The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

mickEblu

Original Poster
It is indeed an irrelevant and disturbing plot point...

Then again, so is the fact that Snow White was supposed to be... 14!

tenor.gif

Forgot to say especially an easy fix as she looks more 21 than 16. All they literally had to do was just not say her age.

Mac Tonight

Forgot to say especially an easy fix as she looks more 21 than 16. All they literally had to do was just not say her age.
Yeah... it's a strange detail for them to explicitly mention, especially since it has no bearing on the plot. Apart from perhaps adding to her character's "angsty teen" persona.

PiratesMansion

Why couldn’t they have just said Ariel was 21? Or even 18? The fact that she’s 16 has nothing to do with the plot of the Little Mermaid. All it does is weird modern audiences out. Even if it was done to stay true to the source material that still wouldn’t make sense as it’s irrelevant to the story they presented.

Could be worse. Snow White is 14.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

It is indeed an irrelevant and disturbing plot point...

Then again, so is the fact that Snow White was supposed to be... 14!

tenor.gif
14 and 16 today are not the same as they were when these tales were first written. Don't forget you had young teenagers who were rulers of Egypt. Everything is realative to its historical time and place and you cant look back at it with the eyes of today and judge it for something its not.

mickEblu

Original Poster
14 and 16 today are not the same as they were when these tales were first written. Don't forget you had young teenagers who were rulers of Egypt. Everything is realative to its historical time and place and you cant look back at it with the eyes of today and judge it for something its not.

True yet her age has nothing to do with plot of the movie. Just really a head scratcher on why they explicitly state her age. In others words they had nothing to gain by making her 16.

Maybe they thought that the her relationship with her dad wouldn’t be believable if she were 18 and “could do whatever she wants.” Of course that wouldn’t be true for my family. I’m 37 and still scared of my Dad.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

True yet her age has nothing to do with plot of the movie. Just really a head scratcher on why they explicitly state her age. In others words they had nothing to gain by making her 16.

Maybe they thought that the her relationship with her dad wouldn’t be believable if she were 18 and “could do whatever she wants.” Of course that wouldn’t be true for my family. I’m 37 and still scared of my Dad.
They are keeping true to originally story. it doesnt hurt it or take away from it to me.

mickEblu

Original Poster
They are keeping true to originally story. it doesnt hurt it or take away from it to me.

That’s just the thing they aren’t really keeping true to the original story. 95% of that stuff in the movie is not in the book (I don’t think) so it’s just an odd detail to carry over being that it has nothing to do with the plot.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

That’s just the thing they aren’t really keeping true to the original story. 95% of that stuff in the movie is not in the book (I don’t think) so it’s just an odd detail to carry over being that it has nothing to do with the plot.
whatever the reason the age really doesnt matter. its a fictional tale

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom