The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

PiratesMansion

I leave for Atlanta this Saturday and leave for Italy exactly 2 weeks from today.
Atlanta's traffic is everything people who haven't been to LA think LA's traffic is and more. My least favorite city to drive in by quite a lot.

If you're going for the more touristy sites (I could picture you skipping these, but just in case), skip World of Coke, but DO go to the Georgia Aquarium and enjoy the only Aquarium in the US with whale sharks!

BuzzedPotatoHead89

If you're going for the more touristy sites (I could picture you skipping these, but just in case), skip World of Coke, but DO go to the Georgia Aquarium and enjoy the only Aquarium in the US with whale sharks!
I’ll second this. While most of the Aquarium does have what you’ll mostly find at Long Beach here in L.A., the large enclosure with the whale sharks and the huge rays is something to behold!

Californian Elitist

Atlanta's traffic is everything people who haven't been to LA think LA's traffic is and more. My least favorite city to drive in by quite a lot.

You’re not the first person to tell me this (regarding the traffic). I’ve also heard that the airport is a madhouse with extremely long lines. Hopefully it won’t be too bad when I go.

Unfortunately, I’ll only have one day to do some exploring! I’m going to a friend’s baby shower, so that’s the main reason why I’ll be in Georgia, but I do plan to sightsee. I want to take advantage of the time I do have. Still trying to figure out what to do. I’m staying in Alpharetta, so I’m going to see if I can do some exploring in both. I’m running out of time. I’ve been more focused on my Italy trip.

lazyboy97o

You’re not the first person to tell me this (regarding the traffic). I’ve also heard that the airport is a madhouse with extremely long lines. Hopefully it won’t be too bad when I go.

Unfortunately, I’ll only have one day to do some exploring! I’m going to a friend’s baby shower, so that’s the main reason why I’ll be in Georgia, but I do plan to sightsee. I want to take advantage of the time I do have. Still trying to figure out what to do. I’m staying in Alpharetta, so I’m going to see if I can do some exploring in both. I’m running out of time. I’ve been more focused on my Italy trip.
Alpharetta is a lot of generic sprawl. They don’t even have The Varsity anymore, so you’ll have to make do with the airport locations or the original in midtown. It’s greasy fast food, but it’s Atlanta’s greasy fast food.

I actually love Hartsfield. It’s huge but all of the terminals are connected underground. The North Terminal and South Terminal are just different sides to the same building with the same connection to the gate concourses, so you can check the TSA wait times and change sides if one side has shorter waits.

Californian Elitist

Alpharetta is a lot of generic sprawl. They don’t even have The Varsity anymore, so you’ll have to make do with the airport locations or the original in midtown. It’s greasy fast food, but it’s Atlanta’s greasy fast food.

I actually love Hartsfield. It’s huge but all of the terminals are connected underground. The North Terminal and South Terminal are just different sides to the same building with the same connection to the gate concourses, so you can check the TSA wait times and change sides if one side has shorter waits.
I did some Google mapping for Alpharetta a while ago, and yeah…not much to see.

Any suggestions for things not too far from the airport? Is Buckhead nearby?

lazyboy97o

I did some Google mapping for Alpharetta a while ago, and yeah…not much to see.

Any suggestions for things not too far from the airport? Is Buckhead nearby?
Buckhead is the north side of Atlanta while the airport is south of the city. The airport is in Hapeville and there’s not much there either unless you’d like to visit the original Chick-Fil-A location or pay a lot of money to drive a Porsche at their facility next to the airport.

Buckhead’s known as the ritzy area but also isn’t too much. The Atlanta History Center is located there and it is a nice museum on a large campus that includes a few different buildings, the main one being The Swan House (aka Cornelius Snow’s mansion in The Hunger Games movies).

Honestly, I’d second the Georgia Aquarium and Centennial Olympic Park as a recommendation if you like aquariums. The MARTA rail line runs between the airport and Alpharetta so you could take advantage. From there you could also take the Atlanta Streetcar (or walk if you feel comfortable doing so) over to Sweet Auburn. Hit up the Sweet Auburn Market (Municipal Market) which has a variety of food stalls inside and then make your way over towards Ebenezer Baptist Church and the King Center. Downtown hasn’t seen the investment of midtown, so it has more blighted areas, but it’s always captivated me. If you like old cemeteries, Oakland Park isn’t far south from the King Center and there’s a nearby MARTA rail station (although access is a bit inconvenient).

Californian Elitist

Buckhead is the north side of Atlanta while the airport is south of the city. The airport is in Hapeville and there’s not much there either unless you’d like to visit the original Chick-Fil-A location or pay a lot of money to drive a Porsche at their facility next to the airport.

Buckhead’s known as the ritzy area but also isn’t too much. The Atlanta History Center is located there and it is a nice museum on a large campus that includes a few different buildings, the main one being The Swan House (aka Cornelius Snow’s mansion in The Hunger Games movies).

Honestly, I’d second the Georgia Aquarium and Centennial Olympic Park as a recommendation if you like aquariums. The MARTA rail line runs between the airport and Alpharetta so you could take advantage. From there you could also take the Atlanta Streetcar (or walk if you feel comfortable doing so) over to Sweet Auburn. Hit up the Sweet Auburn Market (Municipal Market) which has a variety of food stalls inside and then make your way over towards Ebenezer Baptist Church and the King Center. Downtown hasn’t seen the investment of midtown, so it has more blighted areas, but it’s always captivated me. If you like old cemeteries, Oakland Park isn’t far south from the King Center and there’s a nearby MARTA rail station (although access is a bit inconvenient).
THANK YOU! I will look into all of these options tonight and make a decision. This is very, very helpful.

@PiratesMansion Thank you as well!

Phroobar

iu

Consumer

We're learning about National Landmarks in my 6th grade US Geography class so I used it as an excuse to teach about Disneyland. My students were amused at the phrase "wienie" and were disappointed to learn Splash Mountain is closing.

Sailor310

Consumer

Why is World of Color - One's main theme on Spotify but the classic World of Color theme is not? What a travesty. Honestly, I wish the entire World of Color soundtrack was on Spotify, just like Fantasmic!'s soundtrack is.

Rich T

Why is World of Color - One's main theme on Spotify but the classic World of Color theme is not? What a travesty. Honestly, I wish the entire World of Color soundtrack was on Spotify, just like Fantasmic!'s soundtrack is.
Disney does not have the greatest history of making their U.S. park soundtracks available. It’s ridiculous. Europa Park and Efteling release new albums online for nearly every new attraction and show.

Rich T

Tomorrowland ride layering was a cool thing.
Just rode Tron at MK, and one of the things that baffles me is the incredible waste of space there. The area under the canopy feels so empty and lifeless. Why not design that whole plaza as a lively gathering place full of live music, food and supporting attractions? Instead they’ve created an enormous, sterile-looking walkway/ waiting area that feels cold, dull and disconnected from the rest of TL. Looked good on paper, I guess.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom