The Official "Explore Southern California!" Thread

Californian Elitist

Time for more food options.

What?: Pink's Hot Dogs

Where?: 709 N. La Brea Ave

How Far From Disneyland?: About 34 miles away, and at least a forty minute drive.

How Much?: Depends. It's not to expensive, though.

Pink's Hot Dogs, or simply Pink's, is a legendary hot dog joint in Los Angeles. A couple named Paul and Betty Pink opened the little pushcart in 1939. Betty's own chili was used for the hot dogs, specifically Hoffy hot dogs, and they became an instant hit. Pink's is not only insanely popular amongst the general public, but also with celebrities as well. There are all kinds of hot dog combinations one can order from Pink's. The line tends to get seriously long throughout the day.

Pinks_Hot_Dogs.jpg

Examples of the various kinds of hot dogs:

pinks_hot_dogs.jpg

pinks-dogs.jpg

4217593837_ed82423291.jpg

Examples of the long lines:

Pinks_1.jpg

Pinks-Hotdog-Line.jpg

(look at those gas prices)

Pink's hangs face shots of the celeb fans:

4227435154_08c470bf31.jpg

Pinks-Hotdogs-Inside-Wall-of-Fame.jpg

What?: Original Tommy's

Where?: 2575 Beverly Blvd

How Far From Disneyland?: Roughly 30 miles away, with at least a thirty minute drive

How Much?: Depends.

Original Tommy's is a legendary food joint in Los Angeles as well, specifically a hamburger spot. Tom Koulax opened the original spot on Beverly in 1946. Tommy's is most famous for their absolutely delicious chili. They sell chili cheese dogs as well, and those things are massive. The original location is by far the best, and it is great because it still looks as it looked back in the forties. Back in the sixties, a second order location was added to the space. Tommy's has become so popular, an extra space was bought for parking. The original spot is open 24 hours, and lines get nuts after a Dodger game.

Tom Koulax:

40879ed4-cb47-4eb9-9102-c2b19ee3fd8b.jpg

The second order location sits right across from the shack:

Tommys_Beverly_7.jpg

No one ever goes to the Taco Bell across the street:

tommys.jpg

444990976_5de21d113d.jpg

tommy2-380x418.jpg

original-tommys-hot-dog-original-tommys.jpg

gboiler1

Keep it going...I've been to some of the places mentioned in the past but love the local perspective!
in 2008 did Disney, Universal, Farmer's Market & The Grove. Hollywood Kodak Tour, Chinese Theater, LA Ink, saw a movie at El Cap.

This time my daughter will be 15. Any of the local Hollywood Tours anyone would suggest. We are thinking about the major studios.
Also I'm guessing most tv filming will be on hiatus at that time, suggestions?

Californian Elitist

Keep it going...I've been to some of the places mentioned in the past but love the local perspective!
in 2008 did Disney, Universal, Farmer's Market & The Grove. Hollywood Kodak Tour, Chinese Theater, LA Ink, saw a movie at El Cap.

This time my daughter will be 15. Any of the local Hollywood Tours anyone would suggest. We are thinking about the major studios.
Also I'm guessing most tv filming will be on hiatus at that time, suggestions?

Starline Tours apparently does really good tours. I've yet to hear anything negative for them.

http://www.starlinetours.com/

In regards to tapings, I'd check the site of the studio you're planning to visit. Hope that helps.

GiveMeTheMusic

I don't know if it offers a full menu, but there is a standalone Pink's location outside the gates of Knott's Berry Farm in Buena Park. Free parking is available for 3 hours, a la Downtown Disney.

GiveMeTheMusic

What is it?: Knott's Berry Farm

Where is it?: Buena Park, CA

How far from Disneyland?: 10-15 minutes

Billed as America's First Theme Park and run by a parent company headed by Disneyland's beloved former president, Matt Ouimet, Knott's has turned a corner in recent years in an attempt to regain relevance. Chock full of bizarre history, Knott's is completely unique and is a great (and inexpensive) addition to any SoCal trip, especially if you're a coaster fan.

Knott's Berry Farm started life during the Great Depression, when Mrs. Cordelia Knott began serving fried chicken dinners in her parlor for $0.38 a pop. Soon, lines for Mrs. Knott's dinners would stretch down the street, and a restaurant was built to satisfy demand. Her husband Walt eventually added the beginnings of Ghost Town to entertain guests waiting for dinner, and soon Ghost Town grew to be a full-on replica of a western town. Over the years, attractions were added and eventually a gate. The park grew in a helter-skelter fashion (which is why it has no discernible layout) into what it is today, and Mrs. Knott's Chicken Dinner restaurant is still just outside the gates, serving hordes of hungry folks every day.

Knott's Berry Farm is just now starting to actually grow berries again in patches here and there, and is famous for the development of the boysenberry, which is heavily featured in the food offerings (churros filled with boysenberry jam, boysenberry pie, boysenberry punch). Other than that, you'd never know this was once farmland.

Headliner attractions include Ghost Town itself, the Silver Bullet (a fabulous inverted roller coaster), the Pony Express (want a preview of the new Endor speeder coaster? Give this one a try), the Charles M. Schultz Theater (home to spectacular Snoopy On Ice shows during the summer and Christmastime), Camp Snoopy (kiddie rides), and a brand new Boardwalk section with three flat rides.

Knott's is also world-famous for pioneering the Halloween Haunt theme park event, the first and largest of its kind anywhere, celebrating its 42nd year in 2014. Over a dozen elaborate mazes, big shows (in 2013 Elvira performed live nightly), huge scarezones and big crowds make this a must-do event for any Halloween nut. Knott's Scary Farm Halloween Haunt is a hard ticket event that runs Thurs-Sun for most of the Halloween season (try to hit a Thursday night, they're the least crowded - and this thing can get ridiculously crowded).

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

What?: Various activities on Hollywood and Highland

Where?: Hollywood Boulevard and Highland Street

How Far From Disneyland?: At least 35 miles away, with an average 35-60 minute drive

How Much?: Depends.

Hollywood and Highland is famous for the locations of shops, eateries, attractions and the tons of weird and dirty people you'll find there. Located on Hollywood and Highland is the seriously famous Chinese Theatre, the El Capitan Theatre, the Hollywood and Highland Center, the Dolby Theatre (formerly known as the Kodak Theater), the Hollywood Walk of Fame and more. Hollywood and Highland is very much a tourist destination and is always packed with people. The Chinese Theatre is always hosting movie premieres, so there are times where certain parts of the streets are completely blocked off, even more when the Oscars are being held (held in the Dolby Theatre). Although there are plenty of creepy and just downright weird people on Hollywood and Highland (have you seen those awful costumes?!), it's still considered a nice hang out spot for Angelenos.

The El Capitan, which exclusively plays Disney films:

ElCapitanTheatreHollywood.JPG

el-capitan.jpg

Chinese Theatre (no, not the faux one in DHS):

graumanschinese.jpg

Movie premiere, specifically Ocean's Thirteen:

1137688037_a993d632a0_z.jpg

Classic moment at the Chinese Theatre:

Chinese_Theatre_courtyard_Lemmon_MacLaine.jpg

Dolby Theatre:

Dolby-Theatre-Wide-Shot_lg.jpg

Oscars:

18oscar-at-kodak-theatre5.jpg

movies-oscars-2013-atmosphere-4.jpg

Hollywood and Highland Center (outdoor shopping mall):

Hollywood&HighlandQuad.jpg

hollywood_highland_center(1)_large.jpg

Walk of Fame:

;)

Walt_Disney's_star_on_the_Hollywood_Walk_of_Fame.jpg

060309-015..jpg

hollywood-disneyland-star.jpg

143236458_AE_1249_4F72402BBBB77A79DC7A6722F960118B.jpg

Can't forget the ridiculous characters...:

The-Hollywood-Highland-Character-Count-December-6-1.jpg

The-Hollywood-Highland-Character-Count-September-7-1.jpg

...and the tourists:

Miss_Teen_USA_2007_delegates_Hollywood_and_Highland_March_2007_3.png

The-Hollywood-Highland-Character-Count-August-10-1.jpg

:joyfull:

fbp

Thank you so much for this thread. Keep them coming! We're headed to Southern California in May and all of this is getting me even more excited.

Hollywood looks fun. Would it be a decent neighborhood to call home base whilst experiencing L.A?

Californian Elitist

Thank you so much for this thread. Keep them coming! We're headed to Southern California in May and all of this is getting me even more excited.

Hollywood looks fun. Would it be a decent neighborhood to call home base whilst experiencing L.A?

Specifically the Hollywood and Highland area I mentioned?

Californian Elitist

I personally like that area. I don't have recommendations for for places right on Hollywood or Highland, but I have stayed at the Renaissance Hotel (right by the Hollywood and Highland Center), now called the Loews Hollywood Hotel, and I loved it. What's your price range?

Cosmic Commando

Original Poster
You would want a place much, much closer to Disneyland for your DLR days. That much I know. Raven will know much better for the rest of LA.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom