The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

Californian Elitist

Lol hey until I’m on the plane I can always cancel. We re extremely indecisive on what we want to do next Spring. Looking into cruises now that most cruise lines removed their vax requirements. Driving to the cruise port, parking my car in Long Beach and being done sounds so much more relaxing than a WDW trip.
Lol I get it!

I think you should go through with the trip, since it’s already been booked. But, of course, do whatever is best for you and your family.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I walked by it multiple times last week, had zero clue it was fake. Yeah, I like real grass but not sure I'm going to bother getting upset over fake turf.

Well you re a little older than us. We can only hope to get to your level of Zen one day.

PiratesMansion

Well you re a little older than us. We can only hope to get to your level of Zen one day.
I guess my thoughts on grassgate are this:
-Ideally, we'd have regular grass, but the environmental situation appears to be very real in CA. I'm nowhere near the area on a regular basis, but I have seen a fair amount of coverage on drought, water shortages either present now or coming in the future, wildfires, etc. I don't like when it results in changes like this, but I understand it.

-IF that is the reason for the change (it likely is), I would rather they do it with grass than with, say, the environments of the Jungle Cruise, trees, or more dramatic landscaping than typical grass, which to me is nice enough but easily the least essential element of DL landscaping.

-Watering lawns is objectively a more wasteful, less essential use of water than using water for things like hydration or power.

-I don't know that it makes Disneyland look particularly good if the water situation continues to get worse but they're given a pass to continue watering their lawns as if it was 2012. A similar situation nearly happened in March 2020 when Disneyland *almost* was allowed to continue as normal despite covid when everything else was shutting down and, regardless of your feelings of how all of that transpired and whether or not the right thing was done, people were right to call out that granting the park a special exemption in those circumstances made no sense. I could see the same argument being made with water usage should present issues continue.

-Although it is likely the case, we don't yet know for sure if this is a permanent change.

-I find that a lot of the time when these changes are announced they are accompanied by overly zoomed in, unflattering photos to maximize the degree of horribleness they seem to portray. Yes, there's park documentation occurring, but also a thirst for the almighty click. They're going to get more clicks with ZOMG the Sky Is Falling With Unflattering Photo Footage than if they just say in a neutral tone that it's happening and they know it, and this will always inform how they present their information to the public. What I find is that when this technique and those Offensive Changes are spread throughout the internet is that they're typically not nearly as offensive or noticeable in person (as an aside, have you had a chance to see this grass in person? I don't recall). It's all about the way it was originally presented, especially if DRAMA! was (is) involved. I think that's the real test-if I hadn't known about this change and been given the least flattering photo possible declaring its existence, would I have noticed? Granted, for me the answer would probably be no, but perhaps it would be different for you or others who are local.

-I will not judge people for whom this is a deal breaker, but for me it's not. Again, this may be somewhat useless as I'm commenting from Illinois far away from the park and it will be awhile before I see the changes in person, assuming that they are permanent. Perhaps then I will feel differently, but for now, this is not something that I am going to fret about.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I guess my thoughts on grassgate are this:
-Ideally, we'd have regular grass, but the environmental situation appears to be very real in CA. I'm nowhere near the area on a regular basis, but I have seen a fair amount of coverage on drought, water shortages either present now or coming in the future, wildfires, etc. I don't like when it results in changes like this, but I understand it.

-IF that is the reason for the change (it likely is), I would rather they do it with grass than with, say, the environments of the Jungle Cruise, trees, or more dramatic landscaping than typical grass, which to me is nice enough but easily the least essential element of DL landscaping.

-Watering lawns is objectively a more wasteful, less essential use of water than using water for things like hydration or power.

-I don't know that it makes Disneyland look particularly good if the water situation continues to get worse but they're given a pass to continue watering their lawns as if it was 2012. A similar situation nearly happened in March 2020 when Disneyland *almost* was allowed to continue as normal despite covid when everything else was shutting down and, regardless of your feelings of how all of that transpired and whether or not the right thing was done, people were right to call out that granting the park a special exemption in those circumstances made no sense. I could see the same argument being made with water usage should present issues continue.

-Although it is likely the case, we don't yet know for sure if this is a permanent change.

-I find that a lot of the time when these changes are announced they are accompanied by overly zoomed in, unflattering photos to maximize the degree of horribleness they seem to portray. Yes, there's park documentation occurring, but also a thirst for the almighty click. They're going to get more clicks with ZOMG the Sky Is Falling With Unflattering Photo Footage than if they just say in a neutral tone that it's happening and they know it, and this will always inform how they present their information to the public. What I find is that when this technique and those Offensive Changes are spread throughout the internet is that they're typically not nearly as offensive or noticeable in person (as an aside, have you had a chance to see this grass in person? I don't recall). It's all about the way it was originally presented, especially if DRAMA! was (is) involved. I think that's the real test-if I hadn't known about this change and been given the least flattering photo possible declaring its existence, would I have noticed? Granted, for me the answer would probably be no, but perhaps it would be different for you or others who are local.

-I will not judge people for whom this is a deal breaker, but for me it's not. Again, this may be somewhat useless as I'm commenting from Illinois far away from the park and it will be awhile before I see the changes in person, assuming that they are permanent. Perhaps then I will feel differently, but for now, this is not something that I am going to fret about.

I have not seen it in person. I could live it with in small patches/ planters but at HM it seems way too bright/ artificial. It’s a very large space and noticeable. A real theme breaker if you ask me. At least in the photo. I agree many times things aren’t as bad in person as their is much more stimuli to catch your eye. For me the DL landscaping is a big part of why I love the place. I hope that if this is permanent they ditch the turf and put some Ivy there instead.

As far as Disney looking bad there’s always going to be a few people that complain about something. What is there about 100 square feet of grass at DL proper? Is that a big deal? What about the millions of plastic toys they sell? That seems far more detrimental to the environment. But I guess nobody is complaining about that because they can’t see it. I mean people can’t reason and say Disneyland is a world renowned tourist destination. They can get a pass for the 100 square feet of grass. There’s more grass in 2-3 blocks of my neighborhood.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Apparently, Thrill Data thinks there's going to be a lot of fighting this Halloween....

1661808319949.png

PiratesMansion

Not that fake grass is all that terrible, but they have done a special Halloweentime planting in recent years.
That would actually line up and make sense. Maybe it isn't fake grass time yet in that spot.

Maybe it would look better than I'd expect, but that should probably be the last place in the park where the real grass is swapped out IMO.

el_super

Do they normally fully wall it off for the halloween planting? I don't recall them needing to rip everything out for the halloween turnover?

Maybe not... but it could track if they had a limited number of CMs available to do the replanting and need to do it in stages.

Of course it could be *both* Halloween and artificial turf.

Disney Analyst

Maybe not... but it could track if they had a limited number of CMs available to do the replanting and need to do it in stages.

Of course it could be *both* Halloween and artificial turf.

That's sort of my... thought? It would make sense given they seem to be swapping out most the grassy areas as we speak.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Just drink at DCA and Traders Sam's before you go in and you'll be my level of zen.

I really do need to drink more. Lol. Something to take the edge off. Alcohol gives me terrible heartburn. Smoking the green stuff gives me anxiety. I don’t do any of the things that other people do to relax or take the edge off. I also don’t like depending on anything. I’m pretty straight laced over here. As explained above, it’s not entirely by choice.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom