The Official "Explore Southern California!" Thread

Figments Friend

Wow TP...breathtaking. Many thanks for covering the Observatory in such nice detail, and with photos!

Reading your post makes me want to visit now...the place looks fantastic and interesting.
Have yet to have made a stop over there in my past visits to SoCa....i need to remedy this soon !

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
You shouldn't leave out a drive up Highway 1 to go see sights and end up in San Fran (passing through Monterey)

I've recommended this to plenty of people...but, no one seems to listen. One day I'll take that trip with the kiddo I think!

You didn't tell me but in a few weeks ill leave DL and do just that. May even have time for another visit here.

Laura

Premium Member
Where? The Getty Villa in Malibu
I found the Getty Villa a little boring. I don't think I'm cultural or artistic enough to appreciate it.

You shouldn't leave out a drive up Highway 1 to go see sights and end up in San Fran (passing through Monterey)
Agreed. Out of everything I've done in CA, the drive from Monterey to San Simeon has been the best.

What is it? Joshua Tree National Park
I've driven through there before, but can't imagine taking a day out of a Disney vacation to drive down and see it. It's basically just a bunch of weird trees. Seen one, seen them all! And there's plenty of the same trees on the drive to Las Vegas too.

San Diego
San Diego Zoo
San Diego Safari Park
Sea World
Legoland
Aquatica
San Diego County Fair
OId Town State Historical Park
Cabrillo National Monument

Have been to all of the above, except Aquatica which just opened and apparently has bad reviews). It is important to note (if this thread is for visitors who don't know better) that many of those attractions are quite a haul from San Diego. Safari Park is in Escondido, Legoland is in Carlsbad...both places can be nearly an hour's drive from San Diego if you hit traffic. Without traffic, still a good 30 minutes.

What is it? In-N-Out Burger

I have never understood the draw of In-N-Out. To me, their burgers are good, but not particularly better than anyone else's burgers. And their fries are horrible. Yet the place seems to be a huge attraction for people. I must have a strange sense of taste.

Palm Springs Aerial Tramway

I have to agree that this is cool. We went up last year, once in a blizzard, and once when there was just a light dusting of snow. Definitely unique and memorable. Prepare for a long wait, though! Especially around Christmas.

Griffith Observatory.
We drove up there Sunday to catch the sunset. Unfortunately the rest of the city had the same idea (because it was an especially gorgeous sunset) so James did laps around the parking lot while the kids and I ran out to check out the view really quick.

You didn't tell me but in a few weeks ill leave DL and do just that. May even have time for another visit here.

Hearst Castle - also a place I'd highly recommend. That was a cool experience. Pretty far drive from Disneyland, unfortunately, but a worthwhile stop if you're driving to SF.

Laura

Premium Member
These are the "things to do" I recommend to visitors who are going to be somewhere between LA and San Diego.
(These are all pictures I took back when I was all super motivated about California and brought my camera with me everywhere. Now the thing is collecting dust.)

Oceanside pier. Super duper long pier with a Ruby's at the end of it. Fun place to watch surfers and look for dolphins. Nearly halfway between Disneyland and San Diego.
IMG_6656-L.jpg

The seals in La Jolla (just north of San Diego)
_MG_5457-L.jpg

Whale watching - anywhere along the coast. INCREDIBLE. Tons of whales and dolphins.
IMG_4170-L.jpg

Swamis Beach in Encinitas (20 mins north of San Diego). Fun place to explore when the tide is low. Lots of little critters scurrying around the rocks. Great for kids.
_MG_3776-L.jpg

Heisler Park in Laguna Beach. Pretty close to Disney. Lots of beautiful flowers, landscaping, trails, benches, etc. The view is outstanding.
IMG_8272-L.jpg

Carlsbad Flower Fields. Worth a stop if you're heading to Legoland or driving to San Diego (right on the way), but only stop if it's right around the first day of spring when the flowers are in full bloom. There's a lot of free parking with great views on the east side of the field (where I took this picture from). No need to pay admission to go inside.
IMG_7820-L.jpg

Other places already mentioned, but I will throw in another vote...

Cabrillo National Monument in San Diego. You can see for miles. I've never been able to get a picture that does it justice.
IMG_7499-L.jpg

Safari Park in Escondido. SOOO much better than San Diego Zoo. A little out of the way (30 mins from the coast), but well worth it. Animals roam free in the hills, rather than being caged up in concrete. And there's a fantastic tram tour.
_MG_3710-L.jpg

Universal Studios Hollywood. The spectacular views and the 45 minute backlot tram tour are worth the price of admission alone.
IMG_7083-L.jpg

And here's a lesser-known place we've visited a few times while in the Los Angeles area. Though I may get some flack for this!
IMG_0470-L.jpg

Cosmic Commando

Original Poster
I found the Getty Villa a little boring. I don't think I'm cultural or artistic enough to appreciate it.
I should confess that I am a diploma-carrying Anthropology major.

I've driven through there before, but can't imagine taking a day out of a Disney vacation to drive down and see it. It's basically just a bunch of weird trees. Seen one, seen them all! And there's plenty of the same trees on the drive to Las Vegas too.
I had never been to a desert before, so it was good for that. It's not just the trees (although they are cool and the only place in the world that you can see them is in that little corner of the American Southwest!); there is a lot of great desert scenery, the nighttime sky, camping, climbing, hiking, horseback riding, etc. I wish we had more time for our desert excursion, but some of us were sick, so we convalesced at home for as long as we could and ended up cutting some other Palm Springs stuff.

I have never understood the draw of In-N-Out. To me, their burgers are good, but not particularly better than anyone else's burgers. And their fries are horrible. Yet the place seems to be a huge attraction for people. I must have a strange sense of taste.
I wouldn't call it a "destination" per se, but it is a nice place. They seem fairly common in the LA area, so it's not like a great time commitment to visit one. To me, it's a place that offers simple, quality food at a reasonable price. To make their french fries, they take potatoes... and cut them and fry them. They're not shipped to the restaurant frozen in bags and treated with beef tallow or blah blah blah. I like that. Edit: I thought of a better way to say this: if you're going to have fast food in Southern California, In-N-Out should be at or near the top of your list. If you make it through your trip without stopping, you don't have to feel like you missed out on too much.

Last edited:

teacherlady19

The Wild Animal Park (now known as the Safari Park) is actually between Escondido and Ramona on CA-78. It's a good location for what they offer there. If you come from DL, you take the 91 over to I-15, then follow CA-78 east. You won't even touch San Diego -- it's actually closer to go to the Safari Park than it is to the Zoo, from DL (and from my house).

I won't crucify anyone for visiting the gravesite for Walt and his family. I've visited a number of celebrity gravesites in LA. My husband thinks I'm weird, but to me, it's a nice way to pay my respects to someone that's given me a lot of great entertainment!

Donna

TP2000

I have to agree that this is cool. We went up last year, once in a blizzard, and once when there was just a light dusting of snow. Definitely unique and memorable. Prepare for a long wait, though! Especially around Christmas.

My God. I can't even imagine the wait for the Tramway at Christmastime. I don't do anything major in public at Christmas, from about December 18th thru January 3rd. I hunker down and wait it out, and let family come to me in small, measured doses. Skype is a blessing.

But go out in public to famous tourist destinations the last two weeks in December?!? Never. :cool:

The last time I did the Tramway on a late Spring weekday the wait was about 10 minutes, basically just waiting for the next tram car to arrive at the Valley Station while we browsed the gift shop.

Laura

Premium Member
My God. I can't even imagine the wait for the Tramway at Christmastime. I don't do anything major in public at Christmas, from about December 18th thru January 3rd. I hunker down and wait it out, and let family come to me in small, measured doses. Skype is a blessing.

But go out in public to famous tourist destinations the last two weeks in December?!? Never. :cool:

The last time I did the Tramway on a late Spring weekday the wait was about 10 minutes, basically just waiting for the next tram car to arrive at the Valley Station while we browsed the gift shop.

We waited about 3 hours the week after Christmas. When we went again in the spring it was more like 15 minutes.

The bummer at Christmas was it was blizzarding so hard, we didn't have any view whatsoever. It was a complete white-out and freezing cold. My kids loved it though. Though I grew up in one of the snowiest places in the country, they've always lived in snow-free placess. It was really neat leaving a warm climate and within 30 minutes being in a completely different climate.

IMG_2540-L.jpg

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
The Wild Animal Park (now known as the Safari Park) is actually between Escondido and Ramona on CA-78. It's a good location for what they offer there. If you come from DL, you take the 91 over to I-15, then follow CA-78 east. You won't even touch San Diego -- it's actually closer to go to the Safari Park than it is to the Zoo, from DL (and from my house).

I won't crucify anyone for visiting the gravesite for Walt and his family. I've visited a number of celebrity gravesites in LA. My husband thinks I'm weird, but to me, it's a nice way to pay my respects to someone that's given me a lot of great entertainment!

Donna

Was "wild animal park" once called Lion Country Safari? My parents talk about this all the time from when they went to CA back in the 70s

Where IS Walt buried? That is something I would like to visit next time I'm in CA

Travel Junkie

Was "wild animal park" once called Lion Country Safari? My parents talk about this all the time from when they went to CA back in the 70s

Where IS Walt buried? That is something I would like to visit next time I'm in CA

Walt is buried (cremated ashes) at Forrest Lawn in Glendale, CA near the Disney Studios. It is a cemetery/art museum and is a popular tourist attraction. A ton of famous people are buried there. A lot of old Hollywood (Bogart, Jimmy Stewart) is there and one of the most recent big celebs is Michael Jackson.

tare

Donna

Are the seals right around children's beach. We are planning on going there this month.

Rufus T Firefly

Lion Country Safari is long gone. Used to be in Irvine about a half hour from DL.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom