The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

TROR

Bought some literature.

Anjin

Bought some literature.
View attachment 400145
I read the first four (?) John Carter books a few years back and really enjoyed them. They are definitely dated, but have a great sense of adventure. They're what got me interested in the Andrew Stanton movie.

If anyone is interested in trying them out, the first book, A Princess of Mars, is available as a public domain e-book.

Practical Pig

I read the first four (?) John Carter books a few years back and really enjoyed them. They are definitely dated, but have a great sense of adventure. They're what got me interested in the Andrew Stanton movie.

If anyone is interested in trying them out, the first book, A Princess of Mars, is available as a public domain e-book.

Many (if not all - not sure) of E.R. Burroughs novels, including the Mars series, are available in the public domain, which I expect you know. For others interested, here's a link to the Project Gutenberg collection:

I enjoyed John Carter. I wish the marketing hadn't been sabotaged botched.

Rich T

Just got the Apple Card. The virtual card starts off all white, then adds color in animated paintball-splashes every time you make a purchase. I tested it by buying a cheap little Nintendo Switch Sudoku game off of Nintendo's eshop. Immediately a splash of orange hit my card. I looked up which category of spending orange represents. Food and drink. Okay....

TROR

All these nerds crying over Spider-Man being lost to the MCU are pathetic. Your entire personality is based off the product you buy. Grow up. Imagine someone's entire identity coming from Tide Laundry Detergent? All they do is talk about Tide and cry when Tide's sales are slightly less than before. Tide wanted to screw over Persil by taking their profits and now we can't have the Tide-Persil hybrid bottle! I better donate money to Tide so they can buy out Persil! I want my Tide-Persil hybrid bottle and that's all that matters to me!

Rich T

All these nerds crying over Spider-Man being lost to the MCU are pathetic. Your entire personality is based off the product you buy. Grow up. Imagine someone's entire identity coming from Tide Laundry Detergent? All they do is talk about Tide and cry when Tide's sales are slightly less than before. Tide wanted to screw over Persil by taking their profits and now we can't have the Tide-Persil hybrid bottle! I better donate money to Tide so they can buy out Persil! I want my Tide-Persil hybrid bottle and that's all that matters to me!
In all fairness--and I *hate* superhero movies, btw--Marvel is a lot more fun than Tide.

Phroobar

We all know Lego is far superior to Mega Blocks.

socalifornian

Iger succession line of thought

>>"Some observers now believe the inside track may belong to Kevin Mayer, chairman of direct-to-consumer and international who is expected to appear at the [D23] convention to showcase Disney+. That Iger has called the upcoming streamer the 'most important product' to launch since he became CEO in 2005 speaks volumes about the stakes for Mayer, 57, and how the performance of Disney+ could influence who takes over when Iger retires at the end of 2021.

With global content and advertising sales in his purview, 'Kevin is controlling well over 50 percent of the company's revenue,' notes Neal Lenarsky of STI Management, an executive search firm for media. 'Running the direct-to-consumer puts him right in the bull's-eye of Disney's strategic future.'"

JD2000

KEY to a significantly less rough Matterhorn Bobsleds ride: stay loose, yet use the hand grips attached to the seat in front of you, and equally important, keep your back entirely off the seat. Your welcome.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

KEY to a significantly less rough Matterhorn Bobsleds ride: stay loose, yet use the hand grips attached to the seat in front of you, and equally important, keep your back entirely off the seat. Your welcome.
I don't go on the Matterhorn for a "smooth ride" i go on it because it is supposed to be bumpy like you are on a real bobsled. its part of what makes the ride fun. i hate this notion by everyone that every roller coaster needs to be smooth. since when????!!! the best coasters have a few rough spots and make the ride fun and part of the adventure. some of the greatest coasters i have ever been on are wooden coasters that are rough as hell and that is what makes them fun. If a coaster is too rough for you then you dont enjoy coasters. Now don't get me wrong there are some exceptions to the rule due to some coasters being very hurtful with shoulder rests and other things but generally i like my coaster a little rough.

Mac Tonight

You know what's funny? I typically hate flying because of how bumpy the take-off and landings are.
(well, there are other reasons too, but that's for another thread)

So the last two flights I've been on, I've purposely sat slightly more forward with my head off the seat
during both instances, and it makes a night and day difference. It also works during turbulence.
Most people naturally want to sit back and clench the arm rests, but pressing your head up against the seat
just increases the jostling.

Phroobar

You know what's funny? I typically hate flying because of how bumpy the take-off and landings are.
(well, there are other reasons too, but that's for another thread)

So the last two flights I've been on, I've purposely sat slightly more forward with my head off the seat
during both instances, and it makes a night and day difference. It also works during turbulence.
Most people naturally want to sit back and clench the arm rests, but pressing your head up against the seat
just increases the jostling.
Works on rollercoasters too.

lifeisgoodboy

I think they should add 2 more carts to one of the trains. One for a restaurant and other a kitchen.
or
buy a train and add two carts to it and one a restaurant and the other a kitchen.

Suspirian

How does a website that specializes in resort accommodations not understand that a 3 day / 2 night stay is not 3 days?
  • Day 1: You check in at 3 PM (giving housekeeping time to prep the rooms), which is half a day.
  • Day 2: You have a full day on day 2.
  • Day 3: you check out at 11 AM (giving housekeeping time to prep the rooms), which is half a day.
So, all totaled, it's 2 days. That's why your resort hotel will frame the number of days you're staying with then as the number of nights and not the number of days.

This is a 2 night stay. So, it's comparable to a 2 night stay in a resort or a 2 night cruise trip.

So, for one person, it's a total of $3,300, which is $1,650 per night.

For five friends sharing a room for 2 nights is a total of $7,200, or $3,600 per night. And when divided by the five buddies, $750 per night.

Indeed, unlike a standard hotel room where after the 2nd person there may be a small surcharge per night, the cost includes all the food and events of the two-day LARP, which is usually charged per head. So, there's a significant extra charge per person, but, the economics of the cost of the sleeping quarters being shared gives somewhat of a break... unless they're free-loading children who aren't paying their share from their own pockets. So, there is a family penalty, but its ameliorated somewhat by the non-linear increase per person due to the room-sharing.

Adults who each pay their own way and share as many as can fit in a room get the biggest break.

If the name of the ship is the same as the Project Codename for the resort, it has been revealed already and is in the rumor tracker. The name of the project is:
Hubble

As I mentioned above, it is comparable not to a 3 night stay but a two night, which DCL doesn't do. So, figure 66% of that amount.

===

Now, let's build our own adventure for a 2-night event:
  • Deluxe Resort room: A random day in Feb shows the monorail resort rooms at about $600. So, two nights is $1,200.
  • Signature Meals with characters: Using CRT as a guide, about $60 adults (not counting alcohol purchase). So, four meals is $240
  • After Hours access to SWL: Using the After Hours pricing, let's call it $100, so, $200 for two nights.
  • LARPing at an average 8 hours per day. Using Escape Rooms, Murder Mystery Dinners, and TheVoid as a guide, let's say $50 an hour, or $400 day, or for two days: $800.
  • Light breakfast, drinks, snacks like you find a club level rooms or a cruise ship... let's say $50/day, so, a total of $100.
That comes to: $2,540. About $700 less than the SW Resort for one person. Perhaps I'm low-balling estimates? Perhaps the SW cachet and theming is worth that much more?

Let's do this for a family of five people...
  • Deluxe Resort room: A random day in Feb shows the monorail resort rooms at about $700. So, two nights is $1,400.
  • Signature Meals with characters: Using CRT as a guide, about $60/$50 children (not counting alcohol purchase). So, four meals for five people is $440
  • After Hours access to SWL: Using the After Hours pricing, let's call it $100, so, $200 for two nights. $1,000 for 5 people.
  • LARPing at an average 8 hours per day. Using Escape Rooms, Murder Mystery Dinners, and TheVoid as a guide, let's say $50 an hour, or $2000 day for five, or for two days: $4000.
  • Light breakfast, drinks, snacks like you find a club level rooms or a cruise ship... let's say $50/day, so, a total of $500.
That comes to: $7,340, which is pretty much what the rumored cost for five will be for SWR.

WDW's Star Wars hotel. Lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom