The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

SuddenStorm

I know it was huge PR mess. Ironically Wikipedia says that taste testers seemed to actually like it but were overpowered by the people against it and people in the south. I’m just curious about what it tasted like. Since it was such a big mess I know the term New Coke but not the flavor so I’m tempted by the promotion to actually try it.

I didn’t know know about KFC one though!

They just re released it to promote Stranger Things. $20 for two on the website. Yes, I caved. It's perfectly passable but I prefer normal Coke

The_Mesh_Hatter

Just watched Poppins Returns on Netflix. It seems I’m in the minority, because I loved it. It had all the magic of the original. It felt like an instant classic. I’d consider it the most “Disney” movie Disney’s put out in a long time. Loved the classic animation style when they go into the vase.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Took my son to TSI today. What a gem with all of those trees/ shade and old school DL charm. It has to be the most underrated thing at Disneyland. The fact that it exists in 2019 even in its dumbed down state makes me very happy. We spent an hour there running around the entire island and ran through those bridges over and over again. Much more fun than standing in line for Dumbo.

EDIT: not to mention the fact that it’s always empty.

Last edited:

Rich T

Just watched Poppins Returns on Netflix. It seems I’m in the minority, because I loved it. It had all the magic of the original. It felt like an instant classic. I’d consider it the most “Disney” movie Disney’s put out in a long time. Loved the classic animation style when they go into the vase.
I liked it a lot; it was fun and the songs were great. BUT, no one can deny that it matches the story beats and song-placement of the original to the point where it's kinda weird. ESPECIALLY having a not-necessary musical scene with Meryll Streep standing in for the not-necessary musical scene with Ed Wynn. And the Lamplighter dance was not nearly as good as Step in Time-- Not even close. Also, the climactic race to Big Ben was pretty stupid, considering Mary Poppins could have just flown up there any time she wanted. :D

But, yeah, I loved it anyway. The animated sequence was gold. And, in the new movie's defense, all the Poppins books are pretty much carbon copies of each other as far as structure, yet are all entertaining.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I liked it a lot; it was fun and the songs were great. BUT, no one can deny that it matches the story beats and song-placement of the original to the point where it's kinda weird. ESPECIALLY having a not-necessary musical scene with Meryll Streep standing in for the not-necessary musical scene with Ed Wynn. And the Lamplighter dance was not nearly as good as Step in Time-- Not even close. Also, the climactic race to Big Ben was pretty stupid, considering Mary Poppins could have just flown up there any time she wanted. :D

But, yeah, I loved it anyway. The animated sequence was gold. And, in the new movie's defense, all the Poppins books are pretty much carbon copies of each other as far as structure, yet are all entertaining.

The animated sequence was fantastic. Made me miss hand drawn animation.

The_Mesh_Hatter

Agree about Big Ben (and also the questionable moral of the movie: that one should not give money to begging bird ladies), but I loved the Streep scene because: #1 it’s Streep, and #2 that sequence was one of the most memorable parts from the books for me.

Nirya

For a very brief moment, Jack in the Box attempted changing their name to Monterey Jack's and dropping all clown references. That didn't last long. :D

They tried to rebrand again to JBX at one point. We got a few up here, and it was like a gastropub version (you could even buy beer if you went inside to eat). I think the only thing they ended up keeping from that menu were the paninis.

Rich T

Call me
They just re released it to promote Stranger Things. $20 for two on the website. Yes, I caved. It's perfectly passable but I prefer normal Coke
Call me Tinfoil Hat Guy, but I swear the "Classic" Coke that appeared after the failure of "New" Coke does NOT taste the same as "Original" Coke. Not to me. I'm not calling Shenanigans, mind you. No way.

Rich T

It is pretty depressing to think that we might never again see a full hand drawn feature from Disney ever again.
The public will eventually tire of CGI. It's already happening. I think we'll see more hand drawn features from Disney in the future... after another studio does it first and makes a fortune. Spiderverse came close.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Agree about Big Ben (and also the questionable moral of the movie: that one should not give money to begging bird ladies), but I loved the Streep scene because: #1 it’s Streep, and #2 that sequence was one of the most memorable parts from the books for me.

Your father wanted to help a homeless lady but he didn’t so CONGRATS! Your home is saved!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom