The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

BuzzedPotatoHead89

The WDW Railroad is finally reopening after being closed since 2018, and because it's WDW, the changes that some Disney sites are calling "enhancements"?

It's just a new spiel, which is...to be expected...and therefore not an enhancement.

They could have added a scene or diorama or something but no...maybe modern Disney just can't do that in a tight timeline of four years.

I suppose I get it though. If people are going to be excited about a new train voiceover, why do the work and actually improve the least interesting Disney railroad this side of Hong Kong?

Confused Always Sunny GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
My question is: will they have a new spiel ready to go for Tiana? Or is that work going to necessitate another closure while they work on the SM show building?

As I recall it only took Disneyland about a year or so to redo the DLRR during the SWGE/RoA project and that included an entirely new stretch of track that included a left turn and significant grading changes. Credit to TDA there.

Californian Elitist

My question is: will they have a new spiel ready to go for Tiana? Or is that work going to necessitate another closure while they work on the SM show building?

As I recall it only took Disneyland about a year or so to redo the DLRR during the SWGE/RoA project and that included an entirely new stretch of track that included a left turn and significant grading changes. Credit to TDA there.
It also included new special effects in the dioramas.

GiveMeTheMusic

The WDW Railroad is finally reopening after being closed since 2018, and because it's WDW, the changes that some Disney sites are calling "enhancements"?

It's just a new spiel, which is...to be expected...and therefore not an enhancement.

They could have added a scene or diorama or something but no...maybe modern Disney just can't do that in a tight timeline of four years.

I suppose I get it though. If people are going to be excited about a new train voiceover, why do the work and actually improve the least interesting Disney railroad this side of Hong Kong?

Confused Always Sunny GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

The WDW Railroad has long been the worst one of all. WDW guests don't expect show scenes or Primeval Worlds or what not, so none were given to them. It's also the least scenic trip of any castle park railroad IMO.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I’ve never been on the WDW train or seen a ride through video but the area around all the train stations seem kind of charming.

I’m still mad they didn’t bring back Rainbow Caverns when they re routed the train tracks for GE. Especially after teasing us with that attraction poster.

Californian Elitist

I enjoy riding a train, but I guess after having ridden Disneyland’s, I expected more than just riding a train around the park?

Show scenes… vignettes… something.
This is how I felt after riding Pirates at MK. It’s my all-time favorite ride ever, and I’m obviously used to our version. Because of this, I don’t find MK’s version enjoyable at all. Yeah, it’s Pirates, but the experience is insufficient.

I’d probably feel the same way about the Railroad.

PiratesMansion

How can a ride on an old-fashioned train be horrid?! I admit it doesn’t offer as much as its DL counterpart, but it’s still charming.
What @Disney Analyst said, but the other trains are better too, not just DL's. Tokyo has Primeval World and meaningfully builds throughout its route to become more and more interesting (which makes sense, as it's the only one that's a literal ride and not transportation; Paris has the Grand Canyon and is at least closer to the main park on average, in addition to offering more stations. Hong Kong's is a little sad and limited compared to the others, but again is closer to the main park and thus has more to see.

WDW's has almost nothing and can't even offer park views most of the time because it's so far removed from everything else. It's cool that you can see the lagoon up front, but what about in back, where you see nothing for a long time and even go under a cement overpass that wouldn't be out of place on an interstate highway? The other trains have more to see, and many of them demonstrate that some thought was put into making things interesting for train passengers to see. WDW's by comparison seems to just exist.

LittleBuford

What @Disney Analyst said, but the other trains are better too, not just DL's. Tokyo has Primeval World and meaningfully builds throughout its route to become more and more interesting (which makes sense, as it's the only one that's a literal ride and not transportation; Paris has the Grand Canyon and is at least closer to the main park on average, in addition to offering more stations. Hong Kong's is a little sad and limited compared to the others, but again is closer to the main park and thus has more to see.

WDW's has almost nothing and can't even offer park views most of the time because it's so far removed from everything else. It's cool that you can see the lagoon up front, but what about in back, where you see nothing for a long time and even go under a cement overpass that wouldn't be out of place on an interstate highway? The other trains have more to see, and many of them demonstrate that some thought was put into making things interesting for train passengers to see. WDW's by comparison seems to just exist.
I definitely see the ways in which it’s lacking certain features, but the experience of riding it is inherently fun and nostalgic.

You Disneylanders are a tough crowd! I love both resorts equally.

Phroobar

The WDW Railroad could be worst. They could show you hillside trees, backstage dumpsters, Camrys and animal shelters like the DAK Wildlife Express train does. Then you are dumped at Planet Watch with no way to get back to the park without getting back on the train. It is the Studio Tour without Catastrophe Canyon and you are held hostage at the end.

iu

lazyboy97o

The northern part of the loop is such a wasted opportunity. It starts to feel like just being in the wilderness but is undermined by the very straight canal and then the entry overpass. It could easily be enhanced.

It’s weird how so much of the Magic Kingdom was clearly an attempt to do something grander than the Disneyland original except the railroad. They even regressed back to only having stations at Main Street and Frontierland.

Sharon&Susan

The lack of scenery on the WDWRR was considered problematic 50 years ago, which would've been fixed if the oil crisis and the EPCOT Center hadn't distracted Disney from polishing up the main park.

mickEblu

Original Poster
So how does the WDWRR compare to the worst parts of the DLRR? Which for most people I assume would be from the end of Small World through the TL station. I think it’s cool we have the Grand Canyon Diorama and Primeval World but it’s probably my least favorite part of the ride unless it’s a really cold or really hot day. I prefer to be outside seeing the park.

Last edited:

PiratesMansion

I definitely see the ways in which it’s lacking certain features, but the experience of riding it is inherently fun and nostalgic.

You Disneylanders are a tough crowd! I love both resorts equally.
I have a hard time being forgiving when I know that an older iteration of an attraction has more to it than a subsequent version.
While it's true that the DLRR didn't originally open with those features, they were added in eventually. At WDW these enhancements became yet another item on the to-do list that they eventually forgot about or decided didn't matter. It could have-should have-been an easy thing to do for the 50th. Alas, nothing won out, as it tends to do.

But apart from Disney, I also visit lots of theme and amusement parks around the country. I can think of several non-Disney parks that have superior train rides to WDW, either by virtue of there being more to see or by the lack of scenery being less of a big deal when I'm not paying such exorbitant ticket prices to enter. Off the top of my head, Silver Dollar City, Dollywood, Busch Gardens Williamsburg, Busch Gardens Tampa, Six Flags Over Texas, Knoebels, and Cedar Point all have more interesting railroads than Magic Kingdom.
So how does the WDWRR compare to the worst parts of the DLRR? Which for most people I assume would be from the end of Small World through the TL station. I think it’s cool we have the Grand Canyon Diorama and Primeval World but it’s probably me least favorite part of the ride unless it’s a really cold or really hot day. I prefer to be outside seeing the park.
Think of it this way: the pass through Splash Mountain is probably the best part of the WDW railroad. That's the high point and there's else nothing comparable really on the WDW route.
There are some nice things that you don't get at Disneyland in Florida: the aforementioned pass right next to Big Thunder (though Tokyo also has this) is one, and because Magic Kingdom doesn't have a berm, you can look out onto the Seven Seas Lagoon and the Contemporary as you approach Main Street station.

But the rest of the route is basically the Adventureland portion of the DLR train ride: just trees, except unlike the DLRR you're almost never close enough to the rest of the park to see anything of interest, and you're in a swamp. No figures, no dioramas, no people on midways. Only trees. That's most of the route.

The worst part is basically the area that I and @lazyboy97o earlier referred to-the stretch at the back of the park-where you're far removed from the park and there's nothing except trees the entire way, but even more so than the rest of the route. But then, right before you get to the Fantasyland station, you literally go under a highway-style overpass, as seen in this photo from the Passport2Dreams blog:
1671756381163.png

It's a low point that no other Disney castle park train approaches.

RE the dioramas: I love them! They add visual interest, and if they weren't there at Disneyland you'd be either looking backstage or in a long featureless tunnel, and DLR is the only park that has two dioramas! I imagine you might miss them if you were on WDW's train, which really and truly has long stretches of nothing to look at. Perhaps a situation where you don't know what you got 'til it's gone.

Here's a POV of the WDW train (pre-Tron closure) if you want to check it out and compare:

TP2000

Okay, gang. The car is gassed up and packed full of presents tonight, my Nav system knows all the In-N-Outs on the route, and tomorrow morning I'll make the beeline down I-15 at 80mph to San Diego for Christmas with the family at the old yet beloved beach house.

Almost the entire nation is an icebox right now with record low temps and record high snowfall. Forecast for San Diego on Christmas Day is Mostly Sunny and 73 degrees. The kids in La Jolla don't get sleds from Santa, they get surfboards. :cool:

Funny Christmas Story: Earlier tonight I celebrated my beautiful trunk packing job by pouring a glass of wine and turning up the stereo. Then one of my favorite Christmas songs came on; The Ronettes with their fabulous Wall Of Sound production of Sleigh Ride from 1963. So of course I was kind of Twisting around the kitchen and the living room, as one naturally does when one has packed a car trunk so beautifully and The Ronettes start singing. The problem is that many rooms in my home have giant plate glass windows, to take in the stunning mountains and surrounding terrain worthy of a theme park's railroad diorama. And all the neighbors also have giant windows. Mid-Twist as the saxophone was wailing I caught sight of two little kids in the next house up the hill laughing their butts off at me and attempting (badly) to Twist. Amateurs! :rolleyes:

When I get back after Christmas, I will make a point of getting to know them better and teaching them how to dance.

Merry Christmas to all, and enjoy some time with family and friends! And don't forget to turn up the music! 🎄

Last edited:

mickEblu

Original Poster
Okay, gang. The car is gassed up and packed full of presents tonight, my Nav system knows all the In-N-Outs on the route, and tomorrow morning I'll make the beeline down I-15 at 80mph to San Diego for Christmas with the family at the old yet beloved beach house.

Almost the entire nation is an icebox right now with record low temps and record high snowfall. Forecast for San Diego on Christmas Day is Mostly Sunny and 73 degrees. The kids in La Jolla don't get sleds from Santa, they get surfboards. :cool:

Funny Christmas Story: Earlier tonight I celebrated my beautiful trunk packing job by pouring a glass of wine and turning up the stereo. Then one of my favorite Christmas songs came on; The Ronettes with their fabulous Wall Of Sound production of Sleigh Ride from 1963. So of course I was kind of Twisting around the kitchen and the living room, as one naturally does when one has packed a car trunk so beautifully and The Ronettes start singing. The problem is that many rooms in my home have giant plate glass windows, to take in the stunning mountains and surrounding terrain worthy of a theme park's railroad diorama. And all the neighbors also have giant windows. Mid-Twist as the saxophone was wailing I caught sight of two little kids in the next house up the hill laughing their butts off at me and attempting (badly) to Twist. Amateurs! :rolleyes:

When I get back after Christmas, I will make a point of getting to know them better and teaching them how to dance.

Merry Christmas to all, and enjoy some time with family and friends! And don't forget to turn up the music! 🎄

Lol, Merry Christmas TP! I love that song but had no idea what it was called or who the Ronettes were. In fact, this made me realize I know very few of the singers names of my favorite Christmas songs. I guess that just means they haven’t made very many great Christmas songs from the 80s on.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom