The most underrated Disney resort?

wiigirl

I would have to say the Campgrounds at Fort Wilderness. We rented a cabin and a golf cart during our stay. We had so much fun.

This..:p
75.gif

Upvote 0

tracyandalex

definitely the Cabins at Ft Wilderness!

I dont think I've seen anyone on here say they're staying at the Cabins and I just feel bad for them...LOL (J/K)

But really, the cabins were amazing. We were there last April with my family of 5 and my MIL and it was so nice, at the end of the day to have the kids go into the back room to take a nap/go to bed while we could have some time in the living room. Or the private porch with a private BBQ. Or the pools!

And taking the Ferry to the MK was the PERFECT way to start/end a day!

We are staying at FW for the first time in 65 days!! We are so excited. I'm glad to see another good review because there is not much out there on FW.

Upvote 0

tracyandalex

the cabins are great, and the campground offers so many activities, plus the golf carts are a blast! My family and I have made so many great memories there.

Do you have to pre-order a golf cart or can we decide if we want one when we get there? We will have a car so not sure if a golf cart is really necessary.

Upvote 0

Epcot-Rules

Original Poster
Do you have to pre-order a golf cart or can we decide if we want one when we get there? We will have a car so not sure if a golf cart is really necessary.
Yes order it now. We went during Thanksgiving and they were all gone. I had to give mine up 3 days early because I didn't book far enough in advanced. You can bring your own as long as it's street legal.

Upvote 0

harleebug

Fort Wilderness without a doubt for us. We just got back Sunday from 10 days in the cabin and are already ready to go back. A golf cart really is a must for getting around the Fort. If you come back from a park late and have a sleepy child, it's much easier to hop on the cart from the boat or bus and head home!

Upvote 0

Epcot-Rules

Original Poster
@ DisneyPrincess

I have 3 boys, they were 15, 13, and 10 the trip we stayed at the cabins. It is like having your own house at Disney. There is a private deck with a built in grill where I grilled steaks. I use to smoke so this was nice. I didn't have to go find a smoking area like all the other places at Disney. I'm glad I quit!!

We drive to Disney so we go grocery shopping. You will have a full kitchen for cooking.
Rent a golf cart. Your cabin will have a local bus stop but that bus will only transport you to the front where you will catch another bus to the parks. Same for retuning from the parks. If you have a cart, you can just drive to the front. They will have cart parking. I almost forgot, there is a marina in the back of the camp ground with boat service to MK and the transportation depot where you can catch the Monorail to Epcot.

There is lots to do there like swimming, fishing, biking, boating, jet sking if you rent them, outdoor nightly movies. In the back of the place there is a full bar if you like mix drinks or beer. They have sports games on also. There is the Hoop-Dee-Doo music review, it's a dinner show. There is a beach area there if you like to lay out.
If you have a car Down Town Disney is very near. If you are going around Christmas all the motor homes will be decorated. We are the outdoors kind of family, thats why we love going here. My wife and I are buying a new travel trailer this weekend so we can camp there in February.

It's a very private experience staying in a cabin. No screeming kids running down the hallways slaming doors all hours of the night. We stayed in November so the weather was very nice to be outdoors. We stayed for 6 days so by the end of the 4th day we were more into driving the cart around and sight seeing. FYI, this camp ground is huge, not sure how many square miles but it's big.

I hope you and your family enjoy your stay as much as we did.

Upvote 0

steviej

I think it all comes down to personal preference, so what one person sees as under- or overrated another might feel has been done justice.

I think the Poly and CR are both over-rated and that AKL is seriously not given the love it deserves. But I love the AKL and do not care for CR. (The Poly is fine, but not as good as its hype.)

AKL. great resort with great animal views and not nearly as far from parks as some would think.

I absolutely loved AKL. Loved the ambiance and the views and everything, plus having one of my favorite restaurants at WDW, Boma, right downstairs was pretty nice too!

The only drawback was, that unlike other hotels and dvc resorts, you couldn't park right outside your room/unit. And after a day of walking in the parks, that walk back to your room adds up lol

Upvote 0

DisneyPrincess5

@ DisneyPrincess

I have 3 boys, they were 15, 13, and 10 the trip we stayed at the cabins. It is like having your own house at Disney. There is a private deck with a built in grill where I grilled steaks. I use to smoke so this was nice. I didn't have to go find a smoking area like all the other places at Disney. I'm glad I quit!!

We drive to Disney so we go grocery shopping. You will have a full kitchen for cooking.
Rent a golf cart. Your cabin will have a local bus stop but that bus will only transport you to the front where you will catch another bus to the parks. Same for retuning from the parks. If you have a cart, you can just drive to the front. They will have cart parking. I almost forgot, there is a marina in the back of the camp ground with boat service to MK and the transportation depot where you can catch the Monorail to Epcot.

There is lots to do there like swimming, fishing, biking, boating, jet sking if you rent them, outdoor nightly movies. In the back of the place there is a full bar if you like mix drinks or beer. They have sports games on also. There is the Hoop-Dee-Doo music review, it's a dinner show. There is a beach area there if you like to lay out.
If you have a car Down Town Disney is very near. If you are going around Christmas all the motor homes will be decorated. We are the outdoors kind of family, thats why we love going here. My wife and I are buying a new travel trailer this weekend so we can camp there in February.

It's a very private experience staying in a cabin. No screeming kids running down the hallways slaming doors all hours of the night. We stayed in November so the weather was very nice to be outdoors. We stayed for 6 days so by the end of the 4th day we were more into driving the cart around and sight seeing. FYI, this camp ground is huge, not sure how many square miles but it's big.

I hope you and your family enjoy your stay as much as we did.
Wow so great to know!! Thanks so much we will look into this now.

Upvote 0

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
By the process of elimination ...

Coronado Springs Resort

The Monorail and Epcot resorts get plenty of attention; they can't possibly be considered underrated. Ditto with WL and AKL. Every month or two, there's another thread about which is better, POR or POFQ, so it can't be one of those. CBR gets attention because of the popularity of 'Pirates'. The Cabins & Campgrounds are popular among the camping set. All of the Value Resorts receive a fair amount of attention as well, although ASM always seems to be low on people's list. (Which is why it almost always has the best discounts for the Value Resorts.)

After eliminating the rest, we're left with CSR: the best bus service among the moderates, a well-themed pool, an interesting lobby & food court, and recently renovated. Because of its association with conventions, some people have asked me if it was a Disney resort (a la Swan & Dolphin).

If DVCs count in the mix I'd say Old Key West. I just stayed at Coronado not long ago, I put CSR in the same category as ASM. Worst of the moderates and always has the best discounts of the moderates. When I was there the buses were horrible, some days waiting upwards of 45 minutes. Guests melting down at the CM at bus stop one, this was off season April. Their new style of dining isn't a hit among many of the guests, me included. The resort has so much potential to rise again but not with the bus service I had nor the new buffet only at CS. They are shooting themselves in the foot.

Upvote 0

Tusportsfan

As long as you manage not to hit a booked convention, this is another vote for CSR. The first time we stayed there, my daughter was 1 of 3 lids in the pool, the line at the pool bar, however was 15 - 20 deep.

That said, she loved the main pool, and the lobby/gift shop/food court area is well above the other moderates. We would not hesitate to stay there again.

Upvote 0

ParentsOf4

In general, the Moderate Resorts are underrated. All offer extensively themed and well-maintained public areas while costing considerably less than the Deluxe Resorts. Given the number of DVC and Value Resorts built, it's rather disappointing WDW hasn't built an additional Moderate Resort in 15 years (CSR in 1997).

Upvote 0

EvilQueen-T

i would also say coronado springs resort. we've stayed there once so far and really liked it. for comparison we've also stayed at wl, poly x3, gf, contemporary x2, pofq x6, por x4, cbr x2, music x2, movies, sports, ssr treehouse villas, and bwi.

Upvote 0

Epcot-Rules

Original Poster
I must say that I have stayed at CSR twice and I think it is beautiful there. The only problem I had both times was that I was a long way from the main pool and lobby. Seams like a mile walk in the morning just to get fresh coffee and bagels.

Upvote 0

luis71091

yes, reserve them asap. I always drive up(from Miami) in my own car, but it's just not the same experience driving around FW in a car, plus it's just easier to get around with the cart. They are so much fun, it's worth the extra cost. Plus, if you are going during Halloween or Christmas, make sure you check out the holiday displays, they are awesome! Having the golf cart makes it easier to pull over and walk through the displays. Hope this helped! :)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom