The Mummy (check this out) !

pyschotropic

Original Poster
I think this ride could very well be the first rollercoaster with a motionbase platform perhaps an Indiana Jones Adventure on steroids, if you think about it this does makes sense. If you want to build a rollercoaster like that of Space Mtn or RnRc, and then add in thrilling technology and special effects like Spiderman it's a perfect match to an already out of control experience. Imagine a track built within set's and scenes of special effects and imagery, at the same time your cruising the coaster track as sensors and linear induction motors tell the cars when to slow down and speed up in sycronization with the scenes. While all of that is going on in the attraction your coaster cars will be moving on motion base platforms as they are sycronized with the action going on around them. This experience would be similar to the Indiana Jones Adventure, but with the major difference of being the first motionbase rollercoaster with the option of being able to add inversions to the ride. Of course I could be totally wrong about this, but If this isn't right mabye I could get a job their one day and share that idea with them saying this is what The Mummy should have been! :)

AndyMagic

I don't understand why it takes Disney more than 3 years to build a ride (Mission: SPACE) but Universal can build a groundbreaking ride like Mummy in about a year and a half. It baffles me.

Epcot is my fav

Yea it confuses me too........Disney needs to speed up the ride making process...all the waiting makes you crazy and then you build the ride up to this great thing and it turns out not so great i.e Test Track...dont get me wrong its a great ride but i was a little dissappointed the first time riding it

Testtrack321

It all depends on how you look at it. Mummy hasn't been announced yet, but it has been under construction for 6 months now. That's like M:S being announced in September instead of April. Also, Mummy uses an old ride building, while M:S uses a new one with hard to construct structural elements.

AndyMagic

Originally posted by Testtrack321
It all depends on how you look at it. Mummy hasn't been announced yet, but it has been under construction for 6 months now. That's like M:S being announced in September instead of April. Also, Mummy uses an old ride building, while M:S uses a new one with hard to construct structural elements.
Indeed, but the hard to construct structural elements have been completed since October 2002 so that's not what is holding this thing up. It really seems like Disney rides have always taken incredibly long amounts of time to open. Winnie the Pooh at Disneyland is a short dark ride that is a near clone of the WDW version yet took about 4 months longer to open than Universal is taking to build their groundbreaking 3d attraction Shrek 4D. Also, entire theme parks are built in a shorter amount of time than Mission: SPACE. It is seriously one of the longest construction projects in recent memory. OPEN IT ALREADY!!!! If Tower of Terror was built in 2 years, there is no reason this ride should take 3 1/2. lol.. sorry I am getting a little too upset about this. :lol:

HMGhost13

maybe it's because disney doesn't have the time to do it like universtinks, opps sorry universal does. look at it this way. Disney doesn't HAVE to put anything where mission space is...universal does. why? because they made a huge deal out of it. also, disney needs to be pretty sure this is how they want it to go. and when i say pretty sure i mean completely absolutely sure this is what they want to go into place, this means private riding from guests to get their reactions to it.

if they had done this with Twister at USF, i'm pretty sure that dumb ride wouldn't be there.

WDWspider

Their are a few indoor coasters that have been around for a few decades now that have show elements with cheaper animatronics. The Blazing Fury at Dollywood in TN is an Indoor Coaster that has many scenes and special effects along with traditional coaster segments and even a water splash.

Obviously the Mummy could be a new generation breed of this technology, and linear induction motors greatly enhance the potential. I just wanted to be sure everyone realize this is not a new concept, and that it is very possible to pull off... especially in the amount of room that you have in the old Kong building.

I think a coaster in a Spider-man environment is a very good propablity and I also fell their is plenty of room for great coaster tracks. Only thing I can't see is if the coaster itself will be part of the theme? Maybe if it is a ride in a Museum, or either mine carts in an Expedition. Other than that I don't see a coaster fitting correctly.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Originally posted by AndyMagic
I don't understand why it takes Disney more than 3 years to build a ride (Mission: SPACE) but Universal can build a groundbreaking ride like Mummy in about a year and a half. It baffles me.

The answer to this one is straightforward...

Mission Space has never been built before. It is a one-of-a-kind, totally unique ride system.

Many many coasters have been built before, and adding scenary and set pieces to a coaster is nothing new.

With those 2 points in mind, Universal will be able to build their coaster far quicker than Disney can implement their totally new ride system.

I also have to agree that Disney takes forever to build a ride. It will take a year and a half to redo Space Mountain at DL while Magic Mountain has a new coaster already. :brick:

WDWFREAK53

Originally posted by twistedmickey
I also have to agree that Disney takes forever to build a ride. It will take a year and a half to redo Space Mountain at DL while Magic Mountain has a new coaster already. :brick:

2 times the work...

SPACE MOUNTAIN REDO - Take down and rebuild

NEW COASTER - JUST BUILD

(and...THEMING!)

MrPromey

I'm not going to hold my breath on a motion base platform roller coaster... This was the original concept for both Test Track in Epcot and the now shuttered Rocket Rods at DL.
The problem that they had with Test Track was that the forces put on the simulator system when run at high speeds kept causing major damage to the equipment. That is largely why the cars you ride in on Test Track operate much like a real car rather than as a traditional ride system... Now if you think there are problems with Test Track's reliability, just imagine the issues with what they tried to do that didn't work. I don't know of any other company in the world that invests as much as Disney in this kind of technology...

I believe that Universal's new "innovative" 3D movie is going into a theater that previously housed another 3D movie. My guess would be that the conversion is greatly simplified by this. As for the movie itself, this is something that can be done totally off site and could be near completion before they even begin to referb the theater.

One last thing that I feel the need to remind everyone of is that we have yet to see any of the talked about attractions in a state of completion so it is hard to judge them with any kind of real comparison to quality/construction time.

pheneix

The #1 reason why Mission Space is taking so long to build is because it is much cheaper to build over a long length of time than it is to build within a year or so. The quick construction of DCA's Tower of Terror is proof that Disney can build a ride (even if the advanced technology is cut out) if they really feel the need to.

>>>I believe that Universal's new "innovative" 3D movie is going into a theater that previously housed another 3D movie.<<<

They've pretty much had to gut the portion of the soundstage that will house Shrek 4D. Only the basic footprint of the old theater (and more specifically the projection room) will be a reminder of what used to be in Hitchcock.

BTW, all of this talk about a motion base simulator coaster prompted me to bring up the patents that Universal holds on a quasi-simulator coaster. These were the plans filed for the Apollo 13 coaster back in 1999:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?O225417D3

Remember, just because a patent is held on it doesn't mean it is getting built, but this should provide a new perspective on things.

Favrefire4

Alright lets look at the facts. Mission Space is a groundbreaking ride that has never been attempted before. The Mummy is a rollercoaster and thats basically all we know about it. Who knows how high calibur of a ride it's going to be. If you fil-flopped the two I'm sure they would still be done at the same time as there going to. Lets not forget Disney never just slaps anything on a ride, I am sure they are putting every detail into Mission Space that is humanly possible. Would you rather just have the ride with no detail or anything or have the ride with excellent detail? I know how I feel about this question.

AndyMagic

Originally posted by Favrefire4
Alright lets look at the facts. Mission Space is a groundbreaking ride that has never been attempted before. The Mummy is a rollercoaster and thats basically all we know about it. Who knows how high calibur of a ride it's going to be. If you fil-flopped the two I'm sure they would still be done at the same time as there going to. Lets not forget Disney never just slaps anything on a ride, I am sure they are putting every detail into Mission Space that is humanly possible. Would you rather just have the ride with no detail or anything or have the ride with excellent detail? I know how I feel about this question.
I understand where you are coming from and of course, I would rather them take their time and deliver a fabulous ride. However, I have to agree with Pheonix that it is much cheaper to build an incredibly expensive ride over a long period of time. Also, building an incredibly detailed one of a kind ride still shouldn't take as long as this thing. As everyone else has said, Spider-Man and Tower of Terror were both built in much less time. I understand that testing these things might take a while and that it is hard to time all the effects but my question is, why did it take 2 years to get the ride system in place for the testing to begin? I know I could be wrong but I think the overall construction of the ride could have been done about a year and half ago with test adjust lasting for about 6 - 8 months after that. I mean... the skeleton of the Mission: SPACE building practically went up slower than DCA's entire Tower of Terror structure frame! :eek:

WDWFREAK53

I understand where you are coming from and of course, I would rather them take their time and deliver a fabulous ride. However, I have to agree with Pheonix that it is much cheaper to build an incredibly expensive ride over a long period of time. Also, building an incredibly detailed one of a kind ride still shouldn't take as long as this thing. As everyone else has said, Spider-Man and Tower of Terror were both built in much less time. I understand that testing these things might take a while and that it is hard to time all the effects but my question is, why did it take 2 years to get the ride system in place for the testing to begin? I know I could be wrong but I think the overall construction of the ride could have been done about a year and half ago with test adjust lasting for about 6 - 8 months after that. I mean... the skeleton of the Mission: SPACE building practically went up slower than DCA's entire Tower of Terror structure frame! :eek:

Ummm...coming from an engineering background...do me a favor...look at the BUILDING of M:S and then look at the building for ToT...(granted...it needs to incorporate for more forces) but...the complexity of the building facade of M:S is a little bit higher than the complexity of ToT. (That glass sphere isn't exactly EASY to construct)...if you're off a 1/32" of an inch...you're in trouble.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I understand where you are coming from and of course, I would rather them take their time and deliver a fabulous ride. However, I have to agree with Pheonix that it is much cheaper to build an incredibly expensive ride over a long period of time.

Mission Space hasnt been built on a deliberately slowed down timetable. They have been working flat out on this for years, and when onsite construction started, they were on a 7 day per week shedule, I dont think you can go much faster than that! It certainly is not on a slowed-down plan as Pop Century is.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom