The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

Rich T

You can! All it takes is five minutes of badly drawn Mii art.

81aJ-R4E6gL._SY500_.jpg
Hmmmph. ‘Scuse me, the customizable Mii faces aren’t “badly drawn,” they’re “charmingly stylized.” 😄
But, yeah, this amazing game is endlessly flexible—dig a liitle into the options and it unfolds into a make-your-own-fighting-game workshop complete with post-game screenshot filters and a Youtube video editor. You can stage politcal fights, celebrity feuds... or company take-backs!

Last edited:

Rich T

Crazy New Theme Park Land Opens!

This weekend, Phantasialand in Germany soft-opened its 4-years-in-production new area, the Steampunk-themed town of Rookburgh with its next-gen flying coaster, F.L.Y. Some good Vlogging ensued to bring it all to the internet, and... wow!

The flying coaster looks astonishing; as intertwined with the buildings and walkways as the bobsled tracks are with DL’s Matterhorn. Nonstop headchoppers and near-misses between girders: Lando’s Death Star Run—the Ride.

The land itself, Rookburgh, is a VERY different approach to steampunk compared to what Disney’s dabbled with. Whereas Disney steampunk is about wealthy adventurers, Rookburgh is a hard-edged, working-class industrial setting that’s believable and impressive—-almost to a fault. No polished brass or stained glass in this factory town, and not a speck of greenery. Brick walls, pipes... Imagine a whole land that looks like Chipotle.

Tons of kinetic energy, though! Steam, mist, machinery, robots... and the coaster everywhere, with the necessary safety fences and metal grid barriers fitting the industrial theme. Much of the theming looks like it came straight from Home Depot, but it’s all put together into something unique and creative.

I’ve got mixed feelings about Rookburgh, but it’s growing on me. I think it needs a bit of warmth. The coaster, however, looks incredible.

Last edited:

Phroobar

The Enchanted Tale of Beauty and the Beast just opened in Tokyo and it is absolutely stunning.

It looks ok but I expected more than just driving from one room to another to watch a couple of AA wiggle and have my bowl dance around the room. It seems to suffer from pacing issues. The mob scene could have been better but just feels like a hallway between rooms. I wonder if those motion bases would make me seasick like Pooh does.

mickEblu

Original Poster
The Enchanted Tale of Beauty and the Beast just opened in Tokyo and it is absolutely stunning.

It looks beautiful but it comes across as the Little Mermaid ride on an E ticket scale. Just a tour through the happy songs in big ballrooms. At least Mermaid has Ursulas lair to break it up. Kind of disappointed Gaston doesn’t make an appearance of any kind, unless I missed it?

No drama and it feels like the scenes are too long. I think MMRR looks like a better ride experience. In fact, I think if I had to choose between the Frozen boat ride or this for DLR I’d go with the former. Again, it does look stunning but that’s kind of where it stops for me.

It almost feels that Disney has decided to completely take out drama from the Disney “fantasyland” style rides. Like they completely save it for Star Wars and Marvel stuff, yet they aren’t even doing it right with those IP.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Imagineering peaked in the 60’s. Technology is making it easier yet harder for imagineers to create the right kind of atmosphere for these dark rides. And there is some company mandate against having any scary or weird mixed in with Disney IP.

Yes, I know OLC owns TDR.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Can anyone give me an example of a modern E ticket that has a moment as intimate and well done as the corridor of doors in the HM? Why can’t they build up a little more sense of suspense/ mystery as we tour Beasts castle? Instead of them making us feel like we re experiencing a real place they immediately throw you into “Be our Guest.”

truecoat

It looks beautiful but it comes across as the Little Mermaid ride on an E ticket scale. Just a tour through the happy songs in big ballrooms. At least Mermaid has Ursulas lair to break it up. Kind of disappointed Gaston doesn’t make an appearance of any kind, unless I missed it?

No drama and it feels like the scenes are too long. I think MMRR looks like a better ride experience. In fact, I think if I had to choose between the Frozen boat ride or this for DLR I’d go with the former. Again, it does look stunning but that’s kind of where it stops for me.

It almost feels that Disney has decided to completely take out drama from the Disney “fantasyland” style rides. Like they completely save it for Star Wars and Marvel stuff, yet they aren’t even doing it right with those IP.

It looks like it has 5? scenes. Be our guest, they fall in love, here comes the pitchforks, transform and Tale as Old as Time. Also, that Mrs. Potts at the end belongs on the Island of Dr. Moreau.

Rich T

So this is what Beast’s Castle would’ve looked like if it’d had huge garage doors everywhere.

Seriously, the sets and AAs are stunning. There are clever effects and great sound. The first Belle and Beast AAs are fantastic and presented effectively.

But the ride is what I figured it would be. If what you want is an AA recreation of the Disney Park B&tB stage shows that leaves out all the thrilling parts that would have made a better *ride*, well here ya go.

The “Something There” room would have been a great quick ride-through scene. As a dance-along setpiece, it’s awkward and overlong. For THIS we gave up a wolf chase????

For me, the deal-breaker is having Belle dance with Prince Nobody instead of Beast. There’s a reason Belle’s dance with Beast is the film’s most famous scene. No one cares about Prince Nobody. Plus the human servants look weirdly out of proportion here.

The Wardrobe was the scariest thing on the whole ride.
(edit)
No, on second viewing, Mrs. Potts in human form is the scariest thing in the ride, and possibly the scariest AA in any theme park on Earth.

Last edited:

Mac Tonight

Imagineering peaked in the 60’s. Technology is making it easier yet harder for imagineers to create the right kind of atmosphere for these dark rides. And there is some company mandate against having any scary or weird mixed in with Disney IP.

Yes, I know OLC owns TDR.
I know you weren't able to experience it, but Imagineering peaked in the 80's-90's with Epcot Center 1.0. Maybe even up to and including DAK 1.0. But nothing since Expedition Everest and then the anomaly that is CarsLand.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I know you weren't able to experience it, but Imagineering peaked in the 80's-90's with Epcot Center 1.0. Maybe even up to and including DAK 1.0. But nothing since Expedition Everest and then the anomaly that is CarsLand.

I’ll have to take your word for it but knowing my personal tastes I still think I’d side with the 60s and POTC/ HM.

Phroobar

Also did that pre show feel like it was 45 minutes or is it just me?

Or is it because I don’t understand Japanese?
The preshow sucked. Watch the video and look at bean bunny on steroids growl. Then stand in more lines for the bowl arrive. It's like Pooh Hunny Hunt without the story.

Phroobar

I think this ride would make me sick. There is too much spinning and moving when all I want to do is focus on the singing AA figures. It looks like everyone faces the same direction in their bowl.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom