The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

PiratesMansion

You have described my husband's experience. He's pretty tall, so when we got off of it he said something like "come for the jammed knees, stay for the punch in the legs". 🤣

Neither my daughter nor I had that experience. I just loved the airtime! I could've easily ridden it several more times. hehe...
Precisely. Some trains just aren't designed well for tall people and/or people with long legs.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

Because every time I ride in Morgan cars, the bar, which is either not padded at all or isn't padded nearly enough, is already jammed into my leg before the ride even leaves the station or does anything. There isn't a higher position on the bar that would allow me to ride, so that's my option-bar jammed into thigh or no ride at all. Then once the ride begins I feel each and every bump, turn, jostle, you name it directly jammed into me. Not fun or comfortable. If it was just forceless I'd be fine with that, but alas it's just uncomfortable and painful instead.

And because of how the cars are designed, when we're boarding the cars I also have to deal with the added annoyance that for some reason the bars in each car are all on the same system, so if somebody else in a different row starts trying to put the bar down before I'm situated, the bar starts coming at me when I'm just trying to sit down. I shouldn't be affected by what little Johnny one row ahead of me is doing with his lap bar. That's just bad design.

I'm sure Giant Dipper would be a fun ride without the Morgan trains, but I absolutely cannot stand those trains and they simply do not work for me. And so unless they switch out the trains I will never, ever ride either Big/Giant Dipper roller coaster again-the only coasters in all of California that I have done that I would say that about.

This is wild. Are you a tall drink of water? Have to admit, I've never had this experience -- but then, I'm a pretty small dude at 5'10".

What a bummer. I've never given any thought to the fact that the bars in each car are on the same system. Giant Dipper is such a fun coaster, this issue aside.

Edit: lol, you've confirmed in the previous post you are tall. Yeah, that sucks. Have you done Magnum at Cedar Point? Those lap bars destroy my thighs, and again, I'm not even tall. Those airtime hills at the end... unbelievably fun, but so painful. Probably lots of coasters like this.

Last edited:

Dear Prudence

boo-monsters.gif

Speaking of Marie and Aristocats, I just got the first two books to an ongoing graphic novel series called "The Aristokittens" for my 26th Birthday! 🥰

The Aristokittens: Welcome to the Creature Cafe (Book 1)

View attachment 663487

And "The Aristokittens; The Great Biscuit Bake-Off" (Book 2)
View attachment 663486

For those unfamiliar, it's an ongoing children's graphic novel series by Jennifer Castle where Duchess kittens (Marie, Toulouse, and Berlioz) are running a cafe for animals. I just got started reading the first book "Welcome to the Creature Cafe" last night before bed last night after eating my "Birthday Cookie Cake".
View attachment 663491

As of this post, I'm currently on chapter 4. The first two books were releasing April 2022 with the third book "The Fantastic Rabbit Race" releasing October of this year. I will discuss more on The Aristokittens later in this thread.
OH. MY. GOD.

PiratesMansion

This is wild. Are you a tall drink of water? Have to admit, I've never had this experience -- but then, I'm a pretty small dude at 5'10".

What a bummer. I've never given any thought to the fact that the bars are all on the same system. Giant Dipper is such a fun coaster, this issue aside.
Well, I'm around 6'2", so ostensibly not that much taller, but weird things sometimes happen when you cross 6 feet. But I am also a bit heavier, which doesn't help either.

But given the choice I will choose literally any other wooden coaster train that I've never had an issue with over the Morgans.

I would love to know how Dana Morgan convinced California to fall in love with his trains. They are allegedly lighter (and thus more maintenance friendly) than PTCs, which was until relatively recently the default wooden train in the rest of the US, but egads the ride experience is so much worse. Luckily the Dippers (and Grizzly, for however much longer it's around) are the only coasters I can think of that still run them.

To put my distaste into perspective, I usually love reriding coasters, or the rare occasion of being sent through the station without stopping for another ride. The last time this happened to me was on the San Diego Giant Dipper...I was not thrilled, I was horrified!

DrAlice

Well, I'm around 6'2", so ostensibly not that much taller, but weird things sometimes happen when you cross 6 feet. But I am also a bit heavier, which doesn't help either.

But given the choice I will choose literally any other wooden coaster train that I've never had an issue with over the Morgans.

I would love to know how Dana Morgan convinced California to fall in love with his trains. They are allegedly lighter (and thus more maintenance friendly) than PTCs, which was until relatively recently the default wooden train in the rest of the US, but egads the ride experience is so much worse. Luckily the Dippers (and Grizzly, for however much longer it's around) are the only coasters I can think of that still run them.

To put my distaste into perspective, I usually love reriding coasters, or the rare occasion of being sent through the station without stopping for another ride. The last time this happened to me was on the San Diego Giant Dipper...I was not thrilled, I was horrified!
You and my husband are probably the same size. Imagine his horror that our daughter's favorite ride at DCA for awhile (before she grew taller) was Goofy's Sky School! That one hurts MY knees and I'm only 5'7".

(I honestly think part of the reason she loved it was because he and I would grunt and yell "ouch" multiple times during the ride. haha)

Centauri Space Station

Lol hey until I’m on the plane I can always cancel. We re extremely indecisive on what we want to do next Spring. Looking into cruises now that most cruise lines removed their vax requirements. Driving to the cruise port, parking my car in Long Beach and being done sounds so much more relaxing than a WDW trip.
How old are your kids? My most cherished memories come from between ages 3-8 at WDW, you wouldn’t wanna miss out on your kids getting those memories. Plus MKs Splash will probably still be open and it’s your last chance to see it before the conversion.

CaptinEO

Took a surprise trip to Disneyland this weekend. Disneyland Forever I had never seen before. I don't get it. It had nothing to do with Disneyland and is more movie clip show fireworks.

This seems to be the complaint about Disney Enchantment as well for Magic Kingdom's 50th show.

tcool123

Ron Logan who produced nighttimes (such as Fantasmic! and Illuminations: Reflections of Earth) just passed away.

Whats crazy is I saw him and said hi to him last week on Tuesday as I was setting up an event for school.

He did much for the Disney company and beyond, and based on the stories he would tell in class for the most part he was a family man and would do anything for them.

Some of my friends took it much harder than others as he gave them the connections needed for many of their first job and was a mentor guiding them with advice in life

mickEblu

Original Poster
How old are your kids? My most cherished memories come from between ages 3-8 at WDW, you wouldn’t wanna miss out on your kids getting those memories. Plus MKs Splash will probably still be open and it’s your last chance to see it before the conversion.

My kids at time of travel would be 2.5 and 7.5. I hear you but at the same time they go to Disneyland 25x a year. Still there’s something to be said for “new.” These days my son seems more excited by the hotel then by Disneyland as we go to DL every couple weeks and only stay at a hotel when we re out there every few months. He also just loves hotels.

You still think Splash will be open in March? The fact that the 50th would still be going on gives me slight hope.

Centauri Space Station

My kids at time of travel would be 2.5 and 7.5. I hear you but at the same time they go to Disneyland 25x a year. Still there’s something to be said for “new.” These days my son seems more excited by the hotel then by Disneyland as we go to DL every couple weeks and only stay at a hotel when we re out there every few months. He also just loves hotels.

You still think Splash will be open in March? The fact that the 50th would still be going on gives me slight hope.
Im not sure but I would like to say yes

PiratesMansion

Took a surprise trip to Disneyland this weekend. Disneyland Forever I had never seen before. I don't get it. It had nothing to do with Disneyland and is more movie clip show fireworks.

This seems to be the complaint about Disney Enchantment as well for Magic Kingdom's 50th show.
While that's true, I've never understood the complaint that the fireworks (other than Remember) don't have anything to do with the park. The fireworks shows have pretty much always just been fireworks synchronized (or not) to Disney music, and I think Forever is one of the better examples of such a show. Not the best (that would be the hopefully-returning-soon Happily Ever After), but pretty darn good and much better than Enchantment. Maybe they shouldn't have called it Disneyland Forever, but otherwise I can't really knock it too much.

And to Forever's credit, it included at least a little bit of Walt and the park's origins from the get go. For some reason it took WDW almost a year to figure out that their 50th show should, y'know, reference the resort's history at all.

I truly think Remember was lightning in a bottle, and that there are only so many ways the park can be commemorated in fireworks or spectaculars and be just as compelling as Remember. Celebrate! Tokyo Disneyland did a nice job of this, but I'm skeptical that they could get much more use out of such a formula (not sure if you saw WOC Celebrate, but it was an embarrassingly bad attempt to do something new that nonetheless resembled Remember for the 60th). To me the problem is not that they primarily rely on their movies or IP with the fireworks, but that they seemingly only use music from about five movies. There's a huge library of music that is seemingly off limits for no good reason.

This is probably an unpopular opinion, but judging by more recent firework show attempts, I would actually be fine if the resort just made Forever its default show and ran it...forever.

CaptinEO

While that's true, I've never understood the complaint that the fireworks (other than Remember) don't have anything to do with the park. The fireworks shows have pretty much always just been fireworks synchronized (or not) to Disney music, and I think Forever is one of the better examples of such a show. Not the best (that would be the hopefully-returning-soon Happily Ever After), but pretty darn good and much better than Enchantment. Maybe they shouldn't have called it Disneyland Forever, but otherwise I can't really knock it too much.

And to Forever's credit, it included at least a little bit of Walt and the park's origins from the get go. For some reason it took WDW almost a year to figure out that their 50th show should, y'know, reference the resort's history at all.

I truly think Remember was lightning in a bottle, and that there are only so many ways the park can be commemorated in fireworks or spectaculars and be just as compelling as Remember. Celebrate! Tokyo Disneyland did a nice job of this, but I'm skeptical that they could get much more use out of such a formula (not sure if you saw WOC Celebrate, but it was an embarrassingly bad attempt to do something new that nonetheless resembled Remember for the 60th). To me the problem is not that they primarily rely on their movies or IP with the fireworks, but that they seemingly only use music from about five movies. There's a huge library of music that is seemingly off limits for no good reason.

This is probably an unpopular opinion, but judging by more recent firework show attempts, I would actually be fine if the resort just made Forever its default show and ran it...forever.
I completely agree with you. The shows certainly don't need to be Disneyland themed. It's only in this case because, like you mentioned, the show is titled Disneyland Forever.

WoC Celebrate is the worst Disney show I've ever seen hands down. It's probably what stopped the parks from using Neil Patrick Harris as their spokesperson (not his fault at all).

I also agree that there's no need to make another "Remember Dreams Come True" as it already serves the purpose pretty well.

Couldn't agree more about them using five movies, and it's usually the same songs from each of them too!

How many times do we need "Friend Like Me" "Circle of Life" "Part of Your World" and "How Far I'll Go" in a show?

TP2000

I’m going to assume this has to do with drought, since Californians are currently forbidden from watering their lawns for more than 15 minutes for only like two days a week. There’s no way the state would allow Disneyland to keep up their regular watering of plants and grass.

It depends on where you live. Currently in Anaheim there are no mandatory water restrictions in place, for outdoor watering or otherwise. Anaheim currently has "suggestions" to reduce water use that are "voluntary". OC gets its water from its well managed underground aquifer, and even in the last drought eight years ago we had no mandatory water restrictions ever imposed by the county. The lush lawns on my block proved it.

I also know this because the investment firm that bought my house in Villa Park has yet to disconnect the automatic watering system with the soil sensors, and I can still access it via the App. It's currently still watering the lawn every other night, and watering the landscaping every night. And it's not been put on the market yet. 🤣

TP2000

My God it's hot. It never ceases to amaze me how September is the hottest month of the year in SoCal, and like clockwork we crash into September with a heat wave. Every. Damn. Year.

I'd hate to be at Disneyland this weekend when it's 104! 🔥

Did you guys already see this? It's from 1958 and features the old Los Angeles Airways helicopters. I had friends up in OC who met because the wife was a ticket agent for LA Airways at the Disneyland Hotel in the late 1960's and the husband worked for McDonnel-Douglas and he kept flirting with her at the ticket counter every time Douglas flew him to Anaheim for work. They've both passed away now, but they were a fun couple. And she had some great stories of working for Los Angeles Airways.

This was about a decade before her time there, but it's still a great home movie!

waltography

WSJ is reporting that Disney is exploring something similar to Amazon Prime, so a subscription that could include discounts and perks for Disney+, the theme parks, hotels, cruises, Broadway, and merchandise.

I'm not into this idea at all, it makes zero sense and seems to have zero value given the various memberships Disney fans already have. What's the difference between this and having an AP and D+ subscription?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom