The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

mickEblu

Original Poster
Did it sound like Tex Ritter? Did the mouth move? What did he say? Did he advertise DVC?

Lol sorry I hope it didn’t make it sound like his lips move. A recording of Big Al is played from a speaker somewhere.

It’s hard to say because he was just kind of talking in a low voice with a few grunts. Something about blood on a saddle. Not sure.

Lol jk no “Blood on the Saddle” references and he was just taking in a low voice with a few grunts. You don’t hear that signature drawl that you do when he’s singing. I think I heard a guitar strum too. I missed the bulk of it on my recording.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

Tropical Hideway is a gem. I said it was a little too slick looking when it first opened but it’s very Disneyland. I’ve also been getting lucky with a table right on the water the last 3 or so times we’ve gotten a snack there. They stopped selling the egg rolls unfortunately but the pork bao’s are good. Also, not sure who needs to hear this but if you are just getting food you do not need to wait in the long dole whip line that spills out in the walkway. Just pass it and go straight to the food. Lastly, I don’t think I realized just how great Tropical Hideaway is integrated with the Tiki Room. You can take that ramp from Hideaway and go all the way around Tiki Room to the VIP bathrooms without having to go out into that main Adventureland path at all.

One of the most charming additions of the last several years. It’s tasteful and subtle and feels like it’s always been there. Sure, to some extent it falls victim to being themed to “everyone’s meta idea of Disneyland” as opposed to its own unique thing (kind of like the Adventureland Treehouse, which I also adore), but this is a gentle criticism and really it’s the best we can hope for in the current climate.

Tropical Hideaway and Adventureland Treehouse give me hope that modern WDI could actually pull off a Tomorrowland upgrade.

Oh yeah, Galaxies Edge. I had a laundry list of things that disappointed me about it when it first opened. The trees have grown in quite nicely. The beigeness of it all doesn’t even bother me anymore. Having Boba Fett, Mando, those new little Droids in addition to the usual walk around characters definitely helps. I’d still like to see a lot more random droids and aliens walking around but all the talking characters do add a special life to the area as well as bit of randomness and unpredictability to your day. It’s fun seeing our kids and nephews engaging with them. Especially Kylo and the stormtroopers. I still would love to see a water feature somewhere. A waterfall on the berm where the bantha mover was supposed to be would be a nice touch. In short, the land has grown on me. It’s not perfect by any means and sometimes I go 2-3 trips without even stepping foot in there for various reasons but it’s not too far off from being a solid land. It needs the Dinner theatre and more presence of the FORCE that isn’t behind a paywall. And a lightsaber duel happening somewhere in the land randomly everyday.

I’ve lightened up on GE too. It has a cool vibe at night. Food is good. Rise is excellent IMO. Falcon could be fun with a new/better film.

But I agree, it still desperately needs water features. And kinetic energy/robots.

The Indiana Jones queue is undefeated and will probably never be defeated. What a work of art. Yesterday I was really appreciating that high ceiling at load with all the vines and perfect lighting.

One of the all-time great queues, I similarly am impressed by it year after year. Not sure if this is heresy but it’s possible I enjoy the queue even more than the ride. Just wish they’d play Eye on the Globe in full.

Even though the fog in the main chamber hasn’t been working again.

Ugh.

In the Parks
No
One of the most charming additions of the last several years. It’s tasteful and subtle and feels like it’s always been there. Sure, to some extent it falls victim to being themed to “everyone’s meta idea of Disneyland” as opposed to its own unique thing (kind of like the Adventureland Treehouse, which I also adore), but this is a gentle criticism and really it’s the best we can hope for in the current climate.

Tropical Hideaway and Adventureland Treehouse give me hope that modern WDI could actually pull off a Tomorrowland upgrade.

I’ve lightened up on GE too. It has a cool vibe at night. Food is good. Rise is excellent IMO. Falcon could be fun with a new/better film.

But I agree, it still desperately needs water features. And kinetic energy/robots.

One of the all-time great queues, I similarly am impressed by it year after year. Not sure if this is heresy but it’s possible I enjoy the queue even more than the ride. Just wish they’d play Eye on the Globe in full.

Ugh.
Don't worry about IJA. Soon WDW will have it's own inferior version with even more broken effects, so the DL version will look great in comparison no matter what condition it's actually in.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

Don't worry about IJA. Soon WDW will have it's own inferior version with even more broken effects, so the DL version will look great in comparison no matter what condition it's actually in.

Haha. I liked Dinosaur as a kid; I’m sad to see it go.

My expectations really aren’t that high. At the end of the day, if they’d bring back Eye on the Globe, I’d be a happy man. Regardless of the actual ride’s perennial state of disrepair.

But I’ll say this… I go to DL a lot, and I haven’t experienced a working boulder scene since 2019. I feel like they can do better.

PiratesMansion

Some misc thoughts from my trip yesterday…

Big Al looks great! He talks too. Not sure if I saw that mentioned anywhere.

I was a little too critical on Galaxies Edge and to a much lesser extent Tropical Hideway. Tropical Hideway is a gem. I said it was a little too slick looking when it first opened but it’s very Disneyland. I’ve also been getting lucky with a table right on the water the last 3 or so times we’ve gotten a snack there. They stopped selling the egg rolls unfortunately but the pork bao’s are good. Also, not sure who needs to hear this but if you are just getting food you do not need to wait in the long dole whip line that spills out in the walkway. Just pass it and go straight to the food. Lastly, I don’t think I realized just how great Tropical Hideaway is integrated with the Tiki Room. You can take that ramp from Hideaway and go all the way around Tiki Room to the VIP bathrooms without having to go out into that main Adventureland path at all.

Had a Top 2 skipper if not the best Jungle Cruise skipper I’ve ever experienced on Jungle Cruise yesterday. His name is Jackson. Very funny and a lot of energy. He seemed to have a few new jokes and went “off script” a bit. A good skipper makes a huge difference on Jungle Cruise.

Oh yeah, Galaxies Edge. I had a laundry list of things that disappointed me about it when it first opened. The trees have grown in quite nicely. The beigeness of it all doesn’t even bother me anymore. Having Boba Fett, Mando, those new little Droids in addition to the usual walk around characters definitely helps. I’d still like to see a lot more random droids and aliens walking around but all the talking characters do add a special life to the area as well as bit of randomness and unpredictability to your day. It’s fun seeing our kids and nephews engaging with them. Especially Kylo and the stormtroopers. I still would love to see a water feature somewhere. A waterfall on the berm where the bantha mover was supposed to be would be a nice touch. In short, the land has grown on me. It’s not perfect by any means and sometimes I go 2-3 trips without even stepping foot in there for various reasons but it’s not too far off from being a solid land. It needs the Dinner theatre and more presence of the FORCE that isn’t behind a paywall. And a lightsaber duel happening somewhere in the land randomly everyday.

The Indiana Jones queue is undefeated and will probably never be defeated. What a work of art. Yesterday I was really appreciating that high ceiling at load with all the vines and perfect lighting. Indy in general has just really been hitting for me lately. Even though the fog in the main chamber hasn’t been working again.

Forgot how good the Hoth scene on Star Tours is. 0/3 for Mando/ Grogu transmission now.

That huge Pixar thing in the middle of the esplanade is a dud… at least a night. So weird to have this huge thing sitting there in the dark. It should be lit up.
I actually did need to hear the bit about the Tropical Hideaway food, thank you! I'd held off because of that giant line in the past. Now I'll actually try it! I love the look of it, especially at night.

I think part of things seeming better is simply getting used to them and also them beginning to age. Everything in the park more or less feels a bit older, and now that these places aren't brand new anymore, they fit better. I feel like WDI has forgotten how to age things, and so things that are brand new often look it and clash as a result. Not a problem with TH or SWGE anymore.

I really enjoyed Docking Bay 7 on my last trip. Great food there! Now I just need to go back and try the chicken.

Last edited:

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

Wow really? It’s worked for me every time since the last nig refurb last year. 5/5 or something like that.

Wow, my luck is that bad, huh? I figured it was a distant memory for most of us lol. Makes me feel better, actually, to know the effect is still (at least sometimes) functional.

Maybe it’s because I typically hit Indy shortly after rope drop. My sense is that the timing/rhythm of the vehicles is a little off right after opening (and also just before closing). My vehicles frequently get stuck in the dart room, and then the rest of the ride is thrown off.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I actually did need to hear the bit about the Tropical Hideaway food, thank you! I'd held off because of that giant line in the past. Now I'll actually try it! I love the look of it, especially at night.

I think part of things seeming better is simply getting used to them and also them beginning to age. Everything in the park more or less feels a bit older, and now that these places aren't brand new anymore, they fit better. I feel like WDI jas forgotten how to age things, and so things that are brand new often look it and clash as a result. Not a problem anymore with TH or SWGE anymore.

I really enjoyed Docking Bay 7 on my last trip. Great food there! Now I just need to go back and try the chicken.

No problem! I keep hearing good things about Docking Bay 7 but it just never crosses my mind when I’m there. Haven’t eaten there in a very long time. Might have to give it another try soon.

I agree part of it is just the new things settling in. I also think part of it for me is that pretty much any new major ride/land or news we have gotten post 2019 (excluding the new treehouse) has been so lackluster that it makes me appreciate things like GE. Even rides like Star Tours are so much higher on my list than they used to be. GE has its faults but it’s much better than Avengers Campus. GE also worked the other way in that it also made me appreciate Star Tours more and how it hits all the right notes for a Star Wars attraction.

You see ride throughs of Frozen Journey in Tokyo and it kind of makes realize that the mid/ late 2010’s may not have been the pinnacle of imagineering but they got a lot right. Even Mission Breakout which killed my beloved TOT got a lot right for a quick retheme mandate. Seeing some of the ways they are dropping the ball on TBA also has me feeling this way. It seems like we are at low point in Imagineering at least when it comes to storytelling/ place making.

PiratesMansion

It seems like we are at low point in Imagineering at least when it comes to storytelling/ place making.
I don't know if I personally would say that's the case, I just think modern WDI emphasizes different things than they would have in the past, whether that be because of executive mandates and desires, the changing tastes of people who work there, etc. Sometimes that comes across well, sometimes not. It doesn't help that DLR has gotten a lot of lackluster additions/changes in the recent past, particularly compared to some other parks.

It can be forgotten because some of these things are gone and/or the internet didn't used to be as loud, but older Imagineers put out things that weren't necessarily always winners either. Maelstrom, the Mexico boat ride in Epcot, Meet the World, Body Wars, etc.
I haven’t been on MKs version but if there are more drops and more of those ethereal space sounds I’ll probably like it more.
MK's is more of a proper coaster in the sense that there are more drops that are from a significant height. It's not just the drop, turn, brake run, rinse/repeat that DL's is for much of the time; it's a more-aggressive, yet somewhat smoother, better-padded version of Matterhorn in the dark. It's a distinctive take on the ride with a personality and approach that the other versions don't have at all. Unlike the other versions, it has a post-show. It also has the iconic star tunnel music playing in the queue:

Also, it's huge and makes an impression out of its sheer size in a way that Disneyland's and the others simply do not, as seen in this pic from the WDW Monorail:
1715127639145.png

Ultimately I prefer the DL version (largely because of the station and on-board audio), but there are definitely merits to the WDW version and I can see why many would prefer it. It's certainly my second favorite MK ride, after their Haunted Mansion.

Last edited:

mickEblu

Original Poster
I don't know if I personally would say that's the case, I just think modern WDI emphasizes different things than they would have in the past, whether that be because of executive mandates and desires, the changing tastes of people who work there, etc. Sometimes that comes across well, sometimes not. It doesn't help that DLR has gotten a lot of lackluster additions/changes in the recent past, particularly compared to some other parks.

It can be forgotten because some of these things are gone and/or the internet didn't used to be as loud, but older Imagineers put out things that weren't necessarily always winners either. Maelstrom, the Mexico boat ride in Epcot, Meet the World, Body Wars,

MK's is more of a proper coaster in the sense that there are more drops that are from a significant height. It's not just the drop, turn, brake run, rinse/repeat that DL's is for much of the time; it's a more-aggressive, yet somewhat smoother, better-padded version of Matterhorn in the dark. It's a distinctive take on the ride with a personality and approach that the other versions don't have at all. Unlike the other versions, it has a post-show. It also has the iconic star tunnel music playing in the queue:

Also, it's huge and makes an impression out of its sheer size in a way that Disneyland's and the others simply do not, as seen in this pic from the WDW Monorail:
View attachment 783972

Ultimately I prefer the DL version (largely because of the station and on-board audio), but there are definitely merits to the WDW version and I can see why many would prefer it. It's certainly my second favorite MK ride, after their Haunted Mansion.

Yeah it sounds like I’ll probably prefer MKs. Hopefully I get to ride it before they re-do it or something

Frozen Journey is an E ticket from WDI with OLC money/ oversight. If that’s the best they can do I can only come to the conclusion that this is a low point for Imagineering when it comes to story telling and place making. This is the cherry on top of many other examples. Everything we’re hearing from TBA. Avengers Campus- what is that place supposed to be? FJ is the new poster child for (bad) book report rides. Also, for whatever reason they want to take all drama and suspense out of any ride that’s not based on Marvel or Star Wars. I think it’s a mistake. Kids love that stuff and are very intrigued by it. I feel like the people who are making these rides don’t have kids and are creating things that they think people with kids want.

mlayton144

It can be forgotten because some of these things are gone and/or the internet didn't used to be as loud, but older Imagineers put out things that weren't necessarily always winners either. Maelstrom, the Mexico boat ride in Epcot, Meet the World, Body Wars,

View attachment 783972

This is a tough one , in agreement with above depends on what you’re looking for. Ridden WDW many more times but would say MK is more thrilling and unpredictable along with the better entrance and exit. DLRs is more tame and smoother and more family friendly - again depends on what your lookin for. Personally I just resent DLRs entire Tomorrowland compared to the rest of the park - it just looks neglected and decaying compared to WDW Tomorrowland (sans the speedway) Ride space mountain and leave as quickly as possible next time I visit there

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom