWX

There is no Disney Channel anymore.

My sentiments exactly :mad:

In my opinion Disney sold out long ago. It's as though its original vision of pioneering a welcoming and magical family environment has taken on a more sassy, self-assertive tone which caters to the youth of our time. I personally would love to see kids enjoy the wholesome classics that I did (I'm 25) like Silly Symphonies, DTV, and True Life Adventures (remember the nature series??) as opposed to the adult-like antics of tweens--which have sadly taken over. Kids would probably be better off, not to mention more child-like, if they did!

Having said that...I was shocked beyond words to find ABC showing peter pan last night. Surely they must have scheduled it into programming as an overisght.

EpcotServo

I hate how all TV channels are trying to "Be Different".

TV Land-Reality Shows? Really?

Sci-Fi Channel-No real Sci-fi. The only good show on it is Ghost Hunters, and that isn't even Sci-Fi! And WRESTLING? What the? Not even trying.

AMC-Orginal Series? what the HECK. Don't even get me started!
:mad:

The only channel you can trust is Turner Classic Movies. Never edited, never bleeped, and always commerical-free.
:D

CThaddeus

Having said that...I was shocked beyond words to find ABC showing peter pan last night. Surely they must have scheduled it into programming as an overisght.

That was all about cross-promotion, and probably not about showing a Disney classic. Right before each commerical they had two-minute blurbs featuring the incredibly obnoxious Raven blathering on about the "Tinker Bell" movie "coming soon to Disney DVD and Blu-Ray!" Just knowing she's also in that movie has killed any interest I might have had in it...which wasn't much to start with. I'm only glad John Lasseter has killed the direct-to-video junk movies...though we still have to put up with "Tinker Bell" and "The Little Mermaid III" before it goes away for (hopefully) good.

Animaniac93-98

The only channel you can trust is Turner Classic Movies. Never edited, never bleeped, and always commercial-free.

I hear you Servo, TCM is the best! Everything from The Adventures of Robin Hood to The Killer Shews, ya got to love it!

Also if the DC were to ever start showing older Disney films I would like them to be in their OAR (Original Aspect Ratio). Especially for the Panavison/CinemaScope films like 20,000 Leagues, Great Locomotive Chase, Westward Ho! the Wagons, Swiss Family Robinson, The Black hole, and yes, even Condorman. The only thing worse than not showing kids today these older films is showing them pan and scanned (well maybe showing them HM instead is worse)!

Fun2BFree

this is probably a really stupid question but is usa disney channel the same as the uk disney channel??

Yes, but the US have Playhouse Disney as a morning programming block (UK has its own channel) and the US have Toon Disney as a seperate channel while we have Disney CineMagic. Disney Channel's feature programming remains practically the same in both nations, however.

dandaman

If the DC were to ever start showing older Disney films I would like them to be in their OAR (Original Aspect Ratio). Especially for the Panavison/CinemaScope films like 20,000 Leagues, Great Locomotive Chase...

Glad someone on here besides me remembers the Great Locomotive Chase. I first watched it when I was 9 (17 now) and it's still a great movie. Of course, I had no idea that ol' Fess "Davy" Parker played Andrews 'till a few years later. :D

BrennaRN

Original Poster
:brick:If there is such an outcry and nostalgia for this why in the world are they ignoring it??? I know the whole money thing, but it's ridiculous to ignore what started it all. I keep watching the old promos on youtube and they make me feel safe and welcomed. I just play them over and over and remember how much fun it was to sit down and look forward to watching the programming. I love the bumpers too! Why won't they do anything????:brick:

unclemike

I hate how all TV channels are trying to "Be Different".

TV Land-Reality Shows? Really?

Sci-Fi Channel-No real Sci-fi. The only good show on it is Ghost Hunters, and that isn't even Sci-Fi! And WRESTLING? What the? Not even trying.

AMC-Orginal Series? what the HECK. Don't even get me started!
:mad:

The only channel you can trust is Turner Classic Movies. Never edited, never bleeped, and always commerical-free.

I think you have said it all!! I agree although ON Sci Fi Channel I like Stargate

PaisleyMF

I hear you Servo, TCM is the best! Everything from The Adventures of Robin Hood to The Killer Shews, ya got to love it!

Also if the DC were to ever start showing older Disney films I would like them to be in their OAR (Original Aspect Ratio). Especially for the Panavison/CinemaScope films like 20,000 Leagues, Great Locomotive Chase, Westward Ho! the Wagons, Swiss Family Robinson, The Black hole, and yes, even Condorman. The only thing worse than not showing kids today these older films is showing them pan and scanned (well maybe showing them HM instead is worse)!

Hey not even the HD version does Original Aspect Ratio, the only shows in HD is some of the new animated series (love Phineas and Ferb) and that is it. Not even Pocahontas was on 16:9...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom