The "NEW" Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin

WDWScottieBoy

Original Poster
too many candles. I have bad allergies, I fear candles.
Have to give those heavenly beds a test sometime - request me a candle free room ;)

They aren't real candles. They are made of wax, but there is no wick or flame involved. They are electric inserts that sit on a base all day and are put into the "candle" at night. It has a glowing effect so that it appears to be a flame. (They're quite fun to take out as guest's start freaking out thinking we're just reaching into an open flame.) :lol:

TTATraveler

Awesome photos, thanks for the photolog:sohappy:I think the rennovations make the Swan and Dolphin look more refined, professional, and contemporary. The old style looked very whimsical and carefree.

For what you get with the S/D: deluxe room accomodations (look better then WDW deluxe rooms in terms of luxury), great location, amount of restaurants, and dicounted room prices, I am surprised people still complain about the S/D. Some of the discount prices actually make the room a better bargain then a moderate at a WDW hotel and far better in price then a Deluxe.

cloudboy

The original designs for these hotels didn't have the figures on top. The Dolphin was supposed to represent a mountain, the Swan an arch. Eisner encouraged Graves to lighten up, and so fish figures were added to the pyramid structure, and swan figures to the arched one. They eventually became known as the Swan and the Dolphin.

Personally I don't like the changes - they don't fit. They don't match the structure or the rest of the decor, they look like they were ordered rom a catalog of standard furniture (which I guess they really were), and they do nothing to relate to the building. I agree the Swan was a bit dark and certianly not in popular taste, but this just doesn't work.

WDWScottieBoy

Original Poster
The Dolphin is supposed to represent a mountain, and the designs around the bottom are the coral. The dolphins are to be swimming around in the water, and then the water goes off the clam shells and is to be bouncing towards the Swan with the waves represented on that hotel. The swans are on top riding on the waves. So with the story, they are to be there.

WDWScottieBoy

Original Poster
The "nurse" rate is a Nurse/Government and a couple other things rate. I'm guessing we have around 300 different rates, if not more. I'm sure you can get quite a deal with something if they don't give you the Nurse rate!

duck_daddy

Your wisdom is welcome!

Thanks so much for the help! As a family of five if I could get a good rate through the Swan or Dolphin that might be the breaking point on to go or not to go!:brick:

WDWScottieBoy

Original Poster
I know if you're a member of AAA it can sometimes be cheaper with that rate (just need your AAA card) or even by using the WDWMagic code.

Austin1

Here's my take:
Michael Graves is an excelent designer.
I've always liked the look of the Swan and Dolphin even if they did look kinda "maratime whimsy" as Disney called it. I feel that the new renovation is very moden and "posh". With that said, I think it's much more bland than before(especally the Dolphin). It just doesn't have the abstract, "other worldly spark it had before. All and all, I think the trade from dated whimsy to modern posh is probably and good trade, for the most part. imho:animwink:

Shaman

The original designs for these hotels didn't have the figures on top. The Dolphin was supposed to represent a mountain, the Swan an arch. Eisner encouraged Graves to lighten up, and so fish figures were added to the pyramid structure, and swan figures to the arched one. They eventually became known as the Swan and the Dolphin.

Personally I don't like the changes - they don't fit. They don't match the structure or the rest of the decor, they look like they were ordered rom a catalog of standard furniture (which I guess they really were), and they do nothing to relate to the building. I agree the Swan was a bit dark and certianly not in popular taste, but this just doesn't work.

I was thinking the same...perhaps they should consider changing the exterior colors in the future.

I stayed here about a year ago and they had an excellent discount for teachers/nurses.

my wife is a teacher and we paid $99.00 a night!!!

Anyone know if this is still around.

We had a GREAT time here and now the hotel looks 10 times better!

kal1484

How does the Cresent Terrace look? It used to be beautiful, but after the storms it looked like a desert. Might be getting hitched there.

WDWScottieBoy

Original Poster
Crescent Terrace is still beautiful with the trees and the surrounding with the views, I haven't noticed anything from previous storms.

As far as the Teacher/Nurse/Gov't rate, it's currently at $155/night.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom