The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

TP2000

"Hey, we have bears here, lets put this bear here. People like bears."

Exactly. You have to wonder what the thought process was here, if there even was one.

Who makes these decisions to place random statues in the park? And does that person have any responsibility to adhere to their alleged "storytelling' design skills that clearly placed this area of DCA as a California State Park circa 1961?

Was there any process here at all? Or did some middle manager just dump that there without checking, or knowing?

mickEblu

Original Poster
Oh wow another picture of that Big Al statue popped up on my feed. That thing is huge! Much bigger than it looked in the first picture I saw. Just right there in the middle of the path. They have to be teasing something I guess. Otherwise what is the point? I mean it doesn’t bother me because of how damn charming it is but it is a bit strange. With that said, many things get a pass from me if they are aesthetically pleasant or beautiful. I’d imagine its why many of us don’t blink when we see the lagoon/ Subs next to the Matterhorn.

TP2000

With that said, many things get a pass from me if they are aesthetically pleasant or beautiful. I’d imagine its why many of us don’t blink when we see the lagoon/ Subs next to the Matterhorn.

Oh, cripes, you're right. The Sub Lagoon and Matterhorn is one of the most charming Walt things about Disneyland. 😍

But then I remember that back in 1960, Walt wasn't bragging about what a good storyteller he was. They keep hitting us over the head now about what vaunted storytellers they are now, and how "storytelling" guides their every move.

So I just wonder what the explanation is for Big Al being in a very different story than he was in the Country Bear Jamboree?

The Empress Lilly

Exactly. You have to wonder what the thought process was here, if there even was one.

Who makes these decisions to place random statues in the park? And does that person have any responsibility to adhere to their alleged "storytelling' design skills that clearly placed this area of DCA as a California State Park circa 1961?

Was there any process here at all? Or did some middle manager just dump that there without checking, or knowing?
I think the main process here is simply Iger's command that the parks only be about Disney anymore. Which then translates as 'if it has bears, turn it into Country Bears' .

Which does then create the irony that in DL the Country Bears are resurrected because 'Disney IP', whereas in WDW the CBJ is transformed into a Disney Song revue because the bears aren't Disney IP.

The Empress Lilly

Oh, cripes, you're right. The Sub Lagoon and Matterhorn is one of the most charming Walt things about Disneyland. 😍

But then I remember that back in 1960, Walt wasn't bragging about what a good storyteller he was. They keep hitting us over the head now about what vaunted storytellers they are now, and how "storytelling" guides their every move.

So I just wonder what the explanation is for Big Al being in a very different story than he was in the Country Bear Jamboree?
DL's themes are less rigid in their time period, place and setting than many later parks. You can not have a German façade next to a British one in EPCOT's WS, but you can in DL's Fantasyland.

Atmosphere, scale, Disneyfication, general aesthetics etc are also part of the placemaking. Not anything goes. You can have a Matterhorn next to a submarine lagoon, but not an aircraft carrier in Frontierland.

In the Parks
No
Just got out of Episode I. I enjoyed it a bunch more this time around! I noticed a ton of details I never saw on the small screen, and the Pod Race scene is paced very well with the additions they made. The acting and script are borderline laughable at times, but overall, an enjoyable trek through the stars (can I say "trek" in a sentence about Star Wars?).

Phroobar

Micechat in the late 2000's: "Imagineers say they might bring CBJ back in by GRR!"
Readers: Oooooh, I miss me some Country Bears!

Now: *CBJ totem pole thing added near GRR*
People: HOW DARE THEY, thematic integrity, etc.
Too bad they can't replace the Wilderness challenge thing with a new CBJ show.

In the Parks
No
Even though I know it’s overpriced, even though I know it won’t be “magical,” even though I know it’s not as good as Disneyland, I still have an unexplainable desire to someday take a Walt Disney World vacation.
Definitely worth a visit (well, maybe worth isn't the right word at this stage of the game). It's very overpriced, but speaking about the place itself...it's a wonderful place.

I grew up going there every year (straight A's permitting) from when I was in utero through 7th grade, and I visited Disneyland 5 times during that same interval. The fact that you are isolated within WDW, far from the outside world, is priceless to me (again, probably not the right word to use right now). Everything seems bigger.

I was converted a bit to Disneyland when I went in 2015 after 10 years away (WDW had switched to FP+, while DL was still classic FP), but part of what converted me was eating Big Thunder BBQ and new DCA and by the time I returned in 2019 both of those were either gone or ruined by IP.

IF I go back, it will be to WDW and likely be next year for my parents' 50th Anniversary (no better place to celebrate that than the place they took us for so many years). Price hasn't been the only reason we haven't gone lately, though, but I hope we can make it work.

All in all, WDW is great. You'll like it, if you can get past all the annoyances/prices they have added.

Consumer

Definitely worth a visit (well, maybe worth isn't the right word at this stage of the game). It's very overpriced, but speaking about the place itself...it's a wonderful place.

I grew up going there every year (straight A's permitting) from when I was in utero through 7th grade, and I visited Disneyland 5 times during that same interval. The fact that you are isolated within WDW, far from the outside world, is priceless to me (again, probably not the right word to use right now). Everything seems bigger.

I was converted a bit to Disneyland when I went in 2015 after 10 years away (WDW had switched to FP+, while DL was still classic FP), but part of what converted me was eating Big Thunder BBQ and new DCA and by the time I returned in 2019 both of those were either gone or ruined by IP.

IF I go back, it will be to WDW and likely be next year for my parents' 50th Anniversary (no better place to celebrate that than the place they took us for so many years). Price hasn't been the only reason we haven't gone lately, though, but I hope we can make it work.

All in all, WDW is great. You'll like it, if you can get past all the annoyances/prices they have added.
I'll say this is likely what gets me the most interested. It definitely seems like a vacation in a way a day trip to Disneyland just doesn't. Another factor that makes me interested is that I don't care that much. Unlike with Disneyland where I'm trying to cram every ride I can into one day, there's really only a handful of must-do attractions in each park, which I would imagine would make for a more leisurely time. Even amongst the must-do's at Magic Kingdom, three of those are CBJ, the Hall of Presidents, and the People Mover - all pretty leisurely attractions.

I know the wait times are longer at WDW, but at Disneyland I average about 17 rides a visit and that's without Genie+ or Lightning Lane. I feel confident I could do all of DHS, Epcot, or DAK in a day without rushing around or getting stressed out when those parks don't even have 17 rides to their names.

If I ever do make it out to WDW, though, I'll wait until the South America section opens at DAK. A new Indiana Jones Adventure is the most exciting addition to WDW since Tower of Terror.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

Curious, why do you think this is a big deal? If I’m not mistaken they’ve had CBJ characters walk around the land in the past.

Just seems like a strange thing to do unless it's intended as a hint toward a forthcoming attraction/overlay.

If a CBJ Show or a little Disneyfication of GRR saves Grizzly Peak for another 20+ years I’m definitely in favor. Much rather have that than it be bulldozed for a single IP land.

Agreed. It's unthinkable to me that they'd completely redo (via an Avatar overlay, etc.) one of the best-themed lands in the park. Then again, they did get rid of ToT...

Consumer

I hate to be the guy who looks at something at TDS and say "let's bring that to the states," but going just off the pictures for their upcoming Tangled ride, let's bring that to the states. I get Frozen has been the talk of the town since its release, but not one of Disney's Frozen rides has actually given me any excitement the way these images have. They capture such perfect atmosphere that reminds me of Splash Mountain and Pirates. Hoping the ride is as good as these photos make it out to be.

1715078527037.png

1715078538575.png

1715078548006.png

waltography

I know the wait times are longer at WDW, but at Disneyland I average about 17 rides a visit and that's without Genie+ or Lightning Lane. I feel confident I could do all of DHS, Epcot, or DAK in a day without rushing around or getting stressed out when those parks don't even have 17 rides to their names.
Can't speak for DHS because I've never been (felt like it had too much overlap to DL/DCA), but can confirm DAK can be done in a very leisurely day, just rope-drop for Avatar and you're set. For EPCOT, you'll want at least two days to satisfactorily feel like you "did" it as a Disneylander; the figure 8 layout really makes you earn it, and you'll want to spend some time just soaking up each pavilion (which are attractions in and of themselves).

I hate to be the guy who looks at something at TDS and say "let's bring that to the states," but going just off the pictures for their upcoming Tangled ride, let's bring that to the states. I get Frozen has been the talk of the town since its release, but not one of Disney's Frozen rides has actually given me any excitement the way these images have. They capture such perfect atmosphere that reminds me of Splash Mountain and Pirates. Hoping the ride is as good as these photos make it out to be.

View attachment 783707
View attachment 783708

View attachment 783709
The way you can see the wires holding up the lanterns in that scene make me feel so nostalgic. I'll wait to see the POV before I start clamoring for it stateside, I've heard rumblings the ride feels too short so I worry it's a Little Mermaid book report situation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom