The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

brb1006

Another episode of "Disney Files On Demand" has been uploaded to The Disney Park Youtube channel. This time Don Hahn is exploring "Walt Disney's Railroad Barn" with Bill Farmer (Goofy, Pluto, and Horace Horsecollar).

Like the episode with Floyd Norman, it's seriously worth the watch for hardcore Disney fans.

Dear Prudence

Another episode of "Disney Files On Demand" has been uploaded to The Disney Park Youtube channel. This time Don Hahn is exploring "Walt Disney's Railroad Barn" with Bill Farmer (Goofy, Pluto, and Horace Horsecollar).

Like the episode with Floyd Norman, it's seriously worth the watch for hardcore Disney fans.

Bill Farmer and Floyd Norman are such lovely human beings.

waltography

I agree, and I’m saying that as someone who adores 50’s fashion and will occasionally dress up in the style. But I do it only for special occasions, maybe once or twice a year. It’s too much work and it can be uncomfortable.
I love Dapper Day for this reason; good excuse to dress up at the parks and not feel out of place, and I feel classy riding the opening day rides. But even with 50s menswear being a little more flexible it's still too uncomfy for a full day at the parks.

Californian Elitist

I love Dapper Day for this reason; good excuse to dress up at the parks and not feel out of place, and I feel classy riding the opening day rides. But even with 50s menswear being a little more flexible it's still too uncomfy for a full day at the parks.
Agreed. My friends and I loved dressing up for Dapper Day a few years ago, but our feet were KILLING US. I was smart enough to bring a pair of sandals and flats, as well as a separate outfit that was still period-appropriate, but much more comfortable. I can only imagine what men may experience with the clothing.😬

lazyboy97o

I dislike Dapper Day because seeing adults wearing pre-tied ties (mostly bowties but also neck ties) irrationally grinds my gears.

waltography

I dislike Dapper Day because seeing adults wearing pre-tied ties (mostly bowties but also neck ties) irrationally grinds my gears.
It doesn't bother me, but I like tying my own bow-tie because it feels more vintage/authentic that way (plus the look of an untied bowtie is more attractive than an unhooked pre-tied one just hanging around your neck 😂).

WoodyAnaheim

I don't know if this is a miscellaneous thought or not. If anyone is in the parks in the next day or 2 and willing to pick up 2 park maps each (DL and DCA) and send them to me that would be awesome. We are surprising the kids next week with a trip (so in like 10 days) and the park maps would be good reading on the plane. I know I can print them from the website or show the app, but that's not quite the same, especially for my little one. DM me and let me know, I'll make the hassle worth it - thanks!
Send me your address and I can mail you a set.

Californian Elitist

Let's note difference.
View attachment 585889
View attachment 585890
View attachment 585891
View attachment 585892
Simple. Modest. Well proportioned. They do not cause unnecessary attraction to themselves. They are behaving in a way that is respectable and respectful. They dress the way they do because they are adults with jobs that require them to own a suit.

Now let's look at Dapper Day guests.

View attachment 585886

View attachment 585887
View attachment 585888
Exaggerated. Caricatures. Unshaven. Obese. Everything about their behavior summons attention towards them. They are not content with living life, they must be the focal point. They dress like this because they are children wishing to live in a land of make believe, not because they are adults with a sense of style. They imitate without understanding the tradition they make a mockery of.

When I say "We have to go back," I do not mean to parody those who came before, I mean to honor their image and their ideals, to strive for something greater than ourselves in our actions. I wear a tucked in, button down shirt because I'm an adult man and that's what adult men wear (though it would be just as appropriate to wear a button up, or even a polo, should the weather permit). I do not wear a three piece suit with a top hat, pocket watch, and cane to match, because that is not what adults wear, nor do I wear graphic tees with pop culture references. To dress in either fashion other than I do would be to put the focus on me, which is the problem of the lady that sparked this conversation; she cares only for her needs and wants, not those of others.
You conveniently picked photos of guests who do a form of cosplay and/or matched for the occasion. Also, the folks in the first Dapper Day photo look better than everyone in those 50s photos, but that’s subjective. Also, the folks from those photos weren’t causing “unnecessary attraction to themselves” because literally everyone dressed like that because it was the style at the time.

Have you ever actually been to a Dapper Day at the park? There are plenty of people who look exactly like like basic folks in those 1950s photos, and sometimes even better. Additionally, there are plenty of people who dress as such on a regular basis.

Someone’s taking themselves way too seriously.

MoonRakerSCM

Curious... problems spur from people abusing their rules as it is. I've seen people at WDW wearing things that make me blush... and things that make me almost vomit.

But hey now, I'm on a business trip right now and am wearing my tie dye COLLARED shirt in the evening at dinner. Is that enough effort to appear civilized? Would Disney let me in with this business casual dress code?

My office attire is business casual with jeans. But the few Saturdays I've gone in over the years it's full on shorts, sandals, and a tie dye shirt for me (my informal protest to the man, but then my boss came in wearing practically the same thing).

My usual trips to dland or WDW is shorts and Hawaiian shirts. Though I full on admit last time at Epcot we did the drinking around the world and had the shirts with checkboxes on them. Truly our proudest Disney moment.

Even with those stupid shirts, we still looked a ton better than some of the things I've seen hanging out on guests around the resort. If I want to see those things, I'd look in the mirror at home in my unmentionables.

Californian Elitist

I suppose people have every right to judge others for how they look at a theme park. Just as others have every right to ignore that judgement. And then there are those of us that attend the theme park surrounded by people more concerned with fun than appearance.
Are you obese and go to Disneyland? Cuz if you are, folks in the 50’s who went to Disneyland weren’t obese. Also, throw on some heels next time.

Please do better.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom