The Mummy (check this out) !

AndyMagic

Originally posted by wdwmagic
Mission Space hasnt been built on a deliberately slowed down timetable. They have been working flat out on this for years, and when onsite construction started, they were on a 7 day per week shedule, I dont think you can go much faster than that! It certainly is not on a slowed-down plan as Pop Century is.
I hope so... I guess I am just a little too excited.

pheneix

>>>the complexity of the building facade of M:S is a little bit higher than the complexity of ToT<<<

The Tower of Terror is a more complex structure by far. Mission Space is basically a warehouse structure with some theming attached on to it (a harsh definition yes, but a warehouse with a nice facade is NOTHING compared to a structure that has to go through what Tower does). ToT is NOT a warehouse structure by any means of the word, and the earthquake proofing that has to go in to this building only compounds the situation even worse.

>>>if you're off a 1/32" of an inch...you're in trouble<<<

That goes for any construction project.

>>>Mission Space hasnt been built on a deliberately slowed down timetable.<<<

It depends on what you consider "crippled." One of the major selling points made about this project in Burbank was that it was being built out over a long length of time to minimize costs. That's been the same with every attraction Disney has been building lately, unless of course it is for DCA, where anything cheap enough is rushed to completion.

Universal Studios Hollywood is doing the same thing for Shrek 4D. They've also had to gut a building to make room for the new theater, but they have been doing it for over a year vs. the accelerated time table that Shrek 4D is on in Florida.

Mission Space was never "crippled" like Pop Century, but it could have been built a HELL of a lot faster.

WDWFREAK53

(First of all...I believe I stated "apart from the structure...and talking JUST facades") I do understand that ToT's structural engineering must've been unbelievably time/money consuming. Next...it is not true for "ANY construction project" (that's what "joints" are for...to take into account for "error"...and...have you ever seen a building where the steel and floor slabs are exactly within 1/32" of the original contract drawings?) (that's what "tolerances" are for)

WDWspider

Originally posted by WDWFREAK53
(First of all...I believe I stated "apart from the structure...and talking JUST facades") I do understand that ToT's structural engineering must've been unbelievably time/money consuming. Next...it is not true for "ANY construction project" (that's what "joints" are for...to take into account for "error"...and...have you ever seen a building where the steel and floor slabs are exactly within 1/32" of the original contract drawings?) (that's what "tolerances" are for)

I can second that. I work on Cabinets and there are more slop areas in the assembly of a tight final cabinet then you could convience any one of, so I would imagine this is very true in Building frames.

pheneix

>>>First of all...I believe I stated "apart from the structure...and talking JUST facades<<<

No, you pretty much shifted gears in the same sentence without giving any warning of doing so, now that I see what you were trying to say.

>>>Next...it is not true for "ANY construction project" (that's what "joints" are for...to take into account for "error"...and...have you ever seen a building where the steel and floor slabs are exactly within 1/32" of the original contract drawings?) (that's what "tolerances" are for)<<<

That's all true, but the point I am trying to make is that for all of the challenges that are being tackled for Mission Space as far as structural integrity goes, the three ToTs had to face them too, as well as many others* (it's really going to be interesting in twenty-five years to see how tall the Tower of Terror will be in DisneySea, because they have a major problem with sinking soil there. Cinderella Castle has already lost a few inches over the years because of the fact that it was built in a landfill).

* That didn't really come out right either, since you also kind of made that point in your posts. But still, a facade attached to a warehouse is NOTHING compared to a structure like the Tower of Terror or Splash Mountain (at WDW), but of which went up in shorter time frames than Mission Space.

AndyMagic

Good points pheneix! I don't understand why everyone else refuses to admit that this thing shouldn't be taking this long. Everyone just keeps ignoring all the examples of "one of a kind" rides that went up in half the time. Heck, if M:S doesn't open soon then all of MGM Studios Theme Park was built faster! :hammer:

WDWFREAK53

gutting Horizons, leveling Horizons :cry: , removal of Horizons, clearing of land...

engineering and designing the ride system (which could've been done WAY before construction)

(as far as warehouse...it may "look" like your typical warehouse...but don't forget the "centrifuge" areas and the slabs, steel, and concrete...this is a little more involved than a "warehouse") (10 heavy pods flying around a center pod at a VERY fast rate X 4 will need a little more "to it" than a "warehouse")

Next...you build the very difficult facade and "courtyard" area.

(How long have we been looking at the same view of M:S?) The "building" is complete...they're installing the ride system, testing it, etc...the gift shop is a very minimal thing...that's why it was not completed

Pheneix I see where you are coming from...but...I can't see your reasoning behind "this should've been done by now" when this hasn't been "done before"

MrPromey

I think that in all cases, we should wait until the attractions open before we judge the amount of time it took to erect them.

The new 3-D attraction going into the MK is being done over the course of a year and it is supposed to be groundbreaking and requiring more space than the theater it is replacing needed….

As cool as Spiderman is, the sum of its parts adds up to more than the individual pieces… The sets are not that overly detailed (not needed since it is a comic book world) and the actual ride vehicles aren’t anything more than a motion simulator with an open front (back to the future, anyone?) on wheels. They worked out a few things dealing with the way the 3D movie was made but this isn’t something that could be done along side the construction… Don’t get me wrong, I’m not trying to diss the ride but it is more of a creative implementation of existing ride technologies than the creation of new ones. I’m sure obstacles had to be overcome in the design and construction phases but I think their current problems have more to do with the fact that only one of a fair number of somewhat complex systems has to malfunction for things not to go right. For instance, if any one of the projection systems for the 3D films is ‘off’ it can cause one side of the glasses to go grey during that scene and can induce motion sickness in the riders who experience it…

We are told that with Mission Space, we will be getting a ride system unlike anything else ever built for entertainment purposes. That is a pretty lofty statement and since it is pretty much pre-opening hype, it should probably be taken with a grain of salt but given what we already do know about it and considering that there will be user control with live feedback, I would guess that this ride will require an unprecedented amount of testing and adjustments not only for the ride experience and comfort but also for rider safety. Of course, this is all just a guess on pretty much everyone’s part. We won’t actually be able to tell if the time was well spent until we actually see what it is, I may end up having to say that… gasp… it hurts to even think about it… I… might… be… wrong! ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom