The Muppets Present… Great Moments in American History'

hopemax

While @wdwmagic says there's something to this, I believe there's one thing that will keep it from coming to frutition: Newton's First Law of motion. Objects at Rest tend to stay at rest.

As we all know, TPTB at P&R are loathe to actually do anything or spend money on CapEx (ask @ParentsOf4, he has charts) so Management's natural state is at rest. They're dropping a... well a now unknown amount of money into DHS on SWL & TSL.... and the natural inclination of any sound, career-minded, budget-conscious, mid-level, Disney middle manager is to make their numbers and in this case it would be to clip expenditures. Past history has told us thru so many blue sky proposals, 5th gates, night kingdoms, (and god knows what else over the past 10-15 years) that actually held validity yet only to be sent to sleep with the fishes at the end of the day.

What does this mean here? That the inherent laziness of Disney Management practically ensures that this bad-but-not-the-worst-idea-i've-heard-this-week never comes to fruition.

Now I love the Muppets but the Muppets belong at the Studios. They have their own courtyard. Take idea and cram it in over there. They don't belong any closer to Liberty Square then that.

Here's the reason, why I might disagree with you...Disney is willing to copy successful things. And that annoying boy wizard has an envy-producing money factory in those wands that trigger little scenes throughout Diagon Alley and Hogsmeade.

It's hard to imagine what could possibly go above HoP, certainly not a full-blown attraction. But something of a smaller scale, triggered by a merchandise item that can be yours for only $49.99? The Haunted Mansion Ghost Post app items, that will do stuff at Disneyland cost $199, so maybe $49.99 is too low.

PhotoDave219

Here's the reason, why I might disagree with you...Disney is willing to copy successful things. And that annoying boy wizard has an envy-producing money factory in those wands that trigger little scenes throughout Diagon Alley and Hogsmeade.

It's hard to imagine what could possibly go above HoP, certainly not a full-blown attraction. But something of a smaller scale, triggered by a merchandise item that can be yours for only $49.99? The Haunted Mansion Ghost Post app items, that will do stuff at Disneyland cost $199, so maybe $49.99 is too low.

I think we're talking apples and oranges.

Or at least Wizards and Muppets.

The Muppets will always be cooler than Wizards. Always.

lilclerk

I have no doubt this could be a really fun show and work in the location, the Muppets could certainly be patriotic. But we don't need cartoon(ish) characters everywhere to be entertained, do we? I love that Liberty Square, tiny as it is, doesn't scream THIS IS DISNEY in your face (except the parades, of course.)

That said, I'm intrigued by what kind of show this could be, I love when the Muppets are used in WDW. Just wish it could be somewhere else.

Phroobar

Because people would rather have a land that has remained virtually unchanged in 40ish years to remain virtually unchanged.

I know, crazy...
I wonder if there is any chance of the Hall of Presidents getting a different show revolving around only the founding fathers so I don't have to watch a AA version of Hilary or Trump?

Magenta Panther

Disney's patriotic salute to America being used to vend some acquired ip.

Such a class act nowadays, WDW.

I think you nailed it. That's what's so appalling about all this. There seems to be a new, craven desire within the Disney company to cram IPs anywhere and everywhere in the parks, whether the location is appropriate or not. The ignorance and greed behind this attitude is staggering. Good god, whoever's behind these terrible ideas could at least leave the Magic Kingdom alone! What if Universal caught this malaise? Imagine Harry Potter in Seuss Landing or the Spiderman doing meet-and-greets at Mythos Restaurant. That wouldn't be any more crass than what's (hopefully only MAYBE) happening now. You have to wonder how long Main Street will be safe...

Magenta Panther

Frozen doesn't belong in EPCOT but look how that turned out.

Yeah, still an idiotic idea!

Bottom line, it's like Disney has forgotten that the way to improve the parks isn't to destroy good stuff. The right way is to keep the good stuff, then build MORE good stuff. Duh! But that seems to elude whoever's in charge of park attractions these days. Is that Chappie guy behind this?

Phicinfan

I think you nailed it. That's what's so appalling about all this. There seems to be a new, craven desire within the Disney company to cram IPs anywhere and everywhere in the parks, whether the location is appropriate or not. The ignorance and greed behind this attitude is staggering. Good god, whoever's behind these terrible ideas could at least leave the Magic Kingdom alone! What if Universal caught this malaise? Imagine Harry Potter in Seuss Landing or the Spiderman doing meet-and-greets at Mythos Restaurant. That wouldn't be any more crass than what's (hopefully only MAYBE) happening now. You have to wonder how long Main Street will be safe...
Not saying I disagree with you here, as they are cramming IP down our throats...

But isn't this a way to make HoP more family friendly? I love HoP, but it took almost an act of God to get my kids to go in and participate, to add some outside enhancement to get the kids excited to see some history isn't all a bad thing is it?

rioriz

What RSox means is simple. The Muppets have a land solely based on them at another park and instead of expanding that land, they are putting them elsewhere.

Since you brought it up... Yes, I do believe there's too much of Toy Story, Little Mermaid, Nemo and Beauty and the Beast scattered around WDW. It's just something I don't understand especially since Disney has a huge library filled with great characters to work with and four parks to fill the void. Instead, they stick with the most popular brands and milk em' everywhere.... How generous!

I get that but I guess the Muppets didn't really have a land per se until recently

One reason I think it is good to spread the characters around (if it works i.e. not Frostrom) is that not everyone will park hop and if you only go to AK at least your kids will get to see Simba, Nemo, and Flik in one place. Much of Walts original idea was a piece meal of scattered rides, such is the template of MK. I know we may not get it, but why would they not stick with what is most popular. May not be what us Disney Dorks want but trust me it is what the general public wants!

wdwgreek

Original Poster
Not saying I disagree with you here, as they are cramming IP down our throats...

But isn't this a way to make HoP more family friendly? I love HoP, but it took almost an act of God to get my kids to go in and participate, to add some outside enhancement to get the kids excited to see some history isn't all a bad thing is it?
Just to reemphasis the rumor is that this is either going on top of HoP or next door in the Heritage house, not replacing HoP. I don't know things don't have to be IP's to be fun and exciting as a kid I watched History channel all the time.

wdwgreek

Original Poster
I get that but I guess the Muppets didn't really have a land per se until recently

One reason I think it is good to spread the characters around (if it works i.e. not Frostrom) is that not everyone will park hop and if you only go to AK at least your kids will get to see Simba, Nemo, and Flik in one place. Much of Walts original idea was a piece meal of scattered rides, such is the template of MK. I know we may not get it, but why would they not stick with what is most popular. May not be what us Disney Dorks want but trust me it is what the general public wants!
I mean they had an attraction in the park and a Muppets store since 1991 so its been around for a bit, just because the name wasn't Muppets courtyard didn't mean they had there own space. I'd argue they always have had there own courtyard since that area opened.

No Name

I never even bothered to check back at this thread because the rumor was so absurd that I assumed it had to be made up. But now I see quite a few people are saying this is indeed being considered. And I realize it makes an ounce of sense.

While there is a new area in Hollywood Studios called Muppet's Courtyard that's begging for more Muppets stuff, I can see why they would try to make the Hall of Presidents area more appealing to young children. The HoP was a punishment for me as a child. My parents would threaten to make me sit through it if I had bad behavior. Whenever we got near it, I would sort of hold my breath and hope that we didn't go in. Now that I'm older I can appreciate it, but when I was little... I feared it. I really did.

So if they're adding a small little Muppets thing in the area outside to make it more kid-friendly, I can maybe understand. That's not the worst thing Disney could do, and it'll have its upsides. However, I do believe that, in a park with so much to do, not everything has to be for everyone. The Hall of Presidents draws its audience, and young families just aren't part of that audience. Also, the Muppets thing could be misleading, and lead to more disappointment after experiencing the HoP. Especially if you just waited in a long line. And we really don't need lines out the door for the HoP either.

And finally, those nightmares and that dislike and fear I had toward it when I was little... that's part of the memory. Just as scary rides that cause a child to cry create memories too. It adds to the experience and it leaves you with plenty to remember, and long for, down the road. And memories lead to return visits.

So I don't hate this idea with a passion, but I think it's best for things to stay as they are.

AEfx

I never even bothered to check back at this thread because the rumor was so absurd that I assumed it had to be made up. But now I see quite a few people are saying this is indeed being considered. And I realize it makes an ounce of sense.

Yeah, it just sounds like an additional little bit - and Sam the Eagle certainly does fit into that theme. I don't see the uproar on this one as it doesn't sound like it's replacing anything or removing anything. If it gets kids more interested in history, I can't see any harm in it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom